Better combo. Marshall & Mason or Cam & Dyer?

You know. Upon further review I believe James Brooks and Joe Cribbs were a better combo than Bo and Lionel. Both fall short of Bo but both were much better than Lionel.

Pound for pound James Brooks is the best tailback to ever wear Navy and Orange.

I'd take Cam and Chandler Shakespeare over any other QB-RB combo ever at AU. Cam was a man among boys and had he played another season, yes it would have been harder behind a less experienced OL, but he would have unquestionably the best college football player ever.

WAR CAM EAGLE!!!

Fun question!! If we're just talking ground attack I'd say it's a push. I'm going to cross-compare the duos because Mason was every bit as good moving the chains as Cam. Dyer's skill set was comparable to Marshall in that both were effective and could really hurt a D.

Now if we are just talking pure combo id give a slight edge to Cam/Dyer. Cam's passing game was light years ahead of Marshall but he also had better WRs. Still his accuracy was pinpoint. Also Cam was an irresistible force! You knew it was coming but you physically could not stop him. You could guess the play right, have your best Mike LB in the hole and he'd get ran over or ran around. That breaks an opponents will to know there is literally NOTHING you can do against him. Les Miles expressed it best when he said he needed an extra man "that was invisible, that no one could see", then he could defend against Cam. Marshal/Mason were just better at making you misread the play. I think opponents felt that if they could be more disciplined they could limit the offense. I think that's why they seem to be more confident this season going against us.

I feel the triple option is better with Cameron and Dyer because Cameron is a better thrower but the single read option is better with Marshall and Mason, namely because Marshall is faster and Mason is kinda better inside the tackles than his predecessor

You guys act like read option is the only offense. Marshall isn't a better qb than cam. I'm actually not sure he's better at the read option. I know he's more explosive so he'll have more big plays but cam is going to get at least 3 yards 95% of the time

This was a great question! I spent all weekend pondering it and reading peoples thoughts. Got to say I agree with the Cam/Dyer combo as the better duo. Mason was a better back than Dyer and Cam was a better QB than Marshall was last year. As good as Marshall and Mason were last year Cam still had the best year in college football history and that just can't be brushed aside.

Saying you'd take Cam and anybody is selling Marshal and Mason short IMO. But I would take Cam and any other AU starting RB. Plus Cam and Dyer brought home the hardware and Marshal/Mason did not which counts for something in my book.

If Marshall improves as much this season as I hope, then we should be adding 2014 him and whoever grabs the RB1 spot to the conversation.

Archived