***2015 Auburn Pro Day***

RunInRed

Try to spin...what...? I and others are just basking in your tremendous knowledge of Auburn coaching and player talent. What's to spin?

Don't play stupid. The majority on here have a cute habit of taking something I say and then spinning it into 'X' ridiculous conclusion which turns into a 10 page s***-show about how I supposedly stated, for example, that "Gus is on the hotseat".

Your attempt at a witty "wow, and here I was thinking that Gus' job was stable" line already gave me the impression that this is where you were trying to go. To humor your "wit", no, Gus' job stability is not in jeopardy. However, there are NO breaks on this job. Therefore, Gus has a motive to sell himself and his offense, because that is how you win recruits. That includes speaking well about Marshall's QB ability regardless of whether he actually thinks he can play QB in the NFL or not. He's not testifying in the court of law, he isn't under oath to tell the truth.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to spin...what...? I and others are just basking in your tremendous knowledge of Auburn coaching and player talent. What's to spin?

Don't play stupid. The majority on here have a cute habit of taking something I say and then spinning it into 'X' ridiculous conclusion which turns into a 10 page s***-show about how I supposedly stated, for example, that "Gus is on the hotseat".

Your attempt at a witty "wow, and here I was thinking that Gus' job was stable" line already gave me the impression that this is where you were trying to go. To humor your "wit", no, Gus' job stability is not in jeopardy. However, there are NO breaks on this job. Therefore, Gus has a motive to sell himself and his offense, because that is how you win recruits. That includes speaking well about Marshall's QB ability regardless of whether he actually thinks he can play QB in the NFL or not. He's not testifying in the court of law, he isn't under oath to tell the truth.

So, you're saying CGM is a liar?!

:big:

Bench press mimics the prime move of the upper body by line men...not the power clean...

But a full clean (aka squat clean or just "clean") would mimic the prime movers utilized by the majority of the body used by linemen. Honestly I think a good pairing would be bench press and front squats. It would test relative strength as well as balance since in a well balanced athlete, their 1RM on bench press and front squat should be similar.

Bench press mimics the prime move of the upper body by line men...not the power clean...

But a full clean (aka squat clean or just "clean") would mimic the prime movers utilized by the majority of the body used by linemen. Honestly I think a good pairing would be bench press and front squats. It would test relative strength as well as balance since in a well balanced athlete, their 1RM on bench press and front squat should be similar.

How would you test front squats or the power cleans unless doing them for max? The general idea behind the bench press is to test endurance. Endurance or the lack thereof, shows who has or hasn't been going to the gym, while simultaneously showing brute strength.

I work out some and anybody that does squats, cleans, or dead-lifts can attest that one set of 10 at 70% max will make you lose your breath, so I don't see how you can test for endurance. Testing for max on the other hand, seems kindve cheap because players will get a break and they can essentially earn their money 1x1 at a time.

Grant is big a'f.... Guy SHOULD definitely have a future somewhere... Elite speed, good hands, usually good at knowing when to turn a corner. Could be a good 5th-6th round pick for the right team

Grant is big a'f.... Guy SHOULD definitely have a future somewhere... Elite speed, good hands, usually good at knowing when to turn a corner. Could be a good 5th-6th round pick for the right team

There is a reason why somebody with his numbers wasn't the starting running back. Even on ST, he didnt make a lot of noise there and his forty was just as fast as Ted Ginn Jr. Maybe it's his agility, or his vision, I don't know for certain, but he seemed to be stiff when moving and cuts were slow.

If your linemen are playing from a laying position, you aren't winning many football games.

The bench press mimics absolutely nothing. "Pushing power" is derived from the legs, hips, and glutes. Line play is about leverage (knee bend), not pushing with your arms and chest.

Bill Belichick in attendance ...

3463585.jpg

@JHokanson

why was he there.....don't want any of our tigers on his team at all!

Please shut up. I want our players playing for one of the best coaches in nfl. He's works players and rarely relies on stars.

Not to mention he wins super bowls. I appreciate him personally running drills for our guys. Great for them. Hope CJ is drafted by the Pats

How would you test front squats or the power cleans unless doing them for max? The general idea behind the bench press is to test endurance. Endurance or the lack thereof, shows who has or hasn't been going to the gym, while simultaneously showing brute strength.

I work out some and anybody that does squats, cleans, or dead-lifts can attest that one set of 10 at 70% max will make you lose your breath, so I don't see how you can test for endurance. Testing for max on the other hand, seems kindve cheap because players will get a break and they can essentially earn their money 1x1 at a time.

I wasn't suggesting a 1 rep max of both. I was saying that the 1RM of each should be relatively close. I think doing maybe the 5 rep max or 3 rep max of each may be a good way to go. Or the clean and jerk would be good. Hits virtually every muscle group in the body and displays power in the prime movers utilized in virtually every position in football.

If your linemen are playing from a laying position, you aren't winning many football games.

The bench press mimics absolutely nothing. "Pushing power" is derived from the legs, hips, and glutes. Line play is about leverage (knee bend), not pushing with your arms and chest.

I wouldn't say it mimics nothing, but yes there are definitely better tests they could utilize to test a player's strength.

Big Jeff's 41 ...

I wouldn't say he got full extension on a good number of those

Why don't you go ahead and tell him that....and then we'll count the number of times he bench presses you.

Let's don't go down the "debate whether bench press is a good measure or not" road again. If the NFL uses it as a benchmark, I would suggest that our players make it a priority to do bench press in their workouts. That's all.

Let's don't go down the "debate whether bench press is a good measure or not" road again. If the NFL uses it as a benchmark, I would suggest that our players make it a priority to do bench press in their workouts. That's all.

Solid.

Glad bellacheck was there . Awesome pub and great for our players to learn . He definetly was some AU tigers

meta, any 18 year old that was a part of that defensive line rotation was a clear NFL prospect. You can spit numbers back all you want. He was an interior lineman that wasn't asked to be a pass rusher, and he played significant snaps for a national champion. On top of that, he played significant snaps as part of one of the best units on the team. The defense was the defensive line, and Jeff was a rotation guy at 18. That's very, very good. His career was derailed by injuries. I also find it interesting that you poo-poo'd a guy for "taking up space" when that's basically the job description for any nose tackle. Space eaters get lots and lots of money in the NFL. If Jeff's legs and back were still in working order, he'd be in the NFL right now.

As a fan of your professional football team, who would you rather see your team pick up during the draft or FA? Grant or CAP? Obviously team needs play into this, though.

Two different types of players. You need both types on your team so it would all depend on your needs. Grant isn't as shifty as CAP so you have to get him in space for him to be effective. But when you get Grant in space, look out. CAP can create his space with quick lateral movements as he continues to move forward. Grant has tight hips, but if he had more shiftiness to create his own space, he would be a 1st or high 2nd round feature back.

Archived