Is that what swift justice and transparency looks like

I'm not going vto defend these officers but the bloodlust is ridiculous. Some won't be happy until the cops are hanged.

If they did exactly what they are accused of, the animosity is well placed. They purposely shackled a man's arms and legs so he couldn't protect himself, left him unrestrained inside an open back of a van and drove around crazily so he'd get slammed all over the inside. But they were too rough and it ended up breaking his neck, nearly severing his spinal cord and eventually killing him.

Slightly off topic, but there's no technological barrier to having "black boxes" in vehicles. It's already been done.

It seems like a reasonable requirement for official or government-owned vehicles.

Most business with large vehicle fleets deployed in a area use GPS vehicle tracking systems to maintain near real time information on their vehicles. Companies like Fedex, UPS, AT&T etc. have mounted GPS receivers in almost all their trucks. The vehicle's GPS receiver transmits it's geographic location over the cellular data network back to a central location for analysis by tracking systems.

Supervisors can dispatch the nearest truck and to a location needing assistance or service as needed. Supervisors are also made aware of a truck that is speeding. Private businesses have a need to be efficient and have been using this technology for 15 years. Additional metrics can be collected on the vehicle to include battery condition, fuel economy, mileage, etc..

If a truck was driving erratically to include speeding, quick acceleration, hard stops, or cornering at high speeds, the GPS tracking system could pick it up. These vehicle GPS tracking systems are not what is found on your mobile phone and used for 911 calls. Unions typically dislike these type systems as they are basically monitoring their members.

The police could use the same technology, but they have to pay to install and maintain the GPS receivers, cellular data radios, and pay for data collection and analysis.

http://www.bostonglo...QkiP/story.html

Boston police administrators say the system gives dispatchers the ability to see where officers are, rather than wait for a radio response. Using GPS, they say, accelerates their response to a call for a shooting or an armed robbery.

Davis acknowledged that one of the advantages to installing the system will be the ability to keep track of officers and make sure they are not leaving their district or patrol area without permission or driving recklessly.

http://ravtrack.com/public-safety-avl

http://www.liveviewg...le tracker.html

Are you saying a GPS can provide the same sort of data as sensor/recorders on the vehicle?

I don't see how that's technically possible. It would have to be derived by definition. Observing motion doesn't provide g forces directly. And even military GPS is not that precise (I would guess).

I was referring to a "black box" as a recorder of real time physical forces and audio.

GPS provides locations that can be used to land a plane. It's that precise.

Using two GPS locations of a vehicle you can determine the speed and direction of the vehicle. It is that good and is why unions don't like it. Your supervisor could be waiting for you at the end of the day to ask why you were speeding or driving outside your assigned area or route. Its the same concept as the police used with stopwatches and helicopters. The watched a car cross a line on the road, tripped the stopwatch and then stop the watch when you cross a second line down the road. If you got there too quick you get a ticket.

It does work, it's just like all the other technology such as body cameras, the taxpayer has to pay for it. And big brother cop it watching the other cops.

Oh I concede that it works to a point. And I don't doubt it works in the ways you describe.

What I dispute is that it provides the same quality of physical data you get from an on-board device that can measure acceleration forces and vectors directly and with precision. I am not really talking about location and speed.

And I can't make a technical argument for it, it's just instinctive on my part.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*snip*

I concede that it works to a point. And I don't doubt it works in the ways you describe.

What I dispute is that it provides the same quality of physical data you get from an on-board device that can measure acceleration forces and vectors directly and with precision. I am not really talking about location and speed.

Your instincts would be correct. Have to be a relatively complex device to measure those parameters directly, though. It would need to have accelerometers and various other measuring devices.

*snip*

I concede that it works to a point. And I don't doubt it works in the ways you describe.

Your instincts would be correct. Have to be a relatively complex device to measure those parameters directly, though. It would need to have accelerometers and various other measuring devices.

It's already on the newer cars. You have to pay to turn it on and have some system monitor it. OnStar was one of the first now all the car makers have their version. Fleet operators as I described above have more tailored versions.

Readings from any on-board sensors can be sent back through the tracking system cellular data radio real time. The same concept is in use in newer cars that are equipped with GPS and cellular data radios. It called machine to machine Internet connectivity that allows for a Connected Car. Consumers see it as getting Internet access, locations, directions, information, music, car maintenance diagnostics, collision event reporting, speeding notices, etc. .

It can be use to transmit real time readings about the car to a monitoring location. That monitoring location retains the reported information and provides reports as required. For a fleet owners the supervisor responsible for the vehicle can get a text or e-mail from the system warning of a fleet vehicle that is speeding or is outside it now area. If you have RFID readers in the vehicle you can check inventories. Other warning messages could be added.

*snip*

It's already on the newer cars. You have to pay to turn it on and have some system monitor it. OnStar was one of the first now all the car makers have their version. Fleet operators as I described above have more tailored versions.

Readings from any on-board sensors can be sent back through the tracking system cellular data radio real time. The same concept is in use in newer cars that are equipped with GPS and cellular data radios. It called machine to machine Internet connectivity that allows for a Connected Car. Consumers see it as getting Internet access, locations, directions, information, music, car maintenance diagnostics, collision event reporting, speeding notices, etc. .

It can be use to transmit real time readings about the car to a monitoring location. That monitoring location retains the reported information and provides reports as required. For a fleet owners the supervisor responsible for the vehicle can get a text or e-mail from the system warning of a fleet vehicle that is speeding or is outside it now area. If you have RFID readers in the vehicle you can check inventories. Other warning messages could be added.

Yeah, I get the telemetry option. But I am referring to the sensor package which could be used to simply record data for later download. This would be inexpensive enough to install on every car as a standard feature. In fact, a lot of the data is already being monitored in the form of ABS and traction control.

Alan Dershowitz is the most recent voice to question the wisdom of Baltimore's prosecutor calling it "based on politics and crowd control and it's a show trial"

http://www.mediaite....ay-for-justice/

Is his opinion dishonest and disingenuous?

What Moseby's commentary did, which went far beyond the remarks of an impartial prosecutor, is they insured a change of venue. Changing the venue will make winning their case against these officers much more difficult. Justice is supposedly blind and impartial and its purpose is finding out the truth not satisfying the wishes of an angry mob that doesn't even know what the evidence of the case actually is..

Alan Dershowitz is the most recent voice to question the wisdom of Baltimore's prosecutor calling it "based on politics and crowd control and it's a show trial"

What Moseby's commentary did, which went far beyond the remarks of an impartial prosecutor, is they insured a change of venue. Changing the venue will make winning their case against these officers much more difficult. Justice is supposedly blind and impartial and its purpose is finding out the truth not satisfying the wishes of an angry mob that doesn't even know what the evidence of the case actually is..

Why should anyone believe that TEA party crack pot. He probably listens to Ted Nugent music while poaching baby seals w/ Sarah Palin from the back of a gas guzzling pick up truck.

Why should anyone believe that TEA party crack pot. He probably listens to Ted Nugent music while poaching baby seals w/ Sarah Palin from the back of a gas guzzling pick up truck.

The TEA party has really changed if it let in Dershowitz. He has civil libertarian views, but is also liberal supporting Clinton and Obama and believes in upholding the constitution. So he is for gun control, but only supports changing the 2nd amendment using an amendment to the constitution, not judicial review. An interesting person.

The TEA party has really changed if it let in Dershowitz. He has civil libertarian views, but is also liberal supporting Clinton and Obama and believes in upholding the constitution. So he is for gun control, but only supports changing the 2nd amendment using an amendment to the constitution, not judicial review. An interesting person.

I'm not in the habit of taking up for the TEA party (in its modern incarnation, anyway), but that comment was tongue in cheek.

Dershowitz going hunting, for baby seals, w/ Sarah Palin wasn't what got ya, it was him being a TEA Party guy ?

:roflol:

Evidently the knife he had was illegal in Baltimore. This prosecutor has made a bunch of missteps along the way and she's making it harder for the one actually trying the case to do their job. This makes her look incompetent and not really up to speed on everything.

Evidently the knife he had was illegal in Baltimore. This prosecutor has made a bunch of missteps along the way and she's making it harder for the one actually trying the case to do their job. This makes her look incompetent and not really up to speed on everything.

I'd like to see the knife. I have a torsion bar assisted opening Kershaw 1550 blackout that I can open with one hand as fast as any switchblade, but was purchased legally in Maryland.

I'd like to see the knife. I have a torsion bar assisted opening Kershaw 1550 blackout that I can open with one hand as fast as any switchblade, but was purchased legally in Maryland.

you had better not carry it in Baltimore. Especially if you plan to run like hell on eye contact with 5 O.

you had better not carry it in Baltimore. Especially if you plan to run like hell on eye contact with 5 O.

No doubt. I have a switch blade benchmade. I guess I'd be destined for a special van ride.

It's legal. I've checked the law. I'll carry it wherever I want.

Dershowitz going hunting, for baby seals, w/ Sarah Palin wasn't what got ya, it was him being a TEA Party guy ?

:roflol:

Yep, and you know the TEA party would never take a liberal Jewish guy..........

The crack DA team also got the addresses and legal identities of 2 of the police officer wrong. They issued 2 of them for a school cafeteria supervisor and a plumber.

It turns out the Police Lt that started the arrest has had some mental problems in the last few years and the police and courts were aware.

http://rt.com/usa/255585-freddie-gray-wrong-arrest-warrants/

When the Baltimore State’s Attorney’s Office issued six arrest warrants for the police officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray, two arrest warrants were actually made out for the wrong people.

One warrant was for the arrest of Alicia White, but instead of calling up Baltimore police sergeant Alicia White, bail bondsmen and journalists started phoning East Baltimore elementary school cafeteria manager Alicia White, seeking comment from her family about her arrest.

"The middle initial was off. Her address, her height, her weight, her driver's license number - all of the information was my client's information," Jeremy Eldridge, an attorney representing the misidentified resident, told the Baltimore Sun.

"Her life has been a living hell the past four days,” he said.

Eldridge told the Sun that no one tried to arrest his client but, considering the tension in Baltimore, officials were reckless with “White’s safety by entering the incorrect information in the public database.”

"In light of the violence and emotion our city has seen, to not send someone out and tell her, 'Hey, we issued a warrant for you by mistake' is unreal," Eldridge told the Sun.

The same mistake happened with the arrest warrant for Lt. Brian Rice. An attorney for Rice also said his client’s information was entered incorrectly.

Instead of Lt. Brian Rice, many reporters found Tammy and Brian Rice of Brunswick, Maryland. This Mr. Rice, as it turns out, is a plumber.

The mistake in the arrest warrant for Lt. Brian Rice is notable because he is not a stranger to sheriffs’ offices or the court system. He was hospitalized over mental health concerns and had his gun confiscated three years ago. He was also

READ MORE: Baltimore cop in Freddie Gray arrest once hospitalized over mental health - report

In both cases requests for protective orders were denied by the judge. However, a temporary protective order was issued to Rice for a week in 2013 warning him not to abuse, contact, or go to the home or workplace of the person who had taken him to court. Rice is central to the arrest of Gray on April 12, as it was he who first made eye contact with Gray and gave chase when Gray ran away.

All six of the charged officers posted bail and were released the same day the charges were filed.

http://rt.com/usa/254761-baltimore-cop-hospitalized-mental-health/

Records from the sheriff’s office and court show Baltimore Police Officer Lt. Brian Rice, a central figure in the arrest of Freddie Gray, was hospitalized three years ago over mental health concerns. He also had his gun confiscated.

The report doesn’t indicate how long Officer Rice was hospitalized, but his guns were confiscated, according the Associated Press. The County Carroll Sheriff’s Office report quoted Rice as saying he “could not go on like this” and threatened to commit an act. The act itself was censored in the public version of report.

Within the report, the sheriff’s deputies confiscated Rice’s official and personnel guns based on “credible information.” They also called his commanding officer and transported him to Carroll Hospital Center in April 2012.

The AP contacted Rice, but he wouldn’t comment about the incident.

Rice had twice been accused of domestic violence and was temporarily ordered by a court to stay away from the person in the second case.

He faced action in Maryland’s civil courts over alleged domestic violence in 2008 and 2013, according to public filings. In both cases, requests for protective orders were denied by the judge. For a week in 2013, Rice was also ordered not to abuse, contact, or go to the home or workplace of the second person who took him to court.

Rice is central to the arrest of Freddie Gray on April 12th. It was Rice that first made eye contact with Gray and gave chase when Gray ran away. Law enforcement said the 25-year-old “fled unprovoked” from police in an area known for drug activity. Video from the arrest, taken by a bystander, showed officers on top of Gray and then dragging him to the police van, which eventually transported him to the Western District Police Station. Upon arrival, police found him unconscious in the van and called an ambulance.

If the knife was illegal and being carried concealed by Gray who was on probation, the two bike patrol cops may be out of this, assuming their use of force during the arrest was lawful.

freddie_gray_complaint-600.jpg

If the knife was illegal and being carried concealed by Gray who was on probation, the two bike patrol cops may be out of this, assuming their use of force during the arrest was lawful.

freddie_gray_complaint-600.jpg

We will know nothing until the knife is put as evidence in court.

Either way, someone will have egg on their face. Either Mosby or Officer Miller made a mistake.

Even without the knife she's made this a tough case to prosecute. She has been nothing but political from the outset. Defense lawyers are going to go at the way she handled this. I understand you want to make sure you get a conviction but she never should have even thought about the murder charge. It's as though she did this the way she did to ensure no riots right now but the worst had already passed and another few days wouldn't have caused anything to happen. If she royally screwed up and there is acquittal then there will sure enough be riots.

Even without the knife she's made this a tough case to prosecute. She has been nothing but political from the outset. Defense lawyers are going to go at the way she handled this. I understand you want to make sure you get a conviction but she never should have even thought about the murder charge. It's as though she did this the way she did to ensure no riots right now but the worst had already passed and another few days wouldn't have caused anything to happen. If she royally screwed up and there is acquittal then there will sure enough be riots.

Every single case against a cop is tough. But this is not that hard of a case to prosecute. The 2nd degree murder charge will be hard. The various manslaughter charges, less so.

Every single case against a cop is tough.

I think the S. Carolina case of the cop shooting the man in the back is a pretty easy one.

:gofig:

Every single case against a cop is tough. But this is not that hard of a case to prosecute. The 2nd degree murder charge will be hard. The various manslaughter charges, less so.

You're probably right about the manslaughter charges. I know charging cops is tough and that is why you don't go making it any harder than it already is.

I think the S. Carolina case of the cop shooting the man in the back is a pretty easy one.

:gofig:/>

Even with the video that case will be tougher than convicting a civilian in the same circumstances.

:gofig:

Ok...99% of cases against cops are tough. If you can somehow manage to have video of the full incident you might be able to make it easier. Then again....Eric Garner.

:gofig:/>

Ok...99% of cases against cops are tough. If you can somehow manage to have video of the full incident you might be able to make it easier. Then again....Eric Garner.

the eric garner video shows cops doing their jobs not committing any crime. It was properly no billed.

Archived