Is that what swift justice and transparency looks like

I'm not going vto defend these officers but the bloodlust is ridiculous. Some won't be happy until the cops are hanged.

If they did exactly what they are accused of, the animosity is well placed. They purposely shackled a man's arms and legs so he couldn't protect himself, left him unrestrained inside an open back of a van and drove around crazily so he'd get slammed all over the inside. But they were too rough and it ended up breaking his neck, nearly severing his spinal cord and eventually killing him.

they? Which they.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going vto defend these officers but the bloodlust is ridiculous. Some won't be happy until the cops are hanged.

If they did exactly what they are accused of, the animosity is well placed. They purposely shackled a man's arms and legs so he couldn't protect himself, left him unrestrained inside an open back of a van and drove around crazily so he'd get slammed all over the inside. But they were too rough and it ended up breaking his neck, nearly severing his spinal cord and eventually killing him.

Key word being if. I get the feeling most would just as soon skip the trial and go straight to the execution.

Bergdahl says hi...

I'll be interested to see how a coroner can " rule " this death a homicide.

The investigation concluded that the his death was the result of the actions of other people.

Homi- (human)

-cide (cut,kill)

Doesn't imply intent, though. Only that the death was the result of other people.

I listened to a police officer discuss how many of these street arrests go down. The use of these paddy wagon vans seems to be at the core of the injury risk. In big cities they may use them just to pick up serveral people where police sedans are used elsewhere.

1. If the arrested person resists arrest and when protesting will usually say they can't breath and the handcuffs are too tight.

2. Prisoners often continue to resist as they are placed in the van but often settle down once their friends on the street are out of sight. If the person is high or mentally ill they might continue to be wild.

3. Due to the design of the van police officers dislike climbing into the van to strap the arrested person in with belts while they are acting up. There is a chance of being bit and or spit on as they are in with the prisoner. The risk of HIV infection.

4. The prisoner will often state they are sick and demand to be take to a doctor. If the police takes the prisoner to an emergency room they may spend half a day there just avoiding being booked into jail. Best case they get admitted and avoid jail longer.

In Baltimore multiple things were wrong to cause what happened.

Key word being if. I get the feeling most would just as soon skip the trial and go straight to the execution.

Of course. And that is a position just as wrong as making excuses for them simply because they are cops.

they? Which they.

The hobgoblins that jumped in the van and beat Gray senseless. What they do you think?

they? Which they.

The hobgoblins that jumped in the van and beat Gray senseless. What they do you think?

all 6?

Interesting how those who harp about government abuse of power and overreach are pretty hohum about it in this case.

Ain't it, though? Gotta love sacred cow politics.

I'll give EMT credit for sticking to his guns on the matter.

Yep.

they? Which they.

all 6?

Read the indictments.

they? Which they.

all 6?

I thought it went without saying that I was talking of the four who were actually charged with his death.

Slightly off topic, but there's no technological barrier to having "black boxes" in vehicles. It's already been done.

It seems like a reasonable requirement for official or government-owned vehicles.

Bergdahl says hi...

:rolleyes::thumbsup:

I love when that happens. ;D

Well, let's see. :headscratch:

He was alive when he was put in the van, right?

So at what point did he commit suicide and how?

How does he kill himself by self-inflicting those wounds, shackled, with the means available?

Those are the sort of questions I'd be asking myself. :dunno:

Curious, why did you put "rule" in quotes?

Slightly off topic, but there's no technological barrier to having "black boxes" in vehicles. It's already been done.

It seems like a reasonable requirement for official or government-owned vehicles.

We are running a beta vehicle monitoring program now.

How does he kill himself by self-inflicting those wounds, shackled, with the means available?

ASSumptions.

We do know that he died.

We DON'T know that he was killed ( murdered) on purpose, do we ?

We DON'T know that he died via a tragic result of not being strapped in, do we ? As in, it was an accident.

I put rule in quotation marks because with no witnesses and no other evidence besides the injury sustained while in transit, I don't see how even Bones or freaking Quincy MD can " rule " one way or the other here.

But you sure seem to know.

What do you mean by "we" kemosabi?

ASSumptions.

We do know that he died.

We DON'T know that he died via a tragic result of not being strapped in, do we ? As in, it was an accident.

I put rule in quotation marks because with no witnesses and no other evidence besides the injury sustained while in transit, I don't see how even Bones or freaking Quincy MD can " rule " one way or the other here.

Well apparently, I know more about the role of coroner than you do and I know practically nothing about it. ;D

Most business with large vehicle fleets deployed in a area use GPS vehicle tracking systems to maintain near real time information on their vehicles. Companies like Fedex, UPS, AT&T etc. have mounted GPS receivers in almost all their trucks. The vehicle's GPS receiver transmits it's geographic location over the cellular data network back to a central location for analysis by tracking systems.

Supervisors can dispatch the nearest truck and to a location needing assistance or service as needed. Supervisors are also made aware of a truck that is speeding. Private businesses have a need to be efficient and have been using this technology for 15 years. Additional metrics can be collected on the vehicle to include battery condition, fuel economy, mileage, etc..

If a truck was driving erratically to include speeding, quick acceleration, hard stops, or cornering at high speeds, the GPS tracking system could pick it up. These vehicle GPS tracking systems are not what is found on your mobile phone and used for 911 calls. Unions typically dislike these type systems as they are basically monitoring their members.

The police could use the same technology, but they have to pay to install and maintain the GPS receivers, cellular data radios, and pay for data collection and analysis.

http://www.bostonglo...QkiP/story.html

Boston police administrators say the system gives dispatchers the ability to see where officers are, rather than wait for a radio response. Using GPS, they say, accelerates their response to a call for a shooting or an armed robbery.

Davis acknowledged that one of the advantages to installing the system will be the ability to keep track of officers and make sure they are not leaving their district or patrol area without permission or driving recklessly.

The Baltimore police have GPS tracking system that works with the Blackberry devices the officers carry. The question is, was driver the police van used to transport Gray, carrying a Blackberry that was being tracked?

http://www.policeone...o-Side-Partner/

The Baltimore Police Department (BPD) — which patrols an area of more than 92 square miles and serves to protect a community of more than 641,000 citizens — is the eighth-largest municipal police force in the United States. The PD has nine police districts, each of which is divided into multiple sectors. Needless to say, there are a lot of moving parts to keep track of, and to do so more effectively, the PD has turned to a technology company called Xora (pronounced “Zorah”). Simply put, Xora’s technology, which can be accessed from any Internet-connected computer, enables dispatchers and supervisors to keep track of the exact GPS location of every one of its more than 2,000 sworn law enforcers.

I can hear you now. “Wait, this thing tracks my every move? That sounds an awful lot like a Big Brother thing.”

That perception — and its attendant criticisms — have a legitimate place in the discussion, but the reality of what Xora can do is much, much more complex — and potentially a huge benefit to officer safety and success on the street.

The Xora mobile field force management system is part of a project BPD calls Side Partner — which bundles InterAct PocketCop (on which BPD cops run warrants, check license plates, and whatnot) and Xora’s GPS Field Management System onto department-issued BlackBerry Curve smartphones. (Image by Xora)

The Big Picture

The Xora mobile field force management system is part of a project BPD calls Side Partner — which bundles InterAct PocketCop (on which BPD cops run warrants, check license plates, and whatnot) and Xora’s GPS Field Management System onto department-issued BlackBerry Curve smartphones. Side Partner itself is part of larger mobile strategy at the Baltimore Police Department to help officers be more productive away from their patrol cars. The program is considered by the people at BlackBerry to be sufficiently innovative that the BPD team recently received the prestigious BlackBerry Wireless Leadership Award in the Government category.

In the area on the BlackBerry website dedicated to those awards, Dr. Gayle Guilford, Director of MIS for Baltimore Police Department, was quoted as saying, “Side Partner and the BlackBerry smartphone helps us achieve what our police commissioner wanted — more officers out of cars and into the community, interacting with people on the street in a way that's both safe and with the information they need.”

Enhancing Officer Safety

“The commissioner wanted officers out of the car and in the community,” Director Guilford told PoliceOne when we caught up with her to learn more. “As such, commanders need a way to see where officers are deployed and where to re-deploy if warranted. The GPS mapping solution allows command staff and dispatchers to know where an officer is located. If an officer needs help, the dispatcher can view the map and determine the location of the officer.”

Xora relays the GPS coordinates from each officer’s BlackBerry to a desktop map, where dispatchers and commanders back at the PD can quickly view the locations of all the officers at an event or within a particular area. This ability has been especially helpful in crowd situations, making it much easier and faster to pinpoint officer locations. When many officers are stationed in a crowded area, it can be difficult for dispatchers to find and deploy them quickly. The Xora GPS data also gives administration a better historical picture of how officers are deployed in each sector and district. This makes for much more accurate analysis and reporting, which ultimately — well, hopefully — results in better decision making on future deployment.

Director Guilford tells PoliceOne that for her PD, one such example was Independence Day last year. “During the celebration, at the Inner Harbor, an incident occurred. Officers ran to the incident, however the GPS Mapping solution brought to light how long it took officers to get back to their assigned posts after the incident. As a result, deployment can be based on sending specific units and verifying [the deployment] afterward — historically — if the assignments were correct.”

Likewise, supervisors need to be able to monitor the amount of time it takes for officers to respond to an incident and then return to their previously-held positions. Location data presented by Xora enables dispatchers and supervisors to address these issues so they can make faster and smarter decisions regarding the use of field officer resources.

Cloud Computing

As much as administrators liked the look, touch, and feel of Xora, they were happier still at the “hosted” nature of the application. This is, in geek-speak, a cloud computing solution, ensuring that there is nothing special to install on the department’s computers. Employees with the appropriate approval clearances — specifically, police commanders, department dispatchers, and the police commissioner — can the can access information collected by Xora from any computer with an Internet connection.

Also known as the software as a service (SaaS) model, this type of technology makes it simple and cost-effective for the deployment and upkeep of technology solutions. With SaaS software, updates are made automatically (no downloading new software to the computer, and no “Upgrade Hiccups” commonly associated with those downloads. Other well-known cloud computing solutions are things like Google Maps, and Google Earth, both of which have proven to have excellent uses in law enforcement.

Lessons Learned

Director Guilford offers some advice for other agencies considering the deployment of this technology. “From day one, involve [the] union to over come the ‘Big Brother is watching’ complaint.”

Guilford lists three key things to consider in the deployment of an LE Xora solution:

1.) Test a tool such as an iPad or tablet to view maps in the field

2.) Train investigative units such as internal affairs and remind them that subpoenas are still needed even though the data belongs to the agency

3.) Require commands to use mapping history in deployment and historical review of crime history

What do you mean by "we" kemosabi?

I'll PM you.

...kemosabi...

What do you mean "Wrong Brother?"

The van apparently had a speed and direction GPS tracker on it. I'd like to see its log.

ASSumptions.

We do know that he died.

Oh, I forgot to mention.

I said those were the questions I'd be asking as coroner. Only an "ASS" makes a joke about assumptions when no assumptions have been made. :-\

ASSumptions.

We do know that he died.

Raptor if we lived in the world of, "don't know", you would NEVER have anything to talk about.

I am no Lawyer but I don't think any of the officers were charged with anything considered malicious purposeful murder.

The assault, false imprisonment, and misconduct charges seem to be a slam dunk if it is proven in court that Mr. Gray did nothing to warrant arrest.

Involuntary Manslaughter -The unintentional killing of another human. This differs from first or second degree murder in that the killing is accidental -- resulting from recklessness, criminal negligence or in the commission of a misdemeanor or low-level felony.

In this case a man died and the evidence that we have is that it happened at the hands of the officers. Accident or no accident if I physically harm someone for no reason at all, and they die, I can full well expect that this charge is coming my way. Since there is no evidence provided that warranted an arrest then any actions the officers took is no different than a civilian taking a stranger to the ground. (except the cops have more offenses to answer to)

The vehicular manslaughter and depraved-heart murder charges will be the tough ones to make stick. Again, I am not trying to pretend I know anything about the LAW but I suspect the prosecution will lean heavily on the training received and his signature upon completion. If the officer has went through any training that taught injury or death could result from not using a seat belt in the paddy wagon, and he signed the certificate of completion, then he has zero defense for saying he did not know. I am positive that Baltimore's policy teaches they should be buckled in and I'm also aware of past practice in LAW enforcement not using seat belts in certain cases. We spend hours at my job doing food safety and personal safety training. Same classes every year and we have to sign completion every time. If anyone breaks any of the policies set forth in our training they are terminated with no questions asked. The signature alone wards off any lawsuits and in most all cases prevents the company from paying unemployment out of their insurance.

There is nothing positive about what happened but at very least we can discuss this without race issues being involved. There were 3 black officers and 3 white officers. This is all about IF Law Enforcement used excessive force.

Most business with large vehicle fleets deployed in a area use GPS vehicle tracking systems to maintain near real time information on their vehicles. Companies like Fedex, UPS, AT&T etc. have mounted GPS receivers in almost all their trucks. The vehicle's GPS receiver transmits it's geographic location over the cellular data network back to a central location for analysis by tracking systems.

Supervisors can dispatch the nearest truck and to a location needing assistance or service as needed. Supervisors are also made aware of a truck that is speeding. Private businesses have a need to be efficient and have been using this technology for 15 years. Additional metrics can be collected on the vehicle to include battery condition, fuel economy, mileage, etc..

If a truck was driving erratically to include speeding, quick acceleration, hard stops, or cornering at high speeds, the GPS tracking system could pick it up. These vehicle GPS tracking systems are not what is found on your mobile phone and used for 911 calls. Unions typically dislike these type systems as they are basically monitoring their members.

The police could use the same technology, but they have to pay to install and maintain the GPS receivers, cellular data radios, and pay for data collection and analysis.

Boston police administrators say the system gives dispatchers the ability to see where officers are, rather than wait for a radio response. Using GPS, they say, accelerates their response to a call for a shooting or an armed robbery.

Davis acknowledged that one of the advantages to installing the system will be the ability to keep track of officers and make sure they are not leaving their district or patrol area without permission or driving recklessly.

http://ravtrack.com/public-safety-avl

http://www.liveviewg...le tracker.html

Are you saying a GPS can provide the same sort of data as sensor/recorders on the vehicle?

I don't see how that's technically possible. It would have to be derived by definition. Observing motion doesn't provide g forces directly. And even military GPS is not that precise (I would guess).

I was referring to a "black box" as a recorder of real time physical forces and audio.

http://ravtrack.com/public-safety-avl

http://www.liveviewg...le tracker.html

Are you saying a GPS can provide the same sort of data as sensor/recorders on the vehicle?

I don't see how that's technically possible. It would have to be derived by definition. Observing motion doesn't provide g forces directly. And even military GPS is not that precise (I would guess).

I was referring to a "black box" as a recorder of real time physical forces and audio.

GPS provides locations that can be used to land a plane. It's that precise.

Using two GPS locations of a vehicle you can determine the speed and direction of the vehicle. It is that good and is why unions don't like it. Your supervisor could be waiting for you at the end of the day to ask why you were speeding or driving outside your assigned area or route. Its the same concept as the police used with stopwatches and helicopters. The watched a car cross a line on the road, tripped the stopwatch and then stop the watch when you cross a second line down the road. If you got there too quick you get a ticket.

It does work, it's just like all the other technology such as body cameras, the taxpayer has to pay for it. And big brother cop it watching the other cops.

Archived