2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

14 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Colt McCoy did it well at Texas for 4 years without Marshall speed

Doing it versus big 12 defenses is one thing. Doing it versus SEC defenses is  quite a bit different.

15 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Doing it versus big 12 defenses is one thing. Doing it versus SEC defenses is  quite a bit different.

Pat Sullivan gained 541 net yards rushing in 31 games at Auburn with a 3.4 ypc average.. That was against SEC defenses. I think that's the kind of rushing we'd hope for out of Bo Nix. Enough effective running to force the defense to respect it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's great if you are mobile enough to run the zone read effectively. Colt McCoy did it well at Texas for 4 years without Marshall speed. But even more important than that is the ability to elude the first tackler when pressured by the defense.  I think Bo will be able to do that. It was a real problem with Stidham, along with holding the ball too long.

That's the kind of guy Sean White could've been IMO. Aaron Murray could keep a play alive. Drew Brees has that kind of ability, or at least used to. Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers are maybe a cut above that group while still not quite being "dual threat" guys. Trevor Lawrence is in there, but he's a bigger guy so he might be a little less elusive while being able to take on tacklers a little better. And all of those guys are/were tough and smart. (White obviously not smart away from the game.) That's the kind of guy I'd love for us to be able to build an offense around. Thought Stidham was that guy but, like you said, he didn't make good decisions when the pocket broke down. 

Anyway. Don't base the offense on his mobility but trust him to make plays and to be able to keep the defense honest. A lot of teams win a lot of games that way. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Watched his senior highlights on an al.com piece and he should fit in fine at AU.....looked like had almost no OL in front of him in most games.   Was  under heavy rush on a regular basis and did a pretty good job of avoiding the rush, stepping up or whatever was necessary.   He improvised quite a bit with some high risk throws that probably could not get away with in the SEC....but looked quick minded when pressured.   Will be nice to have him on the team.

Its good Bo is not used to a OL pass blocking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Its good Bo is not used to a OL pass blocking. 

yep....if he gets some good protection next year it should be a happy surprise for him....and free him up to be even better. 

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pat Sullivan gained 541 net yards rushing in 31 games at Auburn with a 3.4 ypc average.. That was against SEC defenses. I think that's the kind of rushing we'd hope for out of Bo Nix. Enough effective running to force the defense to respect it.

Pat Who..........Pat was a smart runner but not sure who was slower Pat or Randy Walls 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Pat Who

Joe Sullivan's brother. 😉

• Haha 2

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Oh that Pat

I hesitated to post this gif given how hopelessly out of date and irrelevant it is, but then I remembered that it's about half as out of date and irrelevant as Pat Sullivan stats.

Image result for snl pat gif

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Joe Sullivan's brother. 😉

Would that be older or younger brother?

1 minute ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh that Pat

As a kid who had no clue at the time I had incredibly unreal expectations for Joe Sullivan and Jerry Beasley when they came to Auburn. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I hesitated to post this gif given how hopelessly out of date and irrelevant it is, but then I remembered that it's about half as out of date and irrelevant as Pat Sullivan stats.

Image result for snl pat gif

Hell it was only 49 years ago.....shoot that seems like yesterday to me........crap that's a beatles song now we're talking old

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Hell it was only 49 years ago.....shoot that seems like yesterday to me........crap that's a beatles song now we're talking old

Fortunately, good music is still good music. That doesn't change, unlike football. 

• Haha 1

Pat may not have been fast but the QB draw was a dangerous weapon. Team were so fixated on Beasly and Bressler that he often picked up very good yardage.

• Like 1

Anyone else watch his new HUDL video? 

Yes he makes some great throws, but did anyone else notice you could almost always tell where he was going to throw because he would rarely look off his receivers? 

Bo may be the next best thing since sliced bread, but he isnt going to be throwing to wide open WRs and is going to have to look his receivers off in the SEC. 

There are some passes in that video where he throws into incredibly small windows. He has the talent, but from that new video alone it looks like he has some work to do...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Yes he makes some great throws, but did anyone else notice you could almost always tell where he was going to throw because he would rarely look off his receivers? 

Bo may be the next best thing since sliced bread, but he isnt going to be throwing to wide open WRs and is going to have to look his receivers off in the SEC. 

There are some passes in that video where he throws into incredibly small windows. He has the talent, but from that new video alone it looks like he has some work to do...

Agree.....did not see him as a slam dunk to start in the fall.  

What we hear all the time from incoming college players is about "speed of the game"....and that's gonna change in a big way, and bigger DBs, etc.    He seems to have the mobility and arm though kind of an unusual passing motion perhaps?    And he will not be able to attempt some of those passes he got away with in HS.  Should be a good competition for the QB job though. .

Stan White needed a redshirt year. Jeff Burger, Reggie Slack and D. Craig were forth year juniors before they became the starter. Jason Campbell was a third year soph. It normally takes some time.

There have been some notable successes recently at other schools with freshman QB's. Maybe the times are a' changin' but nobody should be surprised if it takes a QB a few seasons to be ready to take over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you compare him to let's say the last 5 classes of top QB's there's nothing about him that makes him better than everybody else. There is nothing that makes him worse either really but people that compare him to the QB from Clemson are out of their minds. He's not the type of athlete that guy was in high school. But Tom Brady doesn't just wow people either physically, but how many Brady's are there? 

My point is people talk as if Bo does things that other QB's couldn't do. He likely won't be an all star soon as he hits campus

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you compare him to let's say the last 5 classes of top QB's there's nothing about him that makes him better than everybody else. There is nothing that makes him worse either really but people that compare him to the QB from Clemson are out of their minds. He's not the type of athlete that guy was in high school. But Tom Brady doesn't just wow people either physically, but how many Brady's are there? 

My point is people talk as if Bo does things that other QB's couldn't do. He likely won't be an all star soon as he hits campus

Good points....hoping he does not become a victim of excessive expectation like has occurred in recent years.     Fans need patience ….as does he. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good points....hoping he does not become a victim of excessive expectation like has occurred in recent years.     Fans need patience ….as does he. 

The ONE thing we as a school can't let happen is rush him and ruin his confidence.....the world is watching with how we handle him. It's not fair but he can't be treated like most recruits. We need credibility again. Imo. Can't mess this one up

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Can't mess this one up

JMO but hard to distinguish if we "mess things up"....or the players just don't live up to the hype....which is an issue at about every school....else, why all the transfers of top rated players.    Some players just seem to max out in HS.

But I agree....rushing his development is not good for anyone. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but hard to distinguish if we "mess things up"....or the players just don't live up to the hype....which is an issue at about every school....else, why all the transfers of top rated players.    Some players just seem to max out in HS.

With Bo either or doesn't matter. He's a 5 star QB that EVERYBODY will look to see how his career went and from that either positive or negative recruiting will follow from that. Every other school aren't in our position. It's easy to negative recruit Gus right now, he hasn't developed a QB. Most our competition isn't as inconsistent as us. And no matter what nothing will bring talent into a school more than pointing to kids coming to a school and doing well then they get drafted. Period

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Top rated players transfer when they are beaten out by other top rated players.

Cam Newton, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray are a few who quickly come to mind. Jalen Hurts is the presumptive starter for Oklahoma next year. Kelly Bryant is the presumptive starter for Missouri. 

I don’t think Bo is as fragile as some are suggesting. He has been groomed by his dad for this moment, all of his life. I do believe it’s in his best interest to redshirt if at all possible, but I don’t think being thrown into the fire as a first year starter will affect him in a negative way like it might other recruits.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Top rated players transfer when they are beaten out by other top rated players.

Cam Newton, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray are a few who quickly come to mind. Jalen Hurts is the presumptive starter for Oklahoma next year. Kelly Bryant is the presumptive starter for Missouri. 

QBs probably transfer more than any position percentage wise....primarily because if you are not the starter, you are not going to play much if at all. 

Just looking at all the transfers in recent years....Burrows to LSU, two bama QBs before Hurt, Patterson to Mich, Fields and Eason from UGa.....Couple guys departed TAMU before Murray and more still,     Seems that if you recruit two or three very good QBs, you are likely to see at least one of them leave.  JMO but JJ made a big mistake no transferring from AU after it became obvious that he was not going to play much.  . 

• Like 1