2019 5* QB Bo Nix Commits to AU!!!

bigsixfive

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

QBs probably transfer more than any position percentage wise....primarily because if you are not the starter, you are not going to play much if at all. 

Just looking at all the transfers in recent years....Burrows to LSU, two bama QBs before Hurt, Patterson to Mich, Fields and Eason from UGa.....Couple guys departed TAMU before Murray and more still,     Seems that if you recruit two or three very good QBs, you are likely to see at least one of them leave.  JMO but JJ made a big mistake no transferring from AU after it became obvious that he was not going to play much.  . 

Where would JJ have played?

43 minutes ago, alexava said:

Where would JJ have played?

Probably FCS would have been OK for him.    He had talent and was athletic.....and JMO but the level of the opposition here was too much for him.:dunno:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Probably FCS would have been OK for him.    He had talent and was athletic.....and JMO but the level of the opposition here was too much for him.:dunno:

Could've pulled a Roc Thomas and found a Jax St more than happy to roll the dice on him. 

And, like Roc Thomas, a little taste of success against weaker competition could've gotten him back on track. Like they say in basketball, nothing like a couple free throws to break a shooter's slump. 

• Like 3

Just now, McLoofus said:

Could've pulled a Roc Thomas and found a Jax St more than happy to roll the dice on him. 

And, like Roc Thomas, a little taste of success against weaker competition could've gotten him back on track. Like they say in basketball, nothing like a couple free throws to break a shooter's slump. 

Roc was fine and could have had a good role at AU …just not what he wanted ...but I think "it"  got into JJ's head.   A change of scenery and little lesser opposition and he would have had some fun playing regularly. I doubt he will look back at his time at AU as a good time in his life....which is too bad. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AU64 said:

I doubt he will look back at his time at AU as a good time in his life....which is too bad. 

I don't. JJ6 still went to Auburn. He still had the college life at a big time program in the SEC. Football got him the college experience. It opened the door for everything he experienced in college. There is no doubt that the experience in Auburn would be a better experience than at Jax State. Football just wasn't in the cards for him. JJ6 is one of those who max out in high school. 

Look what he has(not) done with football after college... 

He of course went undrafted, and got an invite to the Giants. Didn't make it, signed as a practice squad member with a team in the CFL, then signed with an arena team based in Columbus, GA, and was cut from their team as well.

Although JJ6 has gone on record saying he wouldn't change his Auburn experience "Everything I've been through has made me a better man," Johnson said. "It really has changed my life. I'm a family man now. I've got a baby girl. Things are different, but I wouldn't trade them for anything." Link

Bo Nix may turn out to be JJ62.0 or he could leave Auburn holding every single record possible for a QB. He will need to work hard from day 1. Nothing will be given to him. I just wonder what happens when we redshirt Bo and Gatewood takes over next season and balls out? Will Bo stick around possibly 2 or 3 seasons for 1 or 2 years of playing? If Gatewood starts next season, Bo would most likely have to be the next coming of Pat Sullivan to beat out Gatewood assuming Gatewood dominates in 2019. What then? Will Bo's clear love of Auburn allow him to sit the bench behind Gatewood for a few years? Or would Bo transfer? 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, AU64 said:

Roc was fine and could have had a good role at AU …just not what he wanted ...but I think "it"  got into JJ's head.   A change of scenery and little lesser opposition and he would have had some fun playing regularly. I doubt he will look back at his time at AU as a good time in his life....which is too bad. 

Every time someone mentions Roc I think about Mikey........

Mikey: Roc wasn't a good back, he didn't have what it takes to play here against high level competition, it's evident even after he left here

Me: He plays in the NFL.....

Mikey: He owes Auburn for enabling him to reach the NFL 

😂😂😂

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Although JJ6 has gone on record saying he wouldn't change his Auburn experience "Everything I've been through has made me a better man," Johnson said. "It really has changed my life. I'm a family man now. I've got a baby girl. Things are different, but I wouldn't trade them for anything." Link

Thanks.....glad to hear this ..he seemed like a good guy and it could have been easy to reflect back with regret....having fans booing on occasion. Glad he has moved on and not dwelt on "what might have been" or "should have been"     Not too related but it really ticks me off when some former player  (NFL) complains that coaches did not prepare him well enough at AU for the NFL as if his work ethic and skill  had nothing to do with it.  

As you noted, everyone has a "ceiling" and for some that occurs in HS and some bump into it further along in college or higher still. .(for me it was 10th grade) .  Blaming others for personal failures is not the way for a happy life.  Seems like JJ has that figured out.

So back to Bo......hoping his 'ceiling" is far beyond AU...

12 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks.....glad to hear this ..he seemed like a good guy and it could have been easy to reflect back with regret....having fans booing on occasion. Glad he has moved on and not dwelt on "what might have been" or "should have been"     Not too related but it really ticks me off when some former player  (NFL) complains that coaches did not prepare him well enough at AU for the NFL as if his work ethic and skill  had nothing to do with it.  

As you noted, everyone has a "ceiling" and for some that occurs in HS and some bump into it further along in college or higher still. .(for me it was 10th grade) .  Blaming others for personal failures is not the way for a happy life.  Seems like JJ has that figured out.

So back to Bo......hoping his 'ceiling" is far beyond AU...

So coaches didn't matter as far as failures but were influential for success?

Nevermind I don't care

Edited by cole256
  • Facepalm 2

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So coaches didn't matter as far as failures but were influential for success?

Nevermind I don't care

:-\   right ...so everyone can be all pro if they just have the right coaching ?   Wow....

• Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, AU64 said:

:-\   right ...so everyone can be all pro if they just have the right coaching ?   Wow....

No that's not what I said but if coaching doesn't matter why do they get credit for success???

Wow indeed

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Every time someone mentions Roc I think about Mikey........

Mikey: Roc wasn't a good back, he didn't have what it takes to play here against high level competition, it's evident even after he left here

Me: He plays in the NFL.....

Mikey: He owes Auburn for enabling him to reach the NFL 

😂😂😂

I have heard the Roc Thomas thing a bunch from a few people and that always confused me.  He wasn't some stud who was drafted.  Roc was not drafted and signed as a free agent with the Vikings who was cut after 5 games.  He played on the practice squad and has now signed a future contract.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Well, respectfully, you have said that our QB problems last year were because of Chip Lindsey. 

As for JJ, his comments are exactly what a guy in his position is going to say no matter what. I guarantee you that he spends a TON of time wondering "what if". That "made me who I am" thing is something that we all tell ourselves to rationalize mistakes and bad luck, and to mitigate regret. 

I have no doubt in my mind that he could have flourished in the right circumstances. His "ceiling" was never approached in college. And, once again, JJ is hardly the only high school phenom to fail miserably under Gus. In fact, it's more the rule than the exception. 

I would encourage anyone who's really interested in the "development" conversation to read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Greatness requires talent, drive and opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

http://www.hudl.com/v/2B6Qti

Senior year highlights SIAP

I like how he keeps his eyes downfield and he throws on the run really well. Seems to hit the deep route pretty consistently in regards to his accuracy.

17 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I have heard the Roc Thomas thing a bunch from a few people and that always confused me.  He wasn't some stud who was drafted.  Roc was not drafted and signed as a free agent with the Vikings who was cut after 5 games.  He played on the practice squad and has now signed a future contract.  

...which still makes him better than the vast majority of college football players. 

I will buy that Roc was never going to be a true RB1 at Auburn and so he left rather than be a niche player like Grant or OMac. Thing is, that still relies heavily on the judgment of one guy who is coaching for his life again this year after fielding the 78th best offense in CFB, and another guy who just got moved to an off-field position.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will buy that Roc was never going to be a true RB1 at Auburn and so he left rather than be a niche player like Grant or OMac

Me too.

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thing is, that still relies heavily on the judgment of one guy who is coaching for his life again this year after fielding the 78th best offense in CFB

I’m guessing you meant 61st best scoring offense. Same guy has also coached Kerryon, Tre, CAP, Dyer, McFadden, etc. Chris Peterson’s offense was ranked 88th. Doesn’t mean he forgot how to coach offense. 

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

and another guy who just got moved to an off-field position.

Right. Because Horton’s resume suggests he knows nothing about coaching RBs.

You have to be a stud to even make a practice squad of an NFL team. To say otherwise is extremely foolish and you are just exposing yourself as someone who probably never competed a day in their life. Sorry for continuing this ongoing discussion but I just had to say that.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So we are now taking the never-ending RB discussion to a recruit's thread who is not a RB???

really.gif

Well, at least he's no longer a recruit but a signee?

You right, dawg. You right. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, DAG said:

You have to be a stud to even make a practice squad of an NFL team. To say otherwise is extremely foolish and you are just exposing yourself as someone who probably never competed a day in their life. Sorry for continuing this ongoing discussion but I just had to say that.

Here comes @toddc with his cape!!! Don't post and waste his time glancing at this 😂

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

So much for never referencing any of my posts ever again.  :laugh:

Edit:  The assumption of never competing a day in my life is far from accurate as well just to clear the air.

Edited by abw0004

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Here comes @toddc with his cape!!! Don't post and waste his time glancing at this 😂

Ha ha I am not trying to start a fight but I find it laughable that some on here apparently think it is nonchalant to get a chance to play professional. There are people out there who would give everything up just to get a chance to tryout for a team. Let's not talk the NFL. There are thousands upon thousands of athletes who would give it all just to get a division 1 scholarship. That is why someone like a Bo Nix is so impressive because he is considered one of the best in the nation our of thousands of kids who play his position. That is also why I get uptight when people down 3 stars. Like a 3 star player is a very good player in their own right. You know how hard it is to get ranked? They don't give away these rankings like Candy. You are an elite athlete to be in that category. It is a slap in the face to these athletes to down talk them in that manner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

So much for never referencing any of my posts ever again.  :laugh:

Edit:  The assumption of never competing a day in my life is far from accurate as well just to clear the air.

Well I can't stand around and let ignorance fly. 

Just now, DAG said:

Well I can't stand around and let ignorance fly. 

Well if you are standing how are you going to get ignorance while it's flying.?