Malzahn's Post Game Presser - Jacksonville State

RunInRed

I'm not ignorant. I'm tired of coach speak. We all know we sucked today. I just want a head coach to step up and tell it like it is.

That's not how coaching works. He's dealing with a group of young men, mostly under the drinking age, who still have parents involved. When a team wins it's because the players did well. When they lose it's because of the coach.

If our team is struggling with chemistry as some speculate then calling them out makes things worse. The players know they didn't play well and they'll hear about it in film. He owes the media nothing. He took ownership of the offensive struggles and thanked the fans for their part in the game.

Well said. Thank You !!!

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can like this or you can not like it, it does not matter to me because the truth is the truth....we are NOT a good football team....period

If we were not a good team we would have folded in the 4th Q after the fumble and took the loss. We played a bad game today, without several of our top players, against a team that does not stink and we won. Today was tough to watch, but we have some good football in front of us, guaranteed.

WDE

You know how I know you're high?

Anyone else think Gus means running the ball more is what he means when he says help JJ more?I think we need to establish the running game before the passing game will work.And I for one do not want Gus ripping players in public, now in private that's another matter.

BEST POST EVER, Aubinvnam! People need to get perspective! Reading all these posts make me so sad. We are quickly becoming a spoiled and entitled fan base, much like that fan base we all despise. I was ther. I wasn't happy. But I WILL NOT berate our players.

We were over-hyped, thinner than we thought, and obviously not focused before this game. Hopefully, this game will awaken a sleeping giant and some real leaders will emerge.

No sense of urgency from the coaches or the players. I hope it's because they know something we don't.

Seems kinda odd that the coaches and players appear cool, calm, and collected in the wake of a poor performance.

i (very naively and optimistically) believe it is exactly this. I think we went uber vanilla and gambled that we would simple out athlete and out execute jsu. We did not execute. I put that primarily on the coaches.

The example I give is the fake end around to truitt then long pass to roc. Can anyone name me another similarly "jazzy" play that we ran. How many plays did truitt play? We put our speed sweep guy in, faked the speed sweep, the D bit, we throw long to a non receiver. We held back our plays.

We thrrew 3 downfield passes that I recall. The first was uncalled due to offsides by jsu. Second was TD to roc. 3rd was TD to ray at end.

Coaches gambled on vanilla scheme. It almost didn't work. That is my entirely uneducated opinion, combined with poorly executed and uninspired play - with missing star players and humbled OL positioning.

Auburn has never played well when starting at 11:00, never. We have lost many 11 am start games. I always cringe when we get the 11am start announcement.

As for our play, the O was horrible, and the D has been horrible every since Lawson got hurt. It's strange to think one guy can make such a huge difference in a team sport, but since he has been out, it's like we have a completely different defense on the field. I pray to the football gods and the healing god that Hes back to playing shape and in the game next week. the defense in the first half of the Louisville game was so much better than the defense we have fielded in the last 6 quarters of play.

Rough week but were 2-0. I'll take it

War Damn Eagle.

The opposing team starts at 11am, too.

Really? :dunno:, I didn't know that. I thought they started playing at 3 pm.

Auburn just doesn't seem to wake up until the 4th quarter when we play at 11am. If they kept track ot game start times you could go back and look at all the close games that shouldn't have been, and the losses. But I don't know any where where that info is preserved for comparison.

No sense of urgency from the coaches or the players. I hope it's because they know something we don't.

Seems kinda odd that the coaches and players appear cool, calm, and collected in the wake of a poor performance.

i (very naively and optimistically) believe it is exactly this. I think we went uber vanilla and gambled that we would simple out athlete and out execute jsu. We did not execute. I put that primarily on the coaches.

The example I give is the fake end around to truitt then long pass to roc. Can anyone name me another similarly "jazzy" play that we ran. How many plays did truitt play? We put our speed sweep guy in, faked the speed sweep, the D bit, we throw long to a non receiver. We held back our plays.

We thrrew 3 downfield passes that I recall. The first was uncalled due to offsides by jsu. Second was TD to roc. 3rd was TD to ray at end.

Coaches gambled on vanilla scheme. It almost didn't work. That is my entirely uneducated opinion, combined with poorly executed and uninspired play - with missing star players and humbled OL positioning.

why do this? I don't think it was, there is no benefit to going vanilla unless you are ahead by 30 points. Go out and beat the crap out of every team you play if you can. It was another piss poor game plan and coaching. If it weren't for a poor kick by JSU and a Herculean catch by Ray it would have been a big fat L.

Tigerone,

man, i can't explain the rationale for why i think they do it. the same reason they feel the need to give the impression in press conferences that lawson, mathews et al are going to be playing against jsu. there is no point, unless it is coach speak/gamesmanship or something else?

I think Gus has always slow played the beginning of the season with the offense. I believe the coaches thought our depth and better conditioned athletes would pull away in the second half and we would win by 2-3 TD's going away. The players simply didn't play well - and there are dozens of threads discussing all the thoughts as to why - and it just about made it a bad gamble.

I think it would be much better to run the offense. and let the kids play. didnt seem like we ran as varied of plays yesterday as we did against UL.

Just got the chance to watch the video of Gus. He looked like he wanted to vomit. I imagine he is feeling very much like his old friend, Gene, right now. I hope he has it in him to inspire these kids to come out and play better. I think it is mostly up to the position coaches to chew them out and up to the head coach to inspire them. I wonder if they could get Tre Mason or Cam or someone like that to come in and light a fire under these guys. I agree our guys are young and banged up, but they need something to help them play above themselves. Like Peyton did. So proud of that guy.

I waited to the end to speak my piece.... I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN AUBURN TEAM WITH NO LIFE, NO PULSE, AND NO DESIRE TO BE ON A PLAYING FIELD. THEY MADE ME SICK.......Finally when overtime came I saw Peyton Barber show some EMOTION.... I was sick of the whole affair. IF THEY PLAY LIKE THIS NEXT WEEK THEY ARE GOING TO GET THEIR TAILOS WAXED......

War Eagle!!!!

From my seat in the glow of aubietron, our problems begin and end with JJ. We are about where we should be with the exception of QB decision making. JJ smacks of a lot of great talents that fade under the lights. Hope he shakes it. If not bring on the next Marshall, in my opinion who currently plays receiver.

I don't understand the 11 AM comments

Nick Marshall demolished Tennessee after halftime

So now you are a Nick Marshall fan? You hated him last season.

I waited to the end to speak my piece.... I HAVE NEVER SEEN AN AUBURN TEAM WITH NO LIFE, NO PULSE, AND NO DESIRE TO BE ON A PLAYING FIELD. THEY MADE ME SICK.......Finally when overtime came I saw Peyton Barber show some EMOTION.... I was sick of the whole affair. IF THEY PLAY LIKE THIS NEXT WEEK THEY ARE GOING TO GET THEIR TAILOS WAXED......

War Eagle!!!!

This isn't that team. I been negative for a while, but this team genuinely tried. Even Jeremy genuinely tried. They just didn't too well for various reasons. If you're looking for us just blatantly giving up, I refer you to the 2014 Deep South's oldest rivalry

I don't understand the 11 AM comments

Nick Marshall demolished Tennessee after halftime

So now you are a Nick Marshall fan? You hated him last season.

Uh, no...I didn't. I just believed with the obvious passing advantage we had and the clear deficiencies in run blocking and the read option that Jeremy would've been the better option. And there was other individuals who thought exactly like that. Everything up until then was set for you to think like that. Jeremy could hit open receivers on every level.

To spout false things like I hated Marshall is wrong. He was a great QB and would've had NFL potential if he went to Whitfield over the summer.

Perhaps our team and even our coach were and are over rated???

I think both of these have become glaringly obvious. Now we just have to figure out how to duct tape this thing together to get as many wins as possible this year.

So to some of you the season is already over, Gus is overrated, JJ sucks, AU has no RBS or LBS, Lashlee is dead weight, team morale is low, Gus can't call plays, team chemistry is lacking, all of this and the team is 2-0.....I would hate to see some of you if it was 0-2, the AU Family servers may implode.

So to some of you the season is already over, Gus is overrated, JJ sucks, AU has no RBS or LBS, Lashlee is dead weight, team morale is low, Gus can't call plays, team chemistry is lacking, all of this and the team is 2-0.....I would hate to see some of you if it was 0-2, the AU Family servers may implode.

Would be a meltdown for sure ....but then again.....AU was favored by 11 and 40+ points in our opening games.....so, to be 2-0 is a pretty modest accomplishment it seems.

These early games often give us some indication of what's to come.........but the old adage about making the biggest step forward between game #1 and game #2 .....well that's open to debate too I guess......nonetheless, that is what bothers many of us.

The coaches have an opportunity to put the JSU game behind then....but it's going to take a totally different "team" in Baton Rouge.

I think you hit all of the major poopoo points of this board so far...

Archived