Will we see JJ at QB vs. UK?

AURealist

AUBehavior wrote: He's also lucked out on virtually all of his downfield throws. He went 6-10 last week and two of his passes were horrible throws that our receivers managed to come down with.

Horrible throws? A horrible throw is when the QB throws into triple coverage right to a linebacker or DB for the other team. Only one of our QBs have done that six (6) times and it isn't SW.

Gus will start who he thinks is the best to win the game, I'm just hoping for the best and as always cheering for our Auburn Tigers.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sorry but I don't agree with starting JJ. There's just little logic behind it. The only argument I've heard, mentioned in this thread a few times, is that if SW was told ahead of time what the plan was.

Any other scenario would simply be wrong. Someone can be the best practice QB of all time but the games are what matter.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with starting JJ. There's just little logic behind it. The only argument I've heard, mentioned in this thread a few times, is that if SW was told ahead of time what the plan was.

Any other scenario would simply be wrong. Someone can be the best practice QB of all time but the games are what matter.

i would start Sean. But get JJ in at some point and go from there.

Gus and Rhett needs to stick with Sean White for the rest of the season. Maybe put Jason Smith or Ricardo Lweis in to run some wild cat or other trick plays.

i would start Sean. But get JJ in at some point and go from there.

I actually wouldn't argue this one bit. I think Texas A&M has shown a good example of balancing two qbs while they decide what is best for the team.

Still curious what JS could do at QB.

I say all the qbs get some type of red shirt to learn and just let J Wallace play and see what he can do /sarcasm

Gus and Rhett needs to stick with Sean White for the rest of the season. Maybe put Jason Smith or Ricardo Lweis in to run some wild cat or other trick plays.

Agree with this

Fair to whom ?

If the loser who's been dismal comes in and flounders again then what's Gus going to do.... open up the playbook for the new kid ?

After handcuffing him with a deficit?

It'd be better perhaps to come out blazing and then with about a 4TD lead....then let the backup have a go at it. Of course developing a backup QB or RB hasn't really been the Gus way. For if it was then an unknown truth about quarterback development would have been seen before this season began ( and the last was end.)

As for looking good in practice. Who's he looking good against? ...... (This Defense)..... No to be an A'hole. but who hasn't looked good against them this year. Telling me that our QB has made the turn for the better against no a pass rush.... non-tackling... non-run-stopping.... porous secondary.... is not really all that convincing of a statement. He could be totally excelling and still not be effective in this league.

((Again... let the best man win!!!))

Practice against our D may be why JJ looks so good in practice and so bad in the real games.

Whelp that just about seals it for me...jj it is!

Whelp that just about seals it for me...jj it is!

Nicely done.

JJ was benched because he could not read defenses which was proven by his six picks and his confidence being shot. Now, after three weeks on the bench all is right with JJ. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Gus say he would not have to scale back the offense for White because SW knew the offense? To me starting JJ doesn't make any sense. But whoever gets the call I hope they get the job done.

AUBehavior wrote: He's also lucked out on virtually all of his downfield throws. He went 6-10 last week and two of his passes were horrible throws that our receivers managed to come down with.

Horrible throws? A horrible throw is when the QB throws into triple coverage right to a linebacker or DB for the other team. Only one of our QBs have done that six (6) times and it isn't SW.

Gus will start who he thinks is the best to win the game, I'm just hoping for the best and as always cheering for our Auburn Tigers.

I'm not saying that Johnson is necessarily the better option or that he has played well. I'm saying that, if Gus really wants big plays, he will probably choose to start JJ. I don't think White can deliver big plays. His deep passes stayed in the air for a while which usually indicates poor arm strength. He comes off as a good game manager, and it seems like Gus wants more than game manager play.

I'm not saying that Johnson is necessarily the better option or that he has played well. I'm saying that, if Gus really wants big plays, he will probably choose to start JJ. I don't think White can deliver big plays. His deep passes stayed in the air for a while which usually indicates poor arm strength. He comes off as a good game manager, and it seems like Gus wants more than game manager play.

I understand your point about the big plays, I just had to jump on the horrible throw part, I couldn't help myself. When SW has played, it seems Gus only called basic plays so it appeared SW was just a game manager. Why would Gus recruit a QB that he feels doesn't fit his system? I don't know the answer to that one, but I believe SW hasn't been given the same opportunity, through play calling, that JJ has in games. I'm sure it's because Gus has/had much more confidence in JJ when he started. Not so much in SW, no matter what Gus says in interviews.

Bottom line; Gus will start who he feels will be best for the team. The good part is we have a bye week to get the QB ready and work on some much needed areas of improvement. I hope we see some explosive plays on Thursday night, no matter who starts.

Both will play in each game but I think SW will get the start. JJ will have certain plays. If we can develop a downfield passing game that teams have to respect it will help the offense. Just my opinion.

I don't understand the coaches handling of the QB situation. What about the QB situation next year.

Next year is next year.....gotta do something about the remaining seven or eight games this year.

I don't understand the coaches handling of the QB situation. What about the QB situation next year.

Next year is next year.....gotta do something about the remaining seven or eight games this year.

Who's QB coach ?

And how's QB play since Gus's ascendancy in 2012 (December 4, 2012) ??? Yes, NM stole the show that year. But one could argue he came in ready made from junior college and the offense had received daddy's undivided (hands on) attention up to this point. Seeing both of these K.Frazier and JJ melt downs I'm beginning to look for a common denominator, especially when adding in NM's second year.

I personally think if they would use JJ as a Cam or a Tebow type quarterback he would be way more successful and the pass and confidence would open up( inside QB runs ). All of his bad mistakes were to linebackers not respecting him running (zone mostly)JMHO...WDE!!!

If we see JJ in there it better be because SW is hurt and we are sunk if that happens. Everyone talks about all the potential JJ has... and that is based off essentially one half against an awful Arkansas team. The facts are that he stunk it up in 3 straight games. And he was lucky it wasnt ten ints and a few pick 6s. Sean needs to be allowed to play ball with no handcuffs if we are going to have a chance at winning games. I like SW for a number of reasons but the most important one to me is that he shows courage and gamesmanship. He wants to win and he gets fired up during the games which this teams needs. I feel like its contagious and if we have a real firey leader in at QB it will mask some other areas we need help in. Just my .02 cents.

If we see JJ in there it better be because SW is hurt and we are sunk if that happens. Everyone talks about all the potential JJ has... and that is based off essentially one half against an awful Arkansas team. The facts are that he stunk it up in 3 straight games. And he was lucky it wasnt ten ints and a few pick 6s. Sean needs to be allowed to play ball with no handcuffs if we are going to have a chance at winning games. I like SW for a number of reasons but the most important one to me is that he shows courage and gamesmanship. He wants to win and he gets fired up during the games which this teams needs. I feel like its contagious and if we have a real firey leader in at QB it will mask some other areas we need help in. Just my .02 cents.

What are you basing SW off of? They both need to play better.

but, but,

What if Mr White, with no handcuffs, already had the game in hand. Would you accept Mr. Johnson for mop up?

As much as I was against it, I'm actually kind of looking forward to JJ playing. I think it's wrong to pull the starting rug out from under Sean for so many reasons, but we need to find out who our qb for the year will be. Personally, I say we give JJ one more shot to see what he's got. If it's more of the same, go with White the rest of the year. That way there are no lingering questions on the issue.

May not be a next year for him if he doesn't win some games.

As much as I was against it, I'm actually kind of looking forward to JJ playing. I think it's wrong to pull the starting rug out from under Sean for so many reasons, but we need to find out who our qb for the year will be. Personally, I say we give JJ one more shot to see what he's got. If it's more of the same, go with White the rest of the year. That way there are no lingering questions on the issue.

I think we can win with either QB if we get decent play from defense like MSU game. I feel bad for SW. He did exactly what coaches wanted on every snap except for the one interception. He has been a little reckless carrying the ball maybe trying a little too hard. It's better to be lucky than good sometimes. Sean probably hasn't learned the proper technique of hook slide but I'm sure this has been corrected. That being said, I'm fine with JJ getting the start and I'm sure Sean is as well.

If Gus does, in fact start JJ over SW, and JJ performs like he did during the first three games, then just like Lucy, Gus is going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Archived