2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing. When in actuality he has alot to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Marshall it's a debate if Marshall could have beat SW out.....lol really?

This goes back to our conversation about Tre and CAP. I really believe that a lot of Marshall's mystique came from Robinson and Prosch. When it came to it in 2014, without those two, the read-option failed as much or more often than it succeeded. As for his passing, what was he, about 25% on anything over 10 yards (totally guessing on that, by the way)? And that wasn't because his receivers were dropping it, it was because he was off target more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, Marshall was a good QB who came in when we needed something, and fit perfectly into the team we had built around him in 2013, but he was never going to be a top QB in the NCAA, or play QB in the NFL. Sean has the skills to become a top QB in both.

I get you're in the camp of "we can't be great without a dual-threat QB", but don't let that taint your opinion of overall talent in the position.

I'm actually not in that camp I just know that in college being able to run makes defenses have to do so much that being an elite passer isn't required to becoming a dominant team. But come on man you can't make a statement like SW has the skills to be a top qb in the NFL and tell me not to let stuff taint my talent evaluation. He hasn't shown that on the field yet.

He has the skills... he obviously has a lot of refining to do to be at an elite level, but if you can't see that, even in the early stages, he's incredibly accurate and has above average vision, then you aren't watching. How hard he works in the next 3 years is going to determine where he ends up, but you can't deny that he has the skills.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Nick Marshall at QB, our offense really, truly failed twice: LSU in '13 and UGA in '14. That LSU game was about turnovers in the first half and the UGA game... well, it had something to do with them finally just having a really bad day, but it sure felt like we'd been found out that day. It still bothers me.

Otherwise, he led a really, really good offense for 25 games out of 27. I'd say he was a great quarterback at Auburn, just not a great passer.

Agree...right place at the right time....definitely had a much stronger supporting cast than JJ or SW have now....and was able to take advantage of it.

I'm confused. How did we get on the topic of SW vs. NM vs. JJ vs. Cam, or whatever?

Didn't we recruit Franklin as an athlete, not as a QB?

Why are we having this conversation?

:dunno:

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing. When in actuality he has alot to do to be mentioned in the same breath as Marshall it's a debate if Marshall could have beat SW out.....lol really?

This goes back to our conversation about Tre and CAP. I really believe that a lot of Marshall's mystique came from Robinson and Prosch. When it came to it in 2014, without those two, the read-option failed as much or more often than it succeeded. As for his passing, what was he, about 25% on anything over 10 yards (totally guessing on that, by the way)? And that wasn't because his receivers were dropping it, it was because he was off target more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, Marshall was a good QB who came in when we needed something, and fit perfectly into the team we had built around him in 2013, but he was never going to be a top QB in the NCAA, or play QB in the NFL. Sean has the skills to become a top QB in both.

I get you're in the camp of "we can't be great without a dual-threat QB", but don't let that taint your opinion of overall talent in the position.

I'm actually not in that camp I just know that in college being able to run makes defenses have to do so much that being an elite passer isn't required to becoming a dominant team. But come on man you can't make a statement like SW has the skills to be a top qb in the NFL and tell me not to let stuff taint my talent evaluation. He hasn't shown that on the field yet.

He has the skills... he obviously has a lot of refining to do to be at an elite level, but if you can't see that, even in the early stages, he's incredibly accurate and has above average vision, then you aren't watching. How hard he works in the next 3 years is going to determine where he ends up, but you can't deny that he has the skills.

He has the same skills I see from 90% of every other qb I've seen. To be honest I'm still waiting to see the uncanny accuracy because so far what I've seen is if he has an decent amount of time he'll find a reasonable target. But hell trotter and Todd did that as well. If he doesn't have time to set up then he throws an inaccurate pass which is once again what most qb's do. Now don't take that to me saying he hasn't made any good throws I'm saying I haven't seen the throw where most can't make or this more talent at qb than we've ever had at Auburn type throw yet. Hell I want him to be but I haven't seen the special talent yet. So far I've seen it like muschamp said about cowart. I'm pleased, he's doing an ok job but the way he's being built up on this board? No. Not even close

With Nick Marshall at QB, our offense really, truly failed twice: LSU in '13 and UGA in '14. That LSU game was about turnovers in the first half and the UGA game... well, it had something to do with them finally just having a really bad day, but it sure felt like we'd been found out that day. It still bothers me.

Otherwise, he led a really, really good offense for 25 games out of 27. I'd say he was a great quarterback at Auburn, just not a great passer.

Agree...right place at the right time....definitely had a much stronger supporting cast than JJ or SW have now....and was able to take advantage of it.

No doubt.

and i'm not knocking Sean and saying he's not a good qb. But he hasnt even started a full season nor shown that he's the best pure pocket passer we've had in a long time. To me he's Brandon Cox 2.0. He's not going to do stupid stuff to lose us the game but he's not going to put the entire team on his back and he is tough as nails. But yes I've read enough of what i call fanboy material on Sean and even going as far as saying he would have started in front of Nick and even to the point of putting Nick down. I'm all for whoever gives us the best chance to win. Wither it be Sean, John, JJ, or Will Muschamp suits up and starts at qb. Doesnt matter. I just want to see some W's

Seriously, you guys need to let the SW thing go. I'm starting to get real sick and tired of the worship over him. He's an adequate QB, that's it. I've been harping over this since the beginning of the season. The coaches see it too. We don't win championships without a game-changer at QB. Especially one who runs a 4.3. You guys need to get over SW, he's a filler. Let me ask you this. Do you really think the coaches offer a JUCO QB to ride the bench? An no, this is nothing like the Jason Smith fiasco. The coaches want this guy to be Nick Marshall 2.0. But, I forgot, most of you thought he was a failure, and want someone like Chris Todd...

Kind of how we are getting real sick and tired of your agenda? Your lack of depth of knowledge is glaring.

Amen, Bird!! Well said.

Woody hasn't seen college players on defense. He will have to adjust to the speed of the game. This guy is around the size of SW and I guess you all don't realize what the threat to run really does to a defense, as far as being second string is the guy ahead of him not getting any offers or something? Let some of you tell it Marshall wouldn't have been able to beat out SW coming out of juco

I don't know that Marshall would have been able to beat out Sean. I find it fascinating how quickly everyone has forgotten that Marshall was far from accurate in his passing. Yes, his wheels and instincts kept a lot of plays alive, but Marshall was not a great QB. The second half of last season should make that pretty clear.

The 2nd half of the season ? Nick played defense ? What does the 2nd half of last season have to do with the clarity of determining if Nick Marshall is a good, great or whatever QB ? We had one outlier game all season long but we certainly didn't collapse in the 2nd half because of the offense.

In the 2nd half of the season that Nick Marshall led offense scored,

42 vs USCe, W

35 vs Ole Miss, W

38 vs TAMU, L

07 vs UGa, L

31 vs Samford, W

44 vs Alabama, L

31 vs Wisconsin, L

That is an offense that scored 32.57 ppg (228/7) if you include the outlier game (UGa) and 36.9 ppg (221/6) when you don't. The UGa game was a team collapse caused by the way a 7-1 AU team lost the TAMU game and got knocked out of the playoffs. An AU team of zombies trotted onto the field in Athens that day. The offense bounced right back the next game,the defense never did. That offense last year with this year's defense would be 7-1.

I am a big Sean White fan but no, Sean would not have beat out Nick Marshall.

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing.

Extremely ignorant statement right there, though not surprising.

This coming from a guy who....nevermind I'm talking football here, you're at an unfair disadvantage in that regard

Says the guy who actually believes a high regard has put on White for doing nothing. :lmao:

But what's funny is the high regard placed on SW for doing nothing.

Extremely ignorant statement right there, though not surprising.

This coming from a guy who....nevermind I'm talking football here, you're at an unfair disadvantage in that regard

Says the guy who actually believes a high regard has put on White for doing nothing. :lmao:

Stop it now and take it to PM's if you want to go back and forth in a pissing contest.

• 2 weeks later...

JF3 has to be one of the most unheralded recruit on this board since it's inception. How dare we bring on JUCO QB to challenge SW. This situation is nothing like the Jason Smith situation. The guy is coming here and competing for 1 position: QB. For all of the SW fan boys, I'm sorry, but SW is not the answer. And for those saying JF3 will be a WR, look at his comments first of all, he sounds 100% convinced he'll play QB, and either our coaches want him as QB or they are lying through their teeth. Secondly, from what I hear, JF3 will be given every opportunity to win the job, because our coaching staff has no faith in the QBs we have now. TIFWIW. I just had to comment on this, because I can't believe how many people seem taken aback about him committing to us....

So those that think a red-shirt freshman should be given the benefit of the doubt are just naive and just don't know. Glad there are posters like you to set us all straight, thanks.

So those that think a red-shirt freshman should be given the benefit of the doubt are just naive and just don't know. Glad there are posters like you to set us all straight, thanks.

Thanks Bird. Wasn't gonna post the same thing in 2 threads.

JF3 has to be one of the most unheralded recruit on this board since it's inception. How dare we bring on JUCO QB to challenge SW. This situation is nothing like the Jason Smith situation. The guy is coming here and competing for 1 position: QB. For all of the SW fan boys, I'm sorry, but SW is not the answer. And for those saying JF3 will be a WR, look at his comments first of all, he sounds 100% convinced he'll play QB, and either our coaches want him as QB or they are lying through their teeth. Secondly, from what I hear, JF3 will be given every opportunity to win the job, because our coaching staff has no faith in the QBs we have now. TIFWIW. I just had to comment on this, because I can't believe how many people seem taken aback about him committing to us....

JF3's comments after his commitment was all about perception, his perception. I did not read anywhere that the coaches recruited him other than an ATH. He seems to be very confident in his QB abilities and I am sure he will be given every opportunity to compete for the QB position, otherwise the competition would be a shame.

I can't speak for anybody else, but if we are counting on a 2nd string QB from a CC to be our savior, we are in deep trouble. I believe we will have a good QB competition in the spring and name a starting QB by the 2nd week of August. TIFWIW.

Sean White reminds me a lot of Barrett Trotter. Nifty and elusive in the pocket...hasn't yet shown the ability to deliver in critical situations. He's obviously way better than he showed yesterday..but wondering how to keep a guy that small healthy in an offense that requires the QB to be a playmaker with his feet 5+ times a game.

Sean White reminds me a lot of Barrett Trotter. Nifty and elusive in the pocket...hasn't yet shown the ability to deliver in critical situations. He's obviously way better than he showed yesterday..but wondering how to keep a guy that small healthy in an offense that requires the QB to be a playmaker with his feet 5+ times a game.

He is small. And hasn't learned how to protect himself yet. His health is my biggest concern about his overall ability.

Well said Bird thank you

JF3's comments after his commitment was all about perception, his perception. I did not read anywhere that the coaches recruited him other than an ATH. He seems to be very confident in his QB abilities and I am sure he will be given every opportunity to compete for the QB position, otherwise the competition would be a shame.

I can't speak for anybody else, but if we are counting on a 2nd string QB from a CC to be our savior, we are in deep trouble. I believe we will have a good QB competition in the spring and name a starting QB by the 2nd week of August. TIFWIW.

Well, sorry guy, JF3 is being brought here as a QB. I know that for a fact. Thanks for playing though. And by the way, before you question why he was splitting reps at JUCO, there's more to the story, but not going to say it here. Anyways, as I've said the QB for next year is not on campus yet...

Well, sorry guy, JF3 is being brought here as a QB. I know that for a fact. Thanks for playing though. And by the way, before you question why he was splitting reps at JUCO, there's more to the story, but not going to say it here. Anyways, as I've said the QB for next year is not on campus yet...

I really can't take you serious

He was relating what he was told.

I guess what bothers me is that I'm as passionate as an Auburn fan there is, especially since I have friends who have/had worked in the AD. And it seems like, from what I have witnessed, Auburn fans in general appear to give some players a pass while ridiculing others for the same production. SW is the perfect example. I am not doubting SW is a good guy, but he's on the wrong team to succeed. Are you telling me you actually see us winning CHAMPIONSHIPS with him? The kid can barely make it through 5 games this year. He won't hold up an entire season. And this notion that he's deadly accurate is completely false. He has a 56% completion rate, not exactly accurate. Oh, but guess who has a better completion rate that played the last two years? Nick Marshall, the same guy who people here say did not pass well. So, if Nick Marshall had a higher percentage in his first year here, and was considered a bad passer, what does that make SW? As I said, double standard. And yes, I remember about the drops for SW, happens to every QB and happened to NM, it's part of the game. I ask honestly, why are you guys so determined and hoping that he succeeds, and no one else? I've read so many posts on here that if anyone ever says anything about SW's play that is negative, we're idiots or don't know anything about football. I would love to think that SW is an SEC QB, but reality is, as someone has already said, he's Barrett Trotter 2.0. Yes, I know he's a RsF, but that doesn't stop from someone being able to get an educated analysis on how he plays. And I posted the comment on here because I find it amazing that no one really gave JF3 any shoutout or a war eagle for committing because most people on here are so scared that he might actually beat out SW. You said I should give SW the benefit of the doubt, but why don't you and others give JF3 the benefit of the doubt as well? I guess I just don't understand this infatuation with SW....

Ok? That doesn't hurt my feelings. I can't take you seriously either. We're even now...

Ok? That doesn't hurt my feelings. I can't take you seriously either. We're even now...

Cool lol... You gonna go tell your mom on me too?

Archived