2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

Lets get him on campus and see him practice before we say he is not a QB or before we say he is the second coming of Nick Marshall. Even though some posters say Gus Can't develop QB's he does have a great track record of finding Juco QB's and turning Auburn into an elite team.

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JFIII not lacking for confidence. Couldn't cut it at FSU and couldn't win job in JUCO but believes he will come in and win job in spring at AU. I'm kinda old school. I like to hear recruits say the love Auburn and want to come in and do whatever they can to help us win. But I understand culture is different now.

JFIII not lacking for confidence. Couldn't cut it at FSU and couldn't win job in JUCO but believes he will come in and win job in spring at AU. I'm kinda old school. I like to hear recruits say the love Auburn and want to come in and do whatever they can to help us win. But I understand culture is different now.

Does anyone read threads before posting anymore? Spreading false information could be prevented by reading and/or doing a little research.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think believing he's gonna win the job and wanting to do whatever he can to help the team are mutually exclusive. I like the fire and confidence, and honestly it's something we haven't seen a ton of lately.

Judging from his pic standing with Gus he's a good 6'1" at the least

Bigger than CDC but we think he's goin to be too fragile...

I wouldn't say he's bigger tha DC. His lower legs look skinny as can be, and his thighs look pretty small too. DC is turned sideways. They are about the same height. The kid has a higher afro.

Not to mention that if he plays qb at AU he will be running a lot while Craig was a passer. The most rushing yards he had at AU was a little over 200.

Ixm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying if he comes in under 200 pounds as a rushing qb in the SEC, good luck, because he's going to need it.

Judging from his pic standing with Gus he's a good 6'1" at the least

Bigger than CDC but we think he's goin to be too fragile...

I wouldn't say he's bigger tha DC. His lower legs look skinny as can be, and his thighs look pretty small too. DC is turned sideways. They are about the same height. The kid has a higher afro.

Not to mention that if he plays qb at AU he will be running a lot while Craig was a passer. The most rushing yards he had at AU was a little over 200.

Ixm not saying he can't do it. I'm just saying if he comes in under 200 pounds as a rushing qb in the SEC, good luck, because he's going to need it.

I agree. Hopefully he knows how to avoid hits.

Just rewatched the highlights. He seems to basically be running a wildcat offense with the occasional long ball. He has good escapability and speed. Not sure about his throwing skills yet. A lot of his throws are rainbow jump balls to covered receivers (which our receivers won't likely catch too many of). It may just be how he's always done and never had to change it, but SEC defenses won't be getting burned too often on jump balls unless against a great receiver, of which we don't have. The ones that weren't jump balls were to wide open receivers 5 yards past the last defender (speed not currently on our team as proof of this last year). He did make some good sideline throws on comeback type routes which may work well for us. I don't think he will hit many of the deep crossing routes a lot of people here are looking for as almost all of his throws are to the sideline.

Long story short, he will need to improve at passing in several phases IMO to win the job. He clearly is a better runner than any qb we have right now, but sideline throws and rainbow balls aren't enough to keep SEC defenses honest. If we are as bad at qb development as some think, I doubt he'll ever play meaningful qb snaps, however if we actually do develop qbs, he has enough raw talent to work with to become a NM type of player (although I saw zero zone reads which he would have to specialize in to succeed so that is an unknown at this point). Personally I'd be surprised if he grows enough in one offseason to win the starting job here, but if he does he will be fun to watch. Of course this is all JMO.

People assuming he couldn't win the starting role at FSU and JUCO....lol

They ran a two QB system in JUCO. And he did, in fact, start their last game of the season. Would have went to the playoffs if it wasn't from an on-field altercation between both teams disqualifying the whole team. EMCC (his team) did not start it. I live in MS, everyone says they would have won it all, again. I'm not saying he's going to be the next big thing but I am saying he deserves more credit.

If you watch the Woody Barret highlights and JF3 highlights back to back, it gives the impression that WB is much more suited for SEC QB than JF3. Woody seems to be able to make all the throws, keeps his eyes down field when the play breaks down and has great elusiveness. JF3 has great elusiveness and is faster than Woody, but doesn't have the arm talent it appears. If both came in the same time and had equal reps, I'd be willing to bet WB would win the job over JF3 fairly quickly. Of course JF3 may get here and everything just works. It happens sometimes somI won't guarantee that he won't play qb, but I don't see him beating out SW, TQ and WB. He may be able to get by one of them, but I'm doubting he beats out all 3. If he does best them all out, he is better than his highlight film shows and we will be in good hands.

Is there some funny thing that's causing you to LOL? Because it's a proven fact that he did NOT win the starting job at either school so that can't be what's funny.

If you watch the Woody Barret highlights and JF3 highlights back to back, it gives the impression that WB is much more suited for SEC QB than JF3. Woody seems to be able to make all the throws, keeps his eyes down field when the play breaks down and has great elusiveness. JF3 has great elusiveness and is faster than Woody, but doesn't have the arm talent it appears. If both came in the same time and had equal reps, I'd be willing to bet WB would win the job over JF3 fairly quickly. Of course JF3 may get here and everything just works. It happens sometimes somI won't guarantee that he won't play qb, but I don't see him beating out SW, TQ and WB. He may be able to get by one of them, but I'm doubting he beats out all 3. If he does best them all out, he is better than his highlight film shows and we will be in good hands.

If we're starting a true freshman who doesn't get here until the summer next year, we're in deep trouble. We really need for either SW to become our first really good pocket passer in a while, or for TQ to get healthy before next fall.

Is there some funny thing that's causing you to LOL? Because it's a proven fact that he did NOT win the starting job at either school so that can't be what's funny.

Do you honestly think they would have started him over famous Jameis? That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, just means he wasn't ready. And like I said before, he did start his last game in JUCO.

Why does everyone want to bash the kid before he ever steps foot on the field? Js.

If we're starting a true freshman who doesn't get here until the summer next year, we're in deep trouble. We really need for either SW to become our first really good pocket passer in a while, or for TQ to get healthy before next fall.

Agreed, unless he turns out to be some kind of super exceptional freshman, or JF3 has a deeper arsenal than it sounds like he has and can stay healthy.

Do you honestly think they would have started him over famous Jameis? That doesn't mean he's a bad QB, just means he wasn't ready. And like I said before, he did start his last game in JUCO.

Why does everyone want to bash the kid before he ever steps foot on the field? Js.

I don't see anyone "bashing the kid". I do see a lot of people thinking that a player that has started a total of one JUCO game in his college career is extremely unlikely come in here and be the starting QB. If he does, we're in deep doo-doo.

Agreed, unless he turns out to be some kind of super exceptional freshman, or JF3 has a deeper arsenal than it sounds like he has and can stay healthy.

Pretty much the way I see it as well. I expect SW to win the job and JF3 to become the wildcat qb and also play the Omac role. TQ is an unknown at this point. Does anyone know if he'll be ready for Spring ball? If not, he likely won't beat out SW either. I could see a scenario where Woody is too good to redshirt and we start slowly working him in as a change of pace qb. I do believe JF3 will get a better shot at qb than Smith did based solely on lack of experienced depth at the position. With Woody not arriving til summer, JJ in lala land (should probably transfer and get a fresh start) and TQ coming off surgery, we may not have a viable backup for SW so JF3 and his athletic ability would be a decent backup plan if needed. We shall see.

Because he just happens to be a threat at qb against the greatest pure thrower qb Auburn has ever had....SW would have started ahead of Winston

Archived