2016 3* JUCO QB/ATH John Franklin III (AU commit 11/4/15)

jskilgro

Hard to believe isn't it. Sometimes Marshall seemed to make people miss without hardly moving. But maybe they're judging from when both were in juco

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys argue the same points way too often. Just agree to disagree sometimes.

That's what makes a good forum in my opinion (it is called a conversation not an argument). I personally think JJ will get his shot again, but I also think that JMF3 was recruited for a reason besides his sub 4.3 and is going to present his case to be the starter. He should have a basic understanding of the offense coming in if I read about him correctly. He was a scout O Nick Marshall a few years ago and I assume he is a better player after a few years of training and playing. If it doesn't work at QB then a little speed on the edge can't hurt can it?

I'm dead serious, it's a shame but I really hope SW works with somebody outside of our staff. I hope his leg isn't real messed up because I never heard an official. I won't completely write JJ off at Auburn but if he can overcome all this wow. Oh and I really hope the young o line becomes good while I'm at it.

Oh and I really hope the young o line becomes good while I'm at it.

I think they will if Grimes sticks around. The interior is already pretty good IMO and could be very, very good. Coleman showed flashes against TAMU. Maybe Young would improve with another season getting to start in the same position next to Smith.

I'm sure Whitfield didn't take too kindly to Gus not allowing NM to work with him.

Has anyone considered that Gus didn't allow Nick to work with Whitfield because Nick couldn't afford it, and any other way of paying for it would have been a potential violation? My understanding is that Whitfield is far from cheap.

While I think it's more Gus' ego, it's not like Gus would've come out and said "Well, Nick can't afford it so that's why he's not going" if that was the case. I could see him spinning it into "we don't need others to work with out QBs" because he's always trying to put up a wall between what is fed to media and what the truth is.

Read what Gus said, it's clearly an ego thing and had nothing to do with money, Whitfield wanted to work with Nick and if anything he would gain more on Nick having success....And in the article Gus kept bringing up lashlee....everybody knows it was a mistake

Going to be a White vs Franklin QB battle at AU next year. I'm told Franklin is better with the ball in his hands than Marshall.

Nothing to see here...move along...he's just an 'ATH'...going to play WR... :homer:

Like I said when this commitment landed; Gus and company are feeling the pressure. Don't think for a second they wont try and relive the Nick Marshall magic if it comers down to it. They know how to exploit a running QB in this offense; they clearly don't know how to implement an offense around Sean White.

Didn't allow him to because he couldn't afford it???? Think about that...

I did think about that. If Nick wanted to work with him and his parents couldn't afford it, but someone else offered to pay, Gus would have to shut it down. There are any number of scenarios where money could be collected to pay for such a thing, but would raise a red flag with the NCAA. Unfortunately, the only players who can work with someone like Whitfield are those who's family has money, or who are willing to skate around NCAA rules and hope they don't get caught.

If you look at the stories about Marshall and Whitfield, Gus is directly quoted, multiple times, bringing up the eligibility. "There won't be anyone working with our quarterbacks until their eligibility is exhausted." That tells me he is concerned about NCAA perception. Otherwise, eligibility wouldn't have even been a topic.

Quote everything he said.....

Everything he said is irrelevant to my point. The fact that he brought up eligibility means that was on his mind during the discussion, so that was some factor in the decision. If you haven't figured out, by now, Gus doesn't lay his cards out on the table. He talks around issues, especially when it comes to his players. He certainly isn't going to come out and say "Nick can't go because we can't legally pay for it". Because of this, he leaves the door open for those who so choose to perpetuate the "Gus is a stubborn egomaniac" rumor, but I think Gus would far prefer that than to compromise the privacy of his players.

So... to sum up... believe whatever you want, but there are multiple scenarios that are possible.

Yeah pretty much, the other quotes are irrelevant to your point....you have many quotes to "tell you" what he's thinking but you picked out what you wanted....yeah I'm going to believe he wanted his qb under him and didn't want to mix terminology like me said.

But yeah believe what you want like how this guy isn't playing qb here

Going to be a White vs Franklin QB battle at AU next year. I'm told Franklin is better with the ball in his hands than Marshall.

WDE, not doubting anything, but I heard Franklin isn't even the starting QB on his Juco team. If he is so great with the ball, I just wonder why he doesnt start. If his team has a better QB, why aren't we going after him? I have to admit, I have missed us running the zone read correctly this year. The Spring game may be a must see this coming spring.

This young man will be the starting QB for us next year for one main reason; Gus is showing that he can not do it without a athletic qb; pocket passers is not where he is strong at coaching; he needs a guy that can extend the play.

WAR EAGLE!!

Good read on Franklin from coach Clint Trickett

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/john_franklin_coach_clint_tric.html

Clint Trickett's first recruit to East Mississippi Community College will move on to the SEC level.

Trickett, hired as EMCC's quarterbacks coach this year after a college football career at Florida State and West Virginia, recruited John Franklin III to EMCC after he started off at Florida State.

Franklin committed to Auburn on Wednesday.

Trickett and Franklin's careers at FSU didn't intersect, but the 6-foot-2, 185-pound Franklin was looking for a chance to give his career a jump-start after not seeing the field much at Florida State.

"John is a tremendous athlete," Trickett said. "He's one of the faster human beings I've ever been around. His straight-line speed is, and I hate when people say it, but it's almost world class."

The dual-threat quarterback Franklin helped lead EMCC to an 8-1 record, hitting 58.2 percent of his passes for 733 yards, seven touchdowns and two interceptions. He ran for 451 yards and nine touchdowns

"He also has one of the stronger arms I've ever been around, too," Trickett said. "The revolutions that come off the ball when he throws is literally insane.

"He needs to work on touch a little bit and get a little bit more accurate, things I've been working on with him since he got here, but fortunately he's good on the run at improvising, which needs to happen if you're an Auburn quarterback."

"The strides that John has made since when he got here to the end of the season have been great and tremendous," Trickett said. "At first, I was real worried, but he's gotten better to the point now where I'm fully confident he'll be a good SEC quarterback."

Trickett had pretty high hopes for his first recruit to EMCC. It paid off after Franklin developed and got his first extensive game experience since high school. Franklin will enroll at Auburn in January and be a junior next season.

"Honestly, I knew it was going to happen," Trickett said. "It was just a matter of where, because of the pure athletic ability that he brought to the table."

And Trickett had a message for Auburn fans worrying because Franklin wasn't a full-time starter. He split snaps with another quarterback at EMCC.

"I would say watch the film because it doesn't lie," Trickett said. "I have clips that literally are just mind-blowing how fast he is. People can say he's just a fast guy, but he's completing some very difficult balls on the film and making some very impressive throws. Auburn fans should be happy and have a lot to look forward to."

Sounds good but I've never heard a coach give a really bad review of one of his players. Would like to see Tricketts report on his starting QB as well.

No doubt, but how much coach speak a 24 yr old ex-QB has can be debated. If you recall, we were in the thick of the pursuit of Trickett when he left FSU (for WVU before given up football due to concussions). He probably has as good a feeling for what a QB could do in our system as anybody.

Archived