Coaching Carousel Watch

AURex

I will be honest. I wouldn't want to be the guy that followed Saban at Alabama when he leaves or retires. Not with that fanbase and those expectations. I let someone else fall off first.

Hell I would. With all that talent he would leave behind I would win an NC the first year, be anointed, sign an extension for umpteen years with a fat buyout. Compete for the next few years. Ride off into the sunset after they fire me.

And if you didn't and slipped up and only won say 9 games? Hot seat is on.

Getting fired is not the worst thing that can happen to a coach when things start to go south. IMO...it's perpetually being on the "hot seat" where the wife can't go to the grocery without getting snide comments...or finding "For Sale" signs in the yard....and nasty call-ins on talk shows.. That's the stuff that kills the joy of a high paying job.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be honest. I wouldn't want to be the guy that followed Saban at Alabama when he leaves or retires. Not with that fanbase and those expectations. I let someone else fall off first.

Hell I would. With all that talent he would leave behind I would win an NC the first year, be anointed, sign an extension for umpteen years with a fat buyout. Compete for the next few years. Ride off into the sunset after they fire me.

And if you didn't and slipped up and only won say 9 games? Hot seat is on.

Getting fired is not the worst thing that can happen to a coach when things start to go south. IMO...it's perpetually being on the "hot seat" where the wife can't go to the grocery without getting snide comments...or finding "For Sale" signs in the yard....and nasty call-ins on talk shows.. That's the stuff that kills the joy of a high paying job.

Why I said not with that fanbase in the previous comment lol. You know, bricks through the window and such.

coachingsearch.com has reported that both Will Muschamp, and Gene Chizik,have expressed interest in the HC job at UCF.

That is according to the Orlando Sentinel. Go to coachingsearch.com, at the top of the page, click on Coaching Search Ticker.

coachingsearch.com has reported that both Will Muschamp, and Gene Chizik,have expressed interest in the HC job at UCF.

That is according to the Orlando Sentinel. Go to coachingsearch.com, at the top of the page, click on Coaching Search Ticker.

I'm more inclined to believe "Nether I nor anyone representing me have talked to anyone about any other positions" from Muschamp than "Muschamp is said to be very interested in the position" from a local newspaper reporter.

I'm more inclined to believe "Nether I nor anyone representing me have talked to anyone about any other positions" from Muschamp than "Muschamp is said to be very interested in the position" from a local newspaper reporter.

He said he, nor his reps, have been contacted. He never mentioned if he was the one doing the reaching out to someone regarding a job. Yeah it's semantics and really diving into the gritty detail but that's all it takes for a coach to say that he wasn't lying.

Lots of ifs but if Fisher goes to LSU and he takes Craig and Muschamp leaves I think that will signify something less than desirable is going on behind the scenes of the football program.

Monroe seems like it'd be an ideal landing spot for Coach Lashlee to begin his head coaching career.

He said he, nor his reps, have been contacted. He never mentioned if he was the one doing the reaching out to someone regarding a job. Yeah it's semantics and really diving into the gritty detail but that's all it takes for a coach to say that he wasn't lying.

Lots of ifs but if Fisher goes to LSU and he takes Craig and Muschamp leaves I think that will signify something less than desirable is going on behind the scenes of the football program.

Re: Muschamp....I think most AU people (other than me) thought and expect him to be here at least 2 or 3 years.....and I expect he also thought he would stay long enough to make his imprint on the AU defense. We all know that a guy with his background is going to be mentioned for jobs like UCF and perhaps a few others in the same category....but I'm hoping that's just media speculation....and not a serious interest.

EVERY year there are about this number of jobs open...ranging from great opportunities to good entry (or re-entry positions) ....so no need for CWM to jump ship now...unless he has questions about the direction of the program.

How can you conclude that if both are getting more responsibility....one becoming an OC and the other a Head Coach. Why would Jimbo not take his existing OC to LSU? And why would UCF jump at Muschamp who could not win at the signature in state school but somehow will win at UCF?

Monroe seems like it'd be an ideal landing spot for Coach Lashlee to begin his head coaching career.

My money on LSU RB coach Frank Wilson.

If Fisher snags Craig, it's an OC deal and nothing more. If Muschamp bails after one year, then there are definitely bigger issues than anyone is seeing. As much as I respect Gus, I would find that EXTREMELY upsetting and begin to wonder if a full house cleaning is needed, beyond the visible leadership in the program.

If Fisher snags Craig, it's an OC deal and nothing more. If Muschamp bails after one year, then there are definitely bigger issues than anyone is seeing. As much as I respect Gus, I would find that EXTREMELY upsetting and begin to wonder if a full house cleaning is needed, beyond the visible leadership in the program.

How? He would be a head coach at a pretty decent program....now if he left AU and went somewhere else for a lateral position ....then maybe I could see your point

How? He would be a head coach at a pretty decent program....now if he left AU and went somewhere else for a lateral position ....then maybe I could see your point

Because he has said repeatedly he is here for the long haul, but things do change.

Because he has said repeatedly he is here for the long haul, but things do change.

Like a head coaching gig...but I think he stays ...couple of million reasons why

Like a head coaching gig...but I think he stays ...couple of million reasons why

Problem is that most of the coaches who rise to OC or DC at a Power 5 school are reluctant to take a HC job at a FCS level school....and many are priced out of the market anyway. And with the salaries being paid for HC at Power 5 schools, most of the schools are reluctant to take a chance on a guy with no HC experience. The result is that we now have a whole generation of professional assistants and coordinators who are able to make a VERY GOOD living at Auburn, or LSU or wherever ...without all the pressures of being a HC. JMO but no matter what was going on at AU, I don't think Gus would be HC now if he had not left for Arky State and coached a year and had a pretty good record. A case can be made that one year at ASU was not enough experience to warrant a top HC job but that's for another discussion.

Just saying that CDC (like Tim Horton) has to be willing to step down in class to get an OC job....if he has ambitions to be a HC.

JMO but Chiz made a huge mistake taking the Iowa State job where there is almost no chance for success...and was not ready for the AU job when he got it....and CWM did something similar...trying to start at the top with no HC experience at a lower and less demanding level. Maybe they are ready to try again...but I have my doubts ...though UCF might fit either of them....probably much less demanding alums and more reasonable expectations.

Minnesota just hired Tracy Claeys several weeks ago. USCe got Tom Herman from Houston. Add Houston on the list.

And so it begins...

This shouldn't surprise anyone at all. When his name first came up here, I was told by a trustworthy source that Muschamp wouldn't be his #1 choice simply because he felt that there was a decent chance that he'd be a one-and-done candidate. Muschamp was always going to say the right things publicly, it not like he was going to take this job and then go out and tell everyone that he was jumping the first offer that came his way.

Strong will likely leave on his own. Saban isn't going to go to Texas. I don't know why people keep thinking that.

Wishful thinking I expect...just check he his record elsewhere against the SEC you can see why the idea of NS leaving town is just about every SEC fan and coach's bet dream. Texas this year....and where next year?....back to the NFL?

This shouldn't surprise anyone at all. When his name first came up here, I was told by a trustworthy source that Muschamp wouldn't be his #1 choice simply because he felt that there was a decent chance that he'd be a one-and-done candidate. Muschamp was always going to say the right things publicly, it not like he was going to take this job and then go out and tell everyone that he was jumping the first offer that came his way.

Nothing in thr coaching world shocks me. However, WM has said repeatedly he is here for the long haul. That being said if he received a real cherry offer then he might be tempted. He can build a d but has shown shortcomings at UF where you get all the talent you want, so I'm not sure how great an offer he might get that would tempt him away. We'll see.

Strong will likely leave on his own. Saban isn't going to go to Texas. I don't know why people keep thinking that.

Wishful thinking I expect...just check he his record elsewhere against the SEC you can see why the idea of NS leaving town is just about every SEC fan and coach's bet dream. Texas this year....and where next year?....back to the NFL?

I could see him going to the NFL before Texas. But, I think he'll retire at Alabama.

I could see him going to the NFL before Texas. But, I think he'll retire at Alabama.

College coaches just don't do well in the NFL. The last true college coach to succeed was Jimmy Johnson. Pete Carroll was in the NFL for a long time before he went to USC. Texas is a great spot if he wants to try a new challenge. I think that ship has sailed though. He's at Alabama until he retires IMO.

Archived