2016 Spring Practice - Day 1

RunInRed

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Post-practice interviews ...

Tre Williams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3gaBekwhu4

A lot of talk about chips on shoulders at Auburn today. "We're all gonna eat this year," says Tre' Williams.

The Buck is now the Bandit on Auburn's defense.

@bmarcello

Auburn LB Tre Williams says Kevin Steele is 'calm and collected at times, and he's a hard coach at times...at end of the day, he loves us.'

Auburn linebacker Tre' Williams says new position coach Travis Williams is 'somebody we can relate to. He knows what it takes.'

@AUGoldMine

Williams on what he learned from Cass/Garrett/Frost: "I got a lot of shoes to fill. It's a responsibility I got to take care of."

@AUBlog

Marcus Davis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ypBvefRTw

See some Nick Marshall in JF3? Marcus Davis: "Of course. He's really athletic, really fast. I think he'll do a good job in zone read."

@bmarcello

Auburn receiver Marcus Davis on new position coach Kodi Burns: 'I think he brings a lot of positive energy. Guys are responding well to him'

Auburn receiver Marcus Davis on QB John Franklin III: 'That guy is really talented. I think we have four good ones competing right now.'

@AUGoldMine

Davis on first day: "It went well. It felt great to be back on the field. We just came out with a chip on our shoulder."

@AUBlog

Auburn WR Marcus Davis: Whoever wins QB job "we are going to rally behind him"

@wareagleextra

Montravius Adams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzWtp1XYmno

Auburn DE Montravius Adams said he and Carl Lawson talked about turning pro, but decided to return to 'play a whole season together.'

@AUGoldMine

Mon Adams said sophomore Byron Cowart, a former top-five recruit, stood out during offseason workouts.

Auburn DT Mon Adams on the new linemen: "I say that they meet Rodney Garner during recruiting. But when they come here, that's Coach G."

@JFergusonBR

Mont says he, Marcus Davis, Devaroe Lawrence and a couple other seniors came up with the "Earn It" mantra.

Mont: "There is no last year. The thing this year is just earn it. ... We the only ones that got expectations for us."

Mont on Darius James' alleged 'dominance' at RT: "With him going against Carl (Lawson) every day, he ain't got no choice."

Mont on OL Darius James: "I think he should get the starting job at right tackle."

Mont says Kevin Steele's scheme is similar to Muschamps, but "I think he brings enjoyment to the team and just gets everyone relaxed."

Mon Adams says Marlon Davidson reminds him of a young Mon Adams.

Mont on decision to return: "I did want to leave... I thought about it, took some time off, prayed about it." His mom convinced him to stay

@AUBlog

Auburn DL Montravius Adams: "We probably ain't going to be ranked...we have to earn everything we want"

Auburn DL Montravius Adams: Wants to play at 290-295 this year, working in weight room all the time

Auburn DL Montravius Adams: "I try to win everything to do" to show young guys what they need do, make team better

@wareagleextra

Robert Leff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoB1RK5VMoQ

Auburn LT Robert Leff said it was important to be able to develop his game behind the likes of Greg Robinson and Shon Coleman.

Leff said now-eligible Texas transfer Darius James "could dominate some people" this season.

Leff said there was a lot of energy out on the field for the first day of practice. "I really wanted to go get pads on."

@JFergusonBR

Robert Leff said he needs to put on another 10-15 pounds before the season. Said he's at 295 now.

"I certainly hope so (that I'll be the starter)"

@AUBlog

I know that the starting lineup thread is better suited towards this topic, but since this one is hot, here's my predicted starting lineup. This would be way too many seniors to accept a rebuilding year (assuming someone besides Lawson went pro early, only 13 returning starters for '17).

QB--JF3

RB--Jovon (pleasestayoutoftroublepleasestayoutoftrouble)

HB--Cox/Pettway

WR--Jason

WR--Marcus

WR--NCM

OT--Leff

OT--James

OG--Kozan

OG--Smith

C--Golson

DE--Lawson

DE--Cowart

DT--Adams

DT--Lawrence

LB--Tre Williams

LB--TJ Neal

CB--Carlton Davis

CB--Ford

S--Matthews

S--Holsey

N--Irvin

K--Carlson

P--Phillips

Sounds like leadership is back on this team. Most Auburn fans have seen this play out before. No expectations, coming off a season of promise turned disappointment, and a bunch of seniors with chips on their shoulders. Not saying its going to be a 04,10,or 13 but I like the attitude of work on this team.

^I hope so. Given what WDEWDE said in the renovations thread about "not holding our breath" for a turnaround, I'm not so sure.

The big question is and will be the QB spot, but it's going to be really interesting to see how the offensive and defensive lines develop. If James really does emerge as a dominant OT, that line starts to look a lot better. Leff or Horton at LT may not be ideal, but Smith/James on the right side can power the running game in a way that we haven't had since Robinson and a healthy Kozan worked in 2013.

The apparent depth on the defensive line is really exciting. It's the first day so I certainly don't read a LOT into the lineups, but if Swain emerges as a player in that DT rotation, that group has a chance to be as good as the 2010 group.

Think about this: Adams may not start, and that's not a knock on him. If Devaroe Lawrence continues to improve, it's going to be impossible to hold him out of the starting spot, and they play the same spot. Even if he's not a starter, Adams could be a top three round draft pick. On top of that, Russell was our best DT over the course of the entire season last year. So, again, if Swain is a legitimate threat for a starting job (whether he wins it or loses it), the depth at DT is really, really good without even considering Johnson, Brown, Jackson, or Andrew Williams.

On the outside, if Cowart steps forward and plays to potential, that's as mean a pair of DEs as any team in the country. As the Broncos just proved, explosive edge players can power you through even the best opponents.

I'm also really excited about Stephen Roberts. He was a treat at the end of last year. Personally, I'll be surprised if anyone can unseat him at Safety.

It feels great to start a new season! Fresh set of expectations and enthusiasm across the board for everyone. Like every other pre-season/spring, lots of chips on shoulders, lots of folks ready to "eat", lots of people wanting to prove to folks that last season was a fluke. :bananadance:

^I hope so. Given what WDEWDE said in the renovations thread about "not holding our breath" for a turnaround, I'm not so sure.

He wasn't talking about a turn around, he was saying not to hold your breath that a turnaround would cause people to want to invest in renovations.

I think you misread his quote. I think the "don't hold your breath" wasn't about a season turn around, but people changing their minds about Jacobs.

It feels great to start a new season! Fresh set of expectations and enthusiasm across the board for everyone. Like every other pre-season/spring, lots of chips on shoulders, lots of folks ready to "eat", lots of people wanting to prove to folks that last season was a fluke. :bananadance:/>

I don't remember anyone really caring much about the way '14 ended heading into last year--which is something that kind of irritated me. If our players aren't wanting to "prove that last season was a fluke," they shouldn't be playing football.

I liked the film of Kodi Burns working with the receivers. He was making sure they were balanced took proper number of steps started in right position turned properly. These are the little things that put together make a big difference. These are the kind of things Jerry Rice did that allowed a man who wasn't that big and wasn't that fast to hold almost every NFL receiving record. This was only one drill but I liked the attention to detail.

Former Auburn coach Pat Dye chats with OC Rhett Lashlee as he observes AU's first spring practice of season.

CcgAQtbW4AE6haR.jpg

@RobertTheClay

Observes... yea... that's what he's doing...

Was not allowed to be around... when Coach Tubbs was here.

A lot of the videos seem to be not up any more. I like the video of KB working with the WR. He seems very focused on the fundamentals which is something we have lacked in the past.

Archived