One of our QB's is working out with Michael Vick..

dmoney

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jovon on inside read and Kerryon on outside read with Jf3 could be deadly in the red zone or 80yds away lol.

Or Jovon on an inside read with Kam in front of him with the chance of John running. An extra defender has to pick-up Kam and the DBs can't crash for fear of John taking off on the outside. Even a little hole from the O-Line should score 6 from less than 5 yards out.

I see the John/Jovon/Kerryon mix as better from 20+ yards out. Adding the second read slows it down a bit much in tight quarters.

How about play action with either or both, and Sean or JJ throwing it down field?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sean on the field with John, with either under center. That's definitely popped up in Gus's playbook more than once over the years.

I meant play action to Jovon/Kam. Not JFIII. Maybe even finding our TE open in the process. Imagine that.

If Sean starts, then I imagine that will be the central play in our offense. I jut hope that Sean can sell the fake like Chis Todd could.

I meant play action to Jovon/Kam. Not JFIII. Maybe even finding our TE open in the process. Imagine that.

If Sean starts, then I imagine that will be the central play in our offense. I jut hope that Sean can sell the fake like Chis Todd could.

There's an awful lot of me that wants that to be the first play against Clemson.

Any word as to whether Jeremy is being considered for another position? I hate to see him burn his senior year sitting on a bench.

He may have a situational role -

I could see that happening. Esp. if we're struggling in the redzone like last year with SW. As the field shrunk JJ looked better oldly

I don't think it's odd at all. One of Jeremy's strength was supposed to be the power run game. Still, I would have to think that Gus plans to use John in the red zone, for his speed to get to the corner. If John really can get to the corners fast, then our red zone offense should take a big step forward, because they won't know whether to crash down on Kam and Jovon in the middle or protect a run from John to the edge. With Jeremy, they knew the run was coming up the middle, they just didn't know who would be carrying the ball.

I meant far as his passing seemed better inside the 20 being that otherwise it was an INT. It just seemed as the field shrunk he was more accurate and looked more comfortable passing. Not a big fan no JJ's running as he's pretty timid but having either JJ or JF3 down in the redzone would be a nice advantage IMO. Kerryon will likely be a factor in that area as well.

We have TEs? Who knew?!! :dunno:

What is the rush to name a starter. ? I don't get rush...

Nobody said anything about rushing to name a starter. I think the point that some of us is trying to make, is that there is no one who really has done enough to be considered a starter. This isn't like tOSU situation, where you have multiple QBs good enough to start and the coach has to make the hard decision on who will take the snaps. It is looking more and more like we do not have anyone, who the coaches feel completely comfortable with in the pocket.

So....does not mean that they are incompetent...and I think they have learned the danger of jumping to conclusions based on practices where guys are not allowed to hit the QB...seems you are making an assumption with the "comfortable in the pocket " comment.

and suggesting that there is no need to make a decision when the team has 3 or more weeks of serious practice ahead a handful of new players coming on board.

Nobody said anything about rushing to name a starter. I think the point that some of us is trying to make, is that there is no one who really has done enough to be considered a starter. This isn't like tOSU situation, where you have multiple QBs good enough to start and the coach has to make the hard decision on who will take the snaps. It is looking more and more like we do not have anyone, who the coaches feel completely comfortable with in the pocket.

So....does not mean that they are incompetent...and I think they have learned the danger of jumping to conclusions based on practices where guys are not allowed to hit the QB...seems you are making an assumption with the "comfortable in the pocket " comment.

and suggesting that there is no need to make a decision when the team has 3 or more weeks of serious practice ahead a handful of new players coming on board.

A few things. My post never suggested the incompetence of anyone. I also never suggested that they need not to make a decision nor did I state they should make a decision. I was responding to your "out of left field comment" about rushing to name a starter. Our discourse had nothing to do with that, only the fact that the QB competition is likely closer to what anybody thinks and/or the coaches are not very comfortable with who they have, based on the rumors circulating about Webb and Jenkins. Yes, my statement was an assumption. If it was for fact, I would've added a link, but this was my opinion supplemented by the previous statement of rumors going around. Maybe I should have put IMO, so things do not get, so as of matter of factly, around here.

I actually like the idea of switching to basketball. Wasn't he a Mr basketball finalist the same year he won Mr football.?

A few things. My post never suggested the incompetence of anyone. I also never suggested that they need not to make a decision nor did I state they should make a decision. I was responding to your "out of left field comment" about rushing to name a starter. Our discourse had nothing to do with that, only the fact that the QB competition is likely closer to what anybody thinks and/or the coaches are not very comfortable with who they have, based on the rumors circulating about Webb and Jenkins. Yes, my statement was an assumption. If it was for fact, I would've added a link, but this was my opinion supplemented by the previous statement of rumors going around. Maybe I should have put IMO, so things do not get, so as of matter of factly, around here.

That's fine but regularly question: what is to be gained by naming any starter in May...? Far as I am concerned we ought to reveal our starting QB when the team takes the field against Clemson....let 'm guess.

While I agree SW has been here 2 years and could be better...I think that the coaching staff has not done him any favors. IMO, they need to build the offensive plan to take advantage of his strength...passing....not him running the zone read but I'm not the coach. It's not his fault he's not a runner like Cam or Nick. The coaches that recruited him to AU should now be coaching/developing him to be the best qb in the SEC. But it appears that they are still out looking for that lightning in a bottle.

Had Jeremy not been the starter, last year, I would imagine that they would have come in with a different game plan. We saw a new plan starting to form before Sean got hurt, but it takes a while to shift gears with a whole team. That's why I've previously discussed the inherent risk of having your back-up QB have completely different strengths than your starter.

I am going to disagree. I think the reason JJ was effective in 2014 when Nick Marshall was injured was because opposing defenses were so focused on defending Marshall they had to completely change their game plan when JJ came in.

I think it is possible for AU to have a big enough playbook, and practice a portion of it with the Ones and another portion of it with the Twos, and have a tailored playbook for each QB.

I think the issue with JJ and SW in 2015 was totally different. Both are passers, but have different strengths. I think it was we did not have two playbooks, and no one expected JJ to melt down. Also, we had no intermediate passing playbook, which is SW's strength.

Last year after the JJ meltdown, I wanted us to make SW the starter (with a tailored, pass-oriented play book), move Jason Smith back to QB to be the backup (using the old Nick Marshall playbook), and use Jason as the Wildcat back so he could get game day snaps and be ready in case SW went down or was pulled.

I realize this strategy will not work against great defenses who study tendencies well. And it is a reason this strategy does not work well in a 2 QB system, because both QBs play so there is film on both.

If SW is health and effective, and if JFIII is effective, and the two represent the two best options at QB, I think we should approach it like 2014, with two different QB styles, two different playbooks, and practice them both. It would not matter who was the starter.

That's fine but regularly question: what is to be gained by naming any starter in May...? Far as I am concerned we ought to reveal our starting QB when the team takes the field against Clemson....let 'm guess.

You don't get it. It is not about naming a starter. That was never my point. I could care less if we name a starter in May or the day of the game. I have expressed two points. I do not believe the coaches are as confident in what we have at QB, as they may let people on to believe. I do not think that SW is miles ahead of JF3 for the starting position. Those points are independent to the convo of when we should name a starter. My response to you was in confusion as to why you would bring that up, when that wasn't the matter of discussion.

Guest NC1406

The only people that makes him a long shot are people on this board....fact is no qb has separated themselves. And out of the three JF3 gets a little leeway, he didn't know the playbook and all that stuff. It's disappointing the guys that have years in the offense aren't heads and shoulders above the new guy

It is a shame JJ isn't way ahead of him. It is also a shame SW (who is way ahead of him) got hurt last year. Then there is Tyler Queens injuries, just too bad.

How is SW way ahead of him? Based on what? SW looked pretty bad against Memphis and that had nothing to do with his injury. SW didn't look all that gravy in the A-Day game either. SW will probably start, but not because he is way ahead of him. If anything, he will start because he is the most comfortable in our offense and he looks it.

Based on the coach that told me. Sorry you don't like SW. Why don't you like him? Is it on or off the field issues?

Sorry I'm not believIng this. Can't believe you talk to a coach and you don't know the structure of a football practice

He talks to a coach but not at practice. I used to talk to swimming coach David Marsh quite often, yet the next swimming practice I attend will be my first.

Yeah but if you didn't understand a concept about swimming like a swimmer will get wet then I'm not going to believe you are close with a swimming coach and talk in detail with the coach about swimming

David Marsh was the best recruiter AU has ever witnessed. Those international teams he put together were amazing. Hate my AU swimming t shirt fell apart due to age and wear.

You don't get it. It is not about naming a starter. That was never my point. I could care less if we name a starter in May or the day of the game. I have expressed two points. I do not believe the coaches are as confident in what we have at QB, as they may let people on to believe. I do not think that SW is miles ahead of JF3 for the starting position. Those points are independent to the convo of when we should name a starter. My response to you was in confusion as to why you would bring that up, when that wasn't the matter of discussion.

You know why

Anyway..... Y'all hear Kodi talking bout this? He said it was great and the team was thrilled and would rally behind thier leader and follow his example and work ethic. Was he hinting that he is the QB? I read things deep sometimes and I already thought Gus was saying JF3 was the leader and now I think I heard it again in what Kodi said...

Anyway..... Y'all hear Kodi talking bout this? He said it was great and the team was thrilled and would rally behind thier leader and follow his example and work ethic. Was he hinting that he is the QB? I read things deep sometimes and I already thought Gus was saying JF3 was the leader and now I think I heard it again in what Kodi said...

sounded more like he was just saying whenever someone sees a QB working hard, it makes them want to work hard too. Because the position is the teams leader. He didn't really seem to say Franklin was the QB or the leader. Just that the team tends to follow the roles of the QBs

sounded more like he was just saying whenever someone sees a QB working hard, it makes them want to work hard too. Because the position is the teams leader. He didn't really seem to say Franklin was the QB or the leader. Just that the team tends to follow the roles of the QBs

There is no indication at all that JFIII is the leader in the club house. Kodi is just happy he had the dedication to get some extra instruction over the Summer.

There is no y'all. There are individuals who want certain qb's to start. The guys who want sw to start will tell you how jf3 isn't accurate and can't throw a lick.

Guys that want jf3 to start will mention sw in the redzone and his games against defenses with a pulse. You will also notice this group doesn't believe any transfer would beat sw out, and there is a belief he was the number 1 qb on our board

I don't think anybody has any faith in JJ anymore. Maybe red, but he's in the I don't care just want to win camp.

Lastly there is the just want to win group. Either they feel it doesn't matter because multiple qb's are good or multiple qb's are bad. And that's pretty much it.

Y'all still don't see the different way the coaches talk about each QB?

looP

maybe their way of keeping each guy motivated to work on his weaknesses. ?....Far too early IMO to let anyone think he has the job. I bet if you were to talk to each player we would not no any more than we do now.

Archived