2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

The Kid is 6'4" tall about 215 pounds and has good wheels. To me that seems like a pretty good fit at Safety. What doesn't fit their model?

He measured in at The Opening yesterday at 6*2 not 6*4. The reason he is not a fit is the staff feels he is a finesse player and the staff wants a physical hard hitter.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only reason there could be they don't want him is because he doesn't tackle well. But I think I remember people saying similar things to that athlete that went to play for Clemson and he's a monster now

Vic Beasley didn't "fit" at AU either.

We read it so right on that one... smh...

Unless something changed today, Davis is not opposed to playing linebacker or even defensive end if he grows into it. He just wants to get on the field.

Unless something changed today, Davis is not opposed to playing linebacker or even defensive end if he grows into it. He just wants to get on the field.

Keith said the same thing today.

Keith said the same thing today.

Shhhhhhhhh! IronMan doesn't want everyone to know he IS Keith.

:-X

Judging from his numbers we would be stupid not to want him. I don't care about the trust everything the coaches say crowd that's my opinion.

Kid posted a 4.44. fastest posted time I saw.

4.44 makes for a very impressive whiff or broken arm tackle if he doesn't like contact.

Kid posted a 4.44. fastest posted time I saw.

4.44 makes for a very impressive whiff or broken arm tackle if he doesn't like contact.

And makes for a serious headhunter if he does.

Also makes for a game saving pass deflection whether he likes it or not....

Agree^^ And physical enough or not, u can't just throw this type of athlete away either. 4.44 speed is impressive for a safety his size

No way this kid is told to move on, he's a lock to AU. It will be his decision if he wants to move on elsewhere

Yes way if Boom does indeed deem he does not feel SDj is physical enough. Who knows though? Maybe the 4.44 he ran at The Opening may spark renewed interest from AU.

No way this kid is told to move on, he's a lock to AU. It will be his decision if he wants to move on elsewhere

Yes way if Boom does indeed deem he does not feel SDj is physical enough. Who knows though? Maybe the 4.44 he ran at The Opening may spark renewed interest from AU.

Well boom would be crazy to let this kid get away. At the opening he looked mighty physical to me

The only reason there could be they don't want him is because he doesn't tackle well. But I think I remember people saying similar things to that athlete that went to play for Clemson and he's a monster now

Vic Beasley didn't "fit" at AU either.

We read it so right on that one... smh...

You know, it is quite possible that your first sentence is a true statement. Just because he's turned into a monster at Clemson doesn't mean he would have done so at Auburn, because there is a great deal at play in the way a kid develops. Part of it is whether the scheme fits his natural playing style. Part of it is whether he gets along with his teammates. Part of it is what kind of player(s) he has lining up across from him every day at practice. Part of it is whether the coach's teaching style clicks for him or not. Part of it is whether he manages his time properly, which might go differently at different places (doubt that is in effect here, as I understand Clemson is similar to Auburn in that respect).

And then part of it is who lines up across from him on Saturdays. Building confidence against guys that are a cut below what he would see week in and week out in the SEC could very easily dictate that he is able to hit his peak potential (which is obviously quite high) more quickly, instead of having to go through days where guys he is more athletic than are able to use their experience to corral him because they aren't as far behind in athleticism as those in the ACC.

Now, I don't know enough about linemen in the ACC to know if that has anything to do with it or not. And I don't know if any of these things would have made the least bit of difference in him becoming what he has.

But I do know that there have been some phenomenal athletes come and go whose names are unheard of now because something, whatever it was, derailed their future. There was even a guy I went to high school with whom I honestly believe could still be playing professionally in any of the Big 3 sports of his choice if he'd really wanted to follow that dream. 6'4ish, around 225-230 of pure, lean muscle, dude probably ran a legitimate 4.5 40 (and those of you who understand what I mean by legitimate know how fast that really is for a guy that size). Was always heads and shoulders above everybody else, and we also graduated with a guy who signed with UGA to play baseball...he just didn't have his head right for being part of a team, never had the right kind of coach/mentor to push him in the right direction, so he never panned out.

And that's just one story from one graduating class at a podunk high school in the middle of nowhere. The fields of athletics are littered with stories like that everywhere and at every level. Being able to predict how things will work out is not an exact science, and it is a far more complex one than simply figuring out which kids have potential.

Personally, I hope SDjr sticks with us. Maybe he isn't the most polished player in the world, maybe he won't be able to contribute right away, but he has the frame and the quickness to be a very good safety for us, especially after Tray and Rudy leave. One of the biggest things that I think he will be able to do is play that blitz-SS style of defense that Boom likes to use. I don't usually like the guys over at BleacherReport, but Michael Felder just put out this video talking about SDJr and Eli Stove's performance at The Opening. IMO he does a good job of breaking down SDJr's strengths.

Surely, if he ran a 4.44 this weekend and if there a chance that he has half the skill of his (former AU player/ pro bowl RB) dad, we would take a chance on him.

I don't even see it as taking a chance personally. It's a crap shoot with any kid. Heck, this is a 4* player we are talking about here. I just hope he wants to come. Kinda feels like he's being disrespected a tad to me.

Archived