2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even see it as taking a chance personally. It's a crap shoot with any kid. Heck, this is a 4* player we are talking about here. I just hope he wants to come. Kinda feels like he's being disrespected a tad to me.

I said it a long time ago: chances are high that we'll be scrambling to take some Markell Benton type player (ie: career bench warmer) the day before signing day anyway, so why push away a super athletic kid like Davis Jr. who possesses great bloodlines? Its stupid.

I don't even see it as taking a chance personally. It's a crap shoot with any kid. Heck, this is a 4* player we are talking about here. I just hope he wants to come. Kinda feels like he's being disrespected a tad to me.

I said it a long time ago: chances are high that we'll be scrambling to take some Markell Benton type player (ie: career bench warmer) the day before signing day anyway, so why push away a super athletic kid like Davis Jr. who possesses great bloodlines? Its stupid.

Who is Markell Benton?????

Assuming a player has D1 athletic ability, it's really not a good idea for any team to let their legacy players get away from them. That is true for a number of reasons.

I think he meant Markell Boston, could be wrong though

I think he meant Markell Boston, could be wrong though

I'm not assuming anything with him. He very well could be talking about a 4 star player that will be in the 2017 class.

Not sure how being honest with him can be called disrespectful.

^^This^^

From what has been reported here by several insiders, our staff thinks he's "not a good fit" due to lack of physicality. Being called that where I'm from would be considered a tad disrespectful...at the minimum.

^^This^^

From what has been reported here by several insiders, our staff thinks he's "not a good fit" due to lack of physicality. Being called that where I'm from would be considered a tad disrespectful...at the minimum.

Telling him that he's not a good fit isn't being disrespectful, and it's highly doubtful the coaches told him that the reason is a lack of physicality. More likely, it would be that he was earmarked for the Star position in ex-CEJ's 4-2-5, and they could explain that since that spot is no longer a part of the defense, he would have to play a different position, which means they'd have to re-evaluate him at that position.

Sure, there's still some coachspeak in there, but it's still the truth.

^^This^^

Telling him that he's not a good fit isn't being disrespectful, and it's highly doubtful the coaches told him that the reason is a lack of physicality. More likely, it would be that he was earmarked for the Star position in ex-CEJ's 4-2-5, and they could explain that since that spot is no longer a part of the defense, he would have to play a different position, which means they'd have to re-evaluate him at that position.

About 2 or 3 pages back in this thread, E stated the the staff feels like he's a "finesse" player and that the staff wants a physical, hard hitting Safety thus making him a poor fit. My point is simply that being referred to as finesse and not a hard hitter is something many (basically all) defensive football players might find as disrespecting.

^^This^^

About 2 or 3 pages back in this thread, E stated the the staff feels like he's a "finesse" player and that the staff wants a physical, hard hitting Safety thus making him a poor fit. My point is simply that being referred to as finesse and not a hard hitter is something many (basically all) defensive football players might find as disrespecting.

And the initial post in this quoted series of replies questions how being honest could be disrespectful. You're right that if they had told him they don't want him because he's too much of a finesse player, then it would be difficult not to take that as disrespectful.

My point is that they didn't have to tell him that in order to still remain completely honest with him. Without the Star position, they might well feel he is too big/not built right for safety, but that he is too much of a finesse player for LB or DE, so just saying that they aren't sure he's a great fit for the current defensive scheme would be truthful without belittling his play.

^^This^^

And the initial post in this quoted series of replies questions how being honest could be disrespectful. You're right that if they had told him they don't want him because he's too much of a finesse player, then it wouldn't be difficult not to take that as disrespectful.

My point is that they didn't have to tell him that in order to still remain completely honest with him. Without the Star position, they might well feel he is too big/not built right for safety, but that he is too much of a finesse player for LB or DE, so just saying that they aren't sure he's a great fit for the current defensive scheme would be truthful without belittling his play.

3:48 AM....what the heck?

But your commentary was still on target IMO. Lots of things determine "fit" and they are not necessarily negative characteristics. IMO at least, it's not an insult when a player is told (it's suggested) that he is not a good fit.

Most coaches don't go after kids who are not a proper "fit" but when you start recruiting a kid when he is in the 9th grade, you don't know how he is going to grow or develop over his last 2 or 3 years of HS and he may not turn out as expected. At some point it's right to accept that the "fit" no longer exists...and find a way to move along without insulting the player or his parents.

Is he a good fit on offense somewhere?

No clue. He does not play O or to my knowledge has been looked at on O.

^^This^^

Because the staff feels a certain way does not mean the staff has told the recruits that. There is almost always some sort of coach speak in recruiting from both coaches and recruits. I would bet my pay check the staff has not told Stephen they don't feel he is a good fit at all. You don't burn bridges like that because you don't know if you'll need the kid in the class at some point or the player will strengthen a weakness the staff sees before NSD thus increasing his value. The reality is though they we don't talk with him much right now though. I was just passing on the why as I was told to the staff slowing on SDj at the moment.

• 1 month later...

Jeffrey Lee@JLeeAU21 1h1 hour ago

AU DB commit Stephen Davis Jr tonight: 5 catches, 100 yards, 64-yd TD, 7.5 tackles, 5 solos in 29-20 loss @Mr_davis02

Great game for Mr Davis. I hope

He sticks with AU. I am confident we can find a place for him on the field.

Archived