2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

I know some people including some people whose opinions I really respect say that the new Auburn Coaches are not as high on him as previous coaches and that he also mentioned that he may have committed to early but that he did not de-commit. He was here for Big Cat weekend did that change anything. I can't explain it but I think he is going to be a really good player who will help any program and I am still hoping he comes to Auburn and that we still want him.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^ Read that he was studying for SATs and did not come to Big Cat.

I saw he was on the list and I assumed he came thanks for that information.

Coach speak.

I agree 100%. Any kid that wanted to play at Auburn would find a few hours elsewhere to study for SATs. If interested, he'd have been here for Big Cat.

So I'm sure this has been covered already, but at 6'4, does anyone really expect him to play safety or running back instead of linebacker or TE?

I think there are plenty of 6'4"guys that would make awesome safeties

To be honest, considering the gene pool he came out of, I wouldn't be surprised if he could play just about anywhere on the field, especially in college. But there are smaller guys who can play safety with the same kind of speed/agility, whereas linebackers with such athleticism are few and far between. We're talking Karlos Dansby type of potential here...

Coach speak.

I agree 100%. Any kid that wanted to play at Auburn would find a few hours elsewhere to study for SATs. If interested, he'd have been here for Big Cat.

Add that to the reason he did not come to A-Day was he was taking the SAT that weekend too.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the change in recruiting strategy for this kid? Will it help us get his signature?

No change, Auburn wants him to be at Auburn.

Maybe he is just making sure or he is seriously looking at one or more schools as an option. No way to know unless he tells someone what his intentions are.

Would hurt not land a legacy player's progengy, but that could also be part of his hesitation. May not like the extra pressure of having to play under the shadow of his dad.

What's the change in recruiting strategy for this kid? Will it help us get his signature?

Maybe he is just making sure or he is seriously looking at one or more schools as an option. No way to know unless he tells someone what his intentions are.

Would hurt not land a legacy player's progengy, but that could also be part of his hesitation. May not like the extra pressure of having to play under the shadow of his dad.

Respectfully disagree here. The staff may want him later but right now it still looks like Boom does not see SDj as a fit for his D. We are talking to him about once every 2 weeks. Historically that usually means a recruit is not a top priority.

Respectfully disagree here. The staff may want him later but right now it still looks like Boom does not see SDj as a fit for his D. We are talking to him about once every 2 weeks. Historically that usually means a recruit is not a top priority.

^^This^^

In no way do I know as much about football as any College coach (that is what they do for a living) and especially the Auburn coaches like Boom and T'Rob. A few posters have said that they are not that high on Davis as the previous coaches and he doesn't fit their ideal safety. The Kid is 6'4" tall about 215 pounds and has good wheels. To me that seems like a pretty good fit at Safety. What doesn't fit their model is he to tall, not fast enough is it his hips. I am not arguing just a little confused.

In no way do I know as much about football as any College coach (that is what they do for a living) and especially the Auburn coaches like Boom and T'Rob. A few posters have said that they are not that high on Davis as the previous coaches and he doesn't fit their ideal safety. The Kid is 6'4" tall about 215 pounds and has good wheels. To me that seems like a pretty good fit at Safety. What doesn't fit their model is he to tall, not fast enough is it his hips. I am not arguing just a little confused.

Fair question. I am not sure. I have wanted him all along. I think keeping it in the family generally leads to a athlete dedicated to the school and program.

I think people aren't as high on him because the coaches aren't. Most believe he'll develop into a LB.

I understand that the coaches are not as high on him but the fact that he might grow more and become a Linebacker doesn't seem like a great reason as much as we need linebackers. If he has the speed to play safety and adds 20 pounds he would be a heck of a Linebacker. What I am really looking for is what is their idea of what a safety should be physically and athletically and where he falls short. Posters keep saying he doesn't fit the coaches idea of what it takes to play safety in their system what is it about him that does not make him the ideal candidate.

That is the kind of answer I have been looking for he is set on playing safety and not interested in Linebacker even though that might eventually be his best position.

The only reason there could be they don't want him is because he doesn't tackle well. But I think I remember people saying similar things to that athlete that went to play for Clemson and he's a monster now

He seems to be Derrick Moncrief 2.0. A big safety that wants to play only as a safety.

I feel like that is a pretty fair comparison. If Davis has the athleticism to play safety to start out with, then I say let him begin there. Maybe he will see after a year or so that he might be a better/truer fit at LB and be more willing then to switch. Or maybe he actually could be a good, BIG safety. Who knows for sure right now.

Archived