2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

JMO but I never put too much faith in these early commits. Guess there is no reason not to make the offers or accept the commits but lots can happen in 3 years...new coaches, new scheme....kid does not show the level of improvement that was expected, etc. etc. So let's see what happens in Feb.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the renewed interest from Character was the tipping point. Regardless, good luck to this kid.

No. We are taking at least 2 safeties and we are recruiting character at both CB and safety

Maybe his dad can talk Jr into being a man of his word by sticking with Auburn.

It appears our new defensive coaches are not as high on him as the previous coaches. So I think being a man of his word is not in play in this situation.

It's amazing how many guys we didn't want this year

Normally I'd be tracking with you, but when you have a coaching staff change on one side of the ball, especially at coordinator, that's going to happen more.

I mean you always get this once and a while, but literally every guy that we talked about but didn't get it has been said we cooled on them. Even price and Hamm. Hamm ended up signing with is and apparently we're still looking at price but it was still we didn't want him anyway...

All fan base sa

I mean you always get this once and a while, but literally every guy that we talked about but didn't get it has been said we cooled on them. Even price and Hamm. Hamm ended up signing with is and apparently we're still looking at price but it was still we didn't want him anyway...

All fan base say that we're no different. You really don't expect us to say he liked it better somewhere else or we made a mistake. Heaven forbid.

Derrick Brown, too. I don't have the time to dig back through that thread all the way, but it's there.

By Davis decommitng, does this mean we've lost him for good?

It appears that we don't want him. If by "lost" you mean a player that we're not interested in will be going elsewhere else, I suppose you are correct.

Maybe a mutual parting like with the WR Burton or with a no fault divorce. Sometimes it is best for both parties to just move on.

If our coaches keep recruiting him then we'll know they want him.

exactly...and if nobody in the athletic dept rushes over to South Carolina, we know that this parting of the ways is more or less by mutual consent.....which IMO, is fine....and in fact, good to find this out now rather than 4 months from now...or two years from now.

If our coaches keep recruiting him then we'll know they want him.

Those who sometimes know things have been saying for over two months now that we've stopped recruiting him. In this case, there's good evidence that we don't want him.

All fan base sa

All fan base say that we're no different. You really don't expect us to say he liked it better somewhere else or we made a mistake. Heaven forbid.

No I understand that, it's part of recruiting like stars doesn't matter but if we sign a guy with 5 stars it does and it's every school. I'm saying this year in particular they say it with every single recruit. I'm just going to go off what I believe as far as are we interested in a guy or not is all I'm saying.

I heard an interview with Jason Caldwell from ITAT today and he basically said the same as many here- that we are gonna stay in contact to some degree with SDJ and that things obviously can change, but that it looks like we are looking at other players (specifically mentioned Character). It is a difference of opinion and of scheme/personel between the old and new D staffs. It is what it is.

Cole, generally, I agree with you. The "we didn't want him" or "we cooled on him" thing is a coping mechanism. In this case, however, I think it's kind of true. I can only think of one other instance where a new staff genuinely turned away from a committed player like this: Jordan Wilkins. We made it clear to that guy that we didn't care where he went, but he wasn't getting calls from the new staff. This feels a lot like that.

Doesn't really make sense when we don't have another guy, like with Wilkins we had barber. But I really wasn't being specific, I've followed recruiting for quite a bit of time myself and I've never seen the we didn't want him, we stopped recruiting him used as often as this before. I mean think about it we damn near messed up evaluating half our draft board!

Since it's still a long ways from signing day, Davis Jr could change his mind 100 times and might sign with Auburn after all. Who knows.

Doesn't really make sense when we don't have another guy, like with Wilkins we had barber. But I really wasn't being specific, I've followed recruiting for quite a bit of time myself and I've never seen the we didn't want him, we stopped recruiting him used as often as this before. I mean think about it we damn near messed up evaluating half our draft board!

It does make sense if the situation is "We can't use him, period. If we can't get another safety, save the scholarship." That's pretty much what it looks like right now.

It does make sense if the situation is "We can't use him, period. If we can't get another safety, save the scholarship." That's pretty much what it looks like right now.

Agree....I don't think we are into awarding scholarships just to fill out the numbers. If there is some perception that he does not fit...better to have the scholarship for later when a JUCO or grad-transfer becomes available.

Lots of butthurt in these threads. AU wants a hard nose kid at safety/LB & Davis is not that type of kid. Davis is a more finesse type of player. Not a knock on Davis and will be better on both Davis & AU that Davis plays somewhere else. That's all that's too this. Nothing more or less.

Archived