2016 3* LB/S Stephen Davis Jr.

EagleDamnWar

He is a player he can play at his current weight or a little bit more. He had great numbers on both sides of the ball

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been in the works for a while. He has not been a top target for months. Time will tell if the staff made a mistake there.

Frick

It was a matter of time. New defensive staff wasn't high on him and they weren't sure what position they wanted him to play if he did come. He said a few weeks ago that he hadn't heard from the coaches in a while. That isn't an oversight.

Just curious but I don't recall any mention of anyone noticing his daddy around campus in the years since. Just how close to Auburn is his daddy.

It's been covered quite a bit on here by WDEWDE and others. There are differing opinions w/ no concensus.

Frick

It was a matter of time. New defensive staff wasn't high on him and they weren't sure what position they wanted him to play if he did come. He said a few weeks ago that he hadn't heard from the coaches in a while. That isn't an oversight.

Maybe. But a 5* AU legacy who i recall was very excited along with his father to commit to AU; you just don't do that imo. I think this is a bad mistake just like not taking the UL QB who wanted to come to AU.

Frick

Maybe. But a 5* AU legacy who i recall was very excited along with his father to commit to AU; you just don't do that imo. I think this is a bad mistake just like not taking the UL QB who wanted to come to AU.

He's a 4 * and a very low one at that.

Frick

Ahh okay. Gotcha

Yeah, this was expected. Maybe a mistake by the staff, but we'll see. I don't personallay think it does anyone anygood for us to speculate about his dad and his relationship with Auburn. We obviously want to get the best class. Davis may be part of it, still.

Frick

He's a 4-star on two sites and a 3-star on the other. And even a few months ago he said he was only about "70% committed." You don't take guys just because they are legacies.

And the jury is still out on the UL QB. It's one game, no film on him, and he basically just ran around using his speed and quickness. He wasn't running Petrino's offense - the offense we prepared for. It is yet to be seen whether he can take over a game against a decent defense who gameplans for him.

Frick

That UL QB would be a reserve WR at Auburn this year and a probable WR starter future years. If someone wants to say we passed on a potential WR starter, ok.

You cannot sign them all. Some we miss-judge, some we simply can't get and some we do get. Some we get work out, some don't and it's that way everywhere. Nothing's certain so the coaches do what they think is best.

Frick

That UL QB would be a reserve WR at Auburn this year and a probable WR starter future years. If someone wants to say we passed on a potential WR starter, ok.

You cannot sign them all. Some we miss-judge, some we simply can't get and some we do get. Some we get work out, some don't and it's that way everywhere. Nothing's certain so the coaches do what they think is best.

all true....and some folks just can't help complaining over what might have been....

Frick

You do not have the luxury to speak in such absolute terms. Relatively speaking, he may have initially seemed to be a better choice at WR than at QB, but he obviously has a lot of talents to be desired at either position. Heck, he could've started off at safety, went to QB, went back to safety, and then ended up at WR before his career was over at Auburn, ya just never know.

Back to Davis Jr. I'm surprised he waited this long to decommit. As for his dad who knows? He hasn't been close to Auburn from what I know but he's never been close to anything outside the Spartanburg area. I think it's just his personality.

Some of those passes he stuck? Nah he can play qb. That one pass on third and long was a laser.....perfect placement, the wr couldn't drop the ball he literally hit him in his hands in stride. He wouldn't start here but he'd push everybody else after a redshirt year

By Davis decommitng, does this mean we've lost him for good?

It appears that we don't want him. If by "lost" you mean a player that we're not interested in will be going elsewhere else, I suppose you are correct.

It's amazing how many guys we didn't want this year

We can only take 25 which leaves large number that we don't want. From reports starting so time ago, we backed off his recruitment and really don't see a place for him. Don't see this as amazing that Davis finally got the message and re-opened his recruiting.

Archived