Jovon Robinson dismissed

Metalsinger418

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If I were Jovon, I would humble myself and, beg to get back onto this football team.  Time and opportunities are often fleeting.  Temporarily swallowing your pride seems prudent in this case.

61871961.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If I were Jovon, I would humble myself and, beg to get back onto this football team.  Time and opportunities are often fleeting.  Temporarily swallowing your pride seems prudent in this case.

Its way to late for that.

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Its way to late for that.

Yep....some folks apparently think that AU is some kind of half-way house  a primary responsibility to rehabilitate troubled youth. Meanwhile, hundreds of well qualified HS kids in the state will be getting rejections letters from AU due to limited space for them.

22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....some folks apparently think that AU is some kind of half-way house  a primary responsibility to rehabilitate troubled youth. Meanwhile, hundreds of well qualified HS kids in the state will be getting rejections letters from AU due to limited space for them.

Definitely too late for Jovon and it should be too late.  However; we have kind of earned the half-way house moniker over the past 6 years. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  The part of your post I put in bold is a discussion for a new thread, but the thread would not last long because the truth is too hard for some folks to hear.

wde

7 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

But I thought you felt he did nothing wrong? You claimed, maybe he was disrespected. Why the sudden change in perspective?

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

But I thought you felt he did nothing wrong? You claimed, maybe he was disrespected. Why the sudden change in perspective?

You are so certain you know, you have stopped reading or,thinking.  The real world is not defined by your political and religious hypocrisy.

I never said that he did nothing wrong.  I never claimed he was disrespected.  What I did say was, I see indications that the problems aren't limited to Jovon.

as for JR's time at Georgia Military, what is the coed mix there?  obviously, there is a military vibe to the school.  are there any females on campus?  I only ask, because this could be a big part of JR being "kept in check" while attending there.  clearly, the school size is considerably smaller too, which makes it easier to keep one under scrutinizing thumbs.  Just a thought.  Regardless, there were issues present here.  he is no longer with the team, and there is nothing we can do about it.  Curiosity begs us to find out what really happened, but we have no choice but to take the "next man up" approach and focus on the season in front of us.  I think we are going to be fine.

20 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Definitely too late for Jovon and it should be too late.  However; we have kind of earned the half-way house moniker over the past 6 years. Sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.  The part of your post I put in bold is a discussion for a new thread, but the thread would not last long because the truth is too hard for some folks to hear.

wde

The truth is easy to hear but hard to bear for some folks. Good decent hard-working kids don't get to matriculate at Auburn (or ANY power 5 University) while inner city thugs are welcomed and held up as heroes. Happens in basketball too. All you have to do to get a free ride is play a sport well. The Auburn Creed means nothing to the vast majority of football and basketball players at Auburn. How many of these guys do you expect to find a cure for AIDS, or solve our nation's energy and infrastructure problems, or eradicate terrorism? How many of them even care? We are to blame for this because we refuse to stop following the garbage college football has become. 

4 minutes ago, Tmoney56 said:

The truth is easy to hear but hard to bear for some folks. Good decent hard-working kids don't get to matriculate at Auburn (or ANY power 5 University) while inner city thugs are welcomed and held up as heroes. Happens in basketball too. All you have to do to get a free ride is play a sport well. The Auburn Creed means nothing to the vast majority of football and basketball players at Auburn. How many of these guys do you expect to find a cure for AIDS, or solve our nation's energy and infrastructure problems, or eradicate terrorism? How many of them even care? We are to blame for this because we refuse to stop following the garbage college football has become. 

You nailed it.  But we can't really go there so don't be surprised if you are given "warning points" or sent to time out from certain powers that be on this board (and many other AU boards) for telling the truth.

wde

15 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

You nailed it.  But we can't really go there so don't be surprised if you are given "warning points" or sent to time out from certain powers that be on this board (and many other AU boards) for telling the truth.

wde

Guess I would be less strident in expressing this view but no doubt, AU and most scholarship-athlete schools have a priority problem....and I say this as an avid football fan and thus an enabler of the culture we are decrying.  

Yet I keep hoping that AU,  and the others in the same situation,  will eventually find some sort of middle ground.  But with multi-million coaching salaries and such, the money drives the priorities .......and we will likely continue to welcome marginally qualified or clearly unqualified student athletes (academics, sociability, etc.) to play the games.....and thus we should not be too surprised when things don't work out for some of them....and the +/-50 who do not graduate.  That's the game AU's leadership and alums have chosen to play.

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Guess I would be less strident in expressing this view but no doubt, AU and most scholarship-athlete schools have a priority problem....and I say this as an avid football fan and thus an enabler of the culture we are decrying.  

Yet I keep hoping that AU,  and the others in the same situation,  will eventually find some sort of middle ground.  But with multi-million coaching salaries and such, the money drives the priorities .......and we will likely continue to welcome marginally qualified or clearly unqualified student athletes (academics, sociability, etc.) to play the games.....and thus we should not be too surprised when things don't work out for some of them....and the +/-50 who do not graduate.  That's the game AU's leadership and alums have chosen to play.

Oh I am with you as I embrace/enable AU as a football factory when it comes to athletics wholeheartedly.  This is why I am bitched at on this and other boards when I post that athletically, we are a football factory and are no different from spuat, uga, LSU, Ohio State, etc when it comes to athletics.  I also often point out that I can easily separate Auburn University academically for those that are attending Auburn for the education from Auburn athletics (primarily football and basketball).  Again, since we are a football factory athletically, I want us to win accordingly.  

wde

41 minutes ago, Tmoney56 said:

This is stupid. How many inner city guys we even have on this team? Last one I remember graduated with his degree....But you guys love movies and whatnot so you'll say whatever

59 minutes ago, cole256 said:

This is stupid. How many inner city guys we even have on this team? Last one I remember graduated with his degree....But you guys love movies and whatnot so you'll say whatever

I think the inner city thing was a generality by the OP but the message should not be lost.   You can be a thug/redneck/criminal (white, black, yellow, brown, etc)  no matter where you come from.  AU and the same universities we recruit against are recruiting in the same gene pool and those rednecks/thugs are getting far more benefits than those regular students  who are attending AU for an education only. 

wde

They are also doing far more with less time. They should get more benefits. And many of them could easily get grants and things of that nature and have all of their free time. If you haven't been an athlete you have no foundation to pretend that it's easier for them, in actuality you don't know

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

They are also doing far more with less time. They should get more benefits. And many of them could easily get grants and things of that nature and have all of their free time. If you haven't been an athlete you have no foundation to pretend that it's easier for them, in actuality you don't know

I understand your concerns on stereotyping but face it, most of these guys would not be able to get into AU with grants or anything else.....and would be in small colleges or Jucos.....assuming they had the motivation to do so....which nobody knows.  

Maybe I don't understand all their situations but when I read their bios and watch their difficulty meeting minimum NCAA requirements which are substantially below what AU requires of non-athletes....it's obvious that as many as 2/3rds of our scholarship football and basketball signees would never qualify for a major state university without athletic considerations.  That's not necessarily their fault....they go to crappy HSs and don't get parental support and their schools promote them along year after year...or whatever....but that's what's going on and there is no denying it. 

Meanwhile, if the benefits are inadequate, they should consider going to school as a standard student and find ways to make up the $30-40K worth of benefits they get now and play intramural ball and enjoy their free time. 

Right so don't forget the kids who go to school and are wealthy, who doesn't have any talent whatsoever that don't work, have any discipline at all, don't do anything besides drink and drugs, but get viewed as poster children for the university. You see they are never scrutinized or mentioned on here. It's either play sports or hard working students let you tell it. 

As far as 2/3 not qualifying, Yeah that let's me know you haven't ever done it yourself so you just generalize what it must be. You're always so angry at the guys who like you stated did get a crappy hand at going to a crappy school but using their physical talent to get somewhere. Jealousy from people who aren't as gifted. When if they couldn't play you or anybody else would give a damn about them. 

In your mind most of them are stupid, but even with what they do, they are far more likely to be able to be a regular student and doing that, that a regular student would be able to in their situation.

But this jealousy thing you do is the same with all prospects. You are very quick to negative talk a 5 star guy but you run to the defense of the 3 star guy who hasn't done anything in the sport. Because of your generalizations. The five star guy hasn't done anything in life less, but he has shown more physical talent, had more production at his sport, has had more responsibility, has used more of his time. But you pretty much are a hater of this guy because he is good, smh. 

Regular students cry if their teachers raise their voice, they don't deal with the same pressures. Oh and the athletes also go out and work to, once again if you don't know you probably shouldn't judge.

Auburn graduation rate is 70.9% the football teams graduation rate is 70% despite playing football and the time commitment that football players have to their sport they have about the same graduation rate as any other Auburn student. So despite all the talk about the quality of student who comes to Auburn to play football they seem to do very good when it comes to graduating. Other Auburn students flame out but because they are not athletes it doesn't make the news channels.  We spend to much time talking about the ones that screw up and not enough time celebrating the ones who graduate and go on to a great life.

Auburn GSR, by sport
1. Men's tennis, 100
1. Women's golf, 100
3. Women's basketball, 92
4. Women's gymnastics, 90
5. Softball, 88
5. Women's swimming, 88
7. Women's soccer, 86
7. Women's tennis, 86
9. Men's swimming, 74
10. Football, 70
10. Men's track, 70
10. Women's track, 70
13. Women's volleyball, 60
14. Men's basketball, 58
15. Men's golf, 57
16. Baseball, 48

Sorry Cole...you are clueless about me and what I think and my life's experiences.   One thing however, my "jealousy" might be translated into being tired of hearing about"poor me" and all the people who had it tough and should be excused.  Sorry but outside of college athletics the world does not work that way and nobody cares about how many stars a guy had in HS. 

All those non-athletes you mention who waste their college opportunity usually self-eliminate themselves because no one is coddling them, doing their work for them or whatever .....so usually they are soon gone from AU...leaving a spot for some HS kid who really wants a chance at a college education.  You are right, there is no publicity over most of them.....but at least they aren't hanging around wasting a valuable seat in an AU classroom.

As for our student athletes, it will be about whether he or she is taking , or took advantage of their educational opportunities and is prepared to do something other than play professional sports but I've listened to enough interviews of student athletes from all schools to be thoroughly discouraged about the futures ahead of most of them.   There are some happy surprises.....but not near enough. 

On 8/6/2016 at 6:53 PM, AU64 said:

Dan Mullen has beaten us with those kids, two years running...

Should we be done with this topic? JR is gone and ain't never coming back.  Just another what if topic now.

17 hours ago, cole256 said:

"Inner city" is a euphemism used to describe an attitude or a world view. I suppose it was lost on you. I will simplify my posts in the future to better engage the masses rather than trying to use the language in a descriptive manner. Better yet, I will post in textspeak. Will that work for you? U shud get dat aight.

19 minutes ago, Tmoney56 said:

"Inner city" is a euphemism used to describe an attitude or a world view. I suppose it was lost on you. I will simplify my posts in the future to better engage the masses rather than trying to use the language in a descriptive manner. Better yet, I will post in textspeak. Will that work for you? U shud get dat aight.

You really shouldn't blame somebody else for misunderstanding your private little language. You've looked dumb twice now, particularly for somebody with 6 posts under their belt. 

56 minutes ago, Tmoney56 said:

You can't employ euphemisms that aren't widely understood by most.  "Inner city" does not carry that connotation for most people.  In fact, if it carries any connotation at all, it is that it's code for just saying "poor black people" without saying it openly.  Thus one can criticize "inner city" kids in ways that would get you accused of racism if you just said "poor black kids."

So don't throw that off on others when it's your fault for not saying what you say you meant more clearly.

Archived