What about the TE position?

Auburn2Eugene

It would sure be nice to have a threat as a TE. Just look at what Cam has done with the Panthers. His WR1 has always been a TE. Steve Smith was 40, well past his prime, and the FSU guy and Michigan guy are a solid 2 and 3 respectively, but neither are a true WR1. Its still his TE. Now I am by no means comparing anyone on our roster to Cam, I am just saying Cam is setting NFL passing records with his go to guy being a TE. We haven't had anything resembling a threat from our TE since Lutz...MAYBE Uzamah(sp?) And before them... Well its been since I was a kid (40 now) since we have had a threat at TE (Robert Johnson maybe?) It'd sure be nice to get some production from that position. This season we have a RSF Harris and a true freshmen Rice. Do any of you insiders or guys who have seen practices, know if we are looking to have any production from the TE this season? 

Good receiving TE's are hard to find. Lutz and Uzomah were good TE but not great. OJ Howard, now that's a great TE... You can find good blockers but they have to be able to catch great and be quick off the line run great routes and have decent speed LB's and Safety's of today are big as and faster than most TE's... Rice has the chance to become a good one for US but it's hard to find all around TE's... Even OJ Howard isn't the best blocker, he's gotten better though. As hard as it is to find a really good TE, then think about how good u gotta be to start in NFL... Those guys are unreal, most are 6-4 to 6-6 all 250lbs + and run 4.5 to 4.8 40's. 

I feel like most coaches use TE's to about the same extent as Gus, some maybe a little more some a little less. 

I feel like the only offenses that frequently target TE's are those with special talents at the position. 

Auburn with Lutz, Bama with Howard, New Englang, Carolina and a few other pro teams come to mind but really only the ones with a special talent at the position. 

2 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Benjamin is top 10 WR in the NFL. 

Fun chads ain't no slouch either, he was a Rookie.

Can't say I agree with you there Scotts. Benjamin can have a solid career but a top 10 WR, he is not. He has the potential, but he isn't anywhere close to that now...

1 hour ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Good receiving TE's are hard to find. Lutz and Uzomah were good TE but not great. OJ Howard, now that's a great TE... You can find good blockers but they have to be able to catch great and be quick off the line run great routes and have decent speed LB's and Safety's of today are big as and faster than most TE's... Rice has the chance to become a good one for US but it's hard to find all around TE's... Even OJ Howard isn't the best blocker, he's gotten better though. As hard as it is to find a really good TE, then think about how good u gotta be to start in NFL... Those guys are unreal, most are 6-4 to 6-6 all 250lbs + and run 4.5 to 4.8 40's. 

I agree, guys like Olsen, Gonzalez, Gates,  and Gronk are total freaks of nature. Not everyone can have one. But I can't think of one we have ever fielded. I mean it seems Gus would rather run a 6th OL than a TE. Its bizarre and I don't understand his thinking.

57 minutes ago, Charhair said:

I feel like most coaches use TE's to about the same extent as Gus, some maybe a little more some a little less. 

Sorry. Can't agree with this either. A TE is a fixture on a traditional pro style offense. We don't run that. I understand. But most still field them. 

If we don't want to use them cool. Why recruit them? I mean with the restrictions on signing classes, why waste the spot on a TE if we don't utilize the position?

Your right 73 Rec and over 1000yds as a rookie is not great. Wow... And to think if he was on a team with no other good targets. 

Also, to think of it I can't think of any great TE in a spread Offense... Oregon ever had one? Does Clemson ? TE is basically a OL because when you spread the D out u want the big body blocking Safety's or Nickel's on a read or a zone run.

2015: Funchess was a ROOKIE. Benjamin (2nd year) was INJURED. That explains Olsen having better stats last year. Although they were pretty consistent with his 2014 stats.

2014: Benjamin (ROOKIE) vs Olsen:

Olsen: 84 - 1008 - 6TD

Benjamin: 73 - 1008 - 9TD

2016: If healthy, I would expect Benjamin to have a BIG year, and exceed Olsen's production (again). He definitely has the potential to be a Top-10 WR. 

I think Landon Rice has the potential to be a stud at tight end, personally. Don't know how he's doing in preseason camp, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him become one of the more dependable receivers, particularly in the red zone.

11 hours ago, Charhair said:

I feel like the only offenses that frequently target TE's are those with special talents at the position. 

Auburn with Lutz, Bama with Howard, New Englang, Carolina and a few other pro teams come to mind but really only the ones with a special talent at the position. 

This is actually incorrect. Our offense rarely if ever actually utilizes an ACTUAL tight end. By actual tight end, I mean a player who has and is a tight end by size and prior usage in high school. The H-Backs who have seen most of the action is this offense have been Fullbacks by nature, which, while a cousin of the TE position isn't an actual tight end and doesn't bring to the table what a tight end can bring. There actually several really good TEs who make amazing catches and have multiple reception games throughout their college career, it's just whether or not they become scoring machines like NFL tight ends do is the issue. Which in all actuality, really isn't even necessary when you look at the nature of college football. Most of the guys that you go up against in the redzone simply aren't as rangy or large as they are in the NFL where a big strong body is necessary. Therefore, you can really score in the redzone more reliably with your other position groups. Hunter Henry, Jeremy Sprinkle, Evan Ingram, Wolfe from Tenn are just a few to name some off the top of the dome. 

8 hours ago, ScottsboroAuburnFan said:

Your right 73 Rec and over 1000yds as a rookie is not great. Wow... And to think if he was on a team with no other good targets. 

Also, to think of it I can't think of any great TE in a spread Offense... Oregon ever had one? Does Clemson ? TE is basically a OL because when you spread the D out u want the big body blocking Safety's or Nickel's on a read or a zone run.

This, I will also have to disagree. First, the distinction of a spread offense is inaccurate as there is no FULLY SPREAD offense. The spread is a concept in which you have 3 or more WRs flexed out. The QB doesn't have to be in the gun or pistol for it to be considered a spread concept either. That being said, there are plenty of TEs in college that have been making their mark. Go back to my upper post as well as take a look at the stat-sheets and production. It's actually rare to have a pure blocking TE unless you count Auburn's H-Backs and most TE #2s on a team. You see a lot of multiple TE teams where there will be a TE who is the go to, and a second who is either a wing, or on the opposite side for extra blocking help. Still, the TE is used a lot. Also something that might be throwing you off is that it's not as common to see formations with the TE-inline anymore. Lots of colleges have TE's playing where the Split End would normally play, some use them as WRs in the slot and you can miss where they are, some are even in the backfield like a RB. TE is arguably one of the most versatile and dangerous positions in MANY offenses. Very few pure air-raid teams even go without them. I.E. Texas Tech. (Since they lost Jace Amaro at least. )

Granted, I admit that I don't read every report or story out there (real life must be tended to, after all) but I've seen next to nothing on AU's TE's.  Seems they've recruited very well at the position, and Lutz, Uzomah, etc proved that it can be a VERY valuable in Gus's O.  

I would love to see that be a breakout position this year.

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

Granted, I admit that I don't read every report or story out there (real life must be tended to, after all) but I've seen next to nothing on AU's TE's.  Seems they've recruited very well at the position, and Lutz, Uzomah, etc proved that it can be a VERY valuable in Gus's O.  

I would love to see that be a breakout position this year.

Since then, recruiting has been sparse, a lot of TEs have left the program and Greg Hall (A former TE) was actually moved to LB in lieu of the depth shortages.

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Since then, recruiting has been sparse, a lot of TEs have left the program and Greg Hall (A former TE) was actually moved to LB in lieu of the depth shortages.

Not doubting you at all (love your insights BTW) but I'm thinking currently of Jalen Harris & Landon Rice.  Unless I've missed some news (which is certainly possible) they should be ready and rearing to break out this year.

And as a nod to your recent post, even if it's as H-backs.... which to my recollection was created (in the 80's, I think - Wash Redskins maybe?) as a hybrid TE/FB.

War Eagle!

Archived