Time to fire Gus.

Skyler97

3 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Agreed  he is locked in.  

Strongly disagree. Fanbase is done with him, players seem to be frustraited S well. We have liget 2 more sure thing games. Money talks and tickets were leas than 20$ for todays game, lsu is about 20$ as well and still have plenty left. If the support from everone is not there he is gone

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

A Win against LSU and the season can be turned around as crazy and unlikely as that might seem.

My hope springs eternal...Moo State gave LSU a headache tonight...but although my :jossun:will never dampen for Auburn itself, my confidence and excitement about the present leadership genuinely has. #toomanyblipsovertoolongatime

This began when Gus could not get Jeremy Johnson ready last year. He & Duke Williams should have set records together. Jeremy Johnson is one of the most physically gifted QB's Auburn has EVER had.

Then, he could not convince either offensive tackle to stay for their final year of eligibility. As a result, we down graded at both tackle positions and the Center position after we were forced to move our center to LT. 

These issues are all compounded by the fact that we were unable to sign 5* OT Martez Ivey even though he was living with our Chandler Cox's family. Then we signed Tyler Queen instead of Lamar Jackson. Let that sink in all night...

2 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Exactly!  This is why I want us to look deeply into the Art Briles situation.  He could possibly be the football version of Bruce Pearl.

I don't think Briles comes to AU.

Briles and Gus are great friends and it would sort of be like Briles going behind his back to date his ex. Not that that would get in the way of most people, especially with millions of $ on the line, but Briles will be able to take his pick of a job (if we offer him, you better believe others will too) within the next few years and if staying in Texas is as big of a deal to him as some have made it seem, I'm guessing that's where he stays.

i was more or less saying that though. We don't need a small off the field incident to hold us back from making the correct hire.  The juxtaposition of the basketball coach compared the hire of the football coach about sums that up. 

If we hire petrino instead of Gus, we're looking like UL right now. Instead we are all ready to fire a coach who appears to not know what he's doing.

as compared to the risk we took with basketball, paying off and now our program has a top recruiting class and a hyped up upcoming season and a coach who isn't question by his fans on a weekly basis. 

Considering we are a "football school" I feel like we should expect to see even more of a reach, if necessary, as our HC for football. 

Go out and hire a winner. I don't care if it's Urban, Harburough(???), Sabam, Belichick, whoever it is needs to have a nice proven track record. If they come to auburn and consistently win then they will turn into an Auburn man. 

It's like our football hires are done on a basis of who has either played/coached at auburn before or who has the least amount of experience and will be easiest to convert to an "auburn man". 

Im not saying we should keep him but I'm not calling to fire Gus either. 

No matter how much we gripe about it, our next HC (if Gus was fired between tomorrow and the end of this season) would probably end up being someone like Muschamp. I don't see why people are in love with Herman, seems like a Malzahn in a different/weaker conference. He coached under urban and beating up on lower tier teams while being in one of the biggest recruiting hot beds in the country is not validation for that dude being our next HC. 

I'm guessing their game against UL will look a lot like FSU's this morning

33 minutes ago, tombigbeetiger said:

I tried to tell them what we were getting in coach doublebubble....i'll damn sure say it " I TOLD YOU SO"....

I wanted Strong. I thought Gus would be an 8-9 win consistent HC but struggle with the better teams like Bama, LSU and UGA. I wish that was the case right now. We're not even on that level. We're getting passed by Ole Miss and a team like Arky who doesn't even recruit close to the talent that we do. 

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

There are mistakes.....and then there are total failures of character and the lack of a moral compass. 

I'm glad everyone is riding the ole high horse tonight. Also I am not saying hire petrino.  I am saying winning cures all. Quote the creed guys or accept the reality. Winning is everything and until AU has that mindset there will be these type of games , seasons, and continued coaching get carousel.  I know it's sucks.

4 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Yep,  its hard to change that type of mentality. 

And for some it's hard to understand how people prefer winning and lack of character to being average with character. I'll take average with character every day and twice on Sundays over selling out morals to win a damn football game.  Integrity is everything. There are more important things in life than football. When AU starts becoming a win at all costs program like the turds, that's the day I stop cheering. 

I feel like we have the talent. With a decent coach, we should rebound again.

We seem to have two years of sliding and then two years of ascending. Rinse and repeat. If we were still in the BCS era, this pattern would be a whole lot easier to identify (the four-year rotation among championship sites). We seem to ascend on formerly known as Rose and Fiesta years and decline on formerly known as Sugar and Orange years. Since next year would've been known as a Rose year, we're on our way up again if patterns hold.

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

I'm glad everyone is riding the ole high horse tonight. Also I am not saying hire petrino.  I am saying winning cures all. Quote the creed guys or accept the reality. Winning is everything and until AU has that mindset there will be these type of games , seasons, and continued coaching get carousel.  I know it's sucks.

Winning is only a very small component of what's truly important. I feel sorry for those that don't understand that. 

Just now, FoundationEagle said:

And for some it's hard to understand how people prefer winning and lack of character to being average with character. I'll take average with character every day and twice on Sundays over selling out morals to win a damn football game.  Integrity is everything. There are more important things in life than football. When AU starts becoming a win at all costs program like the turds, that's the day I stop cheering. 

Don't break the law, don't break NCAA rules and win. That's all I care about in regards to the football team. We are a D-I school and a founding member of the SEC, it's time we start acting like it.

13 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

It is not just about winning. It is about our AD writing contracts for employees of the university that give them a reason to fail at their job. If they are going to pay folks to work here they should at least require them to be somewhat successful at what they do. 

FYI, the BOT has to sign off on every contract.  Jacobs isn't doing a damn thing on his own.  Hell, Jacobs used a committee including Bo Jackson and Pat Sullivan to evaluate available coaches and they signed off on Gus.

5 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

Yep,  its hard to change that type of mentality. 

There is a lot of middle ground between your take and Preacherman's. Pendulum swings wild in desperation. Time will tell regarding coach changes 2B-or-not-2B, but jumping on controversial candidates as the remedy when there are plenty out there who aren't will not ever likely fly, and not just at Auburn. 

4 minutes ago, selias said:

2014. That was the last time we won a home SEC game.

Just awful.  What else can be said.  I don't believe Texas A&M is that good.  I just believe we are that bad offensively.

Just now, WeagleAU said:

Just awful.  What else can be said.  I don't believe Texas A&M is that good.  I just believe we are that bad offensively.

We're not. The talent is available, what we lack is coaching.

Just a second, you know for a fact Gus and Art are best buds, or they just know each other?  I have heard they are just two coaches who have crossed paths.  Both have crossed paths with hundreds of other coaches. Hardly makes "great" friends. 

1 minute ago, Charhair said:

I don't think Briles comes to AU.

Briles and Gus are great friends and it would sort of be like Briles going behind his back to date his ex. Not that that would get in the way of most people, especially with millions of $ on the line, but Briles will be able to take his pick of a job (if we offer him, you better believe others will too) within the next few years and if staying in Texas is as big of a deal to him as some have made it seem, I'm guessing that's where he stays.

i was more or less saying that though. We don't need a small off the field incident to hold us back from making the correct hire.  The juxtaposition of the basketball coach compared the hire of the football coach about sums that up. 

If we hire petrino instead of Gus, we're looking like UL right now. Instead we are all ready to fire a coach who appears to not know what he's doing.

as compared to the risk we took with basketball, paying off and now our program has a top recruiting class and a hyped up upcoming season and a coach who isn't question by his fans on a weekly basis. 

Considering we are a "football school" I feel like we should expect to see even more of a reach, if necessary, as our HC for football. 

Go out and hire a winner. I don't care if it's Urban, Harburough(???), Sabam, Belichick, whoever it is needs to have a nice proven track record. If they come to auburn and consistently win then they will turn into an Auburn man. 

It's like our football hires are done on a basis of who has either played/coached at auburn before or who has the least amount of experience and will be easiest to convert to an "auburn man". 

Im not saying we should keep him but I'm not calling to fire Gus either. 

No matter how much we gripe about it, our next HC (if Gus was fired between tomorrow and the end of this season) would probably end up being someone like Muschamp. I don't see why people are in love with Herman, seems like a Malzahn in a different/weaker conference. He coached under urban and beating up on lower tier teams while being in one of the biggest recruiting hot beds in the country is not validation for that dude being our next HC. 

I'm guessing their game against UL will look a lot like FSU's this morning

Maybe i'm wrong but i just don't know if we can get that at this point. Unless Briles clearly shows he wasn't aware of what went down at Baylor and then apologize for not being better aware i don't see how the fanbase takes him in. IDK....maybe they'll surprise us and welcome him in. Petrino just isn't going to happen. Neither is Herman unless they don't get into the Big 12. 

We all love AU and it's one of the greatest places but at the moment i don't think the top coaches see it as a top 3 or 5 place to go. We def. need to be coming up with some names though.

1 minute ago, War Knight said:

Bet Rhett takes the fall and buys Gus one more year.

And watch Rhette blossom once he gets away from Gus.

1 minute ago, selias said:

Don't break the law, don't break NCAA rules and win. That's all I care about in regards to the football team. We are a D-I school and a founding member of the SEC, it's time we start acting like it.

Of course that is the goal. It's just not the goal at all costs.  

Sorry, I'm not on the Art Briles train either. I can look past extramarital affairs like Petrino. I cannot get past the coverup of sexual assaults.

Archived