Top 4 Wrs based on talent and upside

GwillMac6

I got 1. Kyle Davis 2. NCM 3. Darius Slayton and 4. Eli Stove. It blows my mind the first three I named have not got more playing time. Slayton is so smooth coming in and out of his breaks and snags the ball out of the air effortlessly. Tony Stevens has showed me something this year but there is no way imo Marcus Davis should be getting PT over these.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I got 1. Kyle Davis 2. NCM 3. Darius Slayton and 4. Eli Stove. I blows my mind the first three I named have not got more playing time. Slayton is so smooth coming in and out of his breaks and snags the ball out of the air effortlessly. Tony Stevens has showed me something this year but there is no way imo Marcus Davis should be getting PT over these.

Haven't heard much about Marcus Davis really. Kindve a disappointment after that one catch as a TF. Jason Smith's impact has been disappointing as well. Marcus may not be as talented as the rest but he is still the most experienced. He may block better or posess more statless intangibles than our talented young bucks which puts him on the field.

Our talented WRs will continue to gain confidence in themselves and from the coaches and SW. Their time is soon. ?

39 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Think you just set the record for the longest title for a thread....................thank goodness you used IYO

;] I could of used Wide Receiver to. wheres the credit for that?!

Ryan Davis has shown me more than all of those guys except KD. He's got more catches than the other 3 put together.

This thread feels very star gazey. 

It's very difficult for 4 freshman (3 true freshman) to make big impacts right away. But they are clearly getting better and gaining the trust of the coaches. Tony Stevens has turned the corner and his size is a huge advantage for us. Ryan Davis is fearless. I expect Marcus Davis will get less and less playing time as the year goes on. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ryan Davis has shown me more than all of those guys except KD. He's got more catches than the other 3 put together.

I like how fast Ryan gets downfield once he catches the ball

Tony is probably the best at the moment. He is finally producing so you have to start him. Yes it does bother me that he drops some balls (in big games) and he seems timid - especially going over the middle (like when he fell down against LSU). BUT he has speed, size, and talent... and he seems to be finally playing like he should be playing.

I agree that K Davis should start. He is awesome.

I think R Davis should start in the slot. Marcus can back him up. 

NCM, Eli, and Slayton are all talented and should be first off the bench. 

Great problem to have!

39 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well it's not. Title clearly says "based on talent." It's a subjective thread where each person can have their own opinion..

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Kinda like him having his opinion about the thread feeling star gazey?

Ok, bigbird with a little B.  The title says "Top 4 WRs based on talent." Then he says in the body, "I got 1."

Im sure you can figure out what opinion he was seeking. He already specified this thread was about the top receivers based on talent and their PT....To say this has a star-gazing feel is completely ignoring the parameters of this discussion. 

Hard to say without seeing much from many of our receivers, but I'll go:

1. Kyle Davis

2. T. Stevens 

I'm not sure I could give a real opinion from that point on. No one has separated themselves in my mind. I still think Stevens is our best receiver, but from a raw talent/physical standpoint I'm giving Kyle Davis the edge... Shades of Andre Johnson. 

Marcus Davis minutes have only gotten lessened since the Clemson game, they're definitely opening up the game to the freshmen more and more as we progress. I don't think we'll get to a point where it'll be all freshmen, as Stevens has earned his spot, but a listing of Stevens, KD at starting outside, Ryan Davis/NCM in the slot, and Slayton/Stove rotating outside would be STACKED.

The whole bigbird with a little B thing is pretty juvenile and it's just more evidence of how petulant you can be. I thought you were above that. Thanks for proving me wrong. 

If this is a thread based on people's opinion on who they believe to be the best WR based on talent, and many of the receivers listed were highly rated but have not shown enough on the field to justify where they are listed ,then it does seem star driven.   At the least it's not a hard stretch to see what his opinion is based in.  

However, you, as is most of the time, swoop in and try to be the board monitor on everything you seem to perceive as unfair. I'm sure you'll try and post a witty comeback, but the board has figured you out.  

Before the season started I would've said Stevens was the guy who would be phased out of the rotation. But it looks like it's Marcus Davis and Jason Smith. The thing is both Davis and Smith aren't as good as the other guys who are getting more PT with similar statures and skill sets IMO.

21 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If this is a thread is based on people's opinion on who they believe to be the best WR based on talent, and many of the receivers listed were highly rated but have not shown enough on the field to justify where they are listed ,then it does seem star driven.

Our receivers do not have to have results on the field to confirm their talent. Talent is basically nothing more than potential. Potential isn't always met. We are talking about three true freshmen and a redshirt in his top four. Give them some time to prove they belong on that list. So many freshmen playing already only proves they belong up there. Show me your list of our top WR's based on talent and justify it though since you have issue with it. 

If you don't want a smart ass answer, don't ask me a smart ass question.  It's that simple, bird.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Our receivers do not have to have results on the field to confirm their talent. Talent is basically nothing more than potential. Potential isn't always met. We are talking about three true freshmen and a redshirt in his top four. Give them some time to prove they belong on that list. So many freshmen playing already proves they belong up there. Show me your list of our top WR's based on talent and justify it though since you have issue with it. 

If you want a smart ass answer, don't ask me a smart ass question.  It's that simple, bird.

I guess thats where our opinions differ. You believe talent = potential and that talent doesn't have to be proven.

I believe that in order to know if one has talent it needs to be proven. So I would say talent = realized potential. 

As far as my list goes. 

1. KD

2. RD

3. TS

4. KJ/Hastings/Slayton

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I guess thats where our opinions differ. You believe talent = potential and that talent doesn't have to be proven.

I believe that in order to know if one has talent it needs to be proven. So I would say talent = realized potential. 

As far as my list goes. 

1. KD

2. RD

3. TS

4. KJ/Hastings/Slayton

I don't think talent has to be proven but it's all relative. They're all on scholarship playing football so obviously there is some degree of proven talent.  But we knew the OP meant a higher standard than just garnering a scholarship. We all heard about how electric Jason Smith was in high school and in juco so he's obviously very talented but he is not on the field here at all. That doesn't make him untalented. His talent will never be realized here though. I'd also argue that neither one of those receivers have realized their potential yet. Definitely not KD or Slayton. You are saying those players are proven but they are no more proven than NCM or Eli.

Jason Smith has completely fallen out of grace. Hopefully, he gets on STs. Of course, I predicted this (Self five) based on the fact that he is not a natural WO..IMO this coaching staff is not the best in moving Athletes to specific positions, safe for NM.

giphy.gif

23 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Before the season started I would've said Stevens was the guy who would be phased out of the rotation. But it looks like it's Marcus Davis and Jason Smith. The thing is both Davis and Smith aren't as good as the other guys who are getting more PT with similar statures and skill sets IMO.

That's definitely what my opinion was. We even had insiders telling us not to expect anything from Stevens, which didn't seem like a stretch. But Smith seems to have some sort of personal/attitude/whatever issue and, as you said, it looks like Marcus is now sharing his load with younger guys with a little more juice (he's still 4th on the team, stats-wise). And Stevens finally has the opportunity to be good. 

bird's list looks correct to me, although I'd add M. Davis to that 4th slot. And I think that list will look that same at the end of the season. And, hopefully, the only thing wrong with this thread will end up being the time stamp on it. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jason Smith has completely fallen out of grace. Hopefully, he gets on STs. Of course, I predicted this (Self five) based on the fact that he is not a natural WO..IMO this coaching staff is not the best in moving Athletes to specific positions, safe for NM.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Jason Smith has fallen out of grace for issues between his ears. Has nothing to do with athletic ability. He was our 3rd leading WR last year and our only legitimate deep threat. Congrats on predicting an unfortunate end to his career, though. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Jason Smith has fallen out of grace for issues between his ears. Has nothing to do with athletic ability. He was our 3rd leading WR last year and our only legitimate deep threat. Congrats on predicting an unfortunate end to his career, though. 

Do you know why he is being held out if it's not ability wise? What is wrong between his ears? 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Ryan Davis I believe was a Rivals 100 player. I think top 75 at that.

Archived