This will not be a popular opinion, but my take...

TitanTiger

I have nothing against Lashlee but, we need a new offensive coordinator.  We need someone who builds on, adds to, Gus's system, particularly in the passing game.  

Yesterday was a classic example of, "what do we do now", with the answer being, "I don't know".  Our OC and HC only know what each other knows.  Both AU football and Lashlee deserve to expand their levels of knowledge and experience.  We need an OC who understands Gus's system but, knows a few tricks of his own.

Gus is a great coach and, we should keep him.  However, he doesn't know everything.  Keeeping Lashlee implies that he does.  That is foolish.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wcvet said:

We will have lost three straight to UAT and UGA when this season is done. For 4 million a year, that is unacceptable.

True but, that is also an extremely limited analysis.

3 minutes ago, AubieAH3 said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this, with one big asterisk:

*If we see this coaching staff KILL another potentially good QB in Woody, then it's time for Gus to go. QB development has been non-existent. The only QBs that Gus had real success with were guys who developed somewhere else and then transferred to save the day. 

I agree with all your points, especially about the defense. However, if Gus can't humble himself, realize the problem, and go find someone better on the offensive side (especially to work with the QBs) then the great defense won't matter. 

Let me get this straight Nick who was a CB at Georgia and then played one year of QB at Junior college where he learned all he ever knew about at QB then we have CAM who is a freak of nature no doubt but did you watch both of those QB's when they first started at Auburn can you honestly say they didn't get better under GUS?  Now SW has shown that when healthy thanks to his natural ability and working with our coaches has become one of the better QB's in the SEC.  Gus actually has a pretty good record with QB's. You seem to think that JC coaches must be the best QB coaches in the world because anytime they have a QB for one year they imprint greatness on them. I wonder why more of the are not in the big leagues. 

Basically we have had one QB failure under Gus and that was on the mental side by the way under Gus that same QB has shown nothing but class and we should be glad we have had the opportunity to see an Auburn QB who despite on the bad things that happened on the playing field kept his head up and represented us so well. 

You say he may kill another potentially good QB in Barrett. I don't know if Woody will be a great QB, an average QB, or a bad QB when he arrived people in the know said he has many of the tools but he has some mechanic issues. If he works hard and the mechanic issues that it has taken many years to ingrain he has the chance to get better and become a good QB.  Every year almost every team has a QB like Woody only a few are able to overcome the bad habits and mechanics they developed since they started playing when they we 6 years old and have ingrained over the next 12 years.

There is only 4 maybe 5 people who are talking about wanting to fire Gus. However, CRL needs to find a new home. Gus needs to close out on Stidham, Close out on Gatewood. 

11 minutes ago, wcvet said:

We will have lost three straight to UAT and UGA when this season is done. For 4 million a year, that is unacceptable.

Bingo...I think we can go 8-4 and lose to GA and AL for a hell of a lot less than $4m.   We are officially lost in the football  wilderness and on our way to a repeat of the 70's.  I've now seen the reincarnation of Doug Barfield and the sad part is most on here are ok with that.  Good god folks, I think you all need an Edna Mode wakeup slap.  

Gus isn't going anywhere.  People who came out today and wanted Gus fired and need to back under the rocks they were hiding from.  

25 minutes ago, Nova1121 said:

But if not for some unusual circumstances Pettway would still be a #2 H-back. If he hadn't gotten injured Dampeer would probably still be at center

As if that doesn't happen other places. Yes, if Jovon and Roc were still here, Pettway would be an h-back. And truthfully, he's likely not an NFL tailback still.  Almost any other staff would have evaluated it the same way. 

From what I understand the reason Damperr was as center had more to do with Darius James not practicing well, making Golson a better option at tackle. H just happened to step up as a run blocker when he had to. 

Just now, AuburnKev said:

We simply have to recruit more impact players. Alabama loses somebody they just plug in the next guy. When we lose a player it's a disaster.

If only it were that simple.

3 minutes ago, AuburnKev said:

We simply have to recruit more impact players. Alabama loses somebody they just plug in the next guy. When we lose a player it's a disaster.

Well, we had those guys. But Roc is all about Roc. And Jovon was a bonehead. We didn't lose "a" player, we lost two RBs and their replacement are hurt too. QB is the only spot where we couldn't afford to lose the starter. 

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Well, we had those guys. But Roc is all about Roc. And Jovon was a bonehead. We didn't lose "a" player, we lost two RBs and their replacement are hurt too. QB is the only spot where we couldn't afford to lose the starter. 

I was very, very worried about RB depth after Jovon left. Now we are seeing the fruit of that departure. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

How is the talent being improperly utilized exactly? Who is out of position or not getting on the field who should?

Well, just playing devils advocate here just for the sake of conversation, the only reason anyone knows Pettway is because we had to have warm bodies playing RB. Think about it, the SEC's leading rusher literally fell in their lap and had to play out of emergency. These guys obviously didn't know what he could do and he's been there a couple years. What else have they missed?

The use of the freshmen WR's is an obvious talking point as well. 

Gus isn't getting fired. He is a stubborn jack ass who has gotten scared of innovation...

He was a better offensive coach in 2009 than he is now.  He is easier to game plan for.  His teams have more talent than 2/3 of the opposition at a minimum.  He generally hires competent experienced coaches...Rhett was an exception.  

He may be a control freak but the midget in Ttown who barely noticed we just had an election is very successful as a control freak.

Heck, we can't afford to pay the buyout to fire Gus.  But Gus needs to be coached. He has a lot to learn...

I have seen very few people say fire Gus. But I do believe that Gus, with the current offensive coaching staff, has gone as far as he can. We need a true QB coach and OC To be hired in the offseason. Not someone who just agrees with Gus but someone who take the offense up a notch. Yes we need to recurit more impact players but as said easy said than done. If you do not use tight ends in your offense then it's hard to recurit one. Gus can't be held responsible for ROC or Jovon problems, he did not create their problems they did. It is just difficult to accept that beyond white we do not have a QB who can do a decent job. That QB may not be as good as white but can get the job done. At the end of the day we all love Auburn and are pulling for our players, we just want our players coached at Gus and his staff best abilities. 

I agree but it felt like a Gus run game. We seemed to take the same approach as we did against Clemson and A&M .   It felt like Rhett had no say, now I may be wrong in that obviously but that's what it felt like to me.  Our D played their buts off and they did a great job, Steele has really brought these guys along and was a great addition to the staff.  I don't think changing coaches is the answer but we have got to get plan that doesn't revolve around one guy at tailback.  We have plenty of capable backs but it felt like we gave up on them after they stopped us a few times.  The TD drive was great why did we run away from that after it happened?

I agree with Keeping Gus and as bad as it pains me I think we need to just keep the entire staff. Lets give Lashley a chance as well. If you watch the game many of Seans passes were balls that should have been caught. Even playing injured he got most of them to their hands. Sure I was hot yesterday, but after taking time to look and cooling. The plays that were called were fine, the execution by players that would normally execute was not there. Missing our top running back hurt. Trying to chase Bama at this point will only hurt us in the future. Just let them have their glory days and lets take a shot at this group. Give them another year or two, this team is young. I will say KS will have a lot to prove next year as he loses his top two from Defense. Get Sean repaired ASAP and get him back. Make the receivers practice with water balloons dipped in baby oil this off season. I will say after how this season started I was extremely happy with what they did there in the middle. WDE... Oh and BTW give a raise to Scout Fountain (Special Teams has played lights out since he has been there).

Gus' offense needs to be upgraded in the run and the pass. When your in a 2 minute drill you and 3 receivers go deep with a check down only 3 yards deep that is cause for concern.  This is a pitiful excuse for an offense and good defenses have figured out how to stop. Even vandy had success stopping it.  So to hear gus knows what he is doing is a little far fetched.  I like him as a person but his coaching abilities are really getting exposed.  The offesive playbook needs a major overhaul

40 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Bingo...I think we can go 8-4 and lose to GA and AL for a hell of a lot less than $4m.   We are officially lost in the football  wilderness and on our way to a repeat of the 70's.  I've now seen the reincarnation of Doug Barfield and the sad part is most on here are ok with that.  Good god folks, I think you all need an Edna Mode wakeup slap.  

Who is beating UGA and uat consistently lately? Who plays the schedules that AU plays?

Just now, jared52 said:

Who is beating UGA and uat consistently lately? Who plays the schedules that AU plays?

We had no business losing to that UGA team last or this year for that matter. UGA has been horrible both years and we lost to them. That is inexcusable. Secondly, that crap sounds like something Arkansas fans would say. But, but, but we play in the tough SEC west. No crap. We also reap the benefits in bringing top ten classes every year and getting the added respect which comes with that. It is not about just winning and losing. It is how you win and lose. I thought we were way too happy to escape Vandy last week. I thought we were way too comfortable going into the half with just a td score this week.  It is one thing to lose to a quality team when we are playing competent football. It is another thing to beat yourself.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

We had no business losing to that UGA team last or this year for that matter. UGA has been horrible both years and we lost to them. That is inexcusable. Secondly, that crap sounds like something Arkansas fans would say. But, but, but we play in the tough SEC west. No crap. We also reap the benefits in bringing top ten classes every year and getting the added respect which comes with that. It is not about just winning and losing. It is how you win and lose. I thought we were way too happy to escape Vandy last week. I thought we were way too comfortable going into the half with just a td score this week.  It is one thing to lose to a quality team when we are playing competent football. It is another thing to beat yourself.

I asked two questions and you answered neither of them. You instead tried to denigrate me by reading what you wanted to in my questions. In the future, if you don't want to answer my questions, please feel free to ignore me. I am simply looking for teams to compare AU to.

7 minutes ago, jared52 said:

I asked two questions and you answered neither of them. You instead tried to denigrate me by reading what you wanted to in my questions. In the future, if you don't want to answer my questions, please feel free to ignore me. I am simply looking for teams to compare AU to.

That is the problem. Who the hell cares what other teams are doing compared to AU. Who cares?! We are in the SEC West and that is not changing. BTW, UTENN has beaten UGA the last two years. UF has beaten UGA the Last 3 years. Freaking Vandy beat them this year. There go your comparisons. Asking who has consistently beaten UTA is an idiotic question as they are a dynasty, but realistically Ole miss has the last 2 out of 3 years and came close again this year.  Also about six teams play the same schedule that AU plays. They are in our division.

Gus has made some terrible mistakes on the recruiting trail and the developmental front that will ultimately have a 3 yr impact, specifically JJ, javon, roc. We will fill this s impact next yr as well. I believe Gus recruited back-ups to those guys instead of players expected to compete for their position and he overestimated his ability to coach up their back-up.  

58 minutes ago, japantiger said:

If you think this team is anything like the Barfield years you need to seriously check your history.  This is in no way, shape or form even remotely close to that.

Archived