Quarterback Coach

dabrasco

On 1/8/2017 at 4:20 AM, mom2kid said:

I'm so tired of venting and so tired of Gus.  Never been a fan, I was against his hire, and thought the way the team blew the halftime lead against FSU showed a real lack of coaching savvy playing safe to lose.  I don't think GM should be coaching at AU.  Regardless, what happened to all the rumors that RL would be gone and we would hire K Briles as OC and QB coach?  No way he wouldn't have accepted instead of going to FAU with Kiffen.  Only reason I conclude is that GM wasn't interested in bringing in and relinquishing OC responsibility to anyone.  He continues to be a narcissistic fool who wants full control and since no one wants to hire RL, his son accepts this crap.  No one can defend GM anymore.  He is not head coach material, he is not an offensive genius, and he is a terrible talent evaluator.

I couldn't read the rest after you criticized blowing a halftime lead. What coach hasn't blown a halftime lead? Do you remember the 2010 Iron Bowl? By your logic, Saban can't coach either.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about Sonny Dykes, as a QB coach? He just got fired from Cal. They owe him over $5.88 million for the buyout, he won't be hurting for money. He is a disciple of the Hal Mumme and Mike Leach air raid system. 

5 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I, too, am uninformed.  Nor am I an insider.  I come here to GET informed.  Here's what I've learned about the OC situation after getting informed...

Art's coming to AU. Art's not coming to AU.

Kendall's coming to AU.  Kendall's not coming to AU.

Art & Kendall are poison.  Art & Kendall are not poison; they were merely scapegoats.

50% of us want either of them.  50% of us don't want either of them.

...there.  I now feel informed?   :dunno:

Very well-rounded education.

Succinct, as well.

Many Thanks.

9 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

Who would you have hired? Execution and bad luck cost us that game. We missed wide open receivers, blew a fake punt and if FSU tackles Tre inside the 20, we probably score and run out the clock. It was sickening, but I don't blame it on coaching. Coaching is what got us there.

I do believe some fault lays on the coaching. Had Gus kept his foot on the gas in the 3rd quarter that could have been a very different ending.

5 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I couldn't read the rest after you criticized blowing a halftime lead. What coach hasn't blown a halftime lead? Do you remember the 2010 Iron Bowl? By your logic, Saban can't coach either.

Of course every coach has blown a halftime lead. However, how many times has Saban blown a halftime lead? How many times has Gus blown a halftime lead and either lost or had to have some miracle play to win? Big difference in where you are trying to go. 

1 minute ago, AU04ever said:

I do believe some fault lays on the coaching. Had Gus kept his foot on the gas in the 3rd quarter that could have been a very different ending.

What makes you think Gus took his foot off of the gas? We threw the ball, ran reverses, etc.. We only had the ball 3 times in the 3rd and went 3 and out only once(3rd and 5 incomplete pass to Grant) with at least 1 first down on the other 2 drives. We had a costly holding call at the FSU 36 that killed 1 scoring drive and took us out of field goal range.   

On 1/5/2017 at 2:50 PM, dabrasco said:

Question I have is when was the last time we had great QB development and who was the coach in charge of it? Is this person available to hire or come in as a consultant?

On 1/7/2017 at 9:47 AM, auburn4ever said:

IMO, Sullivan and Borges are the only coaches to coach our QB's up and get the best and have them really to play every Saturday.

Art Briles would be the strongest hire, but is probably radioactive. I know Pat Nix has always wanted to gain a foothold in the coaching ladder at Auburn. Sonny Dykes could teach us many things in the passing game, but his philosophy may be too far apart from those of Gus.

16 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

What was Rhett Lashlee's role going to be had we hired KB?

wde

His role for next season is still not set in stone as it is. Some shifting or movement in the O staff still may be done.

22 hours ago, mom2kid said:

If AU officially said no to a Briles being hired then just say it.  People with inside info have been saying for months that RL was going to be dismissed and K Briles was coming in.  

If Briles decided not to come and coach Stidham, that raises more red flags.

Per most accounts, as soon as it was announced that the NCAA was pinging Kendall for a recruiting offense (even though it was ridiculously minor), our compliance department nixed any talk of hiring him. As for hiring his dad... he's currently embroiled in at least one law suit with his former employer.  No one is going to touch him until all of the fires around him are put out. I would not be surprised to see him on staff as a consultant, come Fall, however, if he can get through all of the legal stuff.

Maybe I need to reread this but I still have not heard of any QB coach that really jumps out. Nothing makes me warm and fuzzy. Lets use the extra coach spot for Kevin Greene and give him OLB & Buck ends.

12 minutes ago, Joe706 said:

Maybe I need to reread this but I still have not heard of any QB coach that really jumps out. Nothing makes me warm and fuzzy. Lets use the extra coach spot for Kevin Greene and give him OLB & Buck ends.

It's possible the new coach will be on defense but it won't be Kevin Greene IMO. 1. Coach Steele coaches OLBs & Bucks. 2. Steele & KG did not get along when they were at Carolina. Not sure where they stand with each other now but if Gus let's Steele make the call if it's a new D coach like he did with Brown I just don't see it. 3. After losing CWMcG we need a recruiter. I'm not saying KG can't recruit but he has never done it since he has never coached at the college level. It would take nealy 2 years for him to have an impact on the recruiting trail.

It wasn't that long ago that rumors was going around that Stidham and either Kendal Briles or his dad Art would really light things up on the Auburn football team next year. Surely Gus not blind nad he's stick with Lashlee for the 5th year on the Plains. Heaven helps us if he does.

34 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

It wasn't that long ago that rumors was going around that Stidham and either Kendal Briles or his dad Art would really light things up on the Auburn football team next year. Surely Gus not blind nad he's stick with Lashlee for the 5th year on the Plains. Heaven helps us if he does.

Please, for the love of God, read the forum every once in a while.

Guest WarEagleSteve
On 1/7/2017 at 8:42 AM, ellitor said:

Until we get more consistent QB play threads like this should be expected.

I don't disagree with you but I think "consistent QB play" and "predictable playcalling" are currently two halves of the chicken and egg situation that is our terrible passing game, i.e. do we have terrible QB play because the playcalling is bad or does our playcalling suck because the QBs aren't executing? I'm inclined to think it's the former. 

54 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I don't disagree with you but I think "consistent QB play" and "predictable playcalling" are currently two halves of the chicken and egg situation that is our terrible passing game, i.e. do we have terrible QB play because the playcalling is bad or does our playcalling suck because the QBs aren't executing? I'm inclined to think it's the former. 

Better QB play will make the play calls look better alone. Plus having a Stidham, and a pass catching TE now, will open the playbook on the plays the coaches feel they can call.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Better QB play will make the play calls look better alone. Plus having a Stidham, and a pass catching TE now, will open the playbook on the plays the coaches feel they can call.

We really need to sign a HS TE this year that can redshirt.  Hopefully we use Canella a lot and it opens the door to TE talent next year.

1 hour ago, AuGrad2004 said:

So as far as QB coach.

I'm hearing Chip Lindsey.  There's a Gus connection so sounds logical to me.  Thoughts?

Considering he's a Power-5 OC and has been receiving head coaching offers, I kind of doubt he'd take a QB coach position.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, AlaskanFAN said:

What about Sonny Dykes, as a QB coach? He just got fired from Cal. They owe him over $5.88 million for the buyout, he won't be hurting for money. He is a disciple of the Hal Mumme and Mike Leach air raid system. 

I think this would be a good choice, especially after seeing Clemson throw It around and control Bama. If we are going to compete against our rivals, we gotta open up the airways more. 

6 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I think this would be a good choice, especially after seeing Clemson throw It around and control Bama. If we are going to compete against our rivals, we gotta open up the airways more. 

I'm honestly not sure a QB coach would help in this regard. That's more in the realm of a new OC.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm honestly not sure a QB coach would help in this regard. That's more in the realm of a new OC.

It could if Gus is opened to tweaking his offensive philosophy a little bit.  It would bring in a different point of view if that point of view can see the light of day.  It all revolves around Gus, as it should.  Only time will tell.

Archived