2018 5* QB Justin Fields

ellitor

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Well is there a CB of any relevance that is aligned with the 'good guys'?

Keith.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Well is there a CB of any relevance that is aligned with the 'good guys'?

I believe KN CB'd him to us.

New article on Fields below... Not sure how accurate his information is but he seems to indicate that Fields will wait until after the summer to decide. We just need to hold up our end of the bargain and actually play well on the field. I think we will!  

Fields praises Auburn staff for coaching style, fit

Justin Fields has been recruiting topic No. 1 since he de-committed from Penn State.

In that time, he’s visited at least five programs — Georgia, Auburn, Florida, Florida State and Alabama. Rumors have flown all over the place, but SEC Country went straight to the source at The Opening in Oregon to see how Fields perceives his own recruitment.

Per his conversation with SEC Country’s Chris Kirschner, the rumors all over the Internet appear to be much clearer than Fields’ own outlook.

“I have no idea. I wish I had a leader. I have to be honest. But I don’t have any idea,” Fields said. “(I will) probably not (decide in the summer) because I have no idea. I wish I knew where I wanted to go.”

RELATED: Alabama back in the picture for Justin Fields after campus visit

Most believe Georgia, Auburn, Florida and Florida State are the four programs to watch closely, though Fields informed SEC Country that a recent visit to Alabama has the Crimson Tide firmly in the picture now, as well.

Going forward, the game for each program will be finding out what advantages that program has over the others involved.

CSC_0160_zfumle.jpg
Auburn QB target Justin Fields (Chris Kirschner/SEC Country)

In Auburn’s case, it might be Fields’ perception of the close-knit environment. He was recruited by offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey when Lindsey was still at Arizona State. Fields said that prior relationship doesn’t necessarily give Auburn an extra edge, but his relationship with Lindsey and other coaches on staff might.

“Coach Chip is a big family guy, and I love the way he coaches,” Fields said. “I just love how Auburn is really family oriented. I feel like I fit in good with them with what coach (Gus) Malzahn has done in the past with quarterbacks like me.”

When Fields says, “quarterbacks like me,” the immediate reaction by Auburn fans is Cam Newton.

Newton’s recruitment was the last time Auburn courted a 6-foot-5 dual-threat quarterback with a rocket arm and running ability that can alter a game. Conveniently for the Tigers, Newton has served as a mentor for Fields during much of the recruiting process since Fields plays quarterback for Newton’s 7-on-7 team.

Fields doesn’t want to overplay Auburn’s chance just because of his mentor, but Newton’s relationship with the Tigers’ program will only assist when decision time arrives.

“I’m very close to Cam. We used to communicate every week, but since 7-on-7 is over, we kind of stopped a little bit. But, he’s talked to me about recruiting,” Fields said. “He doesn’t really lean toward Auburn. Of course you know he went there. He doesn’t lean toward any school. He wants me to make the best decision for me and my family.”

With Fields saying he has “no idea” where he wants to go, it’s possible this recruitment stretches past the summer. He hasn’t set an official timeline, but said he will “probably” take his five official visits at the beginning of his senior season to help him get the situation out of the way as soon as possible.

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Stay on Fields peeps. If you want to talk ladies take it to the woodshed or another relevant forum.

I know a few of those F.S.U girls I would like to take to the woodshed (sorry E, I couldn't resist).

38 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

It seems the longer this goes, the better our chances will be. JMHO :dunno:

Funny, I was thinking the opposite.

Really hoping his relationship with Chip and fondness of his coaching, family vibe, and this season's performance is enough. Hard to believe we would get a QB like Stidham but we got him... Let's do it one more time. 

I know that 247 sports had new article (VIP) Of him talking about his top schools anyone know what he said 

1 hour ago, Jaxr29 said:

I know that 247 sports had new article (VIP) Of him talking about his top schools anyone know what he said 

Can't be summarized on this site unless Keith makes it free or discusses it on a facebook chat in effect making it free.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Hard to believe we would get a QB like Stidham but we got him... Let's do it one more time. 

I don't disagree a lot, but I can easily see how we can attract top talent.  I can make a couple of your points for you and they are well documented I am sure.  Auburn is on the uptick and offensively, you would have to be foolish to overlook the plethora of talent we have to attract a top flight QB.

we will "do it one more time" this year.  Then again in 2019

HECK!   In 2020, they will start to compare Gus to Calipari I imagine with the 'two and dones'.   

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

HECK!   In 2020, they will start to compare Gus to Calipari I imagine with the 'two and dones'.   

Chip may not be around then to keep making Gus look good if he develops our QBs good the next few years.

43 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Chip may not be around then to keep making Gus look good if he develops our QBs good the next few of years.

Bite your tongue man. Let's get a good qb developer and keep him for once.

31 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Bite your tongue man. Let's get a good qb developer and keep him for once.

Good QB developers don't stay at a job very long. If you can find them they are in very high demand as HCs.

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Image result for todd bridgesIs it just me?

Define "me." The how of me and why of just you could be considered similar, if not the same, correct?  If you want to know why it's just you, the question of why we're doing it should be interrelated.  Perhaps what we're doing should also be investigated.  Perhaps we are all just the origin of thought, and the acts that follow are just jet trails of the original thought.  Other thoughts just seem to follow their slip stream, don't they? Maybe we are all just motes of dust that trail thought.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Good QB developers don't stay at a job very long. If you can find them they are in very high demand as HCs.

I concur, bite your tongue.  However, since you opened Pandora's box....

Thoughts on who the next "Chip" type guy could be?  

My perfect profile is someone who knows Auburn and has great credibility.   I love how Chip built his resume.  

Makes me wonder about Jason Campbell and is he coaching?  Pat Nix obviously.  Tebow would be great in front of families - don't laugh, he has cred.  Lindsey can't throw a perfect ball either but he can coach.  Got to think big.  Maybe these guys would be a nice QB coach...

Or hire the OC from CO School of Mines to be an assistant or analyst. http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/d2/current/team/25 

I know every HC has a list...just need to alw develop those lists.

16 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I concur, bite your tongue.  However, since you opened Pandora's box....

I didn't open a box. Just told you what happens when a QB is a good QB developer. Let's stay on Fields folks.

If Fields chooses the good guys does anyone think Gatewood might back off his commitment? 

Then you have Nix who looks like he might be really good. 

I see it like this.........

If stidham is as good as we think, he goes pro after one year.  If he is just good, he comes back.

That means Fields will either redshirt, or have a chance to start depending on stidham leaving

If nix is as good as we think, he would then redshirt, and then start two years and go pro.

Gatewood would compete/push the others each year, and play any number of positions if he isn't QB1 option.

We will have a capable backup in Malik for 4 years, and one of the others each year for the next 5-6 years.

If we get those 3 commitments, we are set for 6 years and the skill positions recruitment will only skyrocket and other QB's will follow.

Alot of schools would love to be in the "position" to have that scenario.

And.....then I woke up from my dream.

7 minutes ago, BhamCAT said:

If stidham is as good as we think, he goes pro after one year.  If he is just good, he comes back.

That means Fields will either redshirt, or have a chance to start depending on stidham leaving

If nix is as good as we think, he would then redshirt, and then start two years and go pro.

Gatewood would compete/push the others each year, and play any number of positions if he isn't QB1 option.

We will have a capable backup in Malik for 4 years, and one of the others each year for the next 5-6 years.

If we get those 3 commitments, we are set for 6 years and the skill positions recruitment will only skyrocket and other QB's will follow.

Nice prediction - but reality rarely works out so perfectly. We have seen this story many times before.  Expect many of these dominoes not to fall like we think they will whether it is because a player doesn't perform like we think he will, maybe that player transfers or maybe we don't sign him. But I do like your hypothetical.

7 minutes ago, BhamCAT said:

You are definitely dreaming. No way Stidham leaves after one year. 

Archived