scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, Knowing the hierarchy of the triple option(1.dive 2. QB keep 3. Pitch), I would run it out if our base 4-3 D, but would walk down one of the safeties to give a 4-4-3 look.  My Tackles would align in a 2i or 3 depending on strength and squeeze to take the dive. The ILB would play dive. The DE would align in 5s and crash to take the QB.  I would sink the OLB and walked down safety to 3x3 and task them with the QB as well.  We would man up the corners and have a single high MOF safety responsible for pitch. That would give a balanced look with two for dive(DT and ILB), two for QB(DE and OLB/S), and 1 for pitch(middle safety) on both sides.  We would declare strength to the 3 man surface in the MOF and towards field when on the hash.

I would do totally opposite

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, Knowing the hierarchy of the triple option(1.dive 2. QB keep 3. Pitch), I would run it out if our base 4-3 D, but would walk down one of the safeties to give a 4-4-3 look.  My Tackles would align in a 2i or 3 depending on strength and squeeze to take the dive. The ILB would play dive. The DE would align in 5s and crash to take the QB.  I would sink the OLB and walked down safety to 3x3 and task them with the QB as well.  We would man up the corners and have a single high MOF safety responsible for pitch. That would give a balanced look with two for dive(DT and ILB), two for QB(DE and OLB/S), and 1 for pitch(middle safety) on both sides.  We would declare strength to the 3 man surface in the MOF and towards field when on the hash.

I think I know football then I hear a real FOOTBALL COACH explain what to do and I realize I am not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for this explanation. Sorry Golf for saying nice things about Bird. LOL

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think I know football then I hear a real FOOTBALL COACH explain what to do and I realize I am not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for this explanation. Sorry Golf for saying nice things about Bird. LOL

I figured bird was pulling our leg.....I'm more for using the 10-1 defense....and put everyone on the ground that does not have a 60 or 70 on his jersey. :)

The important thing is the triple option will be as new to GSUs offensive players as it is to AU's defensive players. GSU has not run the triple option since 2013. Only the true freshmen players have been recruited for the system. The existing players were recruited into a multiple WR spread-option team. GSU also lost its top RB. They will be in a complete rebuilding year on offense.

It will be GSU's first game as well as ours.

The triple option itself is just one play in GSU's new playbook. Georgia Tech runs a wide variety of plays, and not just the triple-option over and over and over. Sometimes it is the other plays which can burn you. The good thing is there is plenty of film from Georgia Tech, Navy, and Army out there.

With the triple option, as with any option play, the defense gets to choose who gets the ball. If a defense can come up with a scheme to force the play to a particular runner, and prevent that runner from getting yardage, it is defended.

Of course, that is where constraint plays come in, and GA Tech's playbook has a lot of those.

I found this. I had forgotten Oregon ran the triple option out of its spread formation against us a fair amount in the 2010 BCS game.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I gotta say that I hate having to play a team that runs the triple option if that team runs it well.  I know that the triple option is out of favor, but for teams with lesser talent that style of offense can be a great equalizer.  Assignment football and all that, but man, all that running side to side and trying to figure out where the ball is can wear on even a good defense.

Dunno if anyone else recalls old games like bammer vs. Army in the 1988 Sun Bowl or our AU Tigers vs. Army in the 1996 Independence Bowl, but based on sheer talent differential neither of those games should have been close.  Were they close? You're dang tootin' they were.  In '88, bammer escaped 29-28 after scoring 9 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. In 1996, our AU Tigers were seemingly well in control up until the 4th quarter, leading 32-7 after 3.  Army's wishbone attack reeled off 22 points in the 4th and at the end I was sweating the outcome. Our AU Tigers won 32-29.

But Army's triple option did nothing against our defense. They came back when their QB who couldnt pass started completing throws all over against our D. We had relaxed & quite honestly, didnt expect them to execute throwing the ball like they did. One of those times where we made a 1 star qb look like a heisman contender.

I grew up in a Georgia Southern family and have followed them my entire life. We are fortunate to have them scheduled when we do. They are losing two darn good quarterbacks that would've made the game competitive. This is also their return to the TO after their new coach thought it would be good to shift away from it. So long story short, it'll be a freshman quarterbacks first college game ever running a playbook that he's never ran before against a good defense. We will win by 24+

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to the match-up in September! AuburnEagle79 is right in that there is a whole lot of "new" for us this upcoming season, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you spend any time looking us up you can practically ignore anything from last season because what we tried to do on offense was awful. The Co-OC's our HC hired had no idea how to run an option offense and it showed. We've replaced almost all of our offensive staff from last season with guys we all think are competent and most come from the Paul Johnson coaching tree.

With my blue tinted glasses off: I do not expect to win, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the adjustment to our "new" offense isn't going to be that painful. If that's the case don't be surprised if a few of you are sweating (not because it's hot - thank you 6:30 pm kickoff) but because the score is a lot closer at half-time than many of your fans were anticipating. We've only really had two games against P5 opponents since we moved up to FBS in 2014 that we just got stomped - WVU in 2015 and Navy in 2014. Both of those have specific circumstances that led to those getting out of hand that I don't think will play a factor in our game. Like I said - I don't expect to win, but that 35 point spread may be a bit much. I think we've only lost by that many points 2 or 3 times since we restarted football in the 80s.

With my blue tinted glasses on: Our offense fires on all cylinders from the get-go and the largest upset since App beat Michigan happens on September 2, 2017. 

Joking aside - I'm looking forward to the game. Had I chosen to go out-of-state for school Auburn was my first choice. 

PS - There are usually GS fans coming out of the woodwork to talk trash on our opponents boards, but with you guys being a top 15 team and us coming off our worst season in a decade I think it's going to be much quieter than usual. Most in our fanbase are playing "wait and see" before we ramp up the bravado again. 

5 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Looking forward to the match-up in September! AuburnEagle79 is right in that there is a whole lot of "new" for us this upcoming season, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. If you spend any time looking us up you can practically ignore anything from last season because what we tried to do on offense was awful. The Co-OC's our HC hired had no idea how to run an option offense and it showed. We've replaced almost all of our offensive staff from last season with guys we all think are competent and most come from the Paul Johnson coaching tree.

With my blue tinted glasses off: I do not expect to win, but I'm cautiously optimistic that the adjustment to our "new" offense isn't going to be that painful. If that's the case don't be surprised if a few of you are sweating (not because it's hot - thank you 6:30 pm kickoff) but because the score is a lot closer at half-time than many of your fans were anticipating. We've only really had two games against P5 opponents since we moved up to FBS in 2014 that we just got stomped - WVU in 2015 and Navy in 2014. Both of those have specific circumstances that led to those getting out of hand that I don't think will play a factor in our game. Like I said - I don't expect to win, but that 35 point spread may be a bit much. I think we've only lost by that many points 2 or 3 times since we restarted football in the 80s.

With my blue tinted glasses on: Our offense fires on all cylinders from the get-go and the largest upset since App beat Michigan happens on September 2, 2017. 

Joking aside - I'm looking forward to the game. Had I chosen to go out-of-state for school Auburn was my first choice. 

PS - There are usually GS fans coming out of the woodwork to talk trash on our opponents boards, but with you guys being a top 15 team and us coming off our worst season in a decade I think it's going to be much quieter than usual. Most in our fanbase are playing "wait and see" before we ramp up the bravado again. 

Welcome, TrueBlue.

Again Welcome @truebluealum

I like your optimism but if AU tackles well and plays the cut blocking as I expect them to on the front then I expect AU could name the score.  And I do expect us to tackle well and be very prepared for cut block techniques.  Remember RG had to go up against GT while at Uga when he was on their staff.   

14 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Again Welcome @truebluealum

I like your optimism but if AU tackles well and plays the cut blocking as I expect them to on the front then I expect AU could name the score.  And I do expect us to tackle well and be very prepared for cut block techniques.  Remember RG had to go up against GT while at Uga when he was on their staff.   

If we can't name the score against a rebuilding GA Southern then we are in trouble.  Gus needs style points in every game this season.

wde

51 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

If we can't name the score against a rebuilding GA Southern then we are in trouble.  Gus needs style points in every game this season.

wde

We will but trying to be a little hospitable to a friendly guest.  

AU 99 GSU (negative) -2

Maybe that'll impress enough 

• 2 weeks later...

Saw you guys finally named a QB (not that anybody was really questioning it). Any news on your OL yet? I know you're rotating players a lot trying to figure it out. 

Edit: Before anyone jumps the gun. I'm not implying you're not talented at OL I just know it's a puzzle right now. 

27 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Saw you guys finally named a QB (not that anybody was really questioning it). Any news on your OL yet? I know you're rotating players a lot trying to figure it out. 

Edit: Before anyone jumps the gun. I'm not implying you're not talented at OL I just know it's a puzzle right now. 

We're so deep at OL that we haven't decided which ones are best yet ;). Not actually kidding. OL and DL are probably the deepest positions on the team this year. I suppose you could make a case for LBs and WRs as well even though the receivers might be a little inexperienced. Tons of potential there. 

Its unforunate (for you guys) that you couldn't of played us last year instead of this one. Would've been a much tougher game imo. 

24 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

I believe this is what It'll be.

LT: Tega

LG: Horton

C: Golson

RG: Smith

RT: James

On 7/17/2017 at 11:23 AM, corchjay said:

For me I do offense but know most of the principles of a true option game...

The biggest things you worry about first is time to prepare for such a different attack.  Check we have that with it being the first game.

Then you worry about cut blocks on your defensive lineman's legs.  One wrong check at the line of scrimmage and you could easily have 2 OL blocking low on a DT.

Then you have to worry if they are successful moving the ball on you and you only getting about 6-7 possessions in a game.  If thats the case you better be putting points up. 

Luckily knowing how to stop the triple option has been figured out many moons ago and we should be more talented at every position on the field.  With that said we could probably give up 300 yards rushing and still have a great day defensively.  

Everyone here needs to be concerned with this. Would be devastating to lose a DL for the year because of a chop block. 

Nice video from the Oregon game....and the much maligned Ted Roof and the defense seemed to deal with that unexpected wrinkle pretty well....primarily because we had better defensive athletes who did not over-commit.   

Ga Southern has given some big schools problems in past years....usually for maybe the first half until the talent depth becomes a factor.     Expecting AU to pretty much do what ever it wants on the scoreboard and hope that a lot of guys get some time on the field.  

But this is not an SEC game and I'm doubting that the team and coaches will be "up" for Ga Southern like they will the following week for Clemson.    JMO but we see maybe 30% of our offensive playbook.....and why do much more if it's not needed ?

So immediately my biggest concern is injuries. Aside from chop blocks, non-contact injuries also scare me when playing a TO team because of the tendency to run outside and the split decision required from DL and LBs. However, I think it is a great opportunity to work on more instinctive run defense and team defense like you all said. I much prefer this than opening with Clemson like last year. I just really think it's great practice for our defense to work on athletic and instinct-driven plays that will inevitably be asked of them while trying to corral Guice, Hurts, Chubb, etc.

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Everyone here needs to be concerned with this. Would be devastating to lose a DL for the year because of a chop block. 

Not really. As I've explained already chop blocking is illegal and we hopefully shouldn't get called for it. Cut blocking IS legal but most of the cut blocking is going to happen to your WR's and LB's out in open space and not your DL. When cut blocking happens out in open space injuries are just as infrequent as any other type of block.  

42 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Not really. As I've explained already chop blocking is illegal and we hopefully shouldn't get called for it. Cut blocking IS legal but most of the cut blocking is going to happen to your WR's and LB's out in open space and not your DL. When cut blocking happens out in open space injuries are just as infrequent as any other type of block.  

By WRs, I assume you mean DBs (being cut-blocked by GSU WRs).

Archived