Hugh Freeze Resigns

GwillMac6

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Of course Alabama's enrollment increase is correlated to the success of the football program. I don't think that an admissions officer would be offended by that statement.

The ones I know would be livid that someone was giving football credit for their hard work.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... and how hard is Stanford's schedule? Since people want to forget that Gus lead the greatest turn around in college football history, let's forget 2013 and start with 2014. If Gus wanted to tie Harbaugh's record at Stanford from 2014-2017, he'd have to go 6-7 this year. And while Harbaugh did that facing the PAC-10 when the main powers were struggling, Gus did it against the SEC while they were at the top of their game. In 2010, the year that Stanford finally hit 12-1, only one other team in the PAC-10 had less than 5 losses. 

Gus led the greatest turn around ever with a team filled with two TOP TEN RECRUITING CLASSES. People who he recruited. AU should have never ever ever been in the position that they were in 2012. In fact, we shouldn't be in the position we are in now. IMO, I can't see CGM ever doing what JH did at Stanford. I don't care how easy Stanford schedule was. To take an academic program who never gets top 25 classes and to leave them in a much better position than you got them in a power 5 conference is excellent work. It would be like Northwestern being the premier team in the BIG TEN. That is hard to do. If you cannot appreciate that and salute an HC for doing something like that, you do NOT know sports. Not to mention JH has won at every LEVEL, this is including the pros. Do not compare CGM to JH. That is just flat out stupid. I am sorry. You can't compare Stanford to AU. Again, IMO, I can't ever see CGM going against a team the caliber of USC in 2007 and winning with the talent of Stanford.

Let's take a poll right now and see who would people rather have as a coach. JH or CGM? 

And it is not even a slight at Gus. He is a good coach, but he is not at JH level nor should he get JH money.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The ones I know would be livid that someone was giving football credit for their hard work.

Do you think they'd share credit with improved facilities, increased faculty, etc.?

Harbaugh was a rockstar NFL Head Coach something Spurrier, Lou Holtz,  Saban among other good/great college coaches failed at who went 44-19 and turned around a total dormant franchise in the 49ers who were awful before he arrived. What exactly are we arguing here? The man went to 3 straight NFC title games with 1 Super Bowl appearance squeezed in there. The Qbs he took there were Alex Smith and Kaep. Alex Smith was considered a bust before Harbaugh got ahold of him and LOL look at Kaep after Harbaugh left. He became a truly awful QB. Clearly he does not need great qb play to be successful. This is one of the worst arguments I have seen in here! lol good LAWWWWWWWWWWWWD. Forgive them Father they know not what they are doing arguing against Harbaugh. Look at the 49ers after he left they are the worst team in the league besides the freaking cleveland browns. Dude is a flat out great coach at any level.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

Let's take a poll right now and see who would people rather have as a coach. JH or CGM?

Hey, there's an idea, in another thread!

Just now, McLoofus said:

Do you think they'd share credit with improved facilities, increased faculty, etc.?

Well... the ones I know almost never get that kind of thing, so I think they would be ecstatic to have it. At the same time, those things are of direct benefit to every student. Having a good football team only benefits the students who care about football and think it's a benefit to be able to watch it live for the handful of home games they have every year. As the majority of bama fans prove, you don't have to set foot in Tuscaloosa to wear Crimson and swear allegiance to The Bear. 

Another thing you have to keep in mind that a lot of college administration has a tolerate/hate relationship with athletics, because athletics gets the bulk of the money while other departments struggle to get by. To then say that, with no conscious effort, athletics and not their hard work is what made them successful... that wouldn't go over well.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I wouldn't dare give the football program credit for their hard work. But, I can't imagine that your friends/acquaintances wouldn't acknowledge what a significant effect the football team's success has on admissions/applications. The job of admissions offices is to take advantage of the increased coverage and exposure, and parlay it into strengthening the University's academic message nationwide. I don't think that point is even up for debate. Auburn experienced something like twice the number of applications for admission following the 2010 season.

Archived