Hugh Freeze Resigns

GwillMac6

18 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is all over the place . Houston Nutt will became an enemy of Ole Miss when the administration including Hugh tried to throw him under the bus. Ole Miss knew what they were doing it and ole Hugh made a huge mistake to the benefit of Houston Nutt's defense team. They were indeed the one who really put the gasoline to the flame . Hugh Freeze is a hypocrite , he got caught up and the ole miss brand is to blame for where they are now . No amount of money would've stopped Nutt from going after them after they were seeking to go after his character .

Agreed. The way I've heard it from a few places, Nutt was looking for a public apology more than money. 

It is debatable exactly how serious Ole Miss' infractions are. I personally think it looks bad, but others have correctly pointed out that "it's an ongoing investigation". And I recently read some really, really crazy stuff about how the NCAA is going about its investigation. (Look up how they investigated Donte Moncrief driving his brother's car. If what I read is true, then it's sickening to the point of making me question any support of the NCAA whatsoever.) That all said, there are problems- both in the AD and in Freeze's personal life- and nobody owns those problems but them. Every football factory probably is doing the $100 handshake, but logic dictates that Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze were either doing it to a greater degree, a less intelligent degree, and/or a more brazen degree. 

I sympathize with a lot of people in Oxford, but not many of them are C-levels in the Ole Miss AD. 

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DAG said:

This is all over the place . Houston Nutt will became an enemy of Ole Miss when the administration including Hugh tried to throw him under the bus. Ole Miss knew what they were doing it and ole Hugh made a huge mistake to the benefit of Houston Nutt's defense team. They were indeed the one who really put the gasoline to the flame . Hugh Freeze is a hypocrite , he got caught up and the ole miss brand is to blame for where they are now . No amount of money would've stopped Nutt from going after them after they were seeking to go after his character .

I think all this does is discourage non traditional powers like ole miss from pushing the envelope in the grey area of recruiting more since when push comes to shove they are the ones who will be the sacrificial lambs. Not the big boys who get a slap on the wrist. This will only encourage the blue bloods and other usual suspects (AU falls in this group) to being even more aggressive in recruiting and the grey area be side they will feel more invincible.

32 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. The way I've heard it from a few places, Nutt was looking for a public apology more than money. 

It is debatable exactly how serious Ole Miss' infractions are. I personally think it looks bad, but others have correctly pointed out that "it's an ongoing investigation". And I recently read some really, really crazy stuff about how the NCAA is going about its investigation. (Look up how they investigated Donte Moncrief driving his brother's car. If what I read is true, then it's sickening to the point of making me question any support of the NCAA whatsoever.) That all said, there are problems- both in the AD and in Freeze's personal life- and nobody owns those problems but them. Every football factory probably is doing the $100 handshake, but logic dictates that Ole Miss and Hugh Freeze were either doing it to a greater degree, a less intelligent degree, and/or a more brazen degree. 

I sympathize with a lot of people in Oxford, but not many of them are C-levels in the Ole Miss AD. 

I think Bells started ringing with the influx of highly ranked recruiting classes they started receiving . Like top 5 classes. I am not saying Freeze directly took part in it but I have a hard time believing he knew nothing of it. If anything , he probably just took a blind eye to it. Either way , he was the HC and it happened under his watch.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think all this does is discourage non traditional powers like ole miss from pushing the envelope in the grey area of recruiting more since when push comes to shove they are the ones who will be the sacrificial lambs. Not the big boys who get a slap on the wrist. This will only encourage the blue bloods and other usual suspects (such falls in this group) to being even more aggressive in recruiting and the grey area be side they will feel more invincible.

I don't think so at all. People are going to push the grey area no matter what. IMO, I think ole miss went over and beyond which you can't do as a non-traditional powerhouse . Every school pushes the limit . Every school but once a school like OleMIss starts garnering recruiting classes like they did, something was going on. It's the SMU effect all over. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't think so at all. People are going to push the grey area no matter what. IMO, I think ole miss went over and beyond which you can't do as a non-traditional powerhouse . Every school pushes the limit . Every school but once a school like OleMIss starts garnering recruiting classes like they did, something was going on. It's the SMU effect all over. 

I think we are agreeing you just don't know it yet! Unlike the NFL college fball is set up for the same several teams to be good each year. It is not built to be equipped to handle a team like ole miss with very little tradition being good. Once they start recruiting really well where it upsets the big boys a NCAA investigation is right around the corner. But let's be real here for a second if you may? How the heck else is a school like ole miss supposed to make that leap without aggressively outlandish cheating? They can't is my opinion!!! I respect them for trying even if them being a lay up game is more beneficial to us.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I think we are agreeing you just don't know it yet! Unlike the NFL college fball is set up for the same several teams to be good each year. It is not built to be equipped to handle a team like ole miss with very little tradition being good. Once they start recruiting really well where it upsets the big boys a NCAA investigation is right around the corner. But let's be real here for a second if you may? How the heck else is a school like ole miss supposed to make that leap without aggressively outlandish cheating? They can't is my opinion!!! I respect them for trying even if them being a lay up game is more beneficial to us.

They would have to find their niche . Schools like Ole Miss don't have the tradition or power brokers to be a dynasty . They very well can find ways to compete though . Unfortunately , this is not just unique to college football . This is life in general . I do think we agree to an extent . My only issue is it seems like there is some conspiracy theory . I just don't agree with the concept of it. It seems as if ppl are trying to make a case that since Ole Miss beat Bama twice the NCAA was out to get them . Ole miss beating Bama doesn't hurt the NCAA. If anything they like it because it brings some parity . Parity is good at every organizational level . This is why Adam Silver expressed concern about the concept of super duper teams in the NBA. The problem with ole miss was they were too freaking loud with it . When you have a 1st round draft pick saying they got paid on draft day , that doesn't bode well. Ole miss couldn't control what they were doing and it hurt ole miss . 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Also, word gets around when coaches sense (or realize) that a player or his family is on the make.....and soon as the guy makes a decision, other coaches are likely to advise the NCAA to take a look.       Think back to Cam.....and the role that Mullens and Urban played.  In the case of OM..... a school suddenly over-achieving on the recruiting front was bound to draw scrutiny.  Problem is.....Freeze and his staff were just amateurs as far as covering their tracks was concerned.

On 7/26/2017 at 9:44 AM, lionheartkc said:

At this point, a better than expected season would be anything above 6 and 6. That being said, I have no doubt Luke will get the nod as no one else will want to take over what is the biggest dumpster fire in the SEC until the flames are completely extinguished. 

I think they'll be able to put up points. But their defense is going to suck. I think they can get to 6 wins. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Also, word gets around when coaches sense (or realize) that a player or his family is on the make.....and soon as the guy makes a decision, other coaches are likely to advise the NCAA to take a look.       Think back to Cam.....and the role that Mullens and Urban played.  In the case of OM..... a school suddenly over-achieving on the recruiting front was bound to draw scrutiny.  Problem is.....Freeze and his staff were just amateurs as far as covering their tracks was concerned.

right on as usual 64! they do not have a long and storied history dating back decades of being pro's at this covering up their tracks that a certain school west of AU in the state has mastered......... If you cheat ESPECIALLY if you are a school like ole miss where it will draw more eyes since they never recruit that well you dang sure better be good at burying the bodies.

29 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

I think they'll be able to put up points. But their defense is going to suck. I think they can get to 6 wins. 

that offense still scares the crap out of me! shea is the real deal and those WRs are MASSIVE like they always have been under hugh freeze! It will be a way tougher game then people think. They will beat a couple they are not supposed to. I hope 1 of them is not us.....

2 hours ago, DAG said:

They would have to find their niche . Schools like Ole Miss don't have the tradition or power brokers to be a dynasty . They very well can find ways to compete though . Unfortunately , this is not just unique to college football . This is life in general . I do think we agree to an extent . My only issue is it seems like there is some conspiracy theory . I just don't agree with the concept of it. It seems as if ppl are trying to make a case that since Ole Miss beat Bama twice the NCAA was out to get them . Ole miss beating Bama doesn't hurt the NCAA. If anything they like it because it brings some parity . Parity is good at every organizational level . This is why Adam Silver expressed concern about the concept of super duper teams in the NBA. The problem with ole miss was they were too freaking loud with it . When you have a 1st round draft pick saying they got paid on draft day , that doesn't bode well. Ole miss couldn't control what they were doing and it hurt ole miss . 

In pro sports especially the NFL it is all about the here and now and who is good now. Sans the cowboys if you suck you do not get media attention no matter how storied your tradition is. In college all the blue bloods will dominate the news cycle and day even if they have been bad for years or mediocre see notre dame and Michigan before harbaugh and texas since colt mccoy. The NFL any team can get good overnight if they find that franchise QB. Raiders go from having a losing season every season since 2002 then they found Derek Carr and they will be perennial super bowl contenders now. Getting good overnight in college when you are a school like ole miss raises a lot of eyebrows. It will just never work the big boys get upset losing these star recruits to OLE MISS of all schools that they are not used to losing and the NCAA is bound to find something if they look hard enough. I don't think it is a conspiracy per say but It seems like it is always how it goes down when a team like ole miss gets good real fast. The NCAA puts them in their place and lets them know where they stand in the grand scheme of things. Perception is even among supposed un biased impartial media members that ole miss should not be doing this. They should not be recruiting this well and SOMETHING must be up. Yes something was up but what if the next time this happens to another school like ole miss they are innocent or at least clean enough but the media and fans will drag that non traditional school through the mud and perception becomes reality and there will always be a cloud over them. What if this happened with NeBraska? It took years for Tom Osbourne to build Nebraska to be taken seriously on a national level. If that happened in todays environment he probaly would of never been able to build them up from a decent program in to a powerhouse and team of the 90's.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I was just going to give you a like, but I liked this part the most, so I had to single it out.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

No intent to (even though I've probably shown a history of willingness to) sound stupid, but

How in the blue-eyed world does evidence of moral turpitude on the part of Coach Freeze even advance a defamation (as I understand it) case for Coach Nutt? 

Just a piece accidentally sifted out?

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I was just going to give you a like, but I liked this part the most, so I had to single it out.

In all our back and forth, I realize that I might've conveyed the opinion that the admins didn't share blame, which is not accurate. With you there. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

My only issue is it seems like there is some conspiracy theory . I just don't agree with the concept of it. It seems as if ppl are trying to make a case that since Ole Miss beat Bama twice the NCAA was out to get them .

I think you've misread what people are saying about them.  Since Ole Miss beat bama twice, the REC is out to get them so every single little misstep Ole Miss made was being watched like a hawk and reported to the NCAA (at one point, back when Fulmer was still around, I read that it was rare for the NCAA to go a day without getting a call from a bama fan complaining about a rival cheating). So there was no conspiracy with the NCAA, but because they pissed off the bama machine, it made it so that they couldn't fly under the radar with the things that they were doing wrong.

That's the exact same reason that it's imperative that Auburn function as squeaky clean as possible. As bama's biggest rival, there are people who worship the crimson and white who go out of their way to try to find things to report on us, and if they find one that's true, we're toast.

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

No intent to (even though I've probably shown a history of willingness to) sound stupid, but

How in the blue-eyed world does evidence of moral turpitude on the part of Coach Freeze even advance a defamation (as I understand it) case for Coach Nutt? 

Just a piece accidentally sifted out?

We probably have some qualified opinions around here, but in lieu of those, I'll offer that character witnesses are a thing; therefore, I would venture a guess that establishing Freeze as having compromised character could be a legal strategy to show that he was, indeed, capable of the wrongdoing(s) that Ole Miss had assigned to Nutt. Again, though, I must emphasize my complete lack of an educated opinion on the matter. 

6 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Ole Miss's position with Nutt was that he's a scoundrel and Freeze is a saint. That all of the problems with the football program exist because Nutt is a bad person and there is no way the angelic Freeze could preside over those things.

Proving Freeze is no saint puts a huge hole in their talking points.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

In all our back and forth, I realize that I might've conveyed the opinion that the admins didn't share blame, which is not accurate. With you there. 

And I have yet to express sympathy for the fans and the players, most of whom had nothing to do with this cluster.

45 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

that offense still scares the crap out of me! shea is the real deal and those WRs are MASSIVE like they always have been under hugh freeze! It will be a way tougher game then people think. They will beat a couple they are not supposed to. I hope 1 of them is not us.....

I too think they will be good this year on offense. They will also play angry, like the 1993 AU team. In the end they will win a few SEC games and will finish around .500. I think we are better than them (as long as we are not injured) and we have them at home so we should win but I can see them sneaking up on teams like Vandy, Ark, Kentucky, and TAM. If they win those 4 and then 3 of the non-conf games that will be a good season. Plus they will be super angry in the Egg bowl. 

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I too think they will be good this year on offense. They will also play angry, like the 1993 AU team. In the end they will win a few SEC games and will finish around .500. I think we are better than them (as long as we are not injured) and we have them at home so we should win but I can see them sneaking up on teams like Vandy, Ark, Kentucky, and TAM. If they win those 4 and then 3 of the non-conf games that will be a good season. Plus they will be super angry in the Egg bowl. 

The big question is, are they going to play angry or are they going to play wounded? Ole Miss hasn't been here before. They were having unprecedented success only to have it thrown in their face that they had to cheat to get there. Crashing from a high like that could destroy the moral of a team who's not used to the ups and downs.

I agree that they will come in around .500 and then I think they will have to rebuild the team as the NCAA drops the hammer and frees the players to go elsewhere once the season is over.

10 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I agree that they will come in around .500 and then I think they will have to rebuild the team as the NCAA drops the hammer and frees the players to go elsewhere once the season is over.

Yep. By 2019 they will probably be worse than bad Vandy teams. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

It took years for Tom Osbourne to build Nebraska to be taken seriously on a national level. If that happened in todays environment he probaly would of never been able to build them up from a decent program in to a powerhouse and team of the 90's.

Not sure I remember it that way.  Nebraska was elite from Devaney in the early 70's and throughout Osborne's tenure.  Osborne just could never win the big one, supposedly because he did things the right way. (If you discount the steroided up 5th year O-lineman they always seemed to have).  It wasn't until he recruited some less than choirboy types out of Cali and overlooked Lawrence Phillips' domestic violence allegations that he actually won some NC's.  But, they were always good under Osborne.  Heck, they fired his replacement Frank Solich because he only averaged 9 wins a year while he was there.  But yeah, Ole Miss was stupid.  You could believe getting a top 5 player in a class for them, but not all in the same year...lol.

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not sure I remember it that way.  Nebraska was elite from Devaney in the early 70's and throughout Osborne's tenure.  Osborne just could never win the big one, supposedly because he did things the right way. (If you discount the steroided up 5th year O-lineman they always seemed to have).  It wasn't until he recruited some less than choirboy types out of Cali and overlooked Lawrence Phillips' domestic violence allegations that he actually won some NC's.  But, they were always good under Osborne.  Heck, they fired his replacement Frank Solich because he only averaged 9 wins a year while he was there.  But yeah, Ole Miss was stupid.  You could believe getting a top 5 player in a class for them, but not all in the same year...lol.

were they? Dang! This is why you should always do research before you run your mouth! lol this L is on me! I will take a knee on this. I have no recollection of nebraska before the 90's I mean I am only 27!! Can I catch a little break here?! haha. I did not know they were good before osbourne let alone won a couple of national titles in the 70's! Thanks for calling me on it! haha So basically this goes to the point even more than unless you were good in the early 1900's and have tradition then you cannot become good overnight and STAY at that level that ole miss was trying to do.

Archived