FINAL: AU 23 LSU 27 -- Postgame Thread

RunInRed

Going conservative and getting wild cat happy completely changed the psychic of the team on both sides of the ball. We've seen this over and over again unfortunately.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

I read where one poster wrote KD didn't make the trip, although no reason was given. I don't know if NCM made the trip but might have well left him at home as well.

And, IMO, this is where the problems on offense begins. 

I said at the outset of the season, success or failure hinges on our WR play.  Auburn has not had a featured receiver in years.  We have recruited well at the position but for what ever reason, the production is not there.  And, without a threat at receiver, all the opposing defenses have to do is sell out to stop the run.  Face it, we are (and have been) a one dimension team for a long time.

Other teams have 2 or 3 star receivers lighting up the stats.  Our 4 star and 5 star receivers either can't get open, drop the ball or stay in so much trouble, they don't see the field.  This is the most frustrating dynamic of the season for me.  

I seriously knew we lost this game when Gus went conservative in the red zone in the 2nd quarter. No kidding. Against good D's, the Wildcat just isn't effective. When you keep taking the QB out of the game and inserting him in at obvious passing situations, the offense is terribly simple to defend. Everybody knows what's coming. You don't win on the road with FG's and going conservative. If he hasn't learned this lesson by now, he truly is a moron.

5 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I asked my husband during the game, "Can you fake a wildcat?"  Because you are right...in and of itself, it's useless.  Everything's innovative the first-time around...but learning is all about moving past the first-time around.  Grow that bag of tricks and have the courage to utilize it.

"But, but, but, it worked when I was at Arkansas. Gus, that was with Darren freaking McFadden, and perhaps the world's largest offensive line in the history of college football. 

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

"But, but, but, it worked when I was at Arkansas. Gus, that was with Darren freaking McFadden, and perhaps the world's largest offensive line in the history of college football. 

I cringe every time I see that darn wildcat non sense.

59 minutes ago, AUTigergrad08 said:

At least LSU has the balls to fire Les last year after losing to us.  Wonder why Auburn doesn’t fire Gus now?  Because the administration loves mediocrity.  

Probably just like malzahn when he recruits a quarterback he will play him wheather he does good or bad trying to avoid just how stupid he looks with his decisions. 

3 minutes ago, Shift said:

And, IMO, this is where the problems on offense begins. 

I said at the outset of the season, success or failure hinges on our WR play.  Auburn has not had a featured receiver in years.  We have recruited well at the position but for what ever reason, the production is not there.  And, without a threat at receiver, all the opposing defenses have to do is sell out to stop the run.  Face it, we are (and have been) a one dimension team for a long time.

Other teams have 2 or 3 star receivers lighting up the stats.  Our 4 star and 5 star receivers either can't get open, drop the ball or stay in so much trouble, they don't see the field.  This is the most frustrating dynamic of the season for me.  

Passing game concepts are terrible. I also said before the season that our success would hinge on the performance of our most talented position, which happens to be the WR position. Early on, and especially after the Clemson game, I knew that our new OC had actually brought nothing new to the table. Gus can take a dynamic running QB, and call a simple HS offensive scheme, and have some success. Providing he has great talent on the O line. If he has to actually scheme a dynamic offense, where you create personnel mismatches, and gain advantages through alignment, and pre- snap reads, he is totally out of his league.

I'm in serious need of some sunshine pumping tonight...  It always make me feel better when y'all get after polishing a freshly lain turd and start reloading the bus.  I won't sleep well until I've seen a few positive posts.  :laugh:

1 minute ago, Coastal Tiger said:

I'm in serious need of some sunshine pumping tonight...  It always make me feel better when y'all get after polishing a freshly lain turd and start reloading the bus.  I won't sleep well until I've seen a few positive posts.  :laugh:

Well, Im afraid the ones who were trying to serve up crow the last couple of weeks will be strangely silent.

2 minutes ago, Coastal Tiger said:

We have a really cool mascot.

14 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I seriously knew we lost this game when Gus went conservative in the red zone in the 2nd quarter. No kidding. Against good D's, the Wildcat just isn't effective. When you keep taking the QB out of the game and inserting him in at obvious passing situations, the offense is terribly simple to defend. Everybody knows what's coming. You don't win on the road with FG's and going conservative. If he hasn't learned this lesson by now, he truly is a moron.

bingo

Auburn had a chance to kill LSU, fans were leaving their defense was on its heels our offense was clicking.

Then it was decided to run the clock out from the 2nd quarter.

I said it at the half, it panned once and showed Gus with the headset and paper in his hand I knew it was over. Players looked discombobulated and the play calling went to sh!t. Gus will always be Gus Auburn Family immediately needs to start to demand better. Clean house and start fresh.

I'm looking for that smart Alec that told me to shut up in the 2nd quarter. Said my mantra was getting old, or something like that. How do you like me now? 

37 minutes ago, 1856 said:

Yes, but they won't beat bama.  If we win out, we go to the SECCG. 

Win out! What are you smoking, snorting, drinking or rubbing into your belly?

3 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

I said it at the half, it panned once and showed Gus with the headset and paper in his hand I knew it was over. Players looked discombobulated and the play calling went to sh!t. Gus will always be Gus Auburn Family immediately start to demand better. Clean house and s start fresh.

I missed that.  did he really have the play card out again? 

1 minute ago, milehighfan said:

Win out! What are you smoking, snorting, drinking or rubbing into your belly?

when a coach starts using the *we control our own destiny" you know things are not good.

2 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

yes he does,  nothing really unusual about that

Meanwhile Ga and Mizz are tied at 14 in the first half.

3 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

He did come around 2nd quarter I think.it was the first we are lost call a timeout.

2 minutes ago, RBCAubie said:

And probably TAM!

don't count out Arky, Auburn will make them look great. Just depends how soon Auburn goes into play not to lose mode.

24 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

who was mcfadden's back up? I remember he was good too. Wildcat works well with two pro bowl backs running it and powerful oline/te

Archived