End could be near for Jacobs

GwillMac6

3 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

ok thanks...personally i think a mid season firing would be useless and a distraction. But it is what it is. 

A distraction for whom?  Certainly not the athletes, and doubtful Malzhan or Pearl would be distraught at losing their boss when they have their own sport to manage right now.

Probably should have gone on and cut him loose before the academic year commenced.  But I guess the optics would have been bad after the softball soap opera.:dunno:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

They can’t count with their shoes on...

Shoes?  I wasn't aware that they owned any...but then, there is T-town Menswear...

:Sing::zapbama:

2 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Why would JJ firing have any affect on football?  JJ is over all sports.  You would never find a time of the year that the AD didn't have a sport going on.  I mean basketball starts in just a few days.  Fire him now.  Fire him in a month.  It is not going to affect the sports programs other than make some happy that have Title IX issues against him.

Other than, depending on how the rest of the season plays out, we may be hiring a new football coach and we need a new AD to do that.  That is why JJ should be fired and replaced ASAP.  It would be ideal (but probably too much to ask) if our PTB already had a competent replacement for Jaybotron just waiting to be announced.

wde

First there is no law that states an AD has to hire a coach. The president can appoint someone or even a committee to do the search and if they find the guy the President hires. By the way the President is the only one that can hire a coach . AD can only recommend a coach to the President. The Board just approves the contract. My guess now is they will allow JJ to go till December 1 to make his retirement. I think he can do it anytime in December so I suspect they will make it early. The AD search has probably already began behind the scene. Wouldn’t be surprised if the named the new AD the same day JJ retires. Unless things get really out of hand I suspect they will allow Gus to finish the season but make the change before the bowl game. We will probably use an interim for the Bowl and not hire until after the first of the year when top coaches finish up their bowl games . I really don’t suspect anything changing from that at this point. JMO

31 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

First there is no law that states an AD has to hire a coach. The president can appoint someone or even a committee to do the search and if they find the guy the President hires. By the way the President is the only one that can hire a coach . AD can only recommend a coach to the President. The Board just approves the contract. My guess now is they will allow JJ to go till December 1 to make his retirement. I think he can do it anytime in December so I suspect they will make it early. The AD search has probably already began behind the scene. Wouldn’t be surprised if the named the new AD the same day JJ retires. Unless things get really out of hand I suspect they will allow Gus to finish the season but make the change before the bowl game. We will probably use an interim for the Bowl and not hire until after the first of the year when top coaches finish up their bowl games . I really don’t suspect anything changing from that at this point. JMO

That sounds like a smooth transition with very little heartburn. Unlikely it transpires this way though. 

I'm not sure AU needs a coach that will jump on the gravy train without knowing who his new boss will be. Who will perform his annual evaluations?  Who does he go to for facility upgrades and improvements when necessary?  Will his boss support him when difficult player decisions have to be made?  What about staff changes when they pop up?

There are a LOT of channels and hoops to jump through, and we're breaking in a brand new a President who's been on campus only 3 months.  The last committee consisted of Jay Jacobs, Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford all "Auburn Men" down to the core.  

Not trying to be negative, but i wouldn't get my hopes up with a new AD. The PTB will still be in place to run things from a distance. In fact, i'd be amazed if they hired anyone with any cahunas, because anyone with any balls wouldn't put up with the crap that goes on down on the plains, they'd stay a mile away from the seemingly train wreck. Just don't see anything changing, same show, different donkey.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

A distraction for whom?  Certainly not the athletes, and doubtful Malzhan or Pearl would be distraught at losing their boss when they have their own sport to manage right now.

Probably should have gone on and cut him loose before the academic year commenced.  But I guess the optics would have been bad after the softball soap opera.:dunno:

that’s true......but it’s the possibility of media speculation on whether the potential new AD is inclined to keep either of them. Al.Com will have different opinion piece each day..

3 hours ago, keesler said:

That sounds like a smooth transition with very little heartburn. Unlikely it transpires this way though. 

I'm not sure AU needs a coach that will jump on the gravy train without knowing who his new boss will be. Who will perform his annual evaluations?  Who does he go to for facility upgrades and improvements when necessary?  Will his boss support him when difficult player decisions have to be made?  What about staff changes when they pop up?

There are a LOT of channels and hoops to jump through, and we're breaking in a brand new a President who's been on campus only 3 months.  The last committee consisted of Jay Jacobs, Bo Jackson, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford all "Auburn Men" down to the core.  

I believe there would be more that would rather go in blind than to go in somewhere they knew they would have a half wit control freak like JJ that would promise all the upgrades and never produce anything besides his famous jumbo screen (mounted on top of and old and crumbling stadium).

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Not sure why you're complaining here when WDE has confirmed it's legitimacy.

I'm complaining about this scribbler using a minor issue as an excuse to re-list every single thing that's gone wrong in AU athletics for the entire previous year.

15 hours ago, keesler said:

I am pretty sure that "Committee" was purely a show.  Jacobs lost all credibility by hiring and firing Mr. 5-19 that the people who worked to keep Jacobs job formed the committee so the next Good Ole Boy hire Jacobs made had some credibility to it.  Jacobs and that committee knew good and well from the beginning that Jacobs was going to hire Gus.  They just wanted to give the impression of a search.

2 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I am pretty sure that "Committee" was purely a show.  Jacobs lost all credibility by hiring and firing Mr. 5-19 that the people who worked to keep Jacobs job formed the committee so the next Good Ole Boy hire Jacobs made had some credibility to it.  Jacobs and that committee knew good and well from the beginning that Jacobs was going to hire Gus.  They just wanted to give the impression of a search.

Maybe but hiring a high profile employee like a new HC does not take place without input and "sign off" from a lot of people ...the PTBs as we refer to them.   The AD does not want to be out on that limb alone when things go sour.    At any school, the AD ignores the PTBs at his or her peril.   

And as for the president making the hire, even the president has bosses and certainly Leath does not know enough about the process or needs of our football program to evaluate candidates and make a good hire.  

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Maybe but hiring a high profile employee like a new HC does not take place without input and "sign off" from a lot of people ...the PTBs as we refer to them.   The AD does not want to be out on that limb alone when things go sour.    At any school, the AD ignores the PTBs at his or her peril.   

And as for the president making the hire, even the president has bosses and certainly Leath does not know enough about the process or needs of our football program to evaluate candidates and make a good hire.  

I really want to know then, how did the PTB sign off on Gene CHizik as i was currently on a 10  game losing streak.

9 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I really want to know then, how did the PTB sign off on Gene CHizik as i was currently on a 10  game losing streak.

Betting he was hired based on what he did at AU and UTx as a DC.... 

13 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

To expound on this; how did the PTB not see the tendencies Gus showed while he was here as the OC?  When Gus spoke as the OC, you could tell he was uncomfortable while the OC and somehow he broke out of his shell in one short year?

ETA:  When hiring a coach is there any thought about personality traits that goes into the hiring process or is it all football knowledge.  I would hope this changes as time goes on.

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

+1

President Leath has no idea what Auburn Athletics needs, or what the fan base and alumni expect.  Hell, he barely even knows the tendencies and whims of the BOT and more importantly the big $$ donors that wield influence and power with their pocketbooks.  

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

To expound on this; how did the PTB not see the tendencies Gus showed while he was here as the OC?  When Gus spoke as the OC, you could tell he was uncomfortable while the OC and somehow he broke out of his shell in one short year?

ETA:  When hiring a coach is there any thought about personality traits that goes into the hiring process or is it all football knowledge.  I would hope this changes as time goes on.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8709919/gus-malzahn-accepts-auburn-tigers-coaching-job

Read this article (if you can, I'm horrible at linking stuff) when you get a chance.  It provides a view of the mood of the Auburn Administration and Gus at the time of his return.

Jacobs said, "The characteristics that he brought to the table were head and shoulders above everybody else."  He said Gus was a "clear unanimous choice of our search committee."  Gus was "a proven winner and without question one of the brightest minds in college football."

Bo Jackson said he was confident they "got the right man" and that Gus "shined a little brighter than other guys" that were interviewed.  

CGM ......"We will be a fast-paced, attacking style offense and defense."  

Gus executed the interview to perfection and came in with energy and enthusiasm and was fired up for  "A NEW DAY"!

Wonder who the hell threw a wet blanket on his fire?

16 minutes ago, keesler said:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/8709919/gus-malzahn-accepts-auburn-tigers-coaching-job

Read this article (if you can, I'm horrible at linking stuff) when you get a chance.  It provides a view of the mood of the Auburn Administration and Gus at the time of his return.

Jacobs said, "The characteristics that he brought to the table were head and shoulders above everybody else."  He said Gus was a "clear unanimous choice of our search committee."  Gus was "a proven winner and without question one of the brightest minds in college football."

Bo Jackson said he was confident they "got the right man" and that Gus "shined a little brighter than other guys" that were interviewed.  

CGM ......"We will be a fast-paced, attacking style offense and defense."  

Gus executed the interview to perfection and came in with energy and enthusiasm and was fired up for  "A NEW DAY"!

Wonder who the hell threw a wet blanket on his fire?

I remember reading this article or at least the press release from Auburn on Gus’ hiring.  It was a very positive article and set the tone for 2013.  Re-reading it now it seems Gus was the leading and only candidate that had any chance at the job. A quote from the article seems telling:  

Athletic director Jay Jacobs declined to say who else he interviewed, but said it didn't matter.

"The characteristics that he brought to the table were head and shoulders above everybody else," Jacobs said.

Spurrier has a sound bite on XM mentioning when he was a candidate for the LSU coach when Archer was named HC.  He said they wasted a lot of money bringing in a lot of coaches just to hire the acting HC.

It seems a lot of programs are going through the same issue when hiring coaches.  Take the Gators as an example; hire McElwain after a year or two at Colorado State, pay a huge buy out and pay another buy out to get rid of him in 3 short years.  The hire seemed to be because of his experience with Coach Saban and success at CSU without regard to his psychological make up.

I know the physiological make up is not the number one priority, but it can save a lot of money in the long run.  We, as fans, will never know the reasons behind the hire, we can only react to what we see as the result.  You would think an organization in charge of a multi-million dollar business would make decisions with a little more understanding of the dynamics of hiring the correct personnel.

The SEC is a pressure cooker for coaches and you better hire a coach that can take the pressure.

As to the wet blanket, it’s amazing how people change when they are given the responsiblity of the “boss” when all they were used to was being part of the program. They do not have the experience with being “the man” and when they are, they aren’t up to the challenge.

It goes back to the physiological make up and that is what Auburn is up against.  Hire an experienced Coach at a premium, or an up and comer hoping he is ready for the big time.  A little more analysis of the candidates physiological tendencies could go a long way.

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

You know exactly how. 

17 hours ago, keesler said:

He has only been here for three months but he has been a President at a P5 school and has been through coach hires before

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

He has only been here for three months but he has been a President at a P5 school and has been through coach hires before

And trust the fact that they will use one of these firms that do all the leg work for you. Then it's a matter of the PTB that have our President's ear.

Plus, if they hire  an AD first, then if they get a strong experienced guy, he will certainly bring experience if looking for a new HC.

Enough.  What is taking so long?  I heard last week they were going to announce Jacobs dismissal.  Then Yesterday.  Is he even getting fired?  What? Leath needs to do it right?  Spoiler alert for. no one is pulling for Jacobs!  When are they going to get on with it?

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Enough.  What is taking so long?  I heard last week they were going to announce Jacobs dismissal.  Then Yesterday.  Is he even getting fired?  What? Leath needs to do it right?  Spoiler alert for. no one is pulling for Jacobs!  When are they going to get on with it?

what exactly is the urgency? These things take time, nothing is going to happen before the end of the season.

On 11/1/2017 at 1:28 PM, TigerOne said:

what exactly is the urgency? These things take time, nothing is going to happen before the end of the season.

The only urgency is from those who want to believe that CGM is getting fired.  The argument would be that you get a new AD in asap so he could fire Gus and get a new coach ASAP.  Again, that is from the small, but loud, group that believe CGM will be fired this year.

2 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Does ANYONE at AU know the needs of our football program?

Maybe no one anywhere for that matter.  Lots of opinions out there however......and I'm betting that a good many of them will be proven to be wrong further down the road.     As we've noted here and elsewhere it's mostly a crap shoot.     JMO

Archived