Joey Gatewood article

SCBusPilot

http://gridironnow.com/auburn-qb-joey-gatewood-doesnt-celebrate-signing-works/

Earlier this year, I wrote a column about what kind of worker newly signed Auburn QB Joey Gatewood is; Wednesday was a great example. Wednesday morning, Joey – I call him Joey because I’ve known him for years now, watching him mature, helping develop his game as his quarterback coach – sent his paperwork to Auburn with no ceremony at his school. He is in work mode.

Most high school players celebrate signing day as the incredible accomplishment it is; not Joey Gatewood.

I try and visit the signing day ceremonies of all of the college-bound quarterbacks I train so that I can enjoy the moment with them and get a picture of this very special day. The only picture I got with Joey was later in the day when he was in Boost Sports Performance in Jacksonville, FL working out as hard as he ever does.

Joey didn’t celebrate, Joey worked!

Denny Thompson and Joey Gatewood.

Denny Thompson and Joey Gatewood. (Photo credit Denny Thompson / GRIDIRON NOW)

This is the kind of young man who is heading to Auburn. Auburn is getting a guy who on the very first morning of his Christmas break, was in my training facility getting back after it again.

He received several hours of personal QB work from me, followed by a couple of hours of lifting and training with some of the top trainers in the southeast. I try not to write too much about the guys who I personally work with as a quarterback coach, but I am amazed by what Joey’s mindset is right now.

I personally picked him up before his 9:00 AM session Thursday morning and didn’t leave the facility until after 6:00 PM. That’s how it always works with Joey – I pick him up when I am starting my day and take him home when I am completely done.

Joey is willing to sit in one place all day in order to put three hours of work in.

I’ve made my prediction before on how I think the Joey Gatewood era will go at Auburn and I will say it again: Joey will leave Auburn with a Heisman Trophy!

I know that sounds like crazy-talk to say about a 17-year-old who doesn’t turn 18 until April, but I’ve never seen someone with the skillset of Gatewood combined with his work ethic and focus.

I know that a 6-foot-5, 230-pound Auburn quarterback will instantly draw comparisons to Cam Newton. Heck, even Gus Malzahn compared the two Wednesday.

I want to set the record straight: Joey isn’t going to Auburn to be the next Cam Newton, Joey is going to Auburn to be the first Joey Gatewood.

24 minutes ago, SCBusPilot said:

http://gridironnow.com/auburn-qb-joey-gatewood-doesnt-celebrate-signing-works/

Earlier this year, I wrote a column about what kind of worker newly signed Auburn QB Joey Gatewood is; Wednesday was a great example. Wednesday morning, Joey – I call him Joey because I’ve known him for years now, watching him mature, helping develop his game as his quarterback coach – sent his paperwork to Auburn with no ceremony at his school. He is in work mode.

Most high school players celebrate signing day as the incredible accomplishment it is; not Joey Gatewood.

I try and visit the signing day ceremonies of all of the college-bound quarterbacks I train so that I can enjoy the moment with them and get a picture of this very special day. The only picture I got with Joey was later in the day when he was in Boost Sports Performance in Jacksonville, FL working out as hard as he ever does.

Joey didn’t celebrate, Joey worked!

Denny Thompson and Joey Gatewood.

Denny Thompson and Joey Gatewood. (Photo credit Denny Thompson / GRIDIRON NOW)

This is the kind of young man who is heading to Auburn. Auburn is getting a guy who on the very first morning of his Christmas break, was in my training facility getting back after it again.

He received several hours of personal QB work from me, followed by a couple of hours of lifting and training with some of the top trainers in the southeast. I try not to write too much about the guys who I personally work with as a quarterback coach, but I am amazed by what Joey’s mindset is right now.

I personally picked him up before his 9:00 AM session Thursday morning and didn’t leave the facility until after 6:00 PM. That’s how it always works with Joey – I pick him up when I am starting my day and take him home when I am completely done.

Joey is willing to sit in one place all day in order to put three hours of work in.

I’ve made my prediction before on how I think the Joey Gatewood era will go at Auburn and I will say it again: Joey will leave Auburn with a Heisman Trophy!

I know that sounds like crazy-talk to say about a 17-year-old who doesn’t turn 18 until April, but I’ve never seen someone with the skillset of Gatewood combined with his work ethic and focus.

I know that a 6-foot-5, 230-pound Auburn quarterback will instantly draw comparisons to Cam Newton. Heck, even Gus Malzahn compared the two Wednesday.

I want to set the record straight: Joey isn’t going to Auburn to be the next Cam Newton, Joey is going to Auburn to be the first Joey Gatewood.

051055C1-6173-46AF-A680-68F5C62DB149.gif

Both 247 and ESPN rank Gatewood under the Athlete category, rather than the Dual Threat Quarterback category.

I find that a little odd, given Gatewood's size. The Athlete category usually reserved for a prospect that is likely to project in multiple positions. Does Gatewood play on defense as well?

Rivals rates Gatewood the #7 Dual-Threat QB in the country.

32 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re two years late. 

Yep, you apparently put the ring on him first. I will give you credit for that. Hope it works out - still have my doubts. 

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Both 247 and ESPN rank Gatewood under the Athlete category, rather than the Dual Threat Quarterback category.

I find that a little odd, given Gatewood's size. The Athlete category usually reserved for a prospect that is likely to project in multiple positions. Does Gatewood play on defense as well?

Rivals rates Gatewood the #7 Dual-Threat QB in the country.

I am sure people would like to see him play TE if he doesn’t make it at QB. IMO, this would be absolutely the wrong move. He needs to be our QB and we need to develop him. Too much of a playmaker to not have the ball in his hands every offensive possession .

Well, I got chills. 

Stidham’s former coach (I believe) said similar comments about his work ethic and I have been very pleased with him all around. 

Train him up, Chip! 

Saw this earlier today. Work ethic reminds me of a certain someone...I think he is from Texas..Not sure though. Having Chip and that OTHER guy to train him will make him a Heisman contender. Bank on it.

Unfortunately won’t get to see him this year likely, but he can be a transcendent talent. Hope Stidham goes ahead and does whatever he has to do next year so I can see this read option godsend between Willis and this fella in 2019

20 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Yep, you apparently put the ring on him first. I will give you credit for that. Hope it works out - still have my doubts. 

The way we just missed on our “impact TEs” that we wanted, they may have extra motivation to move him over sooner than later. Who knows. Could try a temporary move and do double duty while Stidham is still there? 

I happened to stopped at a gas station in mid-November and saw this person get out of his car and I said to myself, "wow, that's a good looking kid," not knowing who he was until he turned around...I'll say this, if he plays as well as he looks, then we're in for an exciting time on the Plains...

I am thinking his development as a college qb will take a couple years. I like having him in our system. Just want nix too. Another qb in this class would be good too. 

14 hours ago, alexava said:

I am thinking his development as a college qb will take a couple years. I like having him in our system. Just want nix too. Another qb in this class would be good too. 

I agree. Needs definitely a year to groom him on our offense. They definitely did not utilize him for his passing skills in HS, so he needs a lot of reps to become a complete QB in our system.

For anyone to even suggest him as a TE is crazy. Make a TE and he is lost as a gifted athlete, bc we don't use TEs except for blocking. 

I also wish Gus had not mentioned him in the same mold as Cam....I hate comparisons before they set foot on an SEC football field. ANd even his trainer noted that he wants to be the first JG...and that's the way it should be...

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. Needs definitely a year to groom him on our offense. They definitely did not utilize him for his passing skills in HS, so he needs a lot of reps to become a complete QB in our system.

For anyone to even suggest him as a TE is crazy. Make a TE and he is lost as a gifted athlete, bc we don't use TEs except for blocking. 

I also wish Gus had not mentioned him in the same mold as Cam....I hate comparisons before they set foot on an SEC football field. ANd even his trainer noted that he wants to be the first JG...and that's the way it should be...

I think he is mentioned with cam because coming out of hs cam was no polished passer either. Hell we had kodi rated higher. Spurrier offered him as a TE. I’m excited and hopeful but I’ll be patient. 

The commentary on his work ethic and overall attitude is very reminiscent of Braden Smith. I think the day he signed, when he was asked what he was going to do to celebrate, it was something to the effect of "Get back to work in the weight room". 

I was going to post something about Joey playing both ways and all, but seriously, he is a winner before he even gets to Auburn.  I truly believe he will do great things, but if not, he earns my respect.  

Archived