Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

Hey, what do you know? They gave  Braun the belt!  Haha really thought it was going to be a squash the way it started. Braun deserves a run, but geez they could have let him do the run around. I guess GB really can’t do much other than the spear these days. He is 54 years old after all lol. Anyways, congrats Braun! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Why does Goldberg need security walking with him in an empty arena?

To make sure he can find his way I guess. He is getting older. 

• Haha 1

Like what I’m seeing so far with the boneyard

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Hey, what do you know? They gave  Braun the belt!  Haha really thought it was going to be a squash the way it started. Braun deserves a run, but geez they could have let him do the run around. I guess GB really can’t do much other than the spear these days. He is 54 years old after all lol. Anyways, congrats Braun! 

Lol pfffffffft this is all he has ever been able to do let's be real now!!!! Ohhhh excuse me he used to be able to also do the jack knife power bomb!!! Hahahah.....

Hell yaaaaaa!!!!! This is amazing!!!!! So so sooooo happy for strowman!!! About time to win the big one!!! Much better than them trying to coronate Roman for the 346789985432 time!!!! Lmao

8 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This boneyard match is badddd

Anything taker has touched since mania 29 with punk has been soooooooo terrible TBH.

Great show though overall!!!! Blew me away with how good it has been! Pleasantly surprised.

That was freaking perfect!!!!!!!!! I could really see that as the type of business Taker would handle in real life. Way to end the night!

Well yes it was a bit over dramatic, but different haha

Edited by AUBwins
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That was freaking perfect!!!!!!!!! I could really see that as the type of business Taker would handle in real life. Way to end the night!

Well yes it was a bit over dramatic, but different haha

You done it now!!! You've gone and made a big mistake..... Lol

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

You don't it now!!! You've gone and made a big mistake..... Lol

Oh well ...

C0D24406-B0E6-4D77-85D5-5DC9B3AC26E1.gif

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Oh well ...

C0D24406-B0E6-4D77-85D5-5DC9B3AC26E1.gif

Dude I wanted so badly to him to come out to biker American badass taker music!!!!! That's the only taker I ever liked!!!! Lol.

• Like 1

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Dude I wanted so badly to him to come out to biker American badass taker music!!!!! That's the only taker I ever liked!!!! Lol.

Yea he looked confused when you say that. Badass attire and attitude with Bike. Rises from Grave like the dead man, trash talks like Badass and rides off like Badass, but with Deadman music and symbol on shed. Oh Shiite Bray Wyatt got to Taker!!!

• Haha 1

What a strange night and an interesting start to the first ever two-day Wrestlemania event. There were some highs and moments that definitely landed flat. Still, there were some moments that could really be built upon moving forward.

Cesaro vs. Drew Gulak
Alright but mostly forgettable. My biggest takeaway was the concept that Gronk supposedly "setup" the fight and was the "host" for the night. He really didn't say much for a host and for the entirety of the show he only had two moments on camera. Cesaro and Gulak performed technically well but again it wasn't anything that will echo throughout the halls of Wrestlemania history. Didn't feel any different from a regular WWE performance.
Grade: C

The Kabuki Warriors vs. Alexa Bliss & Nikki Cross
This was actually a great display of how far women's wrestling has come (not new news I know but still). It was interesting all of the extra noises coming from the Kabuki Warriors and sometimes it felt like a little too much. Still it was fun and the Bliss-Cross duo performed well in their victory. I will say the very end of the fight was surprising and it seemed abrupt at the time.
Grade: B-

King Corbin vs. Elias
Pretty fun fight overall. Silly for Corbin to want a win by DQ at Wrestlemania; yes we as fans knew that wouldn't happen but why even pretend like that would be allowed at the biggest event of the year? Elias shut up an, intentionally, annoying character. A moment that fell flat was when King Corbin took time to yell at the commentators about not praising him enough; it felt weird an unnecessary. Still, the fun loving Elias came out on top and narrative-wise it just felt right.
Grade: C+

Becky Lynch vs. Shayna Baszler
Saw a lot of hate for this match on Twitter but I couldn't disagree more. Well fought, lots of suspense throughout, and truly wasn't sure who would come out on top at different moments. Lynch deserved the win when looking at the build up to the event. She was bitten! At the big show it just makes more sense for the face to put a stop to a "monsters" rampage through the lineup. Honestly, this would be a great moment to turn Baszler away from such a heel-ish mentality. Otherwise we're going to see a lot of redundant story lines between the two. I really enjoyed this matchup.
Grade: B+

Sami Zayn vs. Daniel Bryan
Terrible. I know a lot of people liked this flight but it just fell flat for me. There is a way to successfully portray a cowardly character (see prime Jericho and Miz at times) but this isn't it. At some point Zayn needed to look more viable and respectful in this match after all the goofing around. Instead, they stuck to the goofing off and did Daniel Bryan dirty. Side note, if Bryan's neck injury is legitimate my dude needs to chill with launching himself like a missile across the ring and into barricades.
Grade: D+

John Morrison vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Jimmy Uso
Absolutely amazing match! Kingston took advantage of the ability to hear the competitors and used the opportunity to catch attention. Morrison hit some amazing moves including a tightrope walk into one of the best moments of the night. Uso was relatively out shined but was still a part of what was essentially the best match of the night (not performance but I'll clarify later). Also, it's the most Miz like thing to technically win a Wrestlemania match that he didn't even participate in. With a crowd this is likely one of the great matches in the history of the event.
Grade: A-

24/7 Championship
This was a somewhat odd moment but humorous. Would have liked to have seen Gronkowski show a little more skill and look less like a punk. Still, R Truth has been a funny weirdo for a while now and the moment was a nice segway.

Kevin Owens vs. Seth Rollins
This felt closer to a 'Mania match. Legitimate feeling build up, a surprise fake ending, and a cathartic pay off for the viewers. Rollins needed to be brought low and to do so Kevin Owens got rather high for an epic dive bomb through a table. Fun fight with a legitimate payoff. Not much to add but I think this will help Rollins turn back into a more tolerable character.
Grade: A

Goldberg vs. Strowman
Absolutely terrible and too short. If they didn't feel Goldberg was up to a full on fight then why have it at all? That or they could have easily done another pre-recorded video like they did for a different aging legend. This was an absolute disgrace to Goldberg's legacy and against a rather bland big-boy.
Grade: F+

The Undertaker vs. AJ Styles
This was awesome! What an amazing workaround without a live crowd for the event. Honestly, after this started I was wondering why we didn't see more of these movie-like events since the lack of a crowd is painful for some fights. This is also a great way to compensate for an aging Undertaker as they can take as many breaks necessary while shooting this finale. It would have been a bold move but an entire Wrestlemania setup like this would have been really interesting. Some fights don't deserve the movie treatment but there are definitely other fights that could have used this treatment. So much fun and the Undertaker gets to be his mystical self again (instead of losing to the forced golden boy Roman Reigns).
Grade: A

• Love 1

Ok I'm confused.... Did you write all that by yourself!?!? Lol. Because damn man!!! Why didn't you tell us you had these writing chops in your back pocket!!!! Woooooooo!!! LETS GO BRODIE!!!

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

Nice write up Zeek. Agree with most of your points. Also thought that more matches should have had different backdrops to compensate for the no crowd. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Ok I'm confused.... Did you write all that by yourself!?!? Lol. Because damn man!!! Why didn't you tell us you had these writing chops in your back pocket!!!! Woooooooo!!! LETS GO BRODIE!!!

Usually don’t have the time lol now all I have is time 

• Haha 1

That's.....dumb.

1) Charlotte being on NXT is just stupid

2) Rhea is a STAR.  Why, oh why, would you do that? 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

That's.....dumb.

1) Charlotte being on NXT is just stupid

2) Rhea is a STAR.  Why, oh why, would you do that? 

I think Bianca Bel-Air is a much bigger star than Rhea. But your got damn right Rhea is a star!!! For sure.  Bianca has IT!!!! She is going to be a mega star. She can talk and wrestle just like her husband. I hope Bianca is the one to take the belt off of freaking Becky. I think her husband is going to be the face of the company some day. Suuuuuuper high on him.

That was a absolute unit bangaaaaaaa clangerrrrr of a match!!!! Those 2 women put in a show!!!! That was fun and entertaining AF!!!! I'm biased but my favorite match so far. Rhea is a freaking greaaaaat wrestler. Always love watching her between the ropes. 

Mrs WrestleMania keeps adding to her catalog of mania matches!!!!!! Woooooooo

Not sure I understand all the Sasha Banks love

Dolph Ziggler has been an absolutely wasted talent. Has much more potential to be a marketable face for the company than a Strowman. This storyline and how they’ve used him over the last 12 years has been silly at best. Embarrassing and silly loss.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not sure I understand all the Sasha Banks love

Dolph Ziggler has been an absolutely wasted talent. Has much more potential to be a marketable face for the company than a Strowman. This storyline and how they’ve used him over the last 12 years has been silly at best. Embarrassing and silly loss.

This was the second best built match for all of Mania, behind Orton/Edge.  I love me some Otis though.

• Like 2
  • Love 1