Pro Wrestling Open Thread

Brad_ATX

16 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

They should of never given the belt to Goldberg in the first place. I absolutely detest that dude. I hate his attitude towards the business and how he has no love for it and is just a mercenary and always has been. He also has the personality of a wet paper towel hahaha. His talking ability is somehow even worse than his wrestling. He couldn't wrestle in his "prime" but yah sure let's have him in a Marquee match at mania that won't last longer than Tim tebow did on his wedding night!!!! LMAO 😭😂🤣. Rant not over. Just hitting pause until I see the 54 year old man beat the absolute Boulder of a beast in strowman and I will lose my ish again!!!!! Lol

Oops, struck a nerve! But you didn’t answer my question. Strowman vs GB or Matt Riddle vs GB? Just for you buddy, our barefoot companion can win the match. 😁

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AUDub said:

<grew up in the midst of the Monday Night Wars

Ah, come on. Goldberg in his heyday was the man. Everyone loved watching him squash people!

Toward the end, Goldberg was one of the few things the WCW had going for it, and they screwed it up, not him.

Well I was the one kid who did not like Goldberg!!!!! You know who he is!?!? A more protected and better presented Ryback. Dude just does nothing for me.

Omgsh how fun!!!! Let's watch the 151st exact same match from him!!!! Wooooo whooooooooo how exciting!!!!! Pfffffffft lol. This is one of my topics I am most passionate about. This and absolutely unequivocally detesting and hating takers mania streak!!!!! O I loathed it so much. When Lesnar beat him it was one of my happiest moments as a wrasslin fan!!! Lol

Edited by GwillMac6

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

Oops, struck a nerve! But you didn’t answer my question. Strowman vs GB or Matt Riddle vs GB? Just for you buddy, our barefoot companion can win the match. 😁

Whoever they would actually book to win the match!!! My personal preference is riddle because of how he real life gets under Goldberg's skin!!! Lol

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Whoever they would actually book to win the match!!! My personal preference is riddle because of how he real life gets under Goldberg's skin!!! Lol

Exactly! That’s why the story works. That was my point!  It would immediately have intrigue. I knew you’d come through. 

0F1A6054-CDC3-4DCE-9968-D408F5F5203A.gif

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Exactly! That’s why the story works. That was my point!  It would immediately have intrigue. I knew you’d come through. 

0F1A6054-CDC3-4DCE-9968-D408F5F5203A.gif

But they wouldn't let riddle win and I would run through my window afterwards in disgust!!! Lol

• Haha 1

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

But they wouldn't let riddle win and I would run through my window afterwards in disgust!!! Lol

Hey, maybe Kevin Owens interrupts, Stuns GB as payback for his loss a few years ago, then Riddle wins with a Penalty Kick on the recoil. Riddle celebrates, Goldberg style since GB celebrated as a Broserweight last time. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Well I was the one kid who did not like Goldberg!!!!! You know who he is!?!? A more protected and better presented Ryback. Dude just does nothing for me.

Yeah, apparently so. Goldberg drew. Hell, I enjoyed it myself. It was a great set up. WCW's roster had been getting smashed to s*** by the unstoppable NWO for years. Sting, Luger, Flair, all these guys were getting their asses kicked.

So what do you throw in to stop this unstoppable heel faction? Only this unstoppable BAMF that squashed everyone and didn't have time for their s***. The early booking with him was great.

Of course, the WCW screwed it up in the end (because, you know, WCW), oh well. 

And get out of here with that Ryback crap. Everyone with a brain knows who they were trying to emulate, hence the "Ryberg" nick.

Omgsh how fun!!!! Let's watch the 151st exact same match from him!!!! Wooooo whooooooooo how exciting!!!!! Pfffffffft lol. This is one of my topics I am most passionate about. This and absolutely unequivocally detesting and hating takers mania streak!!!!! O I loathed it so much. When Lesnar beat him it was one of my happiest moments as a wrasslin fan!!! Lol

Bah. Whatever you say. It worked at the time. I won't pretend it isn't worn out, but a part of me does enjoy seeing him get his after the screwjob he got in the WCW. 

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yeah, apparently so. Goldberg drew. Hell, I enjoyed it myself. It was a great set up. WCW's roster had been getting smashed to s*** by the unstoppable NWO for years. Sting, Luger, Flair, all these guys were getting their asses kicked.

So what do you throw in to stop this unstoppable heel faction? Only this unstoppable BAMF that squashed everyone and didn't have time for their s***. The early booking with him was great.

Of course, the WCW screwed it up in the end (because, you know, WCW), oh well. 

And get out of here with that Ryback crap. Everyone with a brain knows who they were trying to emulate, hence the "Ryberg" nick.

Bah. Whatever you say. It worked at the time. I won't pretend it isn't worn out, but a part of me does enjoy seeing him get his after the screwjob he got in the WCW. 

Hahahaha that's who he is man. He can't wrestle. He can't talk. He's Ryback. Ryback just came at a time when wrasslin ain't as popular and isn't as big a deal in pop culture.

Goldberg showed in the WWE during his 1 year run he just couldn't hang with the big boys. His character couldn't survive and sustain even after one single loss in the wcw. That's the only thing he had going for him was being undefeated. 

Screw job in wcw!?!? The company that made him a millionaire and is the only reason why he keeps getting to cash big fat checks??? Hahaha yah what a screw job!!! They could of hand picked almost anyone to give the streak to but they chose Goldberg. Without it he's nothing. 

I do agree he was and is a draw and is immensely popular. Personally I was just always a macho Man, DDP, NWO, flair and sting fan in wcw hey day. But yah I can't deny he was one of the faces of the Monday night wars for sure.

43 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Hahahaha that's who he is man. He can't wrestle.

He wasn't asked to. It's not what the character is. Could he have? Maybe, but his character was always intended to be a monster that squashes people. He was plenty athletic enough.

Neither of us can answer that, and he wouldn't be Goldberg at that point.

He can't talk.

A lot of the greatest wrestlers of all time were crap on the mic. Benoit, Warrior, Luger, the Hardy's,. They all sucked with the mic in hand. 

That's not a strike. 

He's Ryback. Ryback just came at a time when wrasslin ain't as popular and isn't as big a deal in pop culture.

Bull. Ryback is a poor man's expy for those too young to be marks on it.

Goldberg showed in the WWE during his 1 year run he just couldn't hang with the big boys.

Bull. For instance, name a WCW made star that didn't get screwed in the "invasion" angle aside from the ones that came over early.

"Hang with the big boys" lol. In a kayfabe sport. This might be the worst argument you could have made. Vince made it absolutely clear that he wanted to cast his guys as superior during that angle. 

Why should Goldberg be any different? Easy answer. They didn't want him to "hang with the big boys."

Screw job in wcw!?!? The company that made him a millionaire and is the only reason why he keeps getting to cash big fat checks??? Hahaha yah what a screw job!!! They could of hand picked almost anyone to give the streak to but they chose Goldberg. Without it he's nothing. 

Bret Hart was arguably the best wrestler in the world for a time (also crap on the mic, FYI). Didnt prevent him from getting screwed by creative. 

I do agree he was and is a draw and is immensely popular. Personally I was just always a macho Man, DDP, NWO, flair and sting fan in wcw hey day. But yah I can't deny he was one of the faces of the Monday night wars for sure.

He was one of the few things WCW got right. Initially, the NWO was too, but it were out it's welcome and the guys doing creative (a few of whom happened to be in the NWO) booked themselves into a corner. Wrestling sucks when only the heels win. 

19 minutes ago, AUDub said:

He wasn't asked to. It's not what the character is. Could he have? Maybe, but his character was always intended to be a monster that squashes people. He was plenty athletic enough.

Neither of us can answer that, and he wouldn't be Goldberg at that point.

A lot of the greatest wrestlers of all time were crap on the mic. Benoit, Warrior, Luger, the Hardy's,. They all sucked with the mic in hand. 

That's not a strike. 

Bull. Ryback is a poor man's expy for those too young to be marks on it.

Bull. For instance, name a WCW made star that didn't get screwed in the "invasion" angle aside from the ones that came over early.

"Hang with the big boys" lol. In a kayfabe sport. This might be the worst argument you could have made. Vince made it absolutely clear that he wanted to cast his guys as superior during that angle. 

Why should Goldberg be any different? Easy answer. They didn't want him to "hang with the big boys."

Bret Hart was arguably the best wrestler in the world for a time (also crap on the mic, FYI). Didnt prevent him from getting screwed by creative. 

He was one of the few things WCW got right. Initially, the NWO was too, but it were out it's welcome and the guys doing creative (a few of whom happened to be in the NWO) booked themselves into a corner. Wrestling sucks when only the heels win. 

Lol See that's the thing!!! You just named guys who could actually do 1 thing really really well!!!! They at least could wrestle!!! Goldberg can't talk or wrestle. He has the look that's it. Without having the ultimate rocket strapped to his back push with winning 172 straight matches to open his career or whatever it was he never remotely gets close to the level of stardom he achieved. The push made the star. The star didn't make the push. 

He wasn't one of the ones who initially first came over. He got to wait it out till his contract with AOL time Warner expired like almost all the other big names. He didn't debut till the raw after mania 19. The only 2 who were established big names at the time who came over in the invasion angle was DDP and Booker T. The rest were mid card guys and jobbers for the most part. DDP they actually did wrong and do dirty. I'm still pissed about that. But my other guy Booker T is still going strong and flirted with the main event scene a few times in his WWE career. He has had a consistent job with WWE since he came over almost 20 years ago. They gave him a huge push when he first got to the WWE. He got to beat the freaking Rock in his first ppv match clean as a whistle. They gave him the belt. It didn't take. He crashed and burned as champ. They gave him every opportunity to become a big star in the WWE. But the fans were over his shtick.

Lol I'm glad you mentioned Bret Hart!!! Ask him how he feels about Goldberg. Him being a terrible wrestler and incredibly green and inexperienced ended his in ring career. 

Edited by GwillMac6

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol See that's the thing!!! You just named guys who could actually do 1 thing really really well!!!! They at least could wrestle!!! Goldberg can't talk or wrestle. He has the look that's it. Without having the ultimate rocket strapped to his back push with winning 172 straight matches to open his career or whatever it was he never remotely gets close to the level of stardom he achieved. The push made the star. The star didn't make the push. 

Saying Warrior could wrestle is the most laughable argument you could have made.

He worked because he looked like a monster and had a schtick, just like Goldberg. If anything, he made even less sense because of how much of an abject (but entertaining) catastrophe he was on the mic.

Everything you're saying applies to him just as much as Goldberg.

He wasn't one of the ones who initially first came over. He got to wait it out till his contract with AOL time Warner expired like almost all the other big names. He didn't debut till the raw after mania 19. The only 2 who were established big names at the time who came over in the invasion angle was DDP and Booker T. The rest were mid card guys and jobbers for the most part. DDP they actually did wrong and do dirty. I'm still pissed about that. But my other guy Booker T is still going strong and flirted with the main event scene a few times in his WWE career. He has had a consistent job with WWE since he came over almost 20 years ago. They gave him a huge push when he first got to the WWE. He got to beat the freaking Rock in his first ppv match clean as a whistle. They gave him the belt. It didn't take. He crashed and burned as champ. They gave him every opportunity to become a big star in the WWE. But the fans were over his shtick.

LOL. I loved Booker T. The 7 match series he had with Benoit in the late 90s is one of my top 5 wrestling memories.

Also of note, one of the few with a clean win over Goldberg on his resume.

But, come on, man. It didnt matter. Vince ruined the Invasion angle out of ego. It's painfully obvious. 

Lol I'm glad you mentioned Bret Hart!!! Ask him how he feels about Goldberg. Him being a terrible wrestler and incredibly green and inexperienced ended his in ring career. 

Name a wrestler that has never botched a move. Hell, Bret's own brother, an exceedingly talented wrestler, broke Stone Cold's neck. 

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Saying Warrior could wrestle is the most laughable argument you could have made.

He worked because he looked like a monster and had a schtick, just like Goldberg. If anything, he made even less sense because of how much of an abject (but entertaining) catastrophe he was on the mic.

Everything you're saying applies to him just as much as Goldberg.

LOL. I loved Booker T. The 7 match series he had with Benoit in the late 90s is one of my top 5 wrestling memories.

Also of note, one of the few with a clean win over Goldberg on his resume.

But, come on, man. It didnt matter. Vince ruined the Invasion angle out of ego. It's painfully obvious. 

Name a wrestler that has never botched a move. Hell, Bret's own brother, an exceedingly talented wrestler, broke Stone Cold's neck. 

Well i didn't see that you named warrior and grouped him in there. He absolutely was one of the worst wrestlers to ever be in the main event scene. No argument from me. Glad though you can see the painfully obvious flaws in warrior at least!!! Hahaha. That brings me great joy.

At the end of the day I just freaking hate Goldberg. Your a big fan. So keep enjoying this nostalgia they are milking out of him. I will just keep screaming to get him off my screen!!! Lol

What ultimately hurt Goldberg and the company(WCW) was not just ending the streak but how they immediately turned around after Nash ended Goldberg's streak and then let Nash lay down for Hogan to get the title back(Finger Poke of Doom). That moment while it was clearly a bad decision at the time ended up being a reason why WCW's ratings continued to go down. WWE had just let Mick Foley win the WWE title while WCW was showing how much of stranglehold Hogan and company still had in WCW. When you bury your hottest star just to let Hogan and NWO keep running the show it made fans feel like why am I watching this? The NWO started in 1996 and by January 1999 Nash was the leader of the Red and Black/Wolfpack and Hogan was over the Black and White Hollywood NWO. When Nash laid down for Hogan to unify both groups I think fans had grown tired of the NWO and were wanting something different. The NWO had run it's course but Bischoff was still trying to milk it instead of trying to push new stars or keep guys like Goldberg as a threat to the NWO.

Almost every WCW person that came over to WWE was buried or misused besides Goldberg, and I'd include Booker T but he didn't really get a proper run with a world title until his King Booker gimmick in 2006. Even Sting, almost 15 years after WCW went out of business finally came over in 2015 just to job to HHH. What a joke. They made Sting look like an absolute idiot at WM 31. HHH hit him with the sledgehammer and then Sting  shakes his hand after he beats him like that? lol....... even 15 years later Vince had to remind people that WWE beat WCW by having Sting job to HHH.... Yuck....

That's why AEW is so desperately needed right now. Vince has sucked the life out the wrestling business and he relies so much on past guys like Goldberg, Brock, Undertaker, and now Edge and Cena are back too. The last 10+ years Vince has wasted more talent than you can imagine. That's why the star power is lacking in WWE. They've tried to push Roman Reigns down the fans throats the last 5 years but at least half the fans can't get behind him. Reigns is not very good on the mic so the fans can see right through him as being pushed down their throats. Reigns can get title shots without having to win a #1 contenders match. He gets title shots because he's Roman Reigns not because he has to actually earn them in the ring. It's hard to build an underdog type superhero when the guy's literally just given title matches and doesn't have to earn them. His character still relies on his old Shield gimmick. He's never evolved his character like Rollins and Moxley did.

WWE's system is broken. They can't create big stars anymore because they don't teach them how to become a big star. They're just taught the conditioning part and how to do moves. The actual characters and gimmicks are given to them. They don't come up with them on their own anymore. It's not organic. Everything is so scripted and all the promos are written for everyone so they can't mold or create their own stuff. The Rock, Stone Cold, Mick Foley, HHH, Cena, etc.... those guys feel real because they molded part of their real selves into their characters. That's why they got over and connected with fans. They weren't just reading stupid scripts that someone wrote for them. They could cut promos off the cuff because they were able to use their characters as an extension of themselves.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Elaborately put.  I would also add about the promo stuff.  Just recently as this week,  Brodie Lee interviewed on Jericho podcast about his arrival in AEW.  With no crowds Kahn told Brodie he could wait, but Brodie wanted to do it. So they asked him to do a promo for his intro.  BL asked what do they want in the promo. AEW told Brodie whatever you want to put into it, it's your promo.  Brodie then got anxious because he knew it would be on him, and whatever resulted would be solely on his character choices. But that's what makes AEW organic! They have a pulse on the wrestling community and allow creative freedom within the general scope.  Makes you as a fan want to tune into these characters stories. 

• Thanks 1

AEW announces a new championship belt - TNT CHAMPIONSHIP. Brackets to be announced on 3/31 Dark and 4/1 Dynamite. Tournament begins 4/8.

Edited by Paladin

Not sure how I feel about this TNT belt.  No doubt it will create some higher stakes matches, similar to other secondary belts.  I just think it may be too early for a 2nd singles belt.  I saw it somewhere suggested a Trio Championship. That would be different, revolutionary, and perfect for AEW. That's what I want now that I have heard the suggestion.  They have several trios already established.  Maybe with a few different rules to allow for the triple tag moves. 

Maybe this TNT championship was created for a way to give Cody a belt. Idk. I will still be watching to see though. 

Raw had some great promo work this week. Especially Taker and Edge. 

15 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not sure how I feel about this TNT belt.  No doubt it will create some higher stakes matches, similar to other secondary belts.  I just think it may be too early for a 2nd singles belt.  I saw it somewhere suggested a Trio Championship. That would be different, revolutionary, and perfect for AEW. That's what I want now that I have heard the suggestion.  They have several trios already established.  Maybe with a few different rules to allow for the triple tag moves. 

Maybe this TNT championship was created for a way to give Cody a belt. Idk. I will still be watching to see though. 

I would like to see Darby Allin with the belt. He is a future top guy and having the TNT Championship belt would help elevate him even more.

Be interesting to see the dynamic of Tully and Arn being in opposite corners (if they are able to make the tapings) for the Spears/Cody match.

• Like 1

I agree Darby is their most rising star.  Would not be surprised to see him win this.  I think if this title is played up as a stepping stone to the world title then yes.  I do think this belt needs to be defended often nearly every week.  Make it a true TNT title being defended on Dynamite.  Then the World title can continue to be used more sparingly as contenders fight for the right to challenge the Champ.  Maybe that's the idea behind it. 

Yes, Tully vs Arn is a nice touch since this is the first true meeting since Arn interfered. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

Forgot about Archer squash match debut. Yes! Im ready. 

Mania weekend starts today! Interested to see how "outside the box" Wrestlemania is this weekend.  Hunter has made references we would be pleasantly surprised.  We'll see.  What match steals the show? Card below.  

SmartSelect_20200404-094546_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200404-094603_Chrome.jpg

KO vs Seth could be a surprise.  I like these build for Taker and AJ. AJ could help the UT overcome father time to give a good show and I think the match will be good.  I think best match will go to Edge and Orton. With the women, Charlotte vs Rhea will be best.  Thoughts? 

• Love 1

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Mania weekend starts today! Interested to see how "outside the box" Wrestlemania is this weekend.  Hunter has made references we would be pleasantly surprised.  We'll see.  What match steals the show? Card below.  

SmartSelect_20200404-094546_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200404-094603_Chrome.jpg

KO vs Seth could be a surprise.  I like these build for Taker and AJ. AJ could help the UT overcome father time to give a good show and I think the match will be good.  I think best match will go to Edge and Orton. With the women, Charlotte vs Rhea will be best.  Thoughts? 

I am just here to watch GOLDBERG LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which probaly is not happening anymore since they NEVER EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR strap the rocket to the back of Braun!!!!!!! so UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH We are stuck with Bill as champ for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time and it freaking sucks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

50 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am just here to watch GOLDBERG LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which probaly is not happening anymore since they NEVER EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR strap the rocket to the back of Braun!!!!!!! so UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH We are stuck with Bill as champ for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time and it freaking sucks maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Watch your tongue or Charlotte and Daniel will lose!  I already know Becky will lose but then she can beat up on Charlotte again lol

Just kidding my man.  Actually just looking forward to a hopefully good show.