2020 5* PG Sharife Cooper Commits to AU! (9/27)

ellitor

7 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

This. Would love to see him and Okoro on the same court . 

I doubt it's gonna happen but I was watching one of Jay G Tate's Brain Drain's and he mentioned that Okoro REALLY wants to do everything he can to play with Cooper. I can't fault the kid for bolting to the NBA but from the way Jay said it was he really thinks there's a small chance Okoro stays.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I doubt it's gonna happen but I was watching one of Jay G Tate's Brain Drain's and he mentioned that Okoro REALLY wants to do everything he can to play with Cooper. I can't fault the kid for bolting to the NBA but from the way Jay said it was he really thinks there's a small chance Okoro stays.

Just for anyone who is curious and wants to hear what Jay said I've linked the video below with time stamp.

41 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

41:14 Not sure why it didn't.

Nevermind. It did. I clicked on the wrong thing, lol

Sharife Cooper named McDonald's All American

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 30 minutes ago 

Share1 Comments

Sharife Cooper, Auburn's 5-star point guard signee from Powder Springs (Ga.) McEachern, is a high school hoops legend. And before he arrives at college, he will have a chance to showcase his talents on a very big national stage.

Cooper on Thursday was selected to play in the prestigious McDonald's All American Game, arguably the most well-known high school all-star competition regardless of sport.

According to the McDonald's All American Game official website, Cooper is only the third Auburn signee ever selected to play in the game. He joins guard Frank Ford in 1983 and power forward Korvotney Barber in 2005.

Keith Niebuhr✔@Keith247Sports

He can make things happen fast, @CooperSharife ...

7:56 PM - Jan 14, 2020

Twitter Ads info and privacy

See Keith Niebuhr's other Tweets

Ford, who passed away in 2018, was a standout for the Tigers in the mid-to-late '80s.

Barber averaged 10.9 points and 7.2 rebounds a game during his four-year career at Auburn. He drowned in the Gulf of Mexico near Panama City Beach, Florida in 2013.

The McDonald's All American Game game will be played at the Toyota Center in Houston, Texas on April 1. Full rosters HERE. 

Cooper, ranked as the No. 18 prospect nationally in the industry generated 247Sports Composite, stands 6-feet tall and weighs just 160 pounds but the player who often is the smallest on the court, has a big game — and a ton of heart. A year ago, he was named the USA Today National Player of the Year after leading McEachern to a 32-0 season that included a state championship. Two-thirds of the way through his senior season, Cooper is averaging more than 28 points per game. His team, which graduated players such as current Auburn standout Isaac Okorofrom the previous season, is 14-5 against a national schedule.

Here's our recent Q&A with Cooper's high school coach, Mike Thompson.

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: You’ve been around Sharife for a long time … what is Auburn getting in him as a player, as a person?

THOMPSON: You know what, he’s a hard worker. He stays in the gym a lot. He’s a gym rat. IQ is really high. He comes from a good family. He does the right thing. And I think that’s important in college athletics. (Isaac) Okoro and him are good buddies. Babatunde (Akingbola) — Stretch — all those guys were here. They have a special relationship and they do a good job of doing the right thing character wise.

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: You lost some really good players from last season’s state championship team. How is Sharife handling that and has he had to take on a new role?

THOMPSON: It’s been a little bit frustrating for him. I think a kid like him who all of his buddies are gone, I kind of think some days he has one foot at Auburn and one foot here. He played so long with Alyn Breed (a Providence signee now at IMG Academy in Florida) and (Quinton) McElroy and Okoro and Stretch and Jared Jones (now at Northwestern) — and all those guys are gone. He played with them his whole life.

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: So it’s an adjustment period …

THOMPSON: Tremendous adjustment. And he’s handled it really well. Don’t think he’s played nearly as well this year as he did last year. But he had a lot of comfort in what he was doing last year and it was a little bit different. Just trying to do more than he probably should. Taking bad shots sometimes because, you know, he wants to do it himself sometimes. He hates to lose. And we’ve lost four games — that’s a tremendous amount for him.

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: He’s obviously an immense talent … what are his best traits?

THOMPSON: His IQ offensively is tremendous. He can see the floor extremely well. His handle on the ball is really really good. And, he’s fast with the ball. He really passes people and gets up and down the floor a lot. So he has a lot of speed. His offensive game, I think it’ll be great for setting people up at Auburn. I don’t think he’ll score near as much but he won’t have to. I think he’ll be tremendous at handling pressure and getting the ball to people.

1COMMENTS

AUBURN UNDERCOVER: Tonight (Tuesday) wasn’t his best shooting night, but then you look up and he finished with a quiet — if there is such a thing — 24 points. How does he do it night in and night out?

THOMPSON: He can score quick now and at this level he can get to the basket. In college, I don’t know if he’s going to be able to do that so much. I think he’s going to be more of a perimeter guy. He may be able to surprise me and do that more as he gets stronger. But his ability to handle the game and manage the game is — nobody close to him.

I liked his coach's assessment. Often times HS coaches only say how great he is.  He did say that but he also mentioned that he played better last year when he had better players around him so he presses some now and he also mentioned that he probably would not be able to go to the rack as much in college until he gets stronger. Then he mentioned how fast he is and what a great handle he has and that he will setup other players. Because the coach did not sugarcoat everything I am even more impressed by the coach and Sharife.  I can't wait to see him next year.

He will have some talent when he gets here. We have had Flanagan star in a game, Johnson star in a game and now Cambridge all three will be better and more consistent next year. We have two other players on the roster this year who I expect we will be pleasantly surprised by Jaylin Williams who has really impressed me in the little we have seen of him and Javon Franklin who is Redshirting and I think will have an impact.  Stretch will give us some good minutes and bad minutes as he is still learning the game but will get better as the year progresses next year.  Powell who is coming in with Sharife will give us a well needed pure shooter with good height for a SG and some ball handling skills and from what I have seen a great Basketball IQ.  Now we need 2-3 talented players more in this class.

YES! YES! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another step in the evolution and revolution of Auburn Basketball!!!! LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only our Third McDonalds All American in program History!!! HELL YAH!!!!!! I FREAKING LOVE IT!!! Congrats to our guy COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP who has been recruiting his ass off for us and been all AU for quite some time now even if he was not committed yet. If we get Jalen Green and other blue chip prospects in the coming months Coop will have played a huge part in that!!!

By willmclaughlin  

On Thursday, the rosters for the McDonald’s All-American Game were released to the public and Auburn will have their 1st player playing in the game since 2005.

Point Guard Sharife Cooper, Auburn’s highest ranked signee in program history, made the cut for the prestigious McDonald’s All-American Game. This year’s game will be held in Houston, Texas on Wednesday, April 1st.

Cooper becomes just the 3rd Auburn signee to be selected for the All-American game.

While Auburn will have at least one player in the game, there is the potential the Tigers have 1 or 2 more players in this game as well, with both Jalen Green and Greg Brown still undecided on their college destination. Both still have Auburn on their short lists of schools they are considering.

Auburn is 1 of 3 SEC schools, joining Kentucky and Tennessee, with players on this year’s roster.

Congratulations to Sharife and all of the players who were selected!

And to think he's probably a 3-4 year player.  It's going to be a new era if we can add a few more pieces to help him out.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

If we get Jalen Green

And a 4th Auburn McD AA. Double the Ronald’s in 1 year Woop woop!

EC9D3EDA-9694-4D28-8B1D-6874444A8D72.jpeg

Dwight Howard showing some love to our guy coooooop!!!!

Screenshot_20200123-202524.png

6 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Cooper makes McDonald’s All American team!!!!

In honor of this awesome achievement for Sharife here's one of my favorite commercials.

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

And to think he's probably a 3-4 year player.

Not sure about that. I'd hope for 2 then go from there.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

In honor of this awesome achievement for Sharife here's one of my favorite commercials.

Why the angry @GwillMac6? One can love Lebron & enjoy the classics.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Why the angry @GwillMac6? One can love Lebron & enjoy the classics.

Nope.

4 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

And to think he's probably a 3-4 year player.  It's going to be a new era if we can add a few more pieces to help him out.

Definitely think we'll get him for 2. Not a chance in hell he tries the '21 class. This mock has him going 12th in the 22 class though http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-nba-mock-draft.html

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Definitely think we'll get him for 2. Not a chance in hell he tries the '21 class. This mock has him going 12th in the 22 class though http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-nba-mock-draft.html

I would gladly take 2 years from him. That would be amazing and so clutch for AU.

Love love ❤️ I freaking looooooove how so many of our current team showed some love to Coooooooop on his big day!!!!!! This really is a tight knit group and family!!!! Wooooooo!!!!!! Let's goooooooooo!!!!

Screenshot_20200123-235603.png

Screenshot_20200123-235556.png

Screenshot_20200123-235533.png

Screenshot_20200123-235525.png

Screenshot_20200123-235529.png

Archived