Urban Meyer's downfall?

Auburn2Eugene

Man, pretty damaging things being said about Urbans program. Seems like atleast this stuff could be used against Ohio State in the recruiting wars if Urban somehow weasels his way out of this.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I think it may apply because Zach Smith was an employee of OSU.

I took a look at the site and it applies to equal opportunity issues and covers employees as well as students ….but nothing I've read about this case  would lead me to believe the wife would be protected by Title IX........just an abusive husband who was covered for by his employer.  

But that is more than good enough reason to cut him loose.....just saying that I don't see Title IX or the Feds involved in this. 

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I took a look at the site and it applies to equal opportunity issues and covers employees as well as students ….but nothing I've read about this case  would lead me to believe the wife would be protected by Title IX........just an abusive husband who was covered for by his employer.  

But that is more than good enough reason to cut him loose.....just saying that I don't see Title IX or the Feds involved in this. 

Urbans wife is also an employee of the school, and she is accused of also knowing of the abuse!

Sounds like a big lawsuit waiting to happen and tOSU is going to do all the investigation work for Ms. Smith and her Lawyers. I wonder how much the out of court settlement will be?

9 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Urbans wife is also an employee of the school, and she is accused of also knowing of the abuse!

Sounds like a big lawsuit waiting to happen and tOSU is going to do all the investigation work for Ms. Smith and her Lawyers. I wonder how much the out of court settlement will be?

I can see lots of problems for tOSU….just suggesting that Title IX and the Feds are not likely to be involved. ….which is very little consolation to the abused wife though I wonder why it took so long for this to become a public issue.  

added comment.....if the abused wife did not make a complaint or something, not sure what the obligation of Urban's wife would be?   

49 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I was wrong

Is OSU at risk of a Title IX lawsuit from Courtney Smith?

In short, no. According to the attorney: “There’s not necessarily a Title IX claim here. The spouse of Zach Smith could not file suit against the university.” The reason, according to the attorney, is that Courtney Smith is not a student at Ohio State and not seeking an education, which means she is unlikely to make a successful Title IX claim against the school.

Urban Meyer is considered a mandatory reporter under Ohio State’s Sexual Misconduct Policy. He’s required to report all violations of domestic misconduct under the university’s Title IX policy, which the policy says includes “sexual harassment, sexual violence, relationship violence, and stalking.”

This means the investigation, at its core, will likely hinge on the extent of Meyer’s knowledge and how he handled reporting it. “You have to report all violations of sexual misconduct, even those regarding third parties,” said the lawyer, who declined to be named.

What was Urban Meyer obligated to report?

In April, the university extended Urban Meyer’s contract through 2023 and bumped his salary to $7.6 million for the upcoming season. The contract extension included an added provision that could loom large if the university decides to part ways with Meyer.

Ohio State would owe Meyer nearly $38 million if they fire him without cause, but that scenario is unlikely. The contract addendum states that Meyer has to report a “known violation” of Title IX and defines it as “a violation or an allegation of a violation of Title IX that Coach is aware of or has a reasonable cause to believe is taking place or may have taken place.” Included in the provision are: “Sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, intimate violence and stalking.” Meyer is obligated to report to Ohio State’s Title IX coordinator or deputy Title IX coordinator.

The added provision also covers Meyer’s time at Ohio State and elsewhere: “Encompasses findings or determinations of violations during employment of Coach at Ohio State or any institution of higher learning.” Legally, if Ohio State finds a violation, multiple lawyers told there’s ample legal justification to fire him for cause.

5 hours ago, au701948 said:

Yep..another example of a fine upstanding individual...NOT!

just remember folks a whole lot of folks were speaking out in favor of dumping gus and hiring lane before he beat bama and jawja. i do not think he is ready yet but i could be wrong.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:46 PM, keesler said:

At the end of the day, does a boss/supervisor have any legal duty to disclose incidents such as this when the victim didn't press charges? 

From my understanding, he did have a contractual obligation that wasn’t conditioned on criminality or an allegation of such - as some sexual acts are civil (not criminal) in nature. 

In short, yes, UM could very well have had a legal obligation of disclosure. 

7 hours ago, keesler said:

The timing is horrible, even worse than the Bobby Petrino termination at Arky.  There's no way the OSU Admin could've prepared for something of this magnitude a month before the season kicks off.  On the other hand, OSU is several notches above Arky's level and they may have better opportunities than having to settle for a "John L Smith" type interim on such short notice for an entire season.  Who knows?

Bob Stoops?  He's from Ohio.

Then there is this:

Ohio State announced a special working group Thursday night that will direct the investigation into football coach Urban Meyer.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24269311/ohio-state-announces-group-direct-urban-meyer-investigation

So....Any chance they investigate and determine he didn't know?

Keeping quiet about something like this as a mandatory reporter is enough on its own to warrant a firing imo. On top of that, the accused person also works for the mandatory reporter? Fired. Other than hearsay or testimonials, can they prove Urban knew about it? Don’t know about that, but tOSU won’t press their luck with this

6 minutes ago, djg0017 said:

Keeping quiet about something like this as a mandatory reporter is enough on its own to warrant a firing imo. On top of that, the accused person also works for the mandatory reporter? Fired. Other than hearsay or testimonials, can they prove Urban knew about it? Don’t know about that, but tOSU won’t press their luck with this

Everything you’re saying makes perfect sense, but if that’s the case, why set up a... Special Working Group?

Some pretty high powered people on that committee.  I don’t in any way view that committee as a rubber stamp.  On the contrary, I suspect UM and probably others have some serious tightening of sphincter muscles. 

45 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Everything you’re saying makes perfect sense, but if that’s the case, why set up a... Special Working Group?

Not sure what all they will be sifting through, but I’m sure they will be looking to paint the least-bad picture they can both for the university and for Urban. May well end up as a case of “Well we aren’t declaring Urban guilty and he maintains that he is innocent, but he has nevertheless decided to resign/retire” yada yada yada blah blah blah. Might be the best way to avoid any further action towards the university itself.

But yeah Special Working Group...that’s about all I can get from whatever the heck that is ?

As much as I don’t care for Urban, he should not be the story. Zach Smith has been pummeling his wife for years and should be behind bars. That should be the story. Urban’s pics and video snippets filled the TV screens all day yesterday, when it should’ve been Smith’s mug. 

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

Meyer is contractually obligated to report incidents such as the alleged abuse by Zach Smith to the OSU Title IX representative at OSU.  Failure to do so, is grounds for termination with cause.

3 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

As much as I don’t care for Urban, he should not be the story. Zach Smith has been pummeling his wife for years and should be behind bars. That should be the story. Urban’s pics and video snippets filled the TV screens all day yesterday, when it should’ve been Smith’s mug. 

Hear, hear. Unfortunately nobody cares who Zach Smith or his wife are beyond how it affects OSU football. Even more unfortunately- not that I have to tell you or anyone else- this type of abuse is extremely widespread and the victims usually don't even have that much of a platform, nor the resources or safety net that Smith's wife does to deal with it. 

My take/ prediction; is he is cleared and running practice in less than a week. 

I don’t like Myer. I don’t excuse spousal abuse. I do suspect there may be a situation that this woman is not altogether believed by those around her. Not putting it on the victim but I know “victims “ myself who are over dramatic, even bipolar or suffer some other mental illness and constantly create something out of nothing. The fact that charges were always dropped or several times he was not even arrested makes me wonder if this could be possible. I’m not saying this IS the case but it certainly is a possibility and I guarantee it’s exactly what Urban and these people who did nothing thought at the time. 

2 hours ago, keesler said:

Meyer is contractually obligated to report incidents such as the alleged abuse by Zach Smith to the OSU Title IX representative at OSU.  Failure to do so, is grounds for termination with cause.

JMO but who he reports to is an administrative thing and does not mean that a Title IX violation has to be involved...….though I bet his lawyer argues that since the Smith thing was personal and not university related (other than him  being an employee) that UM was not obligated to report it..... and will try to negotiate his settlement accordingly.    But....expecting him to get fired soon as the paperwork is worked out....and doubt the Feds will get involved.. :dunno:

29 minutes ago, alexava said:

My take/ prediction; is he is cleared and running practice in less than a week. 

I don’t like Myer. I don’t excuse spousal abuse. I do suspect there may be a situation that this woman is not altogether believed by those around her. Not putting it on the victim but I know “victims “ myself who are over dramatic, even bipolar or suffer some other mental illness and constantly create something out of nothing. The fact that charges were always dropped or several times he was not even arrested makes me wonder if this could be possible. I’m not saying this IS the case but it certainly is a possibility and I guarantee it’s exactly what Urban and these people who did nothing thought at the time. 

Not really arguing here bc not sure what my opinion is but what about the pics ? Some one clearly left bruises on her neck.

If I am a superior of Urban such as an AD or president then I’m firing him if only for the sake of keeping my own job. After the cleansing of staff at Penn St, Baylor, Sparty for their respective scandals I wouldn’t bet my job on a proven sketchy guy’s innocence

48 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Not really arguing here bc not sure what my opinion is but what about the pics ? Some one clearly left bruises on her neck.

Yes. I understand. My theory is just that. I can’t actually argue it except I know couples who carried this s*** on for over 20 years. 

The only two pictures I saw showed redness and whelps on the neck and arm. Possibly a pretense to domestic murder, but I have seen much worse that was totally self inflicted. 

38 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd have imagine the Meyer's lawyer is just as busy building a defense for Shelley Meyer as well.  Her responsibility as it relates to her employment at OSU as a nurse and the obligations and responsibilities her profession carries relative to the victims claims/allegations are just as serious as her husband's, even more so to an extent.

This. How can she, as a nurse, not have let Meyer know, that hey, Urban, Smith is up to it again. Considering Smith's history of abusing his wife.

Archived