2021 5* UNC Transfer C Walker Kessler (4/12/21: Commits To AU!)

AuburnArch13

11 minutes ago, smithsaufan1345162789 said:

I was told Kessler too. But I believe that Gurley is more likely though but that is my opinion. I wish we could get both. Stretch isn't panning out. 

With Sharife gone, I hope that opens the opportunity to ask him to look for other opportunities 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smithsaufan1345162789 said:

Stretch isn't panning out. 

Yeah but Bruce loves him. Not sure he's going anywhere.

You guys don’t give up on stretch just yet. He can be a big asset on the defensive side with a bit more playing experience. I hope a normal offseason of work will do him wonders. He can be a glue kind of guy and we need some of those on the team. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

You guys don’t give up on stretch just yet. He can be a big asset on the defensive side with a bit more playing experience. I hope a normal offseason of work will do him wonders. He can be a glue kind of guy and we need some of those on the team. 

I hear you and I really want this to be true, but... man he needs to be better. One of the last games of the season he was 0-4 with one missed dunk, two missed layups and one jumper that missed everything. Also fumbled some decent feeds. He would have to rebound like mad and block a lot more shots to make up for that sort of offense. It's like playing 4 on 5. 

18 hours ago, Sani-Freeze said:

I hear you and I really want this to be true, but... man he needs to be better. One of the last games of the season he was 0-4 with one missed dunk, two missed layups and one jumper that missed everything. Also fumbled some decent feeds. He would have to rebound like mad and block a lot more shots to make up for that sort of offense. It's like playing 4 on 5. 

Yep, just being born really tall doesn’t cut it. I’m fine either way, but there is no doubt in my mind we could find a stronger player to fill his spot. 

I think we got some glue guys who are actually good at the SEC level...Cambridge and Cardwell fit that mold 

Stretch literally cannot matchup unless ur a floor bound center and play exclusively around the rim. There's a reason that cat from Missouri was the only matchup he excelled in. Any situation where he was in a pick and roll, he's either LENGTHING his way into a block or he's fouling (or getting blown by). He just can't move well enough

55 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think we got some glue guys who are actually good at the SEC level...Cambridge and Cardwell fit that mold 

Stretch literally cannot matchup unless ur a floor bound center and play exclusively around the rim. There's a reason that cat from Missouri was the only matchup he excelled in. Any situation where he was in a pick and roll, he's either LENGTHING his way into a block or he's fouling (or getting blown by). He just can't move well enough

This. I had high hopes for Akingbola but  he is not very skilled and he also plays soft. He’s never going to be highly productive offensively but he needs to be a stopper on defense. Currently, he is neither, he is just a guy that is a good locker room guy. Roster spots are too valuable to have that as your primary “skill set”.

• Like 1

Sorry for what might be the kiss of death but JLee thinks Kessler commits by Sunday & he likes AU's chances.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

I hope Kessler comes, but the reality is, if Thor returns, Kessler isn’t starting in Auburn next year. Williams is too important a defensive cog with Thor and Smith occupying the forward slots. But he’d thrive as our first big off the bench. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I hope Kessler comes, but the reality is, if Thor returns, Kessler isn’t starting in Auburn next year. Williams is too important a defensive cog with Thor and Smith occupying the forward slots. But he’d thrive as our first big off the bench. 

Well...the reality is that we could legitimately put Jabari, or maybe even Thor, at the 3 and start Kessler at the 5, then maybe have Flanigan at the 2 and just have a giant lineup. I'm sure Bruce wouldn't mold the starting lineup that way, but yeah, if he comes, Kessler will get a lot of minutes, no doubt.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Well...the reality is that we could legitimately put Jabari, or maybe even Thor, at the 3 and start Kessler at the 5, then maybe have Flanigan at the 2 and just have a giant lineup. I'm sure Bruce wouldn't mold the starting lineup that way, but yeah, if he comes, Kessler will get a lot of minutes, no doubt.

JMO, but I wonder if Kessler really doesn't want to play in Pearl's offense?

Granted he picked NC, a blue blood, and is seriously interested in Zaga, a modern blue blood to me, so it is tough for us anyway. But he still keeps us 2nd so far...just curious..

And if he has to play the 5 for us, does he feel Pearl will let him play inside out too, and shoot from outside, which is what he seems to be looking for. NC and Williams wanted him to stay down in the post...

15 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And if he has to play the 5 for us, does he feel Pearl will let him play inside out too, and shoot from outside, which is what he seems to be looking for. NC and Williams wanted him to stay down in the post...

Pretty sure Bruce encourages all his players to shoot the three if they have any proclivity to it.

• Like 1

If any coach would be ok with a big guy shooting outside it's Pearl. He was doing it before it was an in thing to do.

And like someone said earlier we have plenty of guys to plug in to fill out the roster. We actually will be extremely versatile defensively

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if Kessler really doesn't want to play in Pearl's offense?

He has no problem being in Bruce's off. That was why we were so close in getting him the first time. His family really like Bruce they was just concerned with the NCAA

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Kessler really doesn't want to play in Pearl's offense?

@steeleagle he wants to but we just may not be his top choice. That’s a part of recruiting. These kids will want to play for a number of schools but they can only choose one.

40 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But he still keeps us 2nd so far.

We don’t know that yet.

41 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And if he has to play the 5 for us, does he feel Pearl will let him play inside out too, and shoot from outside, which is what he seems to be looking for

He should. Going back to his days at Tennessee coach Pearl has let every big man who showed they consistently shoot the three ball, shoot it.

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

He has no problem being in Bruce's off. That was why we were so close in getting him the first time. His family really like Bruce they was just concerned with the NCAA

@augolf1716 I was under the impression that Kessler went out on his own and chose UNC Apart from his family? Is that not correct?

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@augolf1716 I was under the impression that Kessler went out on his own and chose UNC Apart from his family? Is that not correct?

That's correct he just thought it was the best for him at the time. I'm just hoping he see the light now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Bruce’s office?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Imagine the realistic 6’10” combo of Kessler, jabari and Thor on the floor at the same time hitting 3’s and opening the lane.

Kessler is listed as 7'1.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

@steeleagle he wants to but we just may not be his top choice. That’s a part of recruiting. These kids will want to play for a number of schools but they can only choose one.

We don’t know that yet.

He should. Going back to his days at Tennessee coach Pearl has let every big man who showed they consistently shoot the three ball, shoot it.

Heck, Cardwell is 100% 3 point shooter.  A fadeaway at that lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1