2012 - hoping for the bottom to come out

Dual-Threat Rigby

I know its sports stigma to never hope for a team to tank for any reason...but there's non-pecuniary (non-wins in this context) benefits to just being terrible. If we miraculously turn that 2012 season around halfway win and make a bowl game with say a 6-6 season, this team would've been set back for years. It HAD to be as bad as it was for a change

Now I dont desire a 3 win season ever. I dont want to lose by 40 to UGA and UA back to back. But the big boss we have here has a 32 million buyout under him. Now we could wait 2 years or this buyout to become malleable, but it'd probably be 2 of the most depressing years in Auburn history. When you fire him immediately, you have to think though, can this guy inspire enough faith to sell tickets (basically a parallel to the aformentioned scenario) and bring the various TV/main event revenues that come with being a good team (think 2013 Auburn, main event 6 out of 12 games I believe). I'll leave it to you to decide if someone like that exists, but I just want y'all to know that's what required, and the only bridge to even consider such a candidate comes with a non bowl game type season, with several more embarrassing losses. We had like 7 of em in 2012. 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I know its sports stigma to never hope for a team to tank for any reason...but there's non-pecuniary (non-wins in this context) benefits to just being terrible. If we miraculously turn that 2012 season around halfway win and make a bowl game with say a 6-6 season, this team would've been set back for years. It HAD to be as bad as it was for a change

Now I dont desire a 3 win season ever. I dont want to lose by 40 to UGA and UA back to back. But the big boss we have here has a 32 million buyout under him. Now we could wait 2 years or this buyout to become malleable, but it'd probably be 2 of the most depressing years in Auburn history. When you fire him immediately, you have to think though, can this guy inspire enough faith to sell tickets (basically a parallel to the aformentioned scenario) and bring the various TV/main event revenues that come with being a good team (think 2013 Auburn, main event 6 out of 12 games I believe). I'll leave it to you to decide if someone like that exists, but I just want y'all to know that's what required, and the only bridge to even consider such a candidate comes with a non bowl game type season, with several more embarrassing losses. We had like 7 of em in 2012. 

well it fell out pretty quickly so, we already had the answer it seemed halfway in the season. 2008 i did want a change though. And yes i do this time. just like last year and 2015-2016.

I JUST FIGURE WITH THAT CONTRACT DEBACLE STILL SO FRESH IN MY MIND IT WOULD BE LAST YEAR AS WELL FOR AU AND THE DECISION MAKERS.. APPARENTLY NOT. I cringed when it got signed and yelled for a while. as you can see.

12 minutes ago, beaumak said:

well it fell out pretty quickly so, we already had the answer it seemed halfway in the season. 2008 i did want a change though. And yes i do this time. just like last year and 2015-2016.

I JUST FIGURE WITH THAT CONTRACT DEBACLE STILL SO FRESH IN MY MIND IT WOULD BE LAST YEAR AS WELL FOR AU AND THE DECISION MAKERS.. APPARENTLY NOT. I cringed when it got signed and yelled for a while. as you can see.

2008 is a better comparison but I think people still held some hope out for Tubbs during the season, and that it was just a bad look. We knew Gene needed to GO (even though his tenure was marred by the Board affecting everything he wanted to do) as 2012 progressed. 

I destroyed a new gas grill during the vandy game that year's because I was too into that nail biter to remember to wrap pork in tin foil before trying to cook it over gas and that's when I decided I was ready for the bottom to fall out that year. Other than that I've never given up on an AU team.

• WarTiger changed the title to 2012 - hoping for the bottom to come out
53 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I destroyed a new gas grill during the vandy game that year's because I was too into that nail biter to remember to wrap pork in tin foil before trying to cook it over gas and that's when I decided I was ready for the bottom to fall out that year. Other than that I've never given up on an AU team.

Admirable, Ill give you that 

20 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if we lost to liberty, is it possible that coach malfeasance would be canned in spite of the ridiculous contract buyout?...serious question

More importantly...

If Gus lost to Turner Gill.... would SE Alabama explode?

11 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

More importantly...

If Gus lost to Turner Gill.... would SE Alabama explode?

I knew somebody wanted turner gill at AU as bad as I did . Lol

41 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

if we lost to liberty, is it possible that coach malfeasance would be canned in spite of the ridiculous contract buyout?...serious question

dover, I have no inside information by any stretch, but if this thing keeps going like it is, I don't think AU can afford to KEEP him. He's lost the fanbase and I don't think he can get it back.

56 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

Libby did beat Troy...it’s in the realm of reality unfortunately 

Maybe splitting hairs, but right now this feels more like 2008 to me because the team is still fighting. But between the early transfers and now nagging injuries piling up, the talent is getting really thin at numerous positions. It's going to get even uglier before this season (mercifully) ends. 

I was dumb enough to think this was a minimum 9-win season with a decent chance at 10. Good grief. 

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I agree with you, DTR. Except that the replacement for that 2012 disaster is the present disaster. 

Should have been Kirby.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Should have been Kirby.

Out of likes E but +1,000,000 we’ll regret that for quite some time.

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Dude, Kirby would have bolted Auburn for UGA when Richt's job came open anyway. 

1 hour ago, passthebiscuits said:

I was told that we expressed interest to Kirby, but he did not want us back.

urequited love. Tale as old as time. 

I was told it was pretty much locked up but he didnt get football autonomy like Saban and access to the 2010 files on Cam (or something like that). Either way, UGA was his dream job and we probably would've had to give that man MILLIONS to keep him from going there 

7 hours ago, doug3020 said:

If we lose to Liberty I’d drive a Uhaul from Oklahoma to Auburn, Al.

You won't have to. There will be plenty a lot closer who will get there quicker. 

5 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was told it was pretty much locked up but he didnt get football autonomy like Saban and access to the 2010 files on Cam (or something like that). Either way, UGA was his dream job and we probably would've had to give that man MILLIONS to keep him from going there 

we are already spending the millions.  Atleast we would have gotten a solid coach for the money

11 hours ago, johnnyAU said:
12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Dude, Kirby would have bolted Auburn for UGA when Richt's job came open anyway. 

Not only that, but 6 years ago he probably didn't have Saban's trust as a true "disciple" yet so I'm not sure he knew the necessary Emmert skeletons required to recruit at the bammer level.  

I'm still not sold Kirby is anything special as a Gameday coach.... Look at last year's SECCG as Gus trotted out the same old game plan with broken RB and it still took bad AU plays for thUga to win.  And that's 3 weeks after the mutts didn't play that well and made so many mistakes to help AU beat them to a pulp.

Then, with thUga holding their own against the same ol tired bammer (w/ JH at QB) lil Nicky throws in a true freshman and Kirby's team wets the bed.

Now yesterday, you think Auburn made Orgeron look good?  Kirby made him look like the 2nd coming of Bahr.

Kirby might have mastered saban's recruiting "tricks" but I'm not sure why he's so revered on this board as the coach Auburn needed (keep in mind just about ANYBODY is better than Gus at this point).

And finally, if he WAS good, Johnny's right...he bolts for "home" the moment they call.

Kirby is not and was never the answer.  Much like saban, when Emmert is gone, recruiting will become a different ball game to those two chuckleheads.

JMO.

War Eagle!

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Access to the 2010 files on Cam? Has this turned into an X Files episode?

1 hour ago, selias said:

Access to the 2010 files on Cam? Has this turned into an X Files episode?

I could give him the files “Auburn didn’t do s*** but be the victim of a Bama funded smear campaign. Moo State was the one giving the old man some cash.”

2 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not only that, but 6 years ago he probably didn't have Saban's trust as a true "disciple" yet so I'm not sure he knew the necessary Emmert skeletons required to recruit at the bammer level.  

I'm still not sold Kirby is anything special as a Gameday coach.... Look at last year's SECCG as Gus trotted out the same old game plan with broken RB and it still took bad AU plays for thUga to win.  And that's 3 weeks after the mutts didn't play that well and made so many mistakes to help AU beat them to a pulp.

Then, with thUga holding their own against the same ol tired bammer (w/ JH at QB) lil Nicky throws in a true freshman and Kirby's team wets the bed.

Now yesterday, you think Auburn made Orgeron look good?  Kirby made him look like the 2nd coming of Bahr.

Kirby might have mastered saban's recruiting "tricks" but I'm not sure why he's so revered on this board as the coach Auburn needed (keep in mind just about ANYBODY is better than Gus at this point).

And finally, if he WAS good, Johnny's right...he bolts for "home" the moment they call.

Kirby is not and was never the answer.  Much like saban, when Emmert is gone, recruiting will become a different ball game to those two chuckleheads.

JMO.

War Eagle!

That true freshman could be the best UA QB of all time 

Kirby also managed to outplay a Baker led OU offense with JAKE FROMM. Literally the only reason they aren’t dominating games is because the nepotism fetish these Alabama coach spawns seem to have with lesser talented QBs just because they achieved something once. It took Hurts being irreparably bad for him to get subbed out, for example. If Fields was starting, it’d be GG

Archived