Pass Rush All Season....

tigerman1186

I know it is easy to sit in the stands or watch the game at home....but it seems we don't have much of a pass rush/QB pressure except against the piss-ants on the schedule where we just out physical them...it seems our only technique is to 'bull' rush, when we come in contact with the offensive lineman we stay engaged-pushing...I don't see any type of 'swim' technique and very few times do I see any types of 'twists' up front...we have very athletic defensive lineman, so I'm sure they can do more than just bull rush...

Regardless, appreciate all their effort on the field along with the coaches...

WDE 

1 minute ago, tigerman1186 said:

I know it is easy to sit in the stands or watch the game at home....but it seems we don't have much of a pass rush/QB pressure except against the piss-ants on the schedule where we just out physical them...it seems our only technique is to 'bull' rush, when we come in contact with the offensive lineman we stay engaged-pushing...I don't see any type of 'swim' technique and very few times do I see any types of 'twists' up front...we have very athletic defensive lineman, so I'm sure they can do more than just bull rush...

WDE 

Our DL was super hyped before the season. Didn’t perform up to expectations most all the season.

41 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

WDE 

Probably not popular opinion in here, but another of our coaching deficiencies. Garner is highly overrated. In addition to your observations we are very undisciplined on the D line. We get frequently outflanked, by either bad technique, or just by formation. We got schooled all day by M. State running a simple inside zone play. Wholesale changes need to be made on this coaching staff if the AD, and administatio is determined to keep Gus

This isn’t the first time the discussion to demote Garner and bring in a real DLineman Coach has been engaged with 

he’s an ace recruiter, but the guy just cant consistently develop. He can take an ace recruit and make him marginally better over his 3-4 years, but his work with project guys with upside (think Cowart, Paul James, even Davidson has regressed this year) it just hasn’t been there. 

4 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Our DL was super hyped before the season. Didn’t perform up to expectations most all the season.

People automatically think sacks and pressure when they think of D-Line. Auburn has 4 run stoppers on their front who are built and play more like defensive tackles. We have a great line but not for rushing the passer. Coe is not a good pass rusher, either, despite what people may think. We really needed Holland to stay another year or Big Kat/Moultry to breakout but it never happened. Here's to hoping those two make big leaps next season. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Pass Rush All Season....
8 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

WDE 

Yep our defenses didn’t answer the call this year. They sucked in tbe Amen corner. Maybe @McLoofus should defend the defense some more. 

I complained  at the start of the year when Brown and Marlon didn't make 1st Team SEC.  I was wrong.  They didn't earn 1st Team SEC.  Maybe not 2nd Team SEC.  Have they improved or developed over their 3 years at Auburn?  No one has more 1st round draft potential than Brown and look at where he is.  He might slip into the late first round if he shows out at the Combine, but most likely a 2nd rounder.  Has Marlon improved?  Has Russell improved.  Named one player on the offense or defense that has improved?  We don't develop what talent we have and we don't have that much.  Yesterday is what you get when you are completely overmatched.  Our secondary is garbage.  How many plays did out corners make?  How many plays did out safeties make either providing support to long passes or coming up and breaking up crossing patterns.  They are always late wherever they are.  Just a very poorly coached team.  I think some of it is due to the defense giving up with our anemic offense.  

People have been mainly pointing fingers at the offense, but it's been the defense that's been the big disappointment. I think any Auburn fan expected some struggles on offense with new O-line and RB groups being installed. The defense was supposed to be stellar, they had the experience and talent available to be outstanding. Called "Arguably the best defensive front in college football" prior to and after the Washington game. They weren't  Look at all five losses:

LSU: defense couldn't hold a late 10 point lead. Get a stop somewhere in there and Auburn wins, but they didn't get the stop.

MSU: gashed for 349 net yards rushing, over 200 of that by the QB running between the tackles. Allowed 1st down after 1st down, which let MSU control the clock 40 minutes to 20.

Tennessee: gave up 30 points to what is the worst offense in the SEC. Tennessee scored 17 on Charleston (yes, Charleston) and 13 on Vandy, but they hung 30 on Auburn. Inexcusable.

Georgia: One of their best performances, really. Our defense "held" the DullDawgs to 27.

Bammer: 52 points surrendered. 'nuff said.

41 minutes ago, Mikey said:

People have been mainly pointing fingers at the offense, but it's been the defense that's been the big disappointment. I think any Auburn fan expected some struggles on offense with new O-line and RB groups being installed. The defense was supposed to be stellar, they had the experience and talent available to be outstanding. Called "Arguably the best defensive front in college football" prior to and after the Washington game. They weren't  Look at all five losses:

LSU: defense couldn't hold a late 10 point lead. Get a stop somewhere in there and Auburn wins, but they didn't get the stop.

MSU: gashed for 349 net yards rushing, over 200 of that by the QB running between the tackles. Allowed 1st down after 1st down, which let MSU control the clock 40 minutes to 20.

Tennessee: gave up 30 points to what is the worst offense in the SEC. Tennessee scored 17 on Charleston (yes, Charleston) and 13 on Vandy, but they hung 30 on Auburn. Inexcusable.

Georgia: One of their best performances, really. Our defense "held" the DullDawgs to 27.

Bammer: 52 points surrendered. 'nuff said.

LSU game first play of the game stidham throws the ball directly to their safety.....

MSU what are we one for whatever then entire game on third down?

But the defense wasn't as good as advertised but neither was the offense or the QB. But to have a conversation about this and not point out that the defense led the SEC in time out on the field which was Texas a&m last year is laughable

Just now, cole256 said:

LSU game first play of the game stidham throws the ball directly to their safety.....

MSU what are we one for whatever then entire game on third down?

But the defense wasn't as good as advertised but neither was the offense or the QB. But to have a conversation about this and not point out that the defense led the SEC in time out on the field which was Texas a&m last year is laughable

Their time on the field is due to their failure to get stops. Get stops, you get off the field. That's math anybody should be able to understand!

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Their time on the field is due to their failure to get stops. Get stops, you get off the field. That's math anybody should be able to understand!

Even your beloved coach Gus said the worst thing that can happen is we (the offense) run out there and go three and out......LSU game they didn't even get the 3 just the out right off the bat. 

When did the bammer game get out of hand?? When we had three 3 and outs in a row. 

But you're not that dense, everybody knows when talking defense an offense sustaining drives and field position go hand and hand

10 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

WDE 

I was wondering about that during the game yesterday.  And I was reminded of last year's strategy against Jalen Hurts, and of the way Bill Belichick coaches his defensive line.

Our strategy last year against Bama and Hurts was to keep containment.  Instead of trying go around the O-linemen, the strategy was to go straight at and thru them, even if that eliminated the chance for sacks.  That kept Hurts from running wild.  It worked in that game.

Belichick coaches his D-linemen, in certain situations, to simply stay put after the snap, stand up and push against their blocker, and assess the play (run or pass) before trying to charge into the backfield.

I'm not saying this is what we should have done, or were trying to do, I'm just saying that's what it looked like.

We lacked an edge rusher this year. In the past we have had Corey Lemonier (2011, 2012), Dee Ford (2013), Carl Lawson (2016), and Jeff Holland (2017).

We lacked a solid edge rush in 2014 and 2015 due to Carl Lawson's injuries. It was even more pronounced in 2015 due to the Muschamp defense where the edge rusher (Buck) is a featured position.

4 hours ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Rotknee is not a very good technical coach, and is not near the recruiter he was before he got old and fat AF. 

He used to be able to run the bagmen with the best of them. 

You saying garner is a cheater?

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Yep our defenses didn’t answer the call this year. They sucked in tbe Amen corner. Maybe @McLoofus should defend the defense some more. 

Not Loof, but generally I agree with him.  Had the offense held their end of the bargain during the earlier part of the year everything could have been different.

By Amen Corner the whole team, minus a player here or there (and Siposs) were toast.

I'm not saying they quit....but clearly the whole team regressed.  That's lack of coaching, which translates to lack of fundamentals (and probably effort).

I believe even CKS phoned in the 2nd half of the year.  Gus has driven him to be ready to retire.

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

When did the bammer game get out of hand?? When we had three 3 and outs in a row. 

Not as I saw it.   17-14 at halftime, 24-14 after 1st Drive, 31-14 after 2nd drive.   That’s already out of hand.    That’s one 3 and out.   There is no excuse for the offense that was put out on the field this year, but to even suggest that the defense did not suck during the loses this season is just not accurate 

3 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not as I saw it.   17-14 at halftime, 24-14 after 1st Drive, 31-14 after 2nd drive.   That’s already out of hand.    That’s one 3 and out.   There is no excuse for the offense that was put out on the field this year, but to even suggest that the defense did not suck during the loses this season is just not accurate 

Nobody said that the defense was good during the losses. Don't know where you got that from

I think that whether you defended the defense and blamed the offense (as I did) or not, we pretty much all agree that beginning the MSU game the whole team sucked.  

Well, all except the Punter.  War Damn Siposs!!!

3 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Not Loof, but generally I agree with him.  Had the offense held their end of the bargain during the earlier part of the year everything could have been different.

By Amen Corner the whole team, minus a player here or there (and Siposs) were toast.

I'm not saying they quit....but clearly the whole team regressed.  That's lack of coaching, which translates to lack of fundamentals (and probably effort).

I believe even CKS phoned in the 2nd half of the year.  Gus has driven him to be ready to retire.

The defense wasn’t ever great. From the Washington rally and on, there have been signs that our D was likely to have a game like the one yesterday. And you can’t even blame TOP on tbe defense. The D’s best games were against pathetic Arkansas and an Ole Miss offense that only does well against bad D’s. Whoopty Doo.

2 hours ago, tigers23 said:

The defense sucked against any team with an pulse on offense. Even a couple without a pulse  (Tennessee)

That was brutal man. Be sure to rotate that wrist because the dagger is fully inserted and the kill shot within reach. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

The defense wasn’t ever great. From the Washington rally and on, there have been signs that our D was likely to have a game like the one yesterday. And you can’t even blame TOP on tbe defense. The D’s best games were against pathetic Arkansas and an Ole Miss offense that only does well against bad D’s. Whoopty Doo.

No, they weren't this year, agreed.  But I truly believe they got worse as the year went on because they lost hope each week.  

This was a total team failure, for sure.  But I still believe it started with the Offensive ineptitude and grew from there.

But yeah, bottom line Auburn Football sucks under Gus Malzahn.  ... except the Punter!!! Wheee!!!!

Archived