Bowl Preparations

alexava

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm hoping the "don't let a UCF 2.0 moment happen again" motivation might curb that a little. Hoping, but not believing lol.

I don't feel like this will be that type of situation.

Auburn came off the high of Amen Corner last year only to lose the SECCG.  Plus, instead of being matched up to play an Oklahoma or Michigan or any other "power" school they get paired up with (no offense, I know you went there but) Yawn....UCF.

This season was such a major let-down to all that ANY bowl is a plus and, frankly, knowing they did beat tOSU and they're at least a P5 school and I just don't see the players being as lackadaisical as that bowl.

I don't feel motivation will be a problem for the players this bowl.  I mean, if so, I don't think Stids would play... 

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Considering how the secondary has struggled all year, I'm more than convinced that Purdue will put points up.  And I just don't think our O can keep up right now.  Add in the motivation factor and its a recipe for a bad afternoon in Nashville.

I said this in another thread but Purdue’s offense is very similar to Ole Miss’s offense which I think Auburn handled pretty well.  I think Taamu had 300 yds of passing but I though Auburn’s dbs played well.  Auburn’s dline will need to keep the pressure on up front.  Defensively they have one of the worst passing defenses in the nation and their running defense gives up about 170/game.  The Oline was playing decent toward years end and I’m interested to see if there are any changes in the game plan now that Gus Bus is 100% in control.

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I said this in another thread but Purdue’s offense is very similar to Ole Miss’s offense which I think Auburn handled pretty well.  I think Taamu had 300 yds of passing but I though Auburn’s dbs played well.  Auburn’s dline will need to keep the pressure on up front.  Defensively they have one of the worst passing defenses in the nation and their running defense gives up about 170/game.  The Oline was playing decent toward years end and I’m interested to see if there are any changes in the game plan now that Gus Bus is 100% in control.

I still can't get the image of Tennessee throwing all over us out of my head.  It's totally possible that we come out and play a strong game, but I'm not optimistic about it.

30 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I still can't get the image of Tennessee throwing all over us out of my head.  It's totally possible that we come out and play a strong game, but I'm not optimistic about it.

My only experience with Purdue was the Ohio State game which they looked very good in.  That was a special night for many reasons in West Lafayette.  I like that this isn’t a David vs Goliath game like last year.  Not a lot to beat your chest about from either team.  

44 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This was the most disappointing game. Shocking, actually. Miss st was second. The offense never got going but I was most disappointed in the defense. 

I'm impressed with Purdue fans buying up their tickets that fast. They'll have an awesome showing in Nashville. Hope we do the same. Still bummed I won't be able to make it.

It sucks our guys are getting shorted on bowl practices. I think Auburn's academic schedule has been pushed a bit late this year.

Not sure why we'd travel to Nashville on the 23rd just to turn around and send the guys home for Christmas so that makes me think the guys will NOT be home on Christmas day. :( 

I’m an hour and a half away. If the damn boilermakers don’t drive the cost of tickets up I might run up there that morning. I hope I get invited to another Arkansas Duck Hunt and watch on tv. 

57 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I'm impressed with Purdue fans buying up their tickets that fast. They'll have an awesome showing in Nashville. Hope we do the same. Still bummed I won't be able to make it.

It sucks our guys are getting shorted on bowl practices. I think Auburn's academic schedule has been pushed a bit late this year.

Not sure why we'd travel to Nashville on the 23rd just to turn around and send the guys home for Christmas so that makes me think the guys will NOT be home on Christmas day. :( 

I figured this would be the case.

With their history ANY bowl for Purdue is like a NY6 or (former) BCS Bowl for Auburn.  "We" may be disappointed in the Music City Bowl but it may as well be the Rose Bowl to them.

1 hour ago, alexava said:

I’m an hour and a half away. If the damn boilermakers don’t drive the cost of tickets up I might run up there that morning. I hope I get invited to another Arkansas Duck Hunt and watch on tv. 

I’m about the same distance and have been tracking prices on stub hub and they’ve doubled in the past week.  Still only $50 but I was hoping for $15-$20.  Maybe I shouldn’t be so cheap.

Preparations?  I am not sure what staff members book transportation but the hotel is designated by the Bowl itself, along with meals and recreational activities.

That sums it up.

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I’m about the same distance and have been tracking prices on stub hub and they’ve doubled in the past week.  Still only $50 but I was hoping for $15-$20.  Maybe I shouldn’t be so cheap.

If I go I will walk up and buy tickets. I’d say it’s a 20% chance I go. I went to the Birmingham bowl in the rain. I went to New Orleans in the rain. Last year I was offered free tickets the night before Atlanta and glad as hell I refrained. A few years ago we got free tickets to the music city bowl. Son’ team won youth championship. We froze our ass off to watch LSU VS Notre Damn. So bowl games haven’t been too good of an experience for me. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Preparations?  I am not sure what staff members book transportation but the hotel is designated by the Bowl itself, along with meals and recreational activities.

That sums it up.

Some of us need preparation H. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. I probably should have said "that was the plan last time I heard", so as not to suggest any possibility of discord. I'm confident he'll start and, if it's a remotely close game in the 2nd half, finish. 

That is exactly what I expect also.  But:

I would seriously like someone to lay out a situation where it would be in AUBURN FOOTBALL's and in JARRETT STIDHAM's best interest for him to play in this bowl game, in an offense that is nowhere close to showcasing his innate talents, with the only positive result being Auburn wins and Gus looks better in his overall record.

How could it benefit Auburn not to let Dilly Dilly (yep, that's my name for him for now) coach up our 3 backup QB's and get them prepared to showcase whatever talent they have against a P5 team. How could it not benefit Auburn Football in the year 2019 to get a headstart on seeing which of our QB's can stand up under real game pressure and get the benefit of seeing what Gus' playcalls will look like next year.

No way Stidham improves his draft stock in this game, and no way Auburn's offense improves for next year with Stidham playing in this game.  So my question is: 

W(hy)TF is he PLAYING IN THE BOWL GAME?

4 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't feel like this will be that type of situation.

Auburn came off the high of Amen Corner last year only to lose the SECCG.  Plus, instead of being matched up to play an Oklahoma or Michigan or any other "power" school they get paired up with (no offense, I know you went there but) Yawn....UCF.

This season was such a major let-down to all that ANY bowl is a plus and, frankly, knowing they did beat tOSU and they're at least a P5 school and I just don't see the players being as lackadaisical as that bowl.

I don't feel motivation will be a problem for the players this bowl.  I mean, if so, I don't think Stids would play... 

You would think Gus would be fired up to prove that he should still be at Auburn? If we lose, it's just more fuel to the fire against him, and a whole off-season to think about it.

BTW, I'll be very interested to see what LSU does against (yes offense) Yawn...UCF. 

4 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

You would think Gus would be fired up to prove that he should still be at Auburn? If we lose, it's just more fuel to the fire against him, and a whole off-season to think about it.

BTW, I'll be very interested to see what LSU does against (yes offense) Yawn...UCF. 

You would think... about Gus.  But I'm honestly not sure what his true motivation is.  Seriously...

Note, I only mentioned the players as being motivated and I support them.

Not sure about the highly paid "leadership".

I agree about LSU.  Unfortunately, *yawn* UCF is even *yawnier* without their star QB.

17 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

That is exactly what I expect also.  But:

I would seriously like someone to lay out a situation where it would be in AUBURN FOOTBALL's and in JARRETT STIDHAM's best interest for him to play in this bowl game, in an offense that is nowhere close to showcasing his innate talents, with the only positive result being Auburn wins and Gus looks better in his overall record.

How could it benefit Auburn not to let Dilly Dilly (yep, that's my name for him for now) coach up our 3 backup QB's and get them prepared to showcase whatever talent they have against a P5 team. How could it not benefit Auburn Football in the year 2019 to get a headstart on seeing which of our QB's can stand up under real game pressure and get the benefit of seeing what Gus' playcalls will look like next year.

No way Stidham improves his draft stock in this game, and no way Auburn's offense improves for next year with Stidham playing in this game.  So my question is: 

W(hy)TF is he PLAYING IN THE BOWL GAME?

I want to win this game and I think Stidham gives us the best chance. But until someone posted in this thread I assumed he was going to skip the game and preparation to work on his nfl hopes. I was resigned to the fact that we’d use this time to get other qbs ready to play this game and compete with Bo this spring.  I think Bo is the favorite to win it. 

I hope we change up bowl practices.  We just don't seem as prepared as the other team.  I think we spend too much time on cleaning up fundamentals and not game planning.  I do think we need to work on fundamentals, but not a full week. I just remember through press conferences last year UCF starting on Auburn a good 3-4 practices before we started game prep. Maybe we are doing more than what has been stated; but with only 1-4 bowl record, it is a good indication we aren't doing something right. 

7 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I hope we change up bowl practices.  We just don't seem as prepared as the other team.  I think we spend too much time on cleaning up fundamentals and not game planning.  I do think we need to work on fundamentals, but not a full week. I just remember through press conferences last year UCF starting on Auburn a good 3-4 practices before we started game prep. Maybe we are doing more than what has been stated; but with only 1-4 bowl record, it is a good indication we aren't doing something right. 

this goes back to tuberville. 

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

this goes back to tuberville. 

JMO but it goes to attitude...players and fans alike in recent years.

Nobody seemed to consider a win an important goal....people wanting to see who would be playing next year, giving young guys a chance to play, etc. etc....about everything but being committed to winning the game. Hoping the players are really serious about winning the game.....and not mostly there to pick up a bling bag and have some fun touring Nashville night spots.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Nobody seemed to consider a win an important goal....people wanting to see who would be playing next year, giving young guys a chance to play, etc. etc....about everything but being committed to winning the game. Hoping the players are really serious about winning the game.....and not mostly there to pick up a bling bag and have some fun touring Nashville night spots.

I remember that wisconsin game painfully. 06? we won 10-11 games and tubs never even acted like the bowl game mattered. but i don't think he even considered that we could possibly lose it either. I didnt.

16 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don’t kids yourself . The fans all want to win. Yes even those who disagree with you. I pose this question. Does your guy Gus care about winning more than just his own pride? Based on the characteristics of this Helter skelter offense this season , IMO, it hasn’t been seen. Maybe that will change now that he is calling the shots. But quit taking pot shots at our other fans in terms of their willingness to want. You are out of your mind if you don’t believe 99 percent of this fan base prioritizes winning over everything. AD Greene said as much in his letter to the fan base 

Archived