***Early NSD Discussion Thread***

ellitor

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

he is a Auburn graduate lol

I think he is a good dude.  Barrett Sallee. 

BTW, I think our class is sitting at #11 now since the Handy signing.

Edited by JFDTiger80

Just my opinion here.

I believe OL and  DL are keys to having a team that can compete for SEC titles.   Based on what I have watched on the field and seen in recruiting, we are not close to being competitive on the OL. The OL was terrible this year and I did not see improvement as the season progressed. I am ready for a new aggressive OL coach and recruiter. I think this is a serious deficiency and one that could end up getting our head coach fired. Time to step up.

• Like 1

Again Congrats to the coaches for the recruiting effort. 

They were almost sabotaged by PTBs, the administration and state media in the weeks leading up to signing day with a barrage of bad news, rumors and negative commentary from various AU chat sites....AND..yet they hung in there and as far as I can tell, did not have a defection of note.  We have some excellent players headed for AU to join those remaining from the current season. .  

We have quality but need more depth / quantity so guess the coaches will be working to fill gaps but at least the additional prospects should be impressed with the players already signed up and they will also have a pretty clear picture of what our needs are.  A number of posters have suggested where that might be. 

• Like 2

A lot of the teams ahead of us have already filled their quota of players or only can add 1 or 2 more.  As we add players we should move up. The better the player we add the more we move up.  With Picken's we have 17 Players I expect us to use 6-7 and save 1-2 for GT.  I believe we will get in top 10.  By the numbers that is a great class but if we don't fill some needs at LB and especially O-Line this class while great will be somewhat disappointing because a truly great class has high quality players and addresses your needs. If we get Putnam and Bell with the two we have our Interior Line should be fine Osborne might develop into a true OT but we need 1 Underclassmen (Freshman or  Juco) OT and one GT OT.  We also need at least 1 LB unless we use 1 or 2 of our bucks as LB's as a couple could be great in both positions.

Next Years Class will need 2-3 OT's and each class after will need 1-2 OT's.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Next Years Class will need 2-3 OT's and each class after will need 1-2 OT's.

Wait...what?  So you're suggesting we recruit with a plan towards future needs?  Interesting.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

1A84DB22-70A1-4D3D-BC6B-97DCC92C847B.png

7986D660-7D47-4EC2-8CAF-F7FB884741A6.png

10B972EC-453E-4737-8363-878A9EC7DC9F.png

247 Composite has AU 11th right now with fewer commitments than any team above us.

26 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

247 Composite has AU 11th right now with fewer commitments than any team above us.

I was just going off 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-recruiting-rankings-esp-2019-class/

Edited by AlaskanFAN

19 hours ago, around4ever said:

2 TEs?  Do we know what to do with them?  

Do we know what they are?

Just browsing some sites and the new coaches are having a hard time getting started with signing day arriving in Dec instead of  February.

New coaches at Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Texas Tech and a number of others barely scratched on their early commitments.   Granted they weren't that strong anyway....but hard to see any of them having much success any time soon. 

These days when you fire your coach at the end of the season,  you are about writing off the following season of recruiting.....and maybe guaranteeing a tough season or two ahead. 

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Dang Chad Morris is rocking it for the Hogs - this is the best class they've EVER had over there.

It'll only get better for him too. So many THSCA connections

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Just my opinion here.

I believe OL and  DL are keys to having a team that can compete for SEC titles.   Based on what I have watched on the field and seen in recruiting, we are not close to being competitive on the OL. The OL was terrible this year and I did not see improvement as the season progressed. I am ready for a new aggressive OL coach and recruiter. I think this is a serious deficiency and one that could end up getting our head coach fired. Time to step up.

I would def agree with the premise of your argument about everything starting in the trenches however, I would disagree that there wasn't improvement throughout the season. I thought the line played pretty well there past few games, or at heart better than the previous games.... Best game being Alabama.... Still a ways to go. If we can retain tega, and have a good year with S And C and toughen up the interior, I really think our Oline willh be decent next year. JS didn't help the line by scrambling out of clean pockets the last few games

Why do the recruiting rankings list Auburn with only one 5 star recruit in Owen Pappoe? I feel that Bo Nix, George Pickens and Derick Hall should also be 5 star recruits.

Edited by auburn4ever

2 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why do the recruiting rankings list Auburn with only one 5 star recruit in Owen Pappoe? I feel that Bo Nix and George Pickens should also be 5 star recruits.

Because they hate Auburn. They are mad that JJ used to be our athletic director and put in the Jumbotron, that we haven’t expanded the stadium and that we fail to schedule Notre Dame/OU/USC series. Our poor recruits are just caught in the crossfire 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So awesome that we get to play against teams ranked 1-4 EVERY year!

And now Oregon has really picked up...think number six. We are the lucky charm. Just get on our schedule and your team will have instant success😬

45 minutes ago, fredst said:

Because they hate Auburn. They are mad that JJ used to be our athletic director and put in the Jumbotron, that we haven’t expanded the stadium and that we fail to schedule Notre Dame/OU/USC series. Our poor recruits are just caught in the crossfire 

They also hate bird is another reason................

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

• ellitor changed the title to ***Early NSD Discussion Thread***
14 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just browsing some sites and the new coaches are having a hard time getting started with signing day arriving in Dec instead of  February.

New coaches at Kansas, Louisville, Maryland, Texas Tech and a number of others barely scratched on their early commitments.   Granted they weren't that strong anyway....but hard to see any of them having much success any time soon. 

These days when you fire your coach at the end of the season,  you are about writing off the following season of recruiting.....and maybe guaranteeing a tough season or two ahead. 

Good point. Wait til after signing day. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Good point. Wait til after signing day. 

Who knows?  just noting that early signing date adds another (and serious)  dimension to how and when to make a coaching change,  whether he's being fired or leaving voluntarily to take another job. . 

For whatever reason a coaching change is made, a lot of important decisions have to be made in a very short period of time...a week or so and recruiting is likely to take a  hit...or it appears that way.   :dunno:.     

• Like 1

Well a lot of things work against Auburn, not the “flagship “ university of the State so Updykes and Mutts edge us, no Taj Mahal football only facility to entertain the kiddies. Lots of negative recruiting by rivals aided by our fans , PTB and media. Did I miss anything?

6 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Well a lot of things work against Auburn, not the “flagship “ university of the State so Updykes and Mutts edge us, no Taj Mahal football only facility to entertain the kiddies. Lots of negative recruiting by rivals aided by our fans , PTB and media. Did I miss anything?

Our record the last 5 years?

40 minutes ago, AU-HANDLEY-TIGER said:

Auburn fans seem to relish being the underdog..:)

JMO..but our record the last five years is among the minor negative issues.