Joey Gatewood

twilli13

11 hours ago, AU64 said:

probably not worth the effort...but not a bunch these days.....everyone is impatient....."play me or trade me"  

Looked at the final AP top 25 + the top schools from each P5 conference that didn't finish top 25, so that we're looking both at the best in CFB and the types of schools that we're primarily competing and recruiting against.

Of the 29 schools I checked, 22 started QBs last year who began at that school as freshmen. 7 started guys who had transferred. I made no distinction as to the nature of the transfer. 

None of the top 3, 1 of the top 5, and 2 of the top 10 started transfers. 

I'm not sure how many of those 22 started as freshmen, but those stats still paint a pretty clear picture. Transfers represent ~25% of the top QBs in CFB. That's a lot different than some of the numbers previously conjured up. 

And, as always, good for the guys who are taking more control of their careers and not giving up on their dreams. 

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Looked at the final AP top 25 + the top schools from each P5 conference that didn't finish top 25, so that we're looking both at the best in CFB and the types of schools that we're primarily competing and recruiting against.

Of the 29 schools I checked, 22 started QBs last year who began at that school as freshmen. 7 started guys who had transferred. I made no distinction as to the nature of the transfer. 

None of the top 3, 1 of the top 5, and 2 of the top 10 started transfers. 

I'm not sure how many of those 22 started as freshmen, but those stats still paint a pretty clear picture. Transfers represent ~25% of the top QBs in CFB. That's a lot different than some of the numbers previously conjured up. 

And, as always, good for the guys who are taking more control of their careers and not giving up on their dreams. 

This year Okla, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Wash State , Missouri, WVa, etc. among others will have transfers.....not the top ten but schools who were not able to recruit against the bama's or the world for QB and instead look for guys who are a year older and have some college exposure. 

7 minutes ago, AU64 said:

This year Okla, LSU, Miami, Ohio State, Michigan, Washington, Wash State , Missouri, WVa, etc. among others will have transfers.....not the top ten but schools who were not able to recruit against the bama's or the world for QB and instead look for guys who are a year older and have some college exposure. 

None of Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State or Michigan are going to have issues recruiting QBs. And bama started a transfer just a few years ago themselves. Regardless, it seems like the point keeps, uh, evolving.

Most top teams start QBs that they recruited out of high school. Even if they don't, they probably don't consider the transfer market to be their sole talent pool. They're probably counting on one of those high school guys to be a starter and then, when a Jalen Hurts or a Shea Patterson or a Jarrett Stidham suddenly becomes available, they do the obvious thing and take the opportunity to make their football team better. 

By the way, of those schools you listed, which of them are you certain will actually be starting the transfer coming in? 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

None of Oklahoma, LSU, Ohio State or Michigan are going to have issues recruiting QBs. And bama started a transfer just a few years ago themselves. Regardless, it seems like the point keeps, uh, evolving.

Most top teams start QBs that they recruited out of high school. Even if they don't, they probably don't consider the transfer market to be their sole talent pool. They're probably counting on one of those high school guys to be a starter and then, when a Jalen Hurts or a Shea Patterson or a Jarrett Stidham suddenly becomes available, they do the obvious thing and take the opportunity to make their football team better. 

By the way, of those schools you listed, which of them are you certain will actually be starting the transfer coming in? 

Another thing to keep in mind is how many of these schools have enrolled 4&5* Qbs that never amounted to anything.  Bama in particular had quite a few busts that are QBing elsewhere.  Just because a QB looks good in high school and doesn’t deliver in college doesn’t mean it’s coaching.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:52 AM, aujeff11 said:

Well judging by your posts, Gus benefits from  recruiting Heismans on the bench, meanwhile, being the God that Lincoln’s riley is, recruited a walk on qb sitting behind Mahomes and turned him into a Heisman. Is that tbe narrative that we are going to keep pushing?

I find it funny we still harp on Gus for not being able to win without transfers while we ogle over Riley. Why did Riley go get the former SEC POTY if he can turn water into wine? 

Jalen won SEC POTY in one of the most pathetic SECs offensively (and period) in recent memory. Is that an accolade now. Guy had 57 yards in the playoffs against a non SEC team and we're using that as a feat 

6 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Jalen won SEC POTY in one of the most pathetic SECs offensively (and period) in recent memory. Is that an accolade now. Guy had 57 yards in the playoffs against a non SEC team and we're using that as a feat

Do you really want to side track the thread this way? Well I oblige.  SEC POTY is always a feat and an accolade. Just like the Heisman, and probably any other award, there can be down years.  See Mark Ingram only rushed for 30 yards against Auburn during his Heisman year. He was apparently the best candidate available and thus he was awarded with the accolade... You could say that it was a down year when Kerryon won SEC POTY,  I suppose. That is your opinion, and you have the right to your opinion.

War Eagle!!!!

Go team Go!!

2 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Another thing to keep in mind is how many of these schools have enrolled 4&5* Qbs that never amounted to anything.  Bama in particular had quite a few busts that are QBing elsewhere.  Just because a QB looks good in high school and doesn’t deliver in college doesn’t mean it’s coaching.

Of course not. But if a coach consistently fails to produce with high school studs, then it absolutely is coaching. 

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

Gatewood for Heisman!   Too soon?

You never know? I think he will be a solid QB for us and could win a lot of games for us. I am excited to see what Joey can do. I hope he makes us all proud and happy!

Just catching up and used most of my free time NOT catching up on Gatewood like I hoped I would. Now that Bball season is over, it sure would be nice to have a QB update. Please, please lets get back to the thread title. Thanks

20 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

MODS: Thread re-title suggestion: Joey Gatewood, but Mostly Not

31 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Just catching up and used most of my free time NOT catching up on Gatewood like I hoped I would. Now that Bball season is over, it sure would be nice to have a QB update. Please, please lets get back to the thread title. Thanks

I thought everyone knew by now that football threads are similar to a word association game. Gatewood=Quarterback>past quarterback fails=Gus. At least that's how it seems to work. ;)

52 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

Agreed 

There is literally no new news about the damn QB race. For good reason. We probably won’t even begin to know what’s up until post A Day and I imagine even then the game will be set up where we still won’t know much. Don’t worry this will be an ongoing debate until the end of summer. 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is literally no new news about the damn QB race. For good reason. We probably won’t even begin to know what’s up until post A Day and I imagine even then the game will be set up where we still won’t know much. Don’t worry this will be an ongoing debate until the end of summer. 

But I've learned so much about Joey Gatewood by reading people complain about other people not talking about Joey Gatewood!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

until at least the the 3rd game, this is Gus!!!  lol

2 hours ago, JFDTiger80 said:

bruce.gif

bp.gif

If anybody wants to learn about Joey Gatewood, just know that I’m a fan. You’re hooked now? Thought so. 

@doc4aday is a new member of the official Gatewood fan club. Direct all your questions to him.

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But I've learned so much about Joey Gatewood by reading people complain about other people not talking about Joey Gatewood!

Don’t get me wrong I get their frustration , but there’s is legitimately no new information out there. And when we do get information, it is vague as hell. Most people have been wrapped around basketball to even care. So I am all ears if anyone else wants to bring valuable discussion about JG that pertains to his abilities as a QB, otherwise, threads like these will be 10 pages of mostly 9 page content about other stuff due to the fact, there is nothing to talk about! If it was based on what we were hearing from Gus or the insiders then football side of this website would feel like a Charlotte Hornets home game , mostly empty. 

3 hours ago, DAG said:

There’s hardly any news on anything football related; it’s like people would rather prefer we not have random thoughts and leave this forum as a ghost town 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

If anybody wants to learn about Joey Gatewood, just know that I’m a fan. You’re hooked now? Thought so. 

@doc4aday is a new member of the official Gatewood fan club. Direct all your questions to him.

I need to chill out and take a huge step back and let the chips fall the way they are intended to do so. I do like Joey a great deal and think he is going to be something special. We could all argue till the last role of toilet paper has been expended. (Had that to happen about an hour ago after a bout of the runs from some nasty meds I am trying to get accustomed to) Things will get better and may the best QB rise to the top like fresh cream from Blue Belle Homemade Vanilla!

Here is something you can bank on in relation to QB: the backup will play. If Joey starts, Bo will still get 5-10 plays a game I suspect. Same for Joey, especially on short yardage downs when a power read is needed.

Gus loves, and I mean LOVES, to have packages for backup QBs. Much like Jeremy Johnson throughout his career, and Kodi Burns QBing some in 09-10. He also loves having multiple guys on the field who can throw it. Double passes are like crack to him.

And as loyal as Gus is (to a fault sometimes) he can't neglect both guys. Both will play. Could be the most Gus has ever split snaps. 

3 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Here is something you can bank on in relation to QB: the backup will play. If Joey starts, Bo will still get 5-10 plays a game I suspect. Same for Joey, especially on short yardage downs when a power read is needed.

Gus loves, and I mean LOVES, to have packages for backup QBs. Much like Jeremy Johnson throughout his career, and Kodi Burns QBing some in 09-10. He also loves having multiple guys on the field who can throw it. Double passes are like crack to him.

And as loyal as Gus is (to a fault sometimes) he can't neglect both guys. Both will play. Could be the most Gus has ever split snaps. 

What if Malik ends up starting? So he'll play 3 QB's?

Archived