Joey Gatewood

twilli13

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Or after the first game.:)

After we do a 4 qb rotation against Oregon

the beard was on finebaum yesterday. best i remember he said joey was a tad ahead of bo and malik. he also stated the receiving crop has been very lacking which has hindered the whole process. but i believe it was said a week or so ago that gatewoods ability to scramble giving the receiving guys more time to get open. and from what i have read from gus is the qb battle could well continue into fall practice until a starter is named. and that is odd because gus said he wanted a starter named as soon as possible. anyway the remarks by gus are on the hated al.com if you guys want to look it up. so i believe the qb race is so tight it will continue on after spring ball OR gus trying to keep as little info as possible from getting out so our opponents have to prepare for more.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

the beard was on finebaum yesterday. best i remember he said joey was a tad ahead of bo and malik. he also stated the receiving crop has been very lacking which has hindered the whole process. but i believe it was said a week or so ago that gatewoods ability to scramble giving the receiving guys more time to get open. and from what i have read from gus is the qb battle could well continue into fall practice until a starter is named. and that is odd because gus said he wanted a starter named as soon as possible. anyway the remarks by gus are on the hated al.com if you guys want to look it up. so i believe the qb race is so tight it will continue on after spring ball OR gus trying to keep as little info as possible from getting out so our opponents have to prepare for more.

Receiving crop lacking...as in they cant get open, cant catch or both? Either way, concerning. I know we've recruited that position decently well on paper the past few years, plus Seth Williams is proven. 

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I need to chill out and take a huge step back and let the chips fall the way they are intended to do so. I do like Joey a great deal and think he is going to be something special. We could all argue till the last role of toilet paper has been expended. (Had that to happen about an hour ago after a bout of the runs from some nasty meds I am trying to get accustomed to) Things will get better and may the best QB rise to the top like fresh cream from Blue Belle Homemade Vanilla!

TMI

9 minutes ago, toddc said:

TMI

Hey Toddc, not to sound stupid, but what does TMI stand for?  I appreciate this and WDE to you!

I got it! You are right in that it is too much information. My wife is always fussing at me for revealing stuff.  Never been shy about things.  I am in a fight for my life at the moment and try to make humor of things I really should not and hope I did not offend anyone on this board who is going through what I am dealing with. Stage III colon cancer is a bummer, but I am hoping to get through it. I hope I did not offend you with my synopsis of Doc 101 as my wife likes to call me! It does me good at times to get this off of my chest.

We may not agree on some things but we are both die in wool hard core Auburn fans!

37 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Receiving crop lacking...as in they cant get open, cant catch or both? Either way, concerning. I know we've recruited that position decently well on paper the past few years, plus Seth Williams is proven. 

I mean, a couple of us did try to point out that like 75% of our production from the last couple years just left, and that most of that was just screen passes to 1 guy... 

Also, this would be a good time to think back on all the other receiving crops before this one that have underperformed, and think about why that might be, and just kinda prepare yourself emotionally for what to expect from our offense. 

On a brighter note, Schwartz is our best WR and he's been running track, and Stove is just making his way back, and Hastings is still out. 

There have been some nuggets about Canella, McClain and Hill, but nothing to hang your hat on.

Like I said. Just prepare yourself now. Set those expectations for the passing game low. A little lower. You're almost there, just a little lower...

14 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Hey Toddc, not to sound stupid, but what does TMI stand for?  I appreciate this and WDE to you!

I got it! You are right in that it is too much information. My wife is always fussing at me for revealing stuff.  Never been shy about things.  I am in a fight for my life at the moment and try to make humor of things I really should not and hope I did not offend anyone on this board who is going through what I am dealing with. Stage III colon cancer is a bummer, but I am hoping to get through it. I hope I did not offend you with my synopsis of Doc 101 as my wife likes to call me! It does me good at times to get this off of my chest.

We may not agree on some things but we are both die in wool hard core Auburn fans!

My prayers are with you Doc.  I understand what you're going through and then some.

God bless & War Eagle!

24 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Too much information  😂 Sorry, I was trying to make a joke about your throne room info!

praying for your full recovery brother and didn’t mean to make light of your situation. Hope and pray you whip the tar out of the cancer!

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

he also stated the receiving crop has been very lacking

Looking at our roster I could see the depth not looking great. I'm sure part of the problem is the usual lack of creativeness in routes and pigeon holing a kid into being used for one specific purpose.

Should have a 4 WR set with the following layout

Seth Williams                                              Will Hastings (speed slot)                                                                                              Sal Cannella (Big Slot/TE)                       Anthony Schwartz

Matthew Hill                                               Ja'Varrius Johnson (small but insane)                                                                       Tyler Fromm -or- Luke Deal                  McClain

That starting 4 should be enough of a matchup nightmare if they're running legitimate passing concepts. Schwartz should be used exactly like the Chiefs use Hill: deep drag routes, streak if 1-on-1, quick digs, etc. Seth Williams should be a go-to guy and be 1,000 yard receiver. Hastings and JJ could be speed guys in the slot zipping by a linebacker. Cannella or anyone who is a true blocking/catching threat could be awesome closer to the red zone.

Some of it might be getting timing and chemistry down with the qb's.                  

3 hours ago, twilli13 said:

to be honest he did not distinguish between the two so  i am assuming it is a bit of both. i do however think we will be fine as far as our receivers go.

4 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Seth is talented but not proven just yet. That Bama game was bad, big time receivers show up in big time games

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, a couple of us did try to point out that like 75% of our production from the last couple years just left, and that most of that was just screen passes to 1 guy...

Not to mention that 100% of the guy getting the ball to those two 75% of the time also left.  Too bad we can't start the season vs. Purdue instead of Oregon.

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Seth is talented but not proven just yet. That Bama game was bad, big time receivers show up in big time games

Hes definitely a proven receiver. No one said hes all conference or anything, but 26 catches for 525 yards is not unproven but talented. sorry. 

1 minute ago, twilli13 said:

Hes definitely a proven receiver. No one said hes all conference or anything, but 26 catches for 525 yards is not unproven but talented. sorry. 

2 catches a game. Eh. It's proven that he can play a role. Those aren't "we've got a locked in WR1" numbers. Well, not at most schools.

Justyn Ross went 46 for 1,000. 

7 hours ago, twilli13 said:

hurt, running track to mention a couple things.

A-Day is just an exhibition....can't see making any true assessment from what goes on tomorrow.....just gives some folks more opportunity to complain or second guess about what they see.  

Don't show the opposition anything meaningful and don't get anyone hurt and rip off a few long runs.....my idea of a perfect A-Day game.

14 minutes ago, AU64 said:

hurt, running track to mention a couple things.

A-Day is just an exhibition....can't see making any true assessment from what goes on tomorrow.....just gives some folks more opportunity to complain or second guess about what they see.  

Don't show the opposition anything meaningful and don't get anyone hurt and rip off a few long runs.....my idea of a perfect A-Day game.

Yeah, I saw a couple of post thinking A day will be meaningful in the pecking order. History has shown this is hardly the case. Auburn is not unique to this , many schools keep it fun and vanilla. The closed scrimmages are probably much more intense.

1 hour ago, twilli13 said:

26 catches might seem like a good amount for auburn standards , but that is not many touches at all in today’s game. 26 receptions puts you about 40th in total receptions in the SEC and that is a conference who prides itself in running the ball.

7 hours ago, toddc said:

Too much information  😂 Sorry, I was trying to make a joke about your throne room info!

praying for your full recovery brother and didn’t mean to make light of your situation. Hope and pray you whip the tar out of the cancer!

no worries! I understand about the throne!  It is a constant irritating friend of sorts!  I am not up to speed on initials and their meaning. I will never forget when the first time I saw FWIW and had to scratch by bald head figuring that one out!  I have a weird sense of humor per my wife. She never knows if I am serious or not after 30 plus years of being married to my soul mate. I married when  I was 32 and it has been nothing short of magical since.  I told my wife that I am going to name my very own private crapper "Sir Elger John" Elger made some of the worlds best toilets in their day. Build.com is having a "Blowout sale on toilets!  I kid you not!  I rolled in the floor laughing when I saw this caption and my wife thought I had lost what little sense of brainpower I am holding on! 

I will not lose the old sense of humor no matter how much the crapper beckons me!  

I have enjoyed watching the Masters and really fall in love with that course every year I watch the Masters.  If I played that course I would shoot around 140 or worse!

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

18 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

have enjoyed watching the Masters and really fall in love with that course every year I watch the Masters.  If I played that course I would shoot around 140 or worse!

My pastor is up there at The Masters!

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yeah, I saw a couple of post thinking A day will be meaningful in the pecking order. History has shown this is hardly the case. Auburn is not unique to this , many schools keep it fun and vanilla. The closed scrimmages are probably much more intense.

Too bad it is not Blue Belle Homemade Vanilla!

8 minutes ago, toddc said:

My pastor is up there at The Masters!

Cool!!! He sounds like the kind of pastor I love!  My pastor is a plump little guy that shoots in the low 60s on the tough little par 3 course that is a part of my HOA.  We have beautiful bent grass greens that are faster than greased lightning. I usually shoot in the low to mid 70s and on some really interesting days in the 80s!

I struggle with hooking the ball a good bit. I am learning how to draw the ball and do this once in a blue moon. I have a custom set of clubs that I have put together for my course. Did not spend too much though. Are you a golfer? If you ever make it to the mountains of NC, maybe we could play a round of golf and figure out Auburn football in the process!

50 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

Cool!!! He sounds like the kind of pastor I love!  My pastor is a plump little guy that shoots in the low 60s on the tough little par 3 course that is a part of my HOA.  We have beautiful bent grass greens that are faster than greased lightning. I usually shoot in the low to mid 70s and on some really interesting days in the 80s!

I struggle with hooking the ball a good bit. I am learning how to draw the ball and do this once in a blue moon. I have a custom set of clubs that I have put together for my course. Did not spend too much though. Are you a golfer? If you ever make it to the mountains of NC, maybe we could play a round of golf and figure out Auburn football in the process!

Not a duffer but I do have lots of kinfolk that live in Durham. Don’t even know if that’s close, but makes me feel like I know you better. 😆 

7 minutes ago, toddc said:

Not a duffer but I do have lots of kinfolk that live in Durham. Don’t even know if that’s close, but makes me feel like I know you better. 😆 

I am about 180 miles west of Durham not far from Asheville!

Archived