Joey Gatewood

twilli13

34 minutes ago, toddc said:

I always love how the threadjack complaints turn into their own threadjack. Now we're trying to redirect traffic to another team's message board! Oh heavens. Let's get back to Joey Gatewood.

(More like GateWOULD amirite?! No? Oh.)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I always love how the threadjack complaints turn into their own threadjack. Now we're trying to redirect traffic to another team's message board! Oh heavens. Let's get back to Joey Gatewood.

(More like GateWOULD amirite?! No? Oh.)

The point of my post, as you well know and chose to bypass, was to say, if you want to talk incessantly about OK football, here is where you go! I came here to read about an AU, possibly starting,  qb and read two pages of arguments over ok football and coach.

2 minutes ago, toddc said:

The point of my post, as you well know and chose to bypass, was to say, if you want to talk incessantly about OK football, here is where you go! I came here to read about an AU, possibly starting,  qb and read two pages of arguments over ok football and coach.

Oh, I totally got your point. You missed my sarcasm. Not your fault. Happens a lot even when I'm talking to folks IRL. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Lol I was about to say. I am the poster child of getting the best person available! I was begging Gus to go after Kelly Bryant and J. Hurts. 

To his credit he tried. Which makes me sad that he felt he needed them. Otherwise goatWOOD.

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

But Gus cannot win without transfers. Amirite?

He hasn't yet. I am hopeful that changes, but it's a possible vs probable thing.

Just now, McLoofus said:

Oh, I totally got your point. You missed my sarcasm. Not your fault. Happens a lot even when I'm talking to folks IRL. 

I got your sarcastic remarks just fine! I’m really liking what little I’ve heard about Joey G. and hope he could become serviceable in the passing game. I would love to see this offense have another run threat in our qb position. I also think it would be good if Bo could continue to get acclimated to the speed of college/SEC game before being put out there. I’m also hoping he’ll get lots of backup play early and then he can take over mid season if needed. A redshirt year might do wonders for him.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He hasn't yet. I am hopeful that changes, but it's a possible vs probable thing.

I will say,  I do think it is absolutely okay to win with transfers in my eyes. This year he can prove that he can win with his own developed QB. Personally, I don't take any issue in it. I do hope we get the best player at each position to help us win. If it is Gatewood then let him start. If it is Nix, then let him start. I don't want any type of "benefit of doubt" starters.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Joey Gatewood I am thinking will definitely start. IMO, without any knowledge whatsoever, I do think Nix is a better passer (Bias here). But in this offense athleticism is meaningful and if Gus can make Gatewood a quality passer and use his Uber athleticism we will doing some very good things on offense.

Agree and also I think the fact hat he is a couple years older makes a difference too....but I'd be good either way....or for Nix to start and Joey to do a little wildcat when it's important to pick up a few yards... for a first down or TD.  

Just now, AU64 said:

Agree and also I think the fact hat he is a couple years older makes a difference too....but I'd be good either way....or for Nix to start and Joey to do a little wildcat when it's important to pick up a few yards... for a first down or TD.  

Agreed. I do think Gatewood going through his adversity last year as set a tone with him this year. He seems to know what it takes to prepare in being a leader of an SEC football team, especially at the QB position.

9 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agreed. 

I'm fully in favor of a Leak-Tebow scenario if we have a comparable disparity in- and combination of- skill sets between the two guys. NOT saying Gatewood = Tebow or Nix = Leak, but just that those were 2 guys who brought different and complimentary skills to the table and won a championship utilizing both. 

I do think we have at least 2 leaders that we haven't had since Marshall left- I think Joey's issues last year were an aberration for him- and that is really exciting. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Agreed. 

I'm fully in favor of a Leak-Tebow scenario if we have a comparable disparity in- and combination of- skill sets between the two guys. NOT saying Gatewood = Tebow or Nix = Leak, but just that those were 2 guys who brought different and complimentary skills to the table and won a championship utilizing both. 

I do think we have at least 2 leaders that we haven't had since Marshall left- I think Joey's issues last year were an aberration for him- and that is really exciting. 

Now that we are actually carrying some Gatewood conversations, let's see if any of these guys upset about hijacks add any valuable tidbits to the conversation or will this thread just go slow again? Lol. Honestly, though, I am ready to see all four QBs play this Saturday. Yes we do have four QBs on the roster.

I really hope CGM will let the qbs run the offense enough to show fans whether or not we have JG up to speed on the offense, and how close, or far, BN is in understanding the offense. I get we are going to be vanilla, but they deserve a chance to show what they have. By not being live and able to run, JG and MW are hamstrung by being in orange jerseys, but it’s the passing game I’m worried about. There you go DAG

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

I will say,  I do think it is absolutely okay to win with transfers in my eyes. 

I completely agree. Pros do it all the time through free agency.

Just now, bigbird said:

I completely agree. Pros do it all the time through free agency.

Yep. I think the bigger issue is knowing what type of player you want and breeding success with the vision you have. This is where we are failing and I think that is why our fans get frustrated. If you are successful, which is subjective in many fans eyes then there would be less debate about it.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yep. I think the bigger issue is knowing what type of player you want and breeding success with the vision you have. This is where we are failing and I think that is why our fans get frustrated. If you are successful, which is subjective in many fans eyes then there would be less debate about it.

Exactly, recruit the type you need to be successful. If you can't, try and get a transfer that does.  That said, whomever it is, they need to be better developed while here. 

I used to bag on Gus about the transfer thing but after JJ6 my tune changed to "it doesn't matter how we get them here as long as they are here"

Just put us in the best position to win personnel wise, please.

If we whiff on Nix and Gatewood too, more than likely that means a firing and the next coach will have the opportunity to work with at least one of the two. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Exactly, recruit the type you need to be successful. If you can't, try and get a transfer that does.  That said, whomever it is, they need to be better developed while here. 

Also, if you are completely dependent upon pre-developed, plug-and-play transfer QBs, then your labor pool has shrunk to endangered species status and you will never have depth at the position. 

Of course, if you/your staff truly are incapable of turning high school phenoms into serviceable college QBs, then you're probably not competent enough to consistently build winning offenses in general. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Also, if you are completely dependent upon pre-developed, plug-and-play transfer QBs, then your labor pool has shrunk to endangered species status and you will never have depth at the position. 

Of course, if you/your staff truly are incapable of turning high school phenoms into serviceable college QBs, then you're probably not competent enough to consistently build winning offenses in general. 

You make a reasonable point but how many very well know Power 5 schools are gonna have a QB  running their show who started college somewhere else and then transferred?

Don't know when this started to such a great extent....maybe Gus and Cam......but seems that it's almost unusual for a team to bring a guy up through the ranks unless he happened to start him as a freshman.....and even a few of those guys got edged out after a year or two and moved to other schools.    Probably more of then than I know but Fromm is about the only Senior that I can recall starting as a freshman...and causing at least 2 or maybe 3 incoming QB candidates to transfer during his career.  QBs are the "hired guns" of college football.

It’d be pretty sweet to have Joey ball out for 2 years and go pro, Nix ball out for 2 years and go pro and hopefully by then just be a conveyor belt of stud Qbs.  Sure would help Gus regain his “guru” status.

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

You make a reasonable point but how many very well know Power 5 schools are gonna have a QB  running their show who started college somewhere else and then transferred?

Don't know when this started to such a great extent....maybe Gus and Cam......but seems that it's almost unusual for a team to bring a guy up through the ranks unless he happened to start him as a freshman.....and even a few of those guys got edged out after a year or two and moved to other schools.    Probably more of then than I know but Fromm is about the only Senior that I can recall starting as a freshman...and causing at least 2 or maybe 3 incoming QB candidates to transfer during his career.  QBs are the "hired guns" of college football.

Lawrence, Tua... Those jump to mind.

Started as freshmen? Probably not a ton. Stayed at one school for their career? I'll do some research when I get time.

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lawrence, Tua... Those jump to mind.

Started as freshmen? Probably not a ton. Stayed at one school for their career? I'll do some research when I get time.

probably not worth the effort...but not a bunch these days.....everyone is impatient....."play me or trade me"  

I am looking forward to Saturday to see some of what Joey is made of in the Gus-ball offense.  I coined "Gus-ball" after the Purdue game in that there is actually some real light at the end of the tunnel in running Gus' zone read offense. WIth Joey we will see some Cam like runs in that Joey is a big man and can run over defenders like Cam was capable of. Is Joey the 2nd coming of Cam?  This analogy has potential and could pan out. Joey is not yet in Cam's shoes and he has a lot of work to do to earn this comparison.

what I am trying to say and maybe just not doing a good job of it at the moment, is that Joey brings hope in the form of a big QB who can run and and is not afraid to run over defenders. The comparison is there and most will agree with this.  I am a little zoned out tonight in that I have not slept the past 2 nights with something that is much like the flu with a 103 degree fever. So try to understand where the Doc is coming from and that I am not losing my mind just yet!  I am pumped about Saturday and the potential that both Joey and Bo could bring to the table. Something about this QB race is so much different than in recent years. Lights out tonight boys and may the best QB win the big prize! 

Saw photo of Joey at yesterday's gathering at Gus' place with other QBs & WRs. He's massive. Then again our 4th string walkon QB the last 2 years Devin Adams was about that size too.

Archived