*** 2019 NFL DRAFT THREAD***

GwillMac6

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally! Tampa Bay can have Auburn DBs on both sides of the field.  Congrats J. Dean!

I wouldn’t call it a terrible showing. We lost like almost no impact players, and the players expected to go in early rounds all chose to come back.

Stidham probably goes higher if he left last year.

I hope Cam's injury woes are behind him. Clearly Panthers are putting in a contingency. 

1 hour ago, jared52 said:

Panthers were having a draft. Were. Yikes.

That is a good value pick. Cam's injuries are piling up. They need a legit backup QB and not these undrafted dudes. 

@auburnphan LOVE LOVE LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THE JACE STERNBURGER PICK FAM!!!!!! WOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSSSIRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was my favorite Tight End in this draft. FINALLY they draft a much needed weapon for 12. 

10 hours ago, AUFriction said:

I wouldn’t call it a terrible showing. We lost like almost no impact players, and the players expected to go in early rounds all chose to come back.

yes it's terrible. You're stretching it looking for some sunshine. 😊

To have no 1st or 2nd rounders in 6-7 of the drafts recently is a poor reflection on having dominant players.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:30 PM, aujeff11 said:

I read a profile about a former Oklahoma State wideout last year and you would’ve thought that the profile was about Auburn. I asked a poster here that knows all about Big 12 football and that guy said the article was full of it. Everyone loves crapping on the spread system but yet it keeps getting incorporated into the NFL more and more. Gus runs his own system and it doesn’t ask a lot from its QBs and WRs. It mainly asks them to do their job.

I’m perfectly fine with our offense as long as it is actually scoring. When we aren’t sending players to the league prepared to play and collegiate play is inept as well, that’s a problem.  

We are a two back downhill, vertical play action offense. That’s our identity.

Not sure that it's a big deal about what offense the guys run in college.......If the players have the talent they get to the league.  QBs in the NFL come from lots of "systems" as do running backs and WRs.    

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Not sure that it's a big deal about what offense the guys run in college.......If the players have the talent they get to the league.  QBs in the NFL come from lots of "systems" as do running backs and WRs.    

I disagree in that a pro team wants a QB to be a plug and play as much as possible and if the system is “elementary” there will be a lot of education to be done just to see if that QB is worthy.  Just like any college grad that is looking for a job, if he was educated in his/her field, they should be able to contribute to the organization immediately. 

Auburn football is not necessarily here to satisfy the Pros, but in every elite prospect’s mind, he is headed for the Pros.  The selling point for the school is to further the players professional goals (just like any other student) and the system (school) he comes from is part of the equation.

There are exception as Cam was, but he is just a freak.

22 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I disagree in that a pro team wants a QB to be a plug and play as much as possible and if the system is “elementary” there will be a lot of education to be done just to see if that QB is worthy.  Just like any college grad that is looking for a job, if he was educated in his/her field, they should be able to contribute to the organization immediately. 

Auburn football is not necessarily here to satisfy the Pros, but in every elite prospect’s mind, he is headed for the Pros.  The selling point for the school is to further the players professional goals (just like any other student) and the system (school) he comes from is part of the equation.

There are exception as Cam was, but he is just a freak.

Agree somewhat but again....look at the NFL and the draft and players come from all systems.....and most make school selection for reasons other than the NFL or perhaps the players are smart enough to see that the NFL draft takes players from many schools so go where you will be happy for three or four years.     You lose some "elite" guys to that NFL argument I guess you but have to run what you know and what fits the players you have.    

As for plug and play QBs.....not sure who you are thinking of because the NFL is evolving toward college offenses and only the cellar dwellers are really looking for a QB to play his first year though sometimes like KC you get lucky.   But I'm pretty sure there was no plan that Mahomes would come in like he did. 

Just my view but unless you are bama,  basing your recruiting pitch on the NFL future is a waste of time.  Auburn can show guys in the NFL in about every position so that's all a guy needs to know....if you are good enough to start at AU the NFL will know who you are, meanwhile you will be in school three or four years and you ought to like the school, the coaches and your fellow players.   

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agree somewhat but again....look at the NFL and the draft and players come from all systems.....and most make school selection for reasons other than the NFL or perhaps the players are smart enough to see that the NFL draft takes players from many schools so go where you will be happy for three or four years.     You lose some "elite" guys to that NFL argument I guess you but have to run what you know and what fits the players you have.    

As for plug and play QBs.....not sure who you are thinking of because the NFL is evolving toward college offenses and only the cellar dwellers are really looking for a QB to play his first year though sometimes like KC you get lucky.   But I'm pretty sure there was no plan that Mahomes would come in like he did. 

Just my view but unless you are bama,  basing your recruiting pitch on the NFL future is a waste of time.  Auburn can show guys in the NFL in about every position so that's all a guy needs to know....if you are good enough to start at AU the NFL will know who you are, meanwhile you will be in school three or four years and you ought to like the school, the coaches and your fellow players.   

Mahomes sat for an entire season and started his second season I believe.  Helping prove your point!!

Almost every athletes dream is to get to the NFL, if you don't pitch getting to that level or facilities you will lose out on most top prospects.   That is how college football is now, it has changed a lot over the last couple decades

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

Almost every athletes dream is to get to the NFL, if you don't pitch getting to that level or facilities you will lose out on most top prospects.   That is how college football is now, it has changed a lot over the last couple decades

Not disagreeing....just saying that AU has ample evidence that it's athletes make it to the NFL if the player is willing to do the work...and has the talent....and there is a lot to pitch about AU besides an NFL future.   .

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not disagreeing....just saying that AU has ample evidence that it's athletes make it to the NFL if the player is willing to do the work...and has the talent....and there is a lot to pitch about AU besides an NFL future.   .

Besides Cam and Dee Ford what NFL player currently do we have that we can point to and look as a major recruiting tool? There is none. No other stars besides Cam and Dee. Stars in the NFL is what grabs recruits attention. MAYBE Kerryon hopefully will be the next guy. 

I am really hoping Stidham goes to the Pats this round.  I just think that is the best situation for him to excel.  Gets to learn from the greatest QB in the game (sorry @GwillMac6;) ) for a few more years and think he fits nicely into that setup.  Much rather them than the Bengals or anyone with a young QB already. 

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I am really hoping Stidham goes to the Pats this round.  I just think that is the best situation for him to excel.  Gets to learn from the greatest QB in the game (sorry @GwillMac6;) ) for a few more years and think he fits nicely into that setup.  Much rather them than ther Bengals or anyone with a young QB already. 

Lol going to the pats is so overrated for a QB. When has the worked for any of them besides Jimmy G who got a awesome contract when he was traded to the niners? Brady does not care about mentoring some young kid. He is focused on winning and the season at task as he should hahahah. 

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Agreed.  Auburn has plenty to offer and it is up to each student athlete to take advantage of it as the try to reach their dream job.  In all honesty we all had similar dreams to be a pro athlete at one time, but our abilities, size, etc. ended those dreams before the college opportunity was an option.  Mine ended in 7th grade, lol

Archived