Fall Camp: Day 5 Observations (8/6)

Auburn Kev

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn practice observations: Starting linebacker held out on Day 5

Updated Aug 06, 3:53 PM;Posted Aug 06, 3:39 PM
KJ Britt Day 5 of fall camp

Auburn linebacker K.J. Britt was held out of practice Tuesday with an undisclosed injury.

Auburn held its fifth practice of fall camp on Tuesday, marking the first day in full pads for the Tigers, who were without a defensive starter.

Junior linebacker K.J. Britt was in an orange non-contact jersey and not in pads Tuesday. The nature and extend of Britt’s injury is unknown at this time, though Gus Malzahn is set to meet with the media at 5:45 p.m. Tuesday.

Britt, who has taken on a greater leadership role this offseason as the starting Mike linebacker, did not appear to have any discernible limp and was in good spirits during the portion of practice open to the media.

Below are some other observations and notes from the fifth day of practice for Auburn:

-- Wide receiver Anthony Schwartz was not in attendance during the open portion of practice. Schwartz underwent successful surgery on Monday afternoon to repair a broken bone in his hand. Malzahn is expected to address the timeline of Schwartz’s return on Tuesday evening.

-- Wide receiver Eli Stove, who sustained a minor knee injury during practice over the weekend, did not appear to be limited on Tuesday. Stove was in a regular blue jersey and full pads, and he was running routes during position drills with the jugs machine. He had a sleeve on his surgically repaired right knee but no brace. During team stretch, he was off to the side stretching on his own, however.

-- Redshirt freshman linebacker Michael Harris was in shells and a regular white defensive jersey on Tuesday but was not participating with the team during the open portion of practice.

The following players were in orange non-contact jerseys on Tuesday: defensive tackle Coynis Miller (shoulder), defensive back Jordyn Peters (Achilles), running back D.J. Williams (shoulder), tight end Luke Deal (ACL) and wide receiver James Owen Moss (undisclosed).

-- Defensive tackle Daquan Newkirk (Achilles) and offensive tackle Prince Michael Sammons (undisclosed) were in attendance but remained sidelined and not dressed out for practice.

-- Auburn’s starting offensive line remained the same, as expected, during position drills. The second-team offensive line was also unchanged from Friday’s opening practice, with left tackle Alec Jackson, left guard Tashawn Manning, center Nick Brahms, right guard Keiondre Jones and right tackle Brodarious Hamm.

-- Auburn ran punt return drills in front of the media on Tuesday. Defensive back Javaris Davis got the first reps, followed by nickelback Christian Tutt, wide receiver Matthew Hill and freshman receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson. Stove and fellow receiver Will Hastings were also grouped with the punt returners but did not receive any reps during those two 5-minute periods.

28 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Malzahn is expected to address the timeline of Schwartz’s return on Tuesday evening.

“His hand is a little banged up. We hope to have him back in the future.” 😎

33 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I hear Bo Nix threw a beautiful touchdown pass 😍😍

If he wins the competition, he flat out earned it. Gatewood is still my boy though. 

Hate that we might have to play coe at DT primarily since DE seems to be the best option for him especially with us being in dire need of a pass rusher but if Handy can be what he's been talked about then I'm fine with it.

Just now, WFE12 said:

Hate that we might have to play coe at DT primarily since DE seems to be the best option for him especially with us being in dire need of a pass rusher but if Handy can be what he's been talked about then I'm fine with it.

Still have TD and Big Kat on the edge of Coe moves inside.  I’m sure Handy, as will most defensive front freshmen, will get plenty of playing time this year.

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Still have TD and Big Kat on the edge of Coe moves inside.  I’m sure Handy, as will most defensive front freshmen, will get plenty of playing time this year.

Both of them gotta step up. I still see untapped potential across the line.

I heard Gatewood had some nice throws.....I hate that Coe has to play tackle, that sucks for him

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

cmon man are u kidding me?

I get it... they go live  and the first time the media reports that one of the QBs is bruised we’d all be calling for Gus’s Head. Just playing devils advocate 

3 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

cmon man are u kidding me?

Well that puts Joey at a disadvantage IMO

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Well that puts Joey at a disadvantage IMO

I think I saw something somewhere that a player was quoted as saying that Joey was a completely different player without the orange jersey on. Hopefully gus realizes that.

5 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I get it... they go live  and the first time the media reports that one of the QBs is bruised we’d all be calling for Gus’s Head. Just playing devils advocate 

Kelly Bryant apparently got hurt during Missouri’s practice.  I think Gus knows what Gatewood can do if needed.

Archived