Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Who is the most hated poster on Aufamily:

Me, @cole256 or @aujeff11

that is the real question lol.

Sorry to burst your bubble DAG, I don't think you're in the top 3.

giphy.gif

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, DAG said:

My thinking is Gus has learned that he can't rely on a primary runner at the QB position, despite the success of 2013.

I can almost guarantee that you’re right about this. He doesn’t want raw passers that can be worked up from their athleticism. He’s courted Gatewood since 2015 though, and it’s a shame he won’t see his own project through.

6 minutes ago, api1957 said:

I dunno 🤷🏻‍♂️. TFL also went from 82 to 96. But I imagine with the offense being down it put our defense on the field more. Goes to show how much one thing can effect (or is it affect) the entire team. 

2017 Auburn got a sack on 8.31% of plays (21st in the country) (Source). This equated to 2.8 sacks/game, up from 1.8/game in 2016.

2018 Auburn got a sack on 7.75% of plays (29th in the country) (Source). This equated to 2.8 sacks/game, the same as in 2017.

8 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Goodness.........................football needs to start and soon

We all can agree with that .

9 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I don’t even like football. I’m just here because I’m lonely.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

We all can agree with that .

We may have a consensus.

Can we all agree that RB will be a strength?

In unison: “dammit Jeff GTFO”

1 minute ago, api1957 said:

I don’t even like football. I’m just here because I’m lonely.

I'm lonely is my Bobby Vinton cover band.

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

I understand the "potential" argument about our D-Line being one of the best in the country. But, there is also evidence ( an available body of facts or information) that we will indeed have a great D-Line based on past performance. So I see Bigbird and aujeff points and it is my opinion that both are correct! War Eagle gentlemen and as always, IGTBAAT!

A logistical impossibility...😉

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I was almost ran off for saying this would happen

Pretty sure you can't be run off. lol

49 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

So the arguing gets worse?...

source.gif

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

3 is the point I'm trying to make though- Accuracy (or throw power for that matter) doesn't tell the whole story for a QB's passing ability. If a QB always tucks and runs instead of stepping into the pocket and throwing the ball, he becomes much more one-dimensional.

Don't think of keeping him from running as hampering him, think of it as taking away his crutch, or the thing he falls back on whenever he has adversity in the passing game. The only way Joey will grow as a passer is if he has to pass the ball in pressure situations. The more you put him in those situations, the more comfortable he will be with stepping into the pocket vs trying to scramble.

Stidham- maybe best pure passer we've ever had

Stidham- not the best game day passer we've ever had

Stidham- looked like 2018 Stidham for his first 5 or 6 snaps with the Patriots and then settled down and went god mode for the rest of the game

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Who said he isn’t? 

I’m not. Working on it and being restricted to it is two different things. Just one scrimmage would suffice be sufficient for me.

Who says Bo is as capable of a passer when he’s bout to get drilled? Nobody,  because it’s unknown. Plenty of information could be had if we went live one time 

I’m doing what I do best and that is coming into debates blindly.

Gus has actually done this in the past. Go look at Cams stat lines against ULM and UT Chattanooga! Gus and company forced Cam to work through progressions and find ways to make plays through the air only. I think those two games really helped Cam grow that season as a QB. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I just skipped the last five pages after skimming about that many. I am almost ashamed of myself for even being here. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Stidham- maybe best pure passer we've ever had

Stidham- not the best game day passer we've ever had

Stidham- looked like 2018 Stidham for his first 5 or 6 snaps with the Patriots and then settled down and went god mode for the rest of the game

Yup, my biggest gripe with Stidham was his tendency to hesitate on throwing a contested ball unless it was a must convert situation. Patriots reporters have been complaining about similar issues in camp. It was nice to see Stidham settle and play well even though it was a preseason game. Hope he has a great career.

1 hour ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

2017 Auburn got a sack on 8.31% of plays (21st in the country) (Source). This equated to 2.8 sacks/game, up from 1.8/game in 2016.

2018 Auburn got a sack on 7.75% of plays (29th in the country) (Source). This equated to 2.8 sacks/game, the same as in 2017.

data.gif

9 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Yup, my biggest gripe with Stidham was his tendency to hesitate on throwing a contested ball unless it was a must convert situation. Patriots reporters have been complaining about similar issues in camp. It was nice to see Stidham settle and play well even though it was a preseason game. Hope he has a great career.

What, you don't think Detroit's 3s gave him as much pressure as the rest of the league's 1s are going to? Haha

9 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I’m doing what I do best and that is coming into debates blindly.

Gus has actually done this in the past. Go look at Cams stat lines against ULM and UT Chattanooga! Gus and company forced Cam to work through progressions and find ways to make plays through the air only. I think those two games really helped Cam grow that season as a QB. 

I definitely see the value in it. Joey would need it if he was named starter. Only getting that experience before he’s named starter isn’t going to help his case when he’s competing neck to neck with a more nuanced guy with more passing skills though. Ferguson clearly says Bo Nix caught up because of that. 

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

What, you don't think Detroit's 3s gave him as much pressure as the rest of the league's 1s are going to? Haha

I guess those 3s should be better than some of our Competition in 2018 atleast haha. 

20 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

data.gif

We were a bonafide pass rusher away from being a Clemson level defensive line. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I definitely see the value in it. Joey would need it if he was named starter. Only getting that experience before he’s named starter isn’t going to help his case when he’s competing neck to neck with a more nuanced guy with more passing skills though. Ferguson clearly says Bo Nix caught up because of that. 

The mobility of the two is likely not a question for the staff any longer. Imo both QBs will do damage in the rushing game this year, will just be a difference of how they achieve. 

Taking the legs from both Bo and Joey will improve both QBs in the air. I’d rather have our QB be calm in the pocket and make plays with their feet when they have to. 

I get what you are saying, but you have to believe the staff is evaluating the two based on how they want to attack. And they are going to pick the QB that they have to make less compromises with. 

Personally I want Joey to be the guy because I believe that if we got max ability out of both QBs, Malzahn offense seems like a better fit for Joey. If we attacked the secondary with a wider variety of concepts, I would push more for Bo just based on what we’ve heard so far.

Honestly, I just want one of them to be the real deal so Malzahn gets the HS recruit off his back.

18 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

This is the most deja vu thread ever ...

It's the internet's version of Groundhog Day the movie.

Archived