I'm done.

TitanTiger

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Gus will be back. He did benefit from 14 pts chipped in by Kevin Steele's group BTW.

It is undeniable that the kids are playing hard for him and never quit. They are in his corner, and that is a positive thing.

He has to fix some glaring issues on offense, and he'll lose many key players from that stellar D unit he's wasted for two years and figure out how to rebuild that OL.  

I hope he figures it out for a whole season, rather than a few decent games. 

This argument makes no sense. Gus isn’t the OC. He’s the head coach. He hired the position coaches. He set the recruiting board for the defense. He hired Kevin Steele. He is responsible for team chemistry and motivation. He gets at least some claim for that defensive success as well. 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Who is saying "I told you so?" I think we all see things about Gus we aren't happy with. Some people want to run him out of town now. Some want to wait and see what happens. Difference of opinion. But most are very happy that we beat Bama in such a heartbreaking fashion for them.

I assume you're talking to me and the reason this thread was even bumped was an I told you so and there has been several posts like you can't get back on the Gus bus and so forth. And accusations of fans wanting Auburn to lose.....if you missed all of that....you must have a bunch of people blocked 😂

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m with Titan. I’m happy despite the vitriolic attacks I’ve received from two posters since the win. I just fear the same issues we had this year will crop up again next year. Yes, we can win 10 games and with our schedule its a “successful” year...but, you can’t help but think about what could’ve been if our offense had shown up in just 2 of the 3 other games.

All that said, I NEVER want this program to fail. I hugged and cried with my son last night as we celebrated and thought of Rod and Paula. Question my fandom or Titan’s or Gwill or bird or anyone else that has criticized Gus if you want but you’re way off base.

You won’t hear anything critical from me for a long while. Am I confident Gus will turn the corner after this? Not really but I’m more than willing to see what happens and back off the negative comments. 

I love Auburn, have since I was 8. No, I didn’t graduate from Auburn. Attended in 97-99 but graduated later from Troy. One of the vitriolic posters who decided to attack me in DM’s seems to think that makes me less of an Auburn guy. Maybe it does I don’t know. I do know I’ve cried, yelled, celebrated and supported Auburn all my life. I love it. I love the Auburn Family. There was no part of me that wasn’t fully invested in Auburn winning that game last night. I can’t help if some of you doubt that. 

War Eagle friends...

Nobody should EVER have to feel a reason to validate their fanhood. The guys that are coming at people in the way you described aren't respected posters. I would argue they aren't even credible posters, I don't think you should sweat those people at all

8 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I’m with Titan. I’m happy despite the vitriolic attacks I’ve received from two posters since the win. I just fear the same issues we had this year will crop up again next year. Yes, we can win 10 games and with our schedule its a “successful” year...but, you can’t help but think about what could’ve been if our offense had shown up in just 2 of the 3 other games.

All that said, I NEVER want this program to fail. I hugged and cried with my son last night as we celebrated and thought of Rod and Paula. Question my fandom or Titan’s or Gwill or bird or anyone else that has criticized Gus if you want but you’re way off base.

You won’t hear anything critical from me for a long while. Am I confident Gus will turn the corner after this? Not really but I’m more than willing to see what happens and back off the negative comments. 

I love Auburn, have since I was 8. No, I didn’t graduate from Auburn. Attended in 97-99 but graduated later from Troy. One of the vitriolic posters who decided to attack me in DM’s seems to think that makes me less of an Auburn guy. Maybe it does I don’t know. I do know I’ve cried, yelled, celebrated and supported Auburn all my life. I love it. I love the Auburn Family. There was no part of me that wasn’t fully invested in Auburn winning that game last night. I can’t help if some of you doubt that. 

War Eagle friends...

He deserves credit for winning 9 genres this year but rest assured if we come out flat in the bowl game , I will be critiquing . We need to carry the moment . Consistency, consistency , consistency 

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I assume you're talking to me and the reason this thread was even bumped was an I told you so and there has been several posts like you can't get back on the Gus bus and so forth. And accusations of fans wanting Auburn to lose.....if you missed all of that....you must have a bunch of people blocked 😂

I just considered that Gus Bus stuff all a joke, not a for real post. I get what you mean about bumping the post. Honestly, I never read through all the posts. I did notice someone was bringing a lot of the negative stuff back up to show what people had said about the upcoming Bama game. Whatever. Can't we all just agree to be happy about the game and quit with the Gus stuff for a while? I mean, we are all good people. We all have our opinions. In the scheme of things, our opinions don't mean much to the outcome. Why's it gotta be a big ol' argument all the time? And I was not talking directly to you on this thread. But I was on the positives thread. Sorry if you don't agree. I don't want to get in any kind of fight with anybody.

Before the season I said I'd be happy with 9 wins. I could go dig it up, but I'm too tired for that today. My stance on Gus is the same, he is stubborn to a fault and it does cost him, and Auburn, greatly. 

Am I thrilled he win, heck yes! Am I happy for the man, absolutely! Do I base keeping him for years to come based off one game, definitely not! 

I'm excited for next year and the possibility to build on the momentum. I will support Gus until he gives me reason not to next season.

I want him to excel at Auburn consistently, and hope he matures into a coach that can. If he does the same as he usually does, thank him for his service and move on. 

Again, thrilled for him and the team. War Eagle! 

On 11/22/2019 at 1:17 PM, AU64 said:

Seems to me that Jimbo made his fortune on Jameis….good but not great  coach before J arrived....and same after he left....most of which was before Clemson rose to power.  JMO but sucked TAMU into a substantially worse contract than AU is trying to deal with.    And of course Clemson has benefitted from the weakest ACC in my memory.  Timing really matters in coaching success.

Jimbo’s last season at FSU was a nightmare, plus we all know Jamison had no business being on the field. 

1 hour ago, johnnyAU said:

Gus will be back. He did benefit from 14 pts chipped in by Kevin Steele's group BTW.

It is undeniable that the kids are playing hard for him and never quit. They are in his corner, and that is a positive thing.

He has to fix some glaring issues on offense, and he'll lose many key players from that stellar D unit he's wasted for two years and figure out how to rebuild that OL.  

I hope he figures it out for a whole season, rather than a few decent games. 

Exactly. 

Bama offense scored 42 and Auburn scored 22. I feel like this was another stars align game where a good break, great game kicking field goals, a few pick 6 and enough offense beat an untested team. 

War Damn Eagle

11 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Gus isn’t the OC. He’s the head coach

You can't honestly tell me he isn't acting as OC. Dude is calling the plays to boot.  He has had an elite D for 2 years, (thanks Kevin) and a subpar O to go along with it. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I’m happy for the win and know Gus will be back so I’ll support him. But the issues that brought me to this position aren’t necessarily gone after one game. If they don’t get addressed we’ll be right back here next year. 

Watch all the issues that brought you to this position get solved with next year’s schedule. Take it one step further, if our athletic department could get us a bye week or a cupcake in between A&M and Georgia instead of back to back weeks plus a cupcake or bye between LSU and the turds instead of back to back weeks, the issues would be solved even greater.

4 minutes ago, tigerfangs said:

Exactly. 

Bama offense scored 42 and Auburn scored 22. I feel like this was another stars align game where a good break, great game kicking field goals, a few pick 6 and enough offense beat an untested team. 

War Damn Eagle

The turds got seven points on a kick off return, and seven more after boobies fumble.

Gus is also the coach that hired Kevin S.

The bigger issue to me is there are Gus fans or anti Gus people..be an auburn fan first. If you are Auburn than you should be able to give credit when credit is due and critique when it is needed. Like I said I give Gus props for 9 wins , but now I am expecting us to at least make a playoff appearance soon. The argument a lot of people make is he has beaten NS more than any other coach around. I agree, so there is no reason he can’t get to .500 against Kirby or a coach O

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

You can't honestly tell me he isn't acting as OC. Dude is calling the plays to boot.  He has had an elite D for 2 years, (thanks Kevin) and a subpar O to go along with it. 

that's not what he's saying. Gus gets resposnibility for both sides of the ball because he is the HEAD COACH

2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I just considered that Gus Bus stuff all a joke, not a for real post. I get what you mean about bumping the post. Honestly, I never read through all the posts. I did notice someone was bringing a lot of the negative stuff back up to show what people had said about the upcoming Bama game. Whatever. Can't we all just agree to be happy about the game and quit with the Gus stuff for a while? I mean, we are all good people. We all have our opinions. In the scheme of things, our opinions don't mean much to the outcome. Why's it gotta be a big ol' argument all the time? And I was not talking directly to you on this thread. But I was on the positives thread. Sorry if you don't agree. I don't want to get in any kind of fight with anybody.

You asked who said right after I posted so I answered. Nix just posted a post where you said good post where he said he's been attacked by a couple of people. I don't even care about Gus, IMO it's usually a dumb argument, I don't do them.....but I have a few friends on here and I'll defend them

1 minute ago, shabby said:

that's not what he's saying. Gus gets resposnibility for both sides of the ball because he is the HEAD COACH

...and his specialty is the offense, which isn't getting it done. 

I don't think there's anybody who doesn't want the best for Auburn. There may be different opinions on who is the best for us but that's not unusual. Can't attack people who formulate articulate reasons for believing what they believe.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

The bigger issue to me is there are Gus fans or anti Gus people..be an auburn fan first. If you are Auburn than you should be able to give credit when credit is due and critique when it is needed. Like I said I give Gus props for 9 wins , but now I am expecting us to at least make a playoff appearance soon. The argument a lot of people make is he has beaten NS more than any other coach around. I agree, so there is no reason he can’t get to .500 against Kirby or a coach O

Well said DAG. I am always willing to give Gus his due. My criticism really has nothing to do with our record this year but how we got there. Anyway, he did good last night. And credit where its due again that his kids play hard for him no matter what.

7 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

...and his specialty is the offense, which isn't getting it done. 

got it done last night......    

Also Got us a 9-3 record. you should probably mail him a thank you card.

hold him accountable for what shortcomings may be, but why zero credit for the many positive things happening?  That seems to happen a lot around here. Can't we all agree that we have pretty good coach with room to grow? I actually think play calling has been pretty damn good this year

9 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

The turds got seven points on a kick off return, and seven more after boobies fumble.

Gus is also the coach that hired Kevin S.

Not sure why Gus hiring Steele entered the convo based on my post, HIS offense has been less than what’s needed to be great. If you disagree, make a point

17 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

See... that's just so short sighted. He was involved in the recruitment of Kevin, his subordinate coaches, and all of these players to Auburn. 

There's also a lot more to being an OC than playcalling. Gus calls plays, but he doesn't handle the remainder of the OC duties. 

2 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

To some degree Nix progress will certainly potentially help Gus. The main person who can help Gus though is Gus. Do we need to rehash how stubborn he is??

No. But I can accept that he is in charge, and it’s his ship to run. Now if he can succeed by doing it his stubborn way then so be it it’s a win. If not then it will all take care of itself and he will be on his way out. 

1 hour ago, tigerfangs said:

Not sure why Gus hiring Steele entered the convo based on my post, HIS offense has been less than what’s needed to be great. If you disagree, make a point

With a easier schedule like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, the turds.. watch how much better the offense of Gus looks.

3 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

With a easier schedule like Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, the turds.. watch how much better the offense of Gus looks.

You like the offense, and I think they stutter more than they march. 

Agree to disagree. WDE

38 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Auburn is not moving to another conference. So having a coach that can consistently field a competent offense against teams with similar talent levels is important.  

Archived