I'm done.

TitanTiger

12 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Other than the 10 million pledged yesterday 

Chump change compared to what they'll be missing out on from other donors. We're talking about billionaires here.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Offensive Line recruiting has been bad for a couple years and we are reaping it. It’s only going to get worse. 

Exactly. If any of you thought Bo has been bailing the pocket and running for his life this season...you ain't seen nothing yet.

21 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He's done and I think anyone looking objectively from the outside could understand why.  Gus bet on himself and his offense this year.  It simply hasn't worked.

Sitting in the stands yesterday was one of the more frustrating experiences I've had in a while.  The fans were into it early.  Defense was playing lights out.  And still one side of the ball couldn't get anything going.  Walking out you could just feel the air leaking out of the program from our fans.  No one was really pissed.  No one was surprised.  It was more of "yeah, that's about right" and it's sad.

That's how it felt to me at home. I'm not even that upset really because what happened yesterday was exactly what I expected. Fan apathy is why FSU fired Taggart, the stadium was half full and they were hemorrhaging money in tickets and donations. Apathy is death if you're a program and we're teetering on the edge here. 

5 hours ago, TigerOne said:

Other than the 10 million pledged yesterday 

NEW donor. That itself gives pause. And hope. Generous family!

9521460.jpeg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

9 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

That's how it felt to me at home. I'm not even that upset really because what happened yesterday was exactly what I expected. Fan apathy is why FSU fired Taggart, the stadium was half full and they were hemorrhaging money in tickets and donations. Apathy is death if you're a program and we're teetering on the edge here. 

This. I get upset in the moment but once the game is over there’s no lingering “what might have been” much because the outcomes feel preordained. Watching is pretty frustrating because you can see the athletes that we have are good enough to be winning these games. My level of excitement for AU football has been pretty low since 2015 and I’ve considered myself a pretty loyal fan. Stopped buying season tickets and donating a few years ago. Maybe that will change if we bring in a guy that generates some excitement in the program. A guy with charisma like Bruce Pearl would help....

1 hour ago, caleb1633 said:

Chump change compared to what they'll be missing out on from other donors. We're talking about billionaires here.

Who is a billionaire that donates to Auburn?

3 hours ago, ChltteTiger said:

I have not seen any posts this season by the "usual suspects" saying they agree it is time to get rid of Gus. Instead what I have seen is stupid posts calling the rest of us "disloyal" or today saying we are driving away recruits.

@ChltteTiger, There have been several that gave me and others angry reactions which resulted in negative board reputation back in 2017 when a good portion started wanting a change.

There will always be those that tout the party line like [sarcasm] trained brain washed sycophants...i mean.... like good party comrades [\sarcasm], but I'm now seeing posts by those same people who flamed others in the past for what is now considered conventional wisdom.

It's also a reminder to be careful when thinking that a unpopular comment, such as begging for a coaching change for the last 3 years, warrants such vitriol. The angry emote actually damages a commenters standing.

What if you were a billionaire with 50 mil to throw at living your dream...and you offered a power 5 school that money in exchange for them letting you coach one season.  Would any school jump on that?

3 hours ago, rophle said:

Who is a billionaire that donates to Auburn?

I guarantee Lowder, Rains, and a lot of the other big names have net worths greater than $1B. And I also guarantee you we have a much higher amount of multi-millionaires as donors than you'd think.

1 minute ago, caleb1633 said:

I guarantee Lowder, Rains, and a lot of the other big names have net worths greater than $1B. And I also guarantee you we have a much higher amount of multi-millionaires as donors than you'd think.

Millionaires yes, billionaires no. 

24 minutes ago, rophle said:

Millionaires yes, billionaires no. 

Tim Cook?  :jossun:  Oops, guess not.

"Tim Cook is worth $625 million and leads a $1 trillion company — but the native Alabaman doesn't live very lavishly. Apple CEO Tim Cook's net worth is estimated to be $625.37 million.Aug 8, 2019"

But he may have a few dollars to spare.  

32 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Lowder is not a billionaire so don't don't lose money betting and guaranteeing it. I doubt Raines is either.

4 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Lowder is not a billionaire so don't don't lose money betting and guaranteeing it. I doubt Raines is either.

Well, I haven't looked at their portfolio, so maybe not. Either way, there's a lot of deep pockets that can have a say in all of this.

14 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

There were those ready to write the checks last year but Harbert and Leath stopped it. 

How do you know this? Or just something you heard.? Just asking since  I have heard things like this over the years and knew for a fact at the time it wasn't true

It's a ton of money.  For the century and cost of living at the time, the Statue of Liberty and its pedestal were as well.  School children, y'all, pennies by pennies.  Everything is doable.  

"...It was a likely possibility that the statue while being finished in Paris would never leave France as it would have no home in America. The newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer, who had purchased The World, a New York City daily, in the early 1880s, took up the cause of the statue’s pedestal. He mounted an energetic fund drive, promising to print the name of each donor, no matter how small the donation.

Pulitzer’s audacious plan worked, and millions of people around the country began donating whatever they could. Schoolchildren across America began donating pennies. For instance, a kindergarten class in Iowa sent $1.35 to Pulitzer’s fund drive. Pulitzer and the New York World were finally able to announce, in August 1885, that the final $100,000 for the statue’s pedestal had been raised..."

However, I'm going to guess that most potential donors for THIS cause might rather be kept anonymous...  ;)

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

How do you know this? Or just something you heard.? Just asking since  I have heard things like this over the years and knew for a fact at the time it wasn't true

It's something I've heard from more than one person I trust, as well as seen alluded to on the Bunker.

Most millionaires would probably be reluctant to give money to buy out a contract when they have no way of knowing what comes next.   Give it for a building and the school will put your name on it ..so you get some tangible result.  At least the latter is tax deductable...not so sure about the former...

55 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Most millionaires would probably be reluctant to give money to buy out a contract when they have no way of knowing what comes next.   Give it for a building and the school will put your name on it ..so you get some tangible result.  At least the latter is tax deductable...not so sure about the former...

I think that's why (if the rumors are true) that they were willing to front the bill on the buyout last year, because Stoops was being labeled as the potential replacement. That's an investment they'd be willing to make.

🏻

Watching 3 of our rivals (Clemson, LSU, and UGA) climb back to prominence on the back of our ineptitude as been hard.  Had our coaches built the team we're capable of having, those 3 programs have less prestige and we're the ones challenging bama every year for the playoff spot.

33 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

🏻

Sorry, I'm not a Twitter expert.

Is this guy a big deal?

8 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Is this guy a big deal?

I don’t think so. Just kind of put the situation succinctly. 

16 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Is this guy a big deal?

Probably not, but I’m sure he has been harassed by several of our posters about not being a *true* Auburn fan.

13 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Well, I haven't looked at their portfolio, so maybe not. Either way, there's a lot of deep pockets that can have a say in all of this.

LOL...so much for a guarantee. :jossun:

Archived