OL coach

auburn4ever

Does nobody consider that it just may go back to the offensive scheme?  Our blocking designs are great when the defense does what we want them to do.  Defenses have figured out that our blocking schemes are not set up for odd formations, stunts and delayed blitzes.  We don’t or can’t adjust at the line of scrimmage.  With that said, we do have issues in recruiting offensive linemen. We don’t put many offensive lineman in  the NFL, which does have an impact on recruiting them to Auburn. 

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, auskip07 said:

im pretty sure my point which was stated in my initial post and then reiterated in the response was that  its not as easy as pointing to a star ranking.       "its a hard position to recruit"   

historically you can point to a hand full that have panned out  but the amount that dont  is 3x that alteast. 

I pointed to a direct comparison between our recent offensive lines...16/17 and 18/19. Most of the guys on the 16 and 17 lines were higher rated than the 18/19 guys. The 16/17 lines were better. I dont think it's that hard. Recruit better guys and you'll likely get better results. So says our recent history. 

We really need a Rodney Garner type coach for the OL. One that can recruit and develop.  One that will not accept anything but full commitment.  Tough love.  No BS.  Get in guys faces and make them do it right.  Relentless effort.  You know, like our DL.  

14 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

IMO, the game has gone byebye to JB. It's time for a younger coach with fresh ideas on recruiting top OL.

I mean, that MAY be the case. But no one really knows.

There's really not a whole lot of things you can do at the position. If you're run blocking, you're pulling guards or chipping ends and getting to the second level. If you're pass blocking, you're dropping back to make a pocket for your QB. And if you're running the RPO, you're hanging out on the LOS trying to open up a running lane.

Now yeah, there maybe an argument on the recruiting aspect. But O-Line prospects don't tend to rack up a star-count. Evaluation and development plays the biggest part.

You can even make the argument that our sharp decrease in holding penalties is a sign of development. And if so JB Grimes might've done the best he could with what he had to work with.

All I'm saying is that it is NOT a clear necessity to oust JB Grimes.

IF we make a change, I'd bet it won't happen until after the early or even late recruiting dates.  No way we put what we do have, in jeopardy.  We need to strengthen that position for the 2020 season and the 2021 class.

would anyone really be pleased with a new o line coach or are some of you just using it as an excuse to bash gus? the reason i say this is because it was not that long ago folks called coach gardner past his prime and wanting a change. anyone remember? and odd that coach has his best d line ever.

14 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

IF we make a change, I'd bet it won't happen until after the early or even late recruiting dates.  No way we put what we do have, in jeopardy.  We need to strengthen that position for the 2020 season and the 2021 class.

hey man what date is the early signing period? thanx

42 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

would anyone really be pleased with a new o line coach or are some of you just using it as an excuse to bash gus? the reason i say this is because it was not that long ago folks called coach gardner past his prime and wanting a change. anyone remember? and odd that coach has his best d line ever.

Yes I think everyone would be pleased with a new OL coach.  I haven't even seen any Gus bashing in this thread..

I say we go hard after that Pittman dude coaching at Arky. It doesn't look like he will last long in his new position. Tee Hee

We need better O-Line recruiting which it appears we did this year. From what I have read here Dilly had a lot to do with that and other coaches. I understand Morris is also a good recruiter. So as long as Morris and Grimes can evaluate the kids and we can recruit the numbers we need each year we should be fine with JB. Did see this year that JB does not have to be primary recruiter and we can get what appears to be a great class.  The big question is was this years class a one time fluke because of dire need or have we turned the page on O-Line recruiting.

I am not against getting a new O-Line coach but I don't want us to bite off our nose to spite our face.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, weagl1 said:

Biggest issue is recruiting.  J.B. is a good coach but when he left and came back the cupboard was pretty bare.  That clown Gus hired while he was gone screwed that up.  

J.B. Grimes is  an OK coach.  He was the Arkansas State Oline coach when Gus was  our  OC, and was the UConn Oline coach when Gus brought him back.  He is not in high demand by any power 5 staffs. He is a C-USA caliber coach.

I think we are still dealing with the effects of what Herb Hand left, and Grimes has done a pretty good job with what he's had. They have improved during the seasons and I think if we can get through this next year which will be the most challenging, and continue to improve...  the recruiting results will also start to pay off along with the work Grimes has laid so far..

I think Grimes is a good coach. Gus and now especially Morris can pick up the O line recruiting slack Grimes isn't as good at.   my .02 

Didn't JB Grimes recruit Kaleb Kim and others in his class? JB didn't inherit these guys randomly, he did the leg work on recruiting these dudes. Unless I'm mistaken...which wouldn't be the first time LOL

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

Didn't JB Grimes recruit Kaleb Kim and others in his class? JB didn't inherit these guys randomly, he did the leg work on recruiting these dudes. Unless I'm mistaken...which wouldn't be the first time LOL

possible he did... I could be way off too... Recruiting def needs to be better for O line and grimes doesn't seem to do that as well...

7 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

possible he did... I could be way off too... Recruiting def needs to be better for O line and grimes doesn't seem to do that as well...

According to this: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2015/kaleb-kim-6442 JB Grimes was the lead recruiter for Kim. So the seniors were all his guys (Although I know Tega/Driscoll were not as Tega came in as a DE and Driscoll was a transfer) . Herb Hand coached em for 2 years then JB got em for the last half of their careers.

Damn look at Kim's offer list though! Herb Hand definitely did not develop our guys at all

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Jay G Tate has mentioned that he didnt think JB will be back next year. 

21 hours ago, Tiger said:

Damn look at Kim's offer list though! Herb Hand definitely did not develop our guys at all

yep.

I wonder if it was just Hand or the battle of Offensive identities between the OCs n HC while hand was here... bit of both maybe?

5 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

yep.

I wonder if it was just Hand or the battle of Offensive identities between the OCs n HC while hand was here... bit of both maybe?

Good point. I'm sure the combination of it all didn't help matters

Archived